|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What password does Gabrielle first try to gain access into the Senator's computer?
2. What reason does Gabrielle give Senator Sexton for getting files from his office when he calls her there?
3. Where does Gabrielle take a taxi to after leaving Chris Harper's office at NASA?
4. What does Rachel ask the helicopter pilot to turn on when first arriving at the Goya?
5. Who does the Delta Force want to take the blame for the death of the political official they are assassinating in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Xavia describe the reason Michael's statement about the chondrules on the meteorite were false?
2. How does Michael use the Triton to defend himself against the Delta Force?
3. What does Gabrielle say to Chris Harper when she goes into his office at NASA?
4. What does Ekstrom tell the president when he calls him in Chapter 111?
5. How is the megaplume that Rachel and the others see at the Goya described?
6. What happens when the Delta Force arrives at the Goya in Chapter 110?
7. What happens when Corky goes for a motorboat after the Delta Force arrives on the Goya?
8. How are the controller's feelings regarding the dead body count to protect his secret described?
9. What does Senator Sexton do with Rachel's fax in Chapter 126?
10. How are the hammerhead sharks that surround the Goya described regarding their sense of smell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's use of misdirection in the book. What purpose does the author have for creating misdirection with negative characters like Marjorie Tench and Lawrence Ekstrom?
Essay Topic 2
True to its title, the book does a good job of deceiving the readers leading them down many paths with no real truth and honesty found.
Part 1.) How does the author deceive the reader with characters like Marjorie Tench and Lawrence Ekstrom who seemed motivated to falsify the meteorite finding?
Part 2.) How does the author present several levels of deception in the book with the inclusion of Senator Sexton's bribery scheme?
Part 3.) What might the author be saying about the nature of politics and power based on his portrayal of deception in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The character Rachel is one of the leads in the book and brings an interesting level of knowledge and depth to the book.
Part 1.) What role does Rachel's job as intelligence liaison to the White House play in her ability to stay alive in the book?
Part 2.) How is the author able to humanize Rachel's character by noting her fear of open water?
Part 3.) What impact might Rachel's difficult relationship with her father play in her survival instincts in the book?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)