|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cliff Bradley ask Middlemass?
(a) If Middlemass thinks Bradley committed the murder.
(b) If Middlemass would lie for Bradley.
(c) If Middlemass talked with Susan Bradley the day before.
2. Why does Director Howarth know Dr. Lorrimer looked at a book on Howarth's desk?
(a) It was put back on the shelf.
(b) It was open to a different page than the one to which Howarth had it turned.
(c) The book was on the table when it had been on the desk.
(d) He is not sure if Dr. Lorrimer looked at it.
3. What does Mrs. Bidwell tell Dalgliesh about the lab coat?
(a) That the lab coat that Dr. Lorrimer accidentally burns is missing.
(b) That the coat with Lorrimer's blood on it has disappeared.
(c) That Dr. Lorrimer's lab coat was blue rather than white.
(d) That Dr. Lorrimer never wore a lab coat.
4. About what does Stella say life isn't convenient?
(a) That the rain and fog will quit before a party Stella and Angela are planning.
(b) That the bus pulls up a moment after the two arrive at the bus stop.
(c) A cousin dying so that Stella might receive an inheritance.
(d) That the rain will come right after planting the flower garden.
5. What does Brenda need to learn according to her supervisor?
(a) To be more detached.
(b) To log in evidence correctly.
(c) To coordinate lab activities.
(d) To greet visitors with confidence.
6. What is Susan Bradley doing when she is introduced to the readers?
(a) She is asleep.
(b) She is cooking breakfast.
(c) She is in the shower.
(d) She is waking up to breast-feed her new baby.
7. Who is Maxim Howarth?
(a) The newly-appointed Director of the Forensic Science Laboratory.
(b) The investigator on the young woman's murder case.
(c) A detective from Scotland Yard.
(d) A police officer.
8. What does Angela call Stella Mawson?
9. How does Director Howarth respond to Dalgliesh's question about what Dr. Lorrimer is like outside of work?
(a) Howarth says Dr. Lorrimer was happy and well adjusted.
(b) Howarth says Dr. Lorrimer spent much time in London for his social life.
(c) Howarth says Dr. Lorrimer was a loner.
(d) Howarth says he did not know him outside of work.
10. What does Cliff Bradley assert over and over to Dalgliesh?
(a) That Dr. Lorrimer and Blakelock argued frequently.
(b) That Dr. Lorrimer was hated by almost everyone.
(c) That Dr. Lorrimer and Howarth disagreed frequently.
(d) That he knows nothing about any aspect of the crime.
11. Who does Susan think she will talk to for help about Cliff?
(b) Dr. Kerrison.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Mr. Middlemass.
12. Who checks the keys in the safe with Angela on the morning of Dr. Lorrimer's death?
(c) She does the check by herself.
13. About what does Dalgliesh question Dr. Kerrison?
(a) Whether Nell Kerrison could have done this.
(b) Why Dr. Kerrison seems interested in seeing Dr. Lorrimer.
(c) The cause and time of death.
(d) Where Dr. Kerrison was the night before.
14. About what is Massingham happy when they land?
(a) To be working with the famed Adam Dalgliesh.
(b) To be off the helicopter.
(c) Nothing in particular.
(d) The country air and taking on a murder investigation.
15. About what does Susan Bradley call Middlemass?
(a) To offer her assistance with his backlog.
(b) To ask for her old job back.
(c) To intevene for Cliff.
(d) To ask him to dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men discuss at the murder scene?
2. Where is Eleanor Kerrison sitting?
3. About whom does Kerrison think on the drive to the murder site?
4. What action is Cliff considering?
5. Who from Scotland Yard is assigned to come to Chevisham to investigate a murder?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)