|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Dalgliesh question Dr. Kerrison?
2. What does the caller tell Mrs. Bidwell early in the morning?
3. Who requested that Angela check the keys in the safe?
4. What does Blakelock tell Howarth when he comes back downstairs?
5. Who from Scotland Yard is assigned to come to Chevisham to investigate a murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Adam Dalgliesh speak to his boss?
2. What does Howarth talk to Dr. Lorrimer about and what is the outcome?
3. Describe Adam Dalgliesh.
4. Why is Dr. Lorrimer's father calling and what does Brenda offer to do?
5. Why is Dr. Kerrison leaving his home in the middle of the night and what is his biggest concern?
6. About what situation does Dalgliesh try to understand?
7. How is the staff at Hoggatt's Lab sorted for who needs to stay and who may go home?
8. What upsets Director Howarth about Dr. Lorrimer?
9. Describe the conversation between Brenda Pridmore and Adam Dalgliesh.
10. How do Angela Foley and Stella Mawson come to be living together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death of an Expert Witness, like many murder/mystery novels ends on an unhappy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many people want what they perceive as a happy ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Death of an Expert Witness and whether or not this book fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Death of an Expert Witness is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. State what you think are three characteristics of a successful novel and whether or not Death of an Expert Witness in your opinion is a successful novel. Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Death of an Expert Witness. What is it about a small village in England changes the plot compared to a setting in a large city in the United States? Does the fact that in England the death penalty is illegal make a difference in how the reader feels about Dr. Kerrison in the end?
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Death of an Expert Witness. How is the theme represented by symbolism, the characters' behaviors, or the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Death of an Expert Witness. How are the themes represented by symbolism, the characters' behaviors, or the action?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of characters who hate and/or dislike Dr. Lorrimer. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss Director Howarth's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Do you think Dr. Lorrimer feels the same way towards Director Howarth? Do you think Howarth's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead Howarth to commit murder?
2. Discuss Domenica Schofield's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Do she ever care for Dr. Lorrimer? Do you think Domenica's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead her to commit murder?
3. Discuss Cliff Bradley's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Why do you think Cliff makes the comments he makes in the library as the staff is awaiting the arrival of Dalgliesh? Do you think Bradley's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead him to commit murder?
This section contains 1,379 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)