|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new information does Domenica give the detectives?
2. What does Stella say her publisher has for her?
3. About what does Dalgliesh question Dr. Kerrison concerning Nell?
4. What is Domenica's attitude towards the detectives?
5. What is Doyle doing in his car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dalgliesh learn from Miss Willard?
2. What does Dalgliesh learn upon interviewing Inspector Doyle?
3. Describe the scene at the chapel when Dalgliesh and Massingham arrive and what do they do.
4. What does Dalgliesh ask Domenica and Howarth and what astounds the detectives with Domenica's reply?
5. Where does Brenda work the day after the discovery of the murder and what does she discuss with Director Howarth?
6. Describe Dr. Lorrimer.
7. Describe Miss Willard.
8. Describe Brenda Pridmore's walk through the construction site.
9. What do the detectives learn from Mr. Lorrimer?
10. How does Dalgliesh sum up his investigation so far at the end of the first day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nell Kerrison is introduced in the first few chapters. Though she may not be considered a major character, her emotional problems are what ultimately inadvertently condemn her father as a murderer. Additionally, her father chooses to confess his crimes in order that Nell does not have to testify against him. Discuss the following:
1. Briefly analyze Nell's character. What are her strengths and weaknesses. How do her weaknesses cause problems for Dr. Kerrison?
2. Do you believe Dr. Kerrison loves William more than Nell? Why or why not? Use specific examples.
3. What sort of impact do you think it will have on Nell when she realizes she exposes her father as a murderer?
Essay Topic 2
Death of an Expert Witness, like many murder/mystery novels ends on an unhappy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many people want what they perceive as a happy ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Death of an Expert Witness and whether or not this book fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Death of an Expert Witness is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. State what you think are three characteristics of a successful novel and whether or not Death of an Expert Witness in your opinion is a successful novel. Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
The murder of Stella Mawson comes late in the book. Discuss the following:
1. How does the murder of Stella Mawson contribute to the basic plot line or not?
2. How different would Death of an Expert Witness be if Mawson has not been murdered?
3. How did you as a reader react to Mawson's murder? Explain thoroughly.
4. Most readers have heard of the term "gratuitous violence" when referring to violence that seems to be a part of a story for no good reason. Is this true of Mawson's murder? Explain your thoughts with examples.
This section contains 1,376 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)