|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Howarth wish?
2. About what does Susan Bradley call Middlemass?
3. What does Mrs. Bidwell tell Dalgliesh about the lab coat?
4. How is Angela during her initial interview with Dalgliesh?
5. How do most of the staff seem to respond to Dr. Lorrimer's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives at the lab before any one else and what surprises one of them?
2. What does Paul Middlemass tell Dalgliesh and about what does Middlemass lie?
3. What is Howarth doing the night of Dr. Lorrimer's murder and how does he back up his story?
4. Describe the conversation between Inspector Blakelock and Adam Dalgliesh and what Dalgliesh seems to be quite concerned about during the questioning.
5. What is the situation with Mawson and Foley's need for money and how is Dr. Lorrimer mentioned in regards to money?
6. What does Howarth talk to Dr. Lorrimer about and what is the outcome?
7. What does Susan Bradley ask of Paul Middlemass and what does he do about the request?
8. How is the staff at Hoggatt's Lab sorted for who needs to stay and who may go home?
9. Why does Blakelock go up to Dr. Lorrimer's lab and what does he tell Director Howarth when coming back downstairs?
10. Describe the scene between Cliff and Susan Bradley as she is breastfeeding their new baby.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death of an Expert Witness is one book in a series of novels involving Adam Dalgliesh. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing and reading a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing and reading a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes of the novel, as alluded to over and over, is the idea that the investigation into a crime disregards all claims to privacy. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the ways in which Dr. Lorrimer's privacy is violated after his death. Is this right and necessary? Is there any way to conduct an investigation to discover his murderer without violating his privacy?
2. Not only is Dr. Lorrimer's privacy violated, but so, too, is the privacy of several other characters. Discuss two other characters (besides Dr. Larrimer) whose privacy is violated in the course of the murder investigation. Is this invasion of privacy right? Necessary? Is there any way to conduct an investigation to discover the murderer without violating these people's privacy?
3. In the "real" world, many times the privacy of the victim's and perpetrator's families are also violated. Do you believe the police and press have the right to invade innocent people's privacy? What can be done to minimize the effects of this on the families of those involved in a crime? Do you think the criminal's family deserves as much respect to privacy as the victim's family? Why or why not? Do Nell and William deserve privacy?
Essay Topic 3
It seems that Dr. Kerrison should know a lot about crime and how a detective investigates a crime scene to be able to avoid some of the mistakes he makes that leads to his exposure as the murderer. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze throughout the book all the mistakes Dr. Kerrison makes. Are they stupid mistakes or is Dalgliesh so good that Dalgliesh is able to pick up on very tiny clues?
2. Sometimes it almost seems that a criminal wants to get caught. Do you think this is partially why Dr. Kerrison makes the mistakes he does? Why or why not?
3. Dalgliesh states that Kerrison almost seems relieved when the detectives drive up to arrest him. Why do you think this is?
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)