|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dalgliesh think of the people in the library?
(a) That several of them are lying.
(b) That all of them probably know the murderer.
(c) That none of them is probably the murderer.
(d) That they are hiding something from him.
2. About what is Howarth relieved?
(a) That he has made a good start in his new job.
(b) That he made it through the autopsy without embarrassing himself.
(c) That his wife is returning the next day.
(d) That his daughter is leaving to go back to boarding school.
3. What is in the lab that is likely the murder weapon?
(a) Nothing that Dalgliesh can see.
(b) A bloody dissection knife.
(c) A noose lying on the counter.
(d) A bloody mallet.
4. Why is Howarth upset with Lorrimer?
(a) That he is involved with his sister.
(b) That he is so unfriendly.
(c) That he is lazy.
(d) That he is sloppy in his work.
5. About what does Dalgliesh question Dr. Kerrison?
(a) The cause and time of death.
(b) Why Dr. Kerrison seems interested in seeing Dr. Lorrimer.
(c) Whether Nell Kerrison could have done this.
(d) Where Dr. Kerrison was the night before.
6. What does Blakelock tell Howarth when he comes back downstairs?
(a) That the cleaning woman is upstairs in a dead faint.
(b) That Dr. Lorrimer is upstairs murdered.
(c) That no one is in the lab but it is unsecured.
(d) That Dr. Kerrison is unconscious upstairs and Lorrimer is dead.
7. Who seems emotionally immune to the process of an autopsy?
(a) Brenda Pridmore.
(b) Inspector Blakelock.
(c) Dr. Lorrimer.
(d) Dr. Kerrison.
8. What does Dalgliesh want to be recovered in the bathroom sink?
(b) Some hairs.
(d) A ring.
9. What does the caller tell Mrs. Bidwell early in the morning?
(a) That her husband is in the hospital.
(b) Not to come in to work at the lab that morning.
(c) That her son was ill and she needs to go to London.
(d) That the person who gives her a ride to work is unable to pick her up.
10. About what is Massingham happy when they land?
(a) To be off the helicopter.
(b) To be working with the famed Adam Dalgliesh.
(c) Nothing in particular.
(d) The country air and taking on a murder investigation.
11. What does Brenda Pridmore start to do but then stops?
(a) Call Dr. Lorrimer's father.
(b) Tell Easterbrook that Dr. Lorrimer was secretly in love with her.
(c) Quit her job.
(d) Give an additional piece of information to Dalgliesh.
12. What does Angela call Stella Mawson?
13. What surprises Brenda Pridmore?
(a) That Dr. Kerrison is coming out of the lab when Brenda arrives.
(b) That Blakelock is not yet at the lab.
(c) That Mrs. Bidwell has not yet arrived at the lab.
(d) That the lights are on in the reception area when she arrives.
14. What does Nell do with the candle?
(a) Heats the coffee in the mug.
(b) Burns her palm.
(c) Burns her teddy bear.
(d) Heats the wax doll and destroys it.
15. How do most of the staff seem to respond to Dr. Lorrimer's murder?
(a) They are horrified.
(b) They seem jubilant.
(c) They seem unaffected.
(d) They are quite distraught.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important piece of information does Dalgliesh learn from his first interviewee?`
2. Where is Eleanor Kerrison sitting?
3. What is Dr. Kerrison's biggest concern as he is leaving?
4. Who witnesses the exchange between Middlemass and Lorrimer?
5. Who is teaching Brenda?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)