|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Brenda Pridmore?
(a) That Mrs. Bidwell has not yet arrived at the lab.
(b) That the lights are on in the reception area when she arrives.
(c) That Blakelock is not yet at the lab.
(d) That Dr. Kerrison is coming out of the lab when Brenda arrives.
2. What does Howarth think to himself about Lorrimer as they are wrapping up the crime scene?
(a) How much he admires Dr. Lorrimer's affability.
(b) How he wishes Dr. Lorrimer would resign.
(c) How he hates Dr. Lorrimer.
(d) How much he admires Dr. Lorrimer's work.
3. Who is Inspector Blakelock?
(a) The local police investigator.
(b) Brenda Pridmore's supervisor at Hoggatts Lab.
(c) The detective from the county seat.
(d) A detective from Scotland Yard.
4. In what does Dr. Lorrimer get Brenda interested?
(a) Biology and what can be learned under a microscope.
(b) In how to create stains.
(c) Reading DNA strands.
(d) Finding minute particles of an alien substance.
5. Who checks the keys in the safe with Angela on the morning of Dr. Lorrimer's death?
(a) She does the check by herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Middlemass's role in the halftime entertainment at the village concert the night of the murder of Dr. Lorrimer?
2. What encounter does Blakelock describe to Dalgliesh?
3. Where was Director Howarth the night before?
4. What does Middlemass do to Dr. Lorrimer?
5. Where does the interview with Angela Foley take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Kerrison act and what does he say when the two detectives confront him?
2. Describe the scene at the chapel when Dalgliesh and Massingham arrive and what do they do.
3. What does Susan Bradley ask of Paul Middlemass and what does he do about the request?
4. How does Dalgliesh sum up his investigation so far at the end of the first day?
5. Describe Mrs. Bidwell.
6. What do the detectives learn from Mr. Lorrimer?
7. Where do Dalgliesh and Massingham go at the opening of Book 4, Chapter 1 and what do they learn?
8. About what situation does Dalgliesh try to understand?
9. Describe the conversation between Angela Foley and Adam Dalgliesh.
10. Describe Miss Willard.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)