|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Howarth have a conference with Dr. Lorrimer?
2. About what is Massingham happy when they land?
3. Who chats openly and honestly with Dalgliesh?
4. What does Dalgliesh want to be recovered in the bathroom sink?
5. What surprises Brenda Pridmore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dr. Lorrimer's father calling and what does Brenda offer to do?
2. Describe Angela Foley.
3. Describe Brenda Pridmore.
4. How does the interview between Dalgliesh and Easterbrook go and what does Dalgliesh learn?
5. Describe Stella Mawson.
6. About what does Adam Dalgliesh speak to his boss?
7. Describe Dr. Kerrison.
8. What does Paul Middlemass tell Dalgliesh and about what does Middlemass lie?
9. Why does Blakelock go up to Dr. Lorrimer's lab and what does he tell Director Howarth when coming back downstairs?
10. Who arrives at the lab before any one else and what surprises one of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nell Kerrison is introduced in the first few chapters. Though she may not be considered a major character, her emotional problems are what ultimately inadvertently condemn her father as a murderer. Additionally, her father chooses to confess his crimes in order that Nell does not have to testify against him. Discuss the following:
1. Briefly analyze Nell's character. What are her strengths and weaknesses. How do her weaknesses cause problems for Dr. Kerrison?
2. Do you believe Dr. Kerrison loves William more than Nell? Why or why not? Use specific examples.
3. What sort of impact do you think it will have on Nell when she realizes she exposes her father as a murderer?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare and contrast Dr. Lorrimer with Dr. Kerrison. How are they similar and how are they different? Do you think Dr. Lorrimer's hatred of Dr. Kerrison had any basis in Dr. Lorrimer's own self image?
2. Compare and contrast Director Howarth with Domenica Schofield. How are they similar and how are they different? Can you tell where they have similar issues by being half siblings?
3. Compare and contrast Adam Dalgliesh with John Massingham.How are they similar and how are they different? How are their investigative styles alike or different? How do they interact with people differently?
Essay Topic 3
It is essential that details in a murder mystery be accurate and adequate to fulfill the plot. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the plot of Death of an Expert Witness. Explain what constitutes the exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement or resolution. What details add to each aspect of the plot?
2. Analyze James's use of details. Where are there too much or too little details? What would be the consequence of too many details in a murder mystery? Of too little? Explain your ideas fully using examples from the text.
3. Do the details throughout the text support the resolution? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)