|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Angela during her initial interview with Dalgliesh?
2. What does Middlemass emphasis in his responses to Dalgliesh?
3. Who is Brenda Pridmore?
4. What is all the staff required to do in the library?
5. Who from Scotland Yard is assigned to come to Chevisham to investigate a murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation between Inspector Blakelock and Adam Dalgliesh and what Dalgliesh seems to be quite concerned about during the questioning.
2. Describe Adam Dalgliesh.
3. About what situation does Dalgliesh try to understand?
4. Why is Dr. Kerrison leaving his home in the middle of the night and what is his biggest concern?
5. What does Howarth talk to Dr. Lorrimer about and what is the outcome?
6. Why does Blakelock go up to Dr. Lorrimer's lab and what does he tell Director Howarth when coming back downstairs?
7. What does Mrs. Bidwell show Dalgliesh?
8. What does Susan Bradley ask of Paul Middlemass and what does he do about the request?
9. What is Howarth doing the night of Dr. Lorrimer's murder and how does he back up his story?
10. What upsets Director Howarth about Dr. Lorrimer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Angela Foley's grandmother has nothing to do with Angela as Angela is growing up and even allows the young girl to go to an orphanage when her mother dies. Discuss the following:
1. Does it make sense for the grandmother to take her dislike of her daughter out on her granddaughter? Why or why not. Is it ethical or moral? Or is it an ethical or moral issue? Explain.
2. How do you think it impacts Angela as a child for her grandmother to reject her especially after Angela's mother dies? How do you think this may have influenced her choices as an adult?
3. What personality traits do you think Angela holds as a result of being caught in the cross-hairs of the feud between her mother and grandmother?
4. Do you think Angela is capable of murder? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The murder of Stella Mawson comes late in the book. Discuss the following:
1. How does the murder of Stella Mawson contribute to the basic plot line or not?
2. How different would Death of an Expert Witness be if Mawson has not been murdered?
3. How did you as a reader react to Mawson's murder? Explain thoroughly.
4. Most readers have heard of the term "gratuitous violence" when referring to violence that seems to be a part of a story for no good reason. Is this true of Mawson's murder? Explain your thoughts with examples.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of characters who hate and/or dislike Dr. Lorrimer. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss Director Howarth's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Do you think Dr. Lorrimer feels the same way towards Director Howarth? Do you think Howarth's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead Howarth to commit murder?
2. Discuss Domenica Schofield's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Do she ever care for Dr. Lorrimer? Do you think Domenica's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead her to commit murder?
3. Discuss Cliff Bradley's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Why do you think Cliff makes the comments he makes in the library as the staff is awaiting the arrival of Dalgliesh? Do you think Bradley's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead him to commit murder?
This section contains 1,379 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)