|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who requested that Angela check the keys in the safe?
2. What surprises Brenda Pridmore?
3. About what can Director Howarth not offer accurate answers?
4. Who is Paul Middlemass?
5. Who stays with Mr. Lorrimer immediately after the news of his son's death is given him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Bidwell.
2. What is Howarth doing the night of Dr. Lorrimer's murder and how does he back up his story?
3. What does Paul Middlemass tell Dalgliesh and about what does Middlemass lie?
4. About what does Adam Dalgliesh speak to his boss?
5. Describe Brenda Pridmore.
6. What is the situation with Mawson and Foley's need for money and how is Dr. Lorrimer mentioned in regards to money?
7. Describe Dr. Kerrison.
8. Why is Dr. Lorrimer's father calling and what does Brenda offer to do?
9. What does Susan Bradley ask of Paul Middlemass and what does he do about the request?
10. Describe the scene between Cliff and Susan Bradley as she is breastfeeding their new baby.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Angela Foley's grandmother has nothing to do with Angela as Angela is growing up and even allows the young girl to go to an orphanage when her mother dies. Discuss the following:
1. Does it make sense for the grandmother to take her dislike of her daughter out on her granddaughter? Why or why not. Is it ethical or moral? Or is it an ethical or moral issue? Explain.
2. How do you think it impacts Angela as a child for her grandmother to reject her especially after Angela's mother dies? How do you think this may have influenced her choices as an adult?
3. What personality traits do you think Angela holds as a result of being caught in the cross-hairs of the feud between her mother and grandmother?
4. Do you think Angela is capable of murder? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Brenda Pridmore's character serves at least two functions in the novel. Discuss the following:
1. Analyze Brenda Pridmore's character. What are her strengths, weaknesses and personality? Is she a sympathetic character?
2. One of Brenda Pridmore's function in the story is to be as "ignorant" as the reader about criminal investigations and evidence gathering in order to ask questions that the reader might ask and thus educate the reader. How well does Brenda Pridmore serve in this function?
3. A second function for the character of Brenda Pridmore is to serve as a literary foil to several of the character. Define the term "literary foil" and analyze how Pridmore serves as a foil and to what characters and how she does so.
Essay Topic 3
Death of an Expert Witness, like many murder/mystery novels ends on an unhappy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many people want what they perceive as a happy ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Death of an Expert Witness and whether or not this book fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Death of an Expert Witness is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. State what you think are three characteristics of a successful novel and whether or not Death of an Expert Witness in your opinion is a successful novel. Give specific examples.
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)