|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stella have that Angela wants her to give the detectives?
2. What does Angela do when she learns of Stella's death?
3. Why does Angela Foley's grandmother not raise Angela?
4. How does Dr. Kerrison appear as he is answering Dalgliesh's questions?
5. What do the detectives immediately see upon opening the chapel door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene at the chapel when Dalgliesh and Massingham arrive and what do they do.
2. What does Dalgliesh learn from Miss Willard?
3. Where do Dalgliesh and Massingham go at the opening of Book 4, Chapter 1 and what do they learn?
4. Describe Brenda Pridmore's walk through the construction site.
5. What does Dalgliesh think about concerning his interview with Dr. Kerrison?
6. What does Dalgliesh learn from Domenica about Dr. Lorrimer?
7. Describe Domenica Schofield.
8. What does Dalgliesh ask Domenica and Howarth and what astounds the detectives with Domenica's reply?
9. What do the detectives learn from Mr. Lorrimer?
10. What does Angela Foley do when she learns of Stella's death and what does Dalgliesh believe about the death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by this book. Discuss the following:
1. Name two ideas/concepts you think may have been a part of the author's agenda. Analyze those ideas throughout the book and discuss whether you think P.D. James has an agenda concerning those ideas.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare and contrast Dr. Lorrimer with Dr. Kerrison. How are they similar and how are they different? Do you think Dr. Lorrimer's hatred of Dr. Kerrison had any basis in Dr. Lorrimer's own self image?
2. Compare and contrast Director Howarth with Domenica Schofield. How are they similar and how are they different? Can you tell where they have similar issues by being half siblings?
3. Compare and contrast Adam Dalgliesh with John Massingham.How are they similar and how are they different? How are their investigative styles alike or different? How do they interact with people differently?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Death of an Expert Witness. What is it about a small village in England changes the plot compared to a setting in a large city in the United States? Does the fact that in England the death penalty is illegal make a difference in how the reader feels about Dr. Kerrison in the end?
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Death of an Expert Witness. How is the theme represented by symbolism, the characters' behaviors, or the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Death of an Expert Witness. How are the themes represented by symbolism, the characters' behaviors, or the action?
This section contains 1,365 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)