|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Dalgliesh question Dr. Kerrison?
2. Whose son is Massingham?
3. About what does Susan Bradley call Middlemass?
4. What do the detectives think about Mrs. Bidwell's version of the fight between Middlemass and Lorrimer?
5. Who interrupts the meeting between Howarth and Dr. Lorrimer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Adam Dalgliesh.
2. About what situation does Dalgliesh try to understand?
3. What does Paul Middlemass tell Dalgliesh and about what does Middlemass lie?
4. What does Susan Bradley ask of Paul Middlemass and what does he do about the request?
5. How do Angela Foley and Stella Mawson come to be living together?
6. What is the situation with Mawson and Foley's need for money and how is Dr. Lorrimer mentioned in regards to money?
7. Describe Mrs. Bidwell.
8. What does Howarth do after Dalgliesh arrives and what does Dalgliesh learn about the case?
9. Describe the scene between Cliff and Susan Bradley as she is breastfeeding their new baby.
10. Describe Dr. Kerrison.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by this book. Discuss the following:
1. Name two ideas/concepts you think may have been a part of the author's agenda. Analyze those ideas throughout the book and discuss whether you think P.D. James has an agenda concerning those ideas.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
Essay Topic 2
There are several instances of irony in Death of an Expert Witness. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly define and offer several examples of irony.
2. Find three cases of irony in Death of an Expert Witness. Describe the situation and why you think it is ironic.
3. There is another type of irony called "dramatic irony." Thoroughly define the term "dramatic irony," and find at least one example of it in Death of an Expert Witness and explain why you think it is dramatic irony.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Death of an Expert Witness. What is it about a small village in England changes the plot compared to a setting in a large city in the United States? Does the fact that in England the death penalty is illegal make a difference in how the reader feels about Dr. Kerrison in the end?
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Death of an Expert Witness. How is the theme represented by symbolism, the characters' behaviors, or the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Death of an Expert Witness. How are the themes represented by symbolism, the characters' behaviors, or the action?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)