|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dalgliesh think of the people in the library?
2. About what is Howarth relieved?
3. What is in the lab that is likely the murder weapon?
4. Why is Howarth upset with Lorrimer?
5. About what does Dalgliesh question Dr. Kerrison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Howarth doing the night of Dr. Lorrimer's murder and how does he back up his story?
2. Describe Miss Willard.
3. What does Nell do after her father has left the house?
4. What does Brenda Pridmore talk about with her parents at breakfast and what is their reaction?
5. Describe Stella Mawson.
6. What does Howarth do after Dalgliesh arrives and what does Dalgliesh learn about the case?
7. How does the interview between Dalgliesh and Easterbrook go and what does Dalgliesh learn?
8. Describe Dr. Kerrison.
9. What do the detectives from in a locked drawer in Dr. Lorrimer's room?
10. What does Major Hunt tell Dalgliesh and Massingham about Dr. Lorrimer's will?
Essay Topic 1
It seems that Dr. Kerrison should know a lot about crime and how a detective investigates a crime scene to be able to avoid some of the mistakes he makes that leads to his exposure as the murderer. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze throughout the book all the mistakes Dr. Kerrison makes. Are they stupid mistakes or is Dalgliesh so good that Dalgliesh is able to pick up on very tiny clues?
2. Sometimes it almost seems that a criminal wants to get caught. Do you think this is partially why Dr. Kerrison makes the mistakes he does? Why or why not?
3. Dalgliesh states that Kerrison almost seems relieved when the detectives drive up to arrest him. Why do you think this is?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of characters who hate and/or dislike Dr. Lorrimer. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss Director Howarth's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Do you think Dr. Lorrimer feels the same way towards Director Howarth? Do you think Howarth's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead Howarth to commit murder?
2. Discuss Domenica Schofield's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Do she ever care for Dr. Lorrimer? Do you think Domenica's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead her to commit murder?
3. Discuss Cliff Bradley's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Why do you think Cliff makes the comments he makes in the library as the staff is awaiting the arrival of Dalgliesh? Do you think Bradley's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead him to commit murder?
Essay Topic 3
Death of an Expert Witness, like many murder/mystery novels ends on an unhappy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many people want what they perceive as a happy ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Death of an Expert Witness and whether or not this book fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Death of an Expert Witness is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. State what you think are three characteristics of a successful novel and whether or not Death of an Expert Witness in your opinion is a successful novel. Give specific examples.
This section contains 3,583 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)