|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is missing that belonged to Middlemass's deceased father?
2. About what does Dalgliesh question Dr. Kerrison?
3. What does Nell do with the candle?
4. Where is Eleanor Kerrison sitting?
5. Who chats openly and honestly with Dalgliesh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brenda Pridmore talk about with her parents at breakfast and what is their reaction?
2. What does Nell do after her father has left the house?
3. What does Howarth do after Dalgliesh arrives and what does Dalgliesh learn about the case?
4. Why does Blakelock go up to Dr. Lorrimer's lab and what does he tell Director Howarth when coming back downstairs?
5. Describe the conversation between Inspector Blakelock and Adam Dalgliesh and what Dalgliesh seems to be quite concerned about during the questioning.
6. What is the situation with Mawson and Foley's need for money and how is Dr. Lorrimer mentioned in regards to money?
7. Describe Stella Mawson.
8. Describe Mrs. Bidwell.
9. How helpful is the interview with Cliff Bradley for Dalgliesh?
10. Describe the scene between Cliff and Susan Bradley as she is breastfeeding their new baby.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that Dr. Kerrison should know a lot about crime and how a detective investigates a crime scene to be able to avoid some of the mistakes he makes that leads to his exposure as the murderer. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze throughout the book all the mistakes Dr. Kerrison makes. Are they stupid mistakes or is Dalgliesh so good that Dalgliesh is able to pick up on very tiny clues?
2. Sometimes it almost seems that a criminal wants to get caught. Do you think this is partially why Dr. Kerrison makes the mistakes he does? Why or why not?
3. Dalgliesh states that Kerrison almost seems relieved when the detectives drive up to arrest him. Why do you think this is?
Essay Topic 2
Death of an Expert Witness is one book in a series of novels involving Adam Dalgliesh. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing and reading a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing and reading a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare and contrast Dr. Lorrimer with Dr. Kerrison. How are they similar and how are they different? Do you think Dr. Lorrimer's hatred of Dr. Kerrison had any basis in Dr. Lorrimer's own self image?
2. Compare and contrast Director Howarth with Domenica Schofield. How are they similar and how are they different? Can you tell where they have similar issues by being half siblings?
3. Compare and contrast Adam Dalgliesh with John Massingham.How are they similar and how are they different? How are their investigative styles alike or different? How do they interact with people differently?
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)