Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dalgliesh think of the people in the library?
2. About what is Howarth relieved?
3. What is in the lab that is likely the murder weapon?
4. Why is Howarth upset with Lorrimer?
5. About what does Dalgliesh question Dr. Kerrison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Howarth doing the night of Dr. Lorrimer's murder and how does he back up his story?
2. Describe Miss Willard.
3. What does Nell do after her father has left the house?
4. What does Brenda Pridmore talk about with her parents at breakfast and what is their reaction?
5. Describe Stella Mawson.
6. What does Howarth do after Dalgliesh arrives and what does Dalgliesh learn about the case?
7. How does the interview between Dalgliesh and Easterbrook go and what does Dalgliesh learn?
8. Describe Dr. Kerrison.
9. What do the detectives from in a locked drawer in Dr. Lorrimer's room?
10. What does Major Hunt tell Dalgliesh and Massingham about Dr. Lorrimer's will?
There are a number of characters who hate and/or dislike Dr. Lorrimer. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss Director Howarth's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Do you think Dr. Lorrimer feels the same way towards Director Howarth? Do you think Howarth's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead Howarth to commit murder?
2. Discuss Domenica Schofield's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Do she ever care for Dr. Lorrimer? Do you think Domenica's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead her to commit murder?
3. Discuss Cliff Bradley's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer. Are they reasonable and justified? On what grounds do you think the feelings arise? Why do you think Cliff makes the comments he makes in the library as the staff is awaiting the arrival of Dalgliesh? Do you think Bradley's feelings towards Dr. Lorrimer are strong enough to lead him to commit murder?
There are a number of interesting questions raised by this book. Discuss the following:
1. Name two ideas/concepts you think may have been a part of the author's agenda. Analyze those ideas throughout the book and discuss whether you think P.D. James has an agenda concerning those ideas.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
Angela Foley's grandmother has nothing to do with Angela as Angela is growing up and even allows the young girl to go to an orphanage when her mother dies. Discuss the following:
1. Does it make sense for the grandmother to take her dislike of her daughter out on her granddaughter? Why or why not. Is it ethical or moral? Or is it an ethical or moral issue? Explain.
2. How do you think it impacts Angela as a child for her grandmother to reject her especially after Angela's mother dies? How do you think this may have influenced her choices as an adult?
3. What personality traits do you think Angela holds as a result of being caught in the cross-hairs of the feud between her mother and grandmother?
4. Do you think Angela is capable of murder? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,471 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)