|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the man dressed who was cavorting around on the graves at the village concert?
2. What does Detective-Inspector Doyle believe is a good investment?
3. Whose son is Massingham?
4. How does Director Howarth respond to Dalgliesh's question about what Dr. Lorrimer is like outside of work?
5. How does Inspector Blakelock behave while being questioned by Dalgliesh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Stella Mawson.
2. What does Paul Middlemass tell Dalgliesh and about what does Middlemass lie?
3. What upsets Director Howarth about Dr. Lorrimer?
4. Describe Brenda Pridmore.
5. Why is Dr. Lorrimer's father calling and what does Brenda offer to do?
6. Why is Dr. Kerrison leaving his home in the middle of the night and what is his biggest concern?
7. How does the interview between Dalgliesh and Easterbrook go and what does Dalgliesh learn?
8. What does Susan Bradley ask of Paul Middlemass and what does he do about the request?
9. Describe Mrs. Bidwell.
10. What does Mrs. Bidwell show Dalgliesh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that Dr. Kerrison should know a lot about crime and how a detective investigates a crime scene to be able to avoid some of the mistakes he makes that leads to his exposure as the murderer. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze throughout the book all the mistakes Dr. Kerrison makes. Are they stupid mistakes or is Dalgliesh so good that Dalgliesh is able to pick up on very tiny clues?
2. Sometimes it almost seems that a criminal wants to get caught. Do you think this is partially why Dr. Kerrison makes the mistakes he does? Why or why not?
3. Dalgliesh states that Kerrison almost seems relieved when the detectives drive up to arrest him. Why do you think this is?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of characters who hate and/or dislike Dr. Lorrimer. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss Director Howarth's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Do you think Dr. Lorrimer feels the same way towards Director Howarth? Do you think Howarth's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead Howarth to commit murder?
2. Discuss Domenica Schofield's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Do she ever care for Dr. Lorrimer? Do you think Domenica's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead her to commit murder?
3. Discuss Cliff Bradley's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Why do you think Cliff makes the comments he makes in the library as the staff is awaiting the arrival of Dalgliesh? Do you think Bradley's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead him to commit murder?
Essay Topic 3
Brenda Pridmore's character serves at least two functions in the novel. Discuss the following:
1. Analyze Brenda Pridmore's character. What are her strengths, weaknesses and personality? Is she a sympathetic character?
2. One of Brenda Pridmore's function in the story is to be as "ignorant" as the reader about criminal investigations and evidence gathering in order to ask questions that the reader might ask and thus educate the reader. How well does Brenda Pridmore serve in this function?
3. A second function for the character of Brenda Pridmore is to serve as a literary foil to several of the character. Define the term "literary foil" and analyze how Pridmore serves as a foil and to what characters and how she does so.
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)