|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Chris Harper tell Gabrielle is setting him up about lying about PODS?
2. Who finds Rachel's fax about the meteorite hoax in Chapter 125?
3. What is the name of Michael's research center that he calls in Chapter 91?
4. Who do Rachel and Michael find on the remains of a speedboat after they are rescued in Chapter 130?
5. Who is the political official that the Delta Force assassinated at the FDR Memorial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Corky goes for a motorboat after the Delta Force arrives on the Goya?
2. Why is Gabrielle stuck in traffic in Chapter 100?
3. Describe the conversation between Gabrielle and Senator Sexton when he calls her on her cell phone at ABC studios.
4. How is Rachel able to send a fax telling the truth about the meteorite?
5. How does Gabrielle get into Senator Sexton's office computer?
6. How does Rachel escape the Triton with Michael's help after it sinks?
7. How does Michael use the Triton to defend himself against the Delta Force?
8. What is the nature of Xavia's phone message to Michael in Chapter 91?
9. What does Ekstrom tell the president when he calls him in Chapter 111?
10. While on an airplane headed for Washington, what reason does Corky give for believing the rock is still a meteorite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's use of misdirection in the book. What purpose does the author have for creating misdirection with negative characters like Marjorie Tench and Lawrence Ekstrom?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of the Delta Force of the book. What about the Delta Force's missions in the book note the seriousness of the secret they were keeping and the power of the players involved?
Essay Topic 3
True to its title, the book does a good job of deceiving the readers leading them down many paths with no real truth and honesty found.
Part 1.) How does the author deceive the reader with characters like Marjorie Tench and Lawrence Ekstrom who seemed motivated to falsify the meteorite finding?
Part 2.) How does the author present several levels of deception in the book with the inclusion of Senator Sexton's bribery scheme?
Part 3.) What might the author be saying about the nature of politics and power based on his portrayal of deception in the book?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)