|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is entering the lab as Dr. Lorrimer is being removed?
2. What important piece of information does Dalgliesh learn from his first interviewee?`
3. What does Cliff Bradley ask Middlemass?
4. Who from Scotland Yard is assigned to come to Chevisham to investigate a murder?
5. Why does Stella hire Angela?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Howarth do after Dalgliesh arrives and what does Dalgliesh learn about the case?
2. Describe Mrs. Bidwell.
3. Who arrives at the lab before any one else and what surprises one of them?
4. Why does Blakelock go up to Dr. Lorrimer's lab and what does he tell Director Howarth when coming back downstairs?
5. How does the interview between Dalgliesh and Easterbrook go and what does Dalgliesh learn?
6. Describe the conversation between Angela Foley and Adam Dalgliesh.
7. What is Howarth doing the night of Dr. Lorrimer's murder and how does he back up his story?
8. What does Susan Bradley ask of Paul Middlemass and what does he do about the request?
9. How is the staff at Hoggatt's Lab sorted for who needs to stay and who may go home?
10. About what situation does Dalgliesh try to understand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nell Kerrison is introduced in the first few chapters. Though she may not be considered a major character, her emotional problems are what ultimately inadvertently condemn her father as a murderer. Additionally, her father chooses to confess his crimes in order that Nell does not have to testify against him. Discuss the following:
1. Briefly analyze Nell's character. What are her strengths and weaknesses. How do her weaknesses cause problems for Dr. Kerrison?
2. Do you believe Dr. Kerrison loves William more than Nell? Why or why not? Use specific examples.
3. What sort of impact do you think it will have on Nell when she realizes she exposes her father as a murderer?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare and contrast Dr. Lorrimer with Dr. Kerrison. How are they similar and how are they different? Do you think Dr. Lorrimer's hatred of Dr. Kerrison had any basis in Dr. Lorrimer's own self image?
2. Compare and contrast Director Howarth with Domenica Schofield. How are they similar and how are they different? Can you tell where they have similar issues by being half siblings?
3. Compare and contrast Adam Dalgliesh with John Massingham.How are they similar and how are they different? How are their investigative styles alike or different? How do they interact with people differently?
Essay Topic 3
Brenda Pridmore's character serves at least two functions in the novel. Discuss the following:
1. Analyze Brenda Pridmore's character. What are her strengths, weaknesses and personality? Is she a sympathetic character?
2. One of Brenda Pridmore's function in the story is to be as "ignorant" as the reader about criminal investigations and evidence gathering in order to ask questions that the reader might ask and thus educate the reader. How well does Brenda Pridmore serve in this function?
3. A second function for the character of Brenda Pridmore is to serve as a literary foil to several of the character. Define the term "literary foil" and analyze how Pridmore serves as a foil and to what characters and how she does so.
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)