|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dalgliesh think of the people in the library?
2. About what is Howarth relieved?
3. What is in the lab that is likely the murder weapon?
4. Why is Howarth upset with Lorrimer?
5. About what does Dalgliesh question Dr. Kerrison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Howarth doing the night of Dr. Lorrimer's murder and how does he back up his story?
2. Describe Miss Willard.
3. What does Nell do after her father has left the house?
4. What does Brenda Pridmore talk about with her parents at breakfast and what is their reaction?
5. Describe Stella Mawson.
6. What does Howarth do after Dalgliesh arrives and what does Dalgliesh learn about the case?
7. How does the interview between Dalgliesh and Easterbrook go and what does Dalgliesh learn?
8. Describe Dr. Kerrison.
9. What do the detectives from in a locked drawer in Dr. Lorrimer's room?
10. What does Major Hunt tell Dalgliesh and Massingham about Dr. Lorrimer's will?
Essay Topic 1
The murder of Stella Mawson comes late in the book. Discuss the following:
1. How does the murder of Stella Mawson contribute to the basic plot line or not?
2. How different would Death of an Expert Witness be if Mawson has not been murdered?
3. How did you as a reader react to Mawson's murder? Explain thoroughly.
4. Most readers have heard of the term "gratuitous violence" when referring to violence that seems to be a part of a story for no good reason. Is this true of Mawson's murder? Explain your thoughts with examples.
Essay Topic 2
Obviously, suspense/mystery is a part of the detective genre. Answer the following questions:
1. What do you think is the difference between suspense and mystery? Give examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Does Death of an Expert Witness hold more suspense of mystery? Explain your answer with examples.
3. Would you rather read a mystery or a suspense or do you think there is any difference between the two?
4. Does Death of an Expert Witness offer enough suspense and/or mystery to keep you turning the pages? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Death of an Expert Witness. What is it about a small village in England changes the plot compared to a setting in a large city in the United States? Does the fact that in England the death penalty is illegal make a difference in how the reader feels about Dr. Kerrison in the end?
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Death of an Expert Witness. How is the theme represented by symbolism, the characters' behaviors, or the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Death of an Expert Witness. How are the themes represented by symbolism, the characters' behaviors, or the action?
This section contains 3,583 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)