|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What monument does the Delta Force head to after boarding the Kiowa helicopter?
2. Who retrieves the fax number that Rachel sent the meteorite information to?
3. What do Xavia and Corky discover about the meteorite after testing the chondrules on the Goya?
4. Who do Rachel and Michael find on the remains of a speedboat after they are rescued in Chapter 130?
5. Who does the president recall attempted to help him by exposing Senator Sexton's affair months before but that he refused?
Essay Topic 1
True to its title, the book does a good job of deceiving the readers leading them down many paths with no real truth and honesty found.
Part 1.) How does the author deceive the reader with characters like Marjorie Tench and Lawrence Ekstrom who seemed motivated to falsify the meteorite finding?
Part 2.) How does the author present several levels of deception in the book with the inclusion of Senator Sexton's bribery scheme?
Part 3.) What might the author be saying about the nature of politics and power based on his portrayal of deception in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's use of misdirection in the book. What purpose does the author have for creating misdirection with negative characters like Marjorie Tench and Lawrence Ekstrom?
Essay Topic 3
Politics plays an important role throughout the book and allows the author to impart factual information about the governmental system into the book.
Part 1.) What role do press conferences and the media play in the portrayal of politics in the book?
Part 2.) What is the nature of the author's portrayal of the presidential candidates Zackary Herney and Sedgwick Sexton?
Part 3.) What is telling of the true nature of politics based on Gabrielle's feelings towards them by the end of the book?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)