|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Director Howarth know Dr. Lorrimer looked at a book on Howarth's desk?
(a) He is not sure if Dr. Lorrimer looked at it.
(b) It was open to a different page than the one to which Howarth had it turned.
(c) It was put back on the shelf.
(d) The book was on the table when it had been on the desk.
2. What important piece of information does Dalgliesh learn from his first interviewee?`
(a) That Dr. Lorrimer hated Domenica.
(b) That Dr. Lorrimer had a date the night before.
(c) That Dr. Lorrimer was planning to resign.
(d) That someone has torn a page out of Dr. Lorrimer's notebook.
3. How do most of the staff seem to respond to Dr. Lorrimer's murder?
(a) They seem jubilant.
(b) They seem unaffected.
(c) They are quite distraught.
(d) They are horrified.
4. What does Blakelock tell Howarth when he comes back downstairs?
(a) That Dr. Lorrimer is upstairs murdered.
(b) That the cleaning woman is upstairs in a dead faint.
(c) That no one is in the lab but it is unsecured.
(d) That Dr. Kerrison is unconscious upstairs and Lorrimer is dead.
5. About what is Massingham happy when they land?
(a) To be off the helicopter.
(b) Nothing in particular.
(c) The country air and taking on a murder investigation.
(d) To be working with the famed Adam Dalgliesh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What encounter does Blakelock describe to Dalgliesh?
2. Who from Scotland Yard is assigned to come to Chevisham to investigate a murder?
3. About what does Dalgliesh question the cleaning lady?
4. Who is Paul Middlemass?
5. How is the man dressed who was cavorting around on the graves at the village concert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Brenda Pridmore's mother upset and what does she want Brenda to tell Dalgliesh?
2. Describe the conversation between Brenda Pridmore and Adam Dalgliesh.
3. How helpful is the interview with Cliff Bradley for Dalgliesh?
4. What does Brenda Pridmore talk about with her parents at breakfast and what is their reaction?
5. What two pieces of information does Dalgliesh tell Angela of which she was not aware, and what does Angela admit to them?
6. What is going on between Doyle and Foley and why?
7. Describe the scene at the Kerrison home after the two detectives arrive.
8. Describe the scene between Cliff and Susan Bradley as she is breastfeeding their new baby.
9. What do Angela Foley and Stella Mawson talk about before Stella leaves the house?
10. Describe Brenda Pridmore.
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)