|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Brenda Pridmore?
(a) The new Clerical Officer/Receptionist at Hoggatt's Laboratory.
(b) Dr. Kerrison's babysitter.
(c) Dr. Lorrimer's older sister.
(d) Cliff Bradley's older sister.
2. What surprises Brenda Pridmore?
(a) That Dr. Kerrison is coming out of the lab when Brenda arrives.
(b) That Blakelock is not yet at the lab.
(c) That the lights are on in the reception area when she arrives.
(d) That Mrs. Bidwell has not yet arrived at the lab.
3. What do the men discuss at the murder scene?
(a) What the murderer might be doing right now.
(b) How many teams have been eliminated in the Wimbleton doubles tournament.
(c) Why anyone would choose such as beautiful day to commit murder.
(d) Why a newly-formed football team was suddenly sold.
4. Who checks the keys in the safe with Angela on the morning of Dr. Lorrimer's death?
(b) She does the check by herself.
5. How does Inspector Blakelock behave while being questioned by Dalgliesh?
(a) He is openly hostile at Scotland Yard being assigned the case.
(b) He becomes agitated.
(c) He sits and chats like the two are old buddies.
(d) He stands at attention.
6. Why does Mrs. Bidwell not have to do much in Director Howarth's office?
(a) He is meticulous.
(b) He is rarely there.
(c) Mrs. Bidwell and Director Howarth do not get along very well.
(d) He likes to do most of the cleaning up himself.
7. What is the major line of questioning Dalgliesh takes with Middlemass?
(a) What interaction there is between Dr. Lorrimer's staff and
(b) How Middlemass logs in people who come and go from his office.
(c) About the fight between Dr. Lorrimer and Middlemass.
(d) How Middlemass logs in documents he is assessing.
8. What does Mercer do after offering Dalgliesh assistance?
(b) Goes back to continue questioning Hoggatt's staff.
(c) Calls his supervisor.
(d) Leaves Hoggatt's lab.
9. What protocol does Blakelock describe to Dalgliesh?
(a) The protocol of signing out supplies.
(b) The protocol of who is allowed to work after hours without Blakelock also being in attendance.
(c) The protocol of logging evidence.
(d) The protocol of rank.
10. About what can Director Howarth not offer accurate answers?
(a) Whether or not Dr. Lorrimer has a girlfriend.
(b) Questions about Dr. Lorrimer's activities the night before.
(c) Whether Dr. Lorrimer was planning to quit.
(d) Whether Dr. Lorrimer and Paul Middlemass were friends outside the workspace.
11. What does the caller tell Mrs. Bidwell early in the morning?
(a) Not to come in to work at the lab that morning.
(b) That her son was ill and she needs to go to London.
(c) That the person who gives her a ride to work is unable to pick her up.
(d) That her husband is in the hospital.
12. What is the significance of the mallet being in Dr. Lorrimer's lab?
(a) It has never been seen by anyone before.
(b) It belongs in the autopsy room.
(c) It is evidence in another case.
(d) It belongs in the forensics lab.
13. Who from Scotland Yard is assigned to come to Chevisham to investigate a murder?
(a) No one; it is not their jurisdiction.
(c) Adam Dalgliesh and Massingham.
(d) Massingham since Dalgliesh is out of town.
14. Who stays with Mr. Lorrimer immediately after the news of his son's death is given him?
(a) His daughter.
(b) Angela and Stella.
(c) The priest.
(d) His neighbor.
15. What does Mercer do?
(a) Confirms arrangements for police guards and the packaging of evidence to go the Scotland Yard.
(b) Lies about his whereabouts the night before.
(c) Requests to stay on the case.
(d) Tells Dalgliesh his agency is out of order for coming in on the case.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Paul Middlemass?
2. Who cleans up after the meeting with the senior scientists?
3. What does Middlemass fail to tell Dalgliesh?
4. What does Nell have in her hand?
5. Where was Director Howarth the night before?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)