|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Dalgliesh question Dr. Kerrison?
2. Why does Stella hire Angela?
3. What action is Cliff considering?
4. What does Howarth wish?
5. Where is Eleanor Kerrison sitting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dr. Lorrimer's father calling and what does Brenda offer to do?
2. Describe the conversation between Angela Foley and Adam Dalgliesh.
3. Describe Adam Dalgliesh.
4. How helpful is the interview with Cliff Bradley for Dalgliesh?
5. What does Mrs. Bidwell show Dalgliesh?
6. Why is Dr. Kerrison leaving his home in the middle of the night and what is his biggest concern?
7. How does the interview between Dalgliesh and Easterbrook go and what does Dalgliesh learn?
8. What does Howarth do after Dalgliesh arrives and what does Dalgliesh learn about the case?
9. About what does Adam Dalgliesh speak to his boss?
10. Describe the conversation between Brenda Pridmore and Adam Dalgliesh.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Death of an Expert Witness. What is it about a small village in England changes the plot compared to a setting in a large city in the United States? Does the fact that in England the death penalty is illegal make a difference in how the reader feels about Dr. Kerrison in the end?
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Death of an Expert Witness. How is the theme represented by symbolism, the characters' behaviors, or the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Death of an Expert Witness. How are the themes represented by symbolism, the characters' behaviors, or the action?
Essay Topic 2
Death of an Expert Witness, like many murder/mystery novels ends on an unhappy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many people want what they perceive as a happy ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Death of an Expert Witness and whether or not this book fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Death of an Expert Witness is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. State what you think are three characteristics of a successful novel and whether or not Death of an Expert Witness in your opinion is a successful novel. Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Angela Foley's grandmother has nothing to do with Angela as Angela is growing up and even allows the young girl to go to an orphanage when her mother dies. Discuss the following:
1. Does it make sense for the grandmother to take her dislike of her daughter out on her granddaughter? Why or why not. Is it ethical or moral? Or is it an ethical or moral issue? Explain.
2. How do you think it impacts Angela as a child for her grandmother to reject her especially after Angela's mother dies? How do you think this may have influenced her choices as an adult?
3. What personality traits do you think Angela holds as a result of being caught in the cross-hairs of the feud between her mother and grandmother?
4. Do you think Angela is capable of murder? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)