|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dicey's reaction when Jeff comes in to the market?
2. Who is the person that shows up on Saturday as a surprise when Dicey is working on the boat?
3. What does James offer as proof that Maybeth is making progress?
4. What is Millie's reaction to Jeff's visit to the market?
5. What does the group do after Thanksgiving dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dicey conclude when she first sees the failing home ec grade on her report card?
2. What does Dicey discover as a result of the last minute shopping duties suggested by Gram?
3. Mina rises to Dicey's defense for two reasons, one of which is she personally likes Dicey. What is the other reason?
4. What does Dicey immediately do the same night Gram gives the advice about letting others help.
5. The home economics teacher Miss Eversleigh gives a short speech about how important it is to know the life skills she is teaching in class. What is Dicey's reaction to the speech?
6. What family perspective concerning Momma occurs to Dicey as she does the Christmas shopping focused on each family member?
7. What is it about the wood carved chicken that ultimately has a big impact on Dicey?
8. What does Dicey tell Jeff in response to his invitation to the dance?
9. What does Mr. Lingerle talk about during dinner that shows he truly is concerned about the Tillerman family?
10. What does Dicey learn from Mina about Gram that a new person to town most likely would not know for awhile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A recurring theme is the opening up of oneself, letting others get to know you and enter in to your life. The opening up is a process of steps, not a single event. Discuss the author's techniques in using the characters of Jeff and Mina and the deliberate separate steps the process takes for Dicey.
Essay Topic 2
Elaborate on the symbolism of the sailboat found in the barn that is still very serviceable but needs to be scraped of the old and peeling paint, the roughness smoothed out and the exterior restored with a new coat of fresh paint. What are the parallels that liken to the four kids newly arrived at the farm?
Essay Topic 3
The author presents four kids from the same Tillerman lineage, yet two opposite personality types. Cite several instances that contrast the more reserved acceptance seeking personalities of James and Maybeth versus the combative assertive personalities of Dicey and Sammy.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)