|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes to tell Dr. Lorrimer's father about the doctor's death?
2. About what does Susan Bradley call Middlemass?
3. What does Mrs. Bidwell tell Dalgliesh about the lab coat?
4. What is Dr. Kerrison's biggest concern as he is leaving?
5. Who is Inspector Blakelock?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Angela Foley do when she learns of Stella's death and what does Dalgliesh believe about the death?
2. What do several witnesses on a bus tell the detectives?
3. Describe Dr. Lorrimer.
4. How do Angela Foley and Stella Mawson come to be living together?
5. Describe Stella Mawson.
6. What does Dalgliesh think about concerning his interview with Dr. Kerrison?
7. What does Nell do after her father has left the house?
8. Describe Brenda Pridmore.
9. About what situation does Dalgliesh try to understand?
10. What is the situation with Mawson and Foley's need for money and how is Dr. Lorrimer mentioned in regards to money?
Essay Topic 1
Obviously, suspense/mystery is a part of the detective genre. Answer the following questions:
1. What do you think is the difference between suspense and mystery? Give examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Does Death of an Expert Witness hold more suspense of mystery? Explain your answer with examples.
3. Would you rather read a mystery or a suspense or do you think there is any difference between the two?
4. Does Death of an Expert Witness offer enough suspense and/or mystery to keep you turning the pages? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Most of the action of the story is based upon the main plot--that of finding Dr. Lorrimer's murderer. However, there are a couple minor sub-plots in the novel. Discuss the following:
1. What is a sub-plot? Do you think most works of fiction have at least one sub-plot? Why or why not?
2. Identify 2 subplots in Death of an Expert Witness. Identify the parts of the sub-plots you examine such as exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution and whether the sub-plot contains all these elements.
3. What do you think is the purpose of the 2 sub-plots you identify? Discuss with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of characters who hate and/or dislike Dr. Lorrimer. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss Director Howarth's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Do you think Dr. Lorrimer feels the same way towards Director Howarth? Do you think Howarth's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead Howarth to commit murder?
2. Discuss Domenica Schofield's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Do she ever care for Dr. Lorrimer? Do you think Domenica's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead her to commit murder?
3. Discuss Cliff Bradley's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Why do you think Cliff makes the comments he makes in the library as the staff is awaiting the arrival of Dalgliesh? Do you think Bradley's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead him to commit murder?
This section contains 3,452 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)