|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 2-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gram's announcement concerning finances?
(a) The insurance company has approved a cash settlement for the family.
(b) Maryland County Trust Bureau wants to visit the family, possibly to provide funding.
(c) They must go on welfare in order to make ends meet.
(d) The insurance company has denied a cash settlement for the family.
2. As they discuss school, what trait about James does Dicey remind herself ?
(a) James thinks about things too much.
(b) James is a kind and sensitive person.
(c) James has a mean nasty streak inside himself.
(d) James is a lonesome disturbed person.
3. What does James say about fitting in at the new school?
(a) James cares about fitting in, Dicey does not care.
(b) Teachers and principals make it easy for new comers to fit in.
(c) Dicey cares about fitting in, James does not care.
(d) New comers never quite fit in at middle school and high school.
4. What sort of chore work does Dicey welcome to keep her focused on her project?
(a) Separating and cleaning moving parts.
(b) Cutting and shaping.
(c) Scraping and painting.
(d) Polishing and shining.
5. What is it about the changed circumstances that has brought each of the kids to insecurity and doubt?
(a) The new hope that life is about to get a whole lot better.
(b) Gram might be too weak and fragile to permanently handle their lives.
(c) The four will likely have to split up because no one person can handle all 4.
(d) Courts, lawyers, schools and social workers cannot be totally trusted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dicey's response when Mina says she counted on Dicey not to be ordinary?
2. What is Dicey's reaction when the children go to bed without saying goodnight to her?
3. What is Gram's matter of fact statement concerning the kids?
4. What does Dicey's new friend say that indicates a true friendship is possible?
5. What is it that distracts Dicey as she hurries from the school to the bike rack?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)