|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mercer do after offering Dalgliesh assistance?
(b) Leaves Hoggatt's lab.
(c) Goes back to continue questioning Hoggatt's staff.
(d) Calls his supervisor.
2. What prints are found on the mallet?
(a) Paul Middlemass.
(b) Only those of the owner.
(d) Brenda Pridmore and Dr. Kerrison.
3. What encounter does Blakelock describe to Dalgliesh?
(a) Between Dr. Lorrimer and Middlemass.
(b) Between Dr. Lorrimer and Nan Kerrison.
(c) Between Dr. Lorrimer and Howarth.
(d) Between Dr. Lorrimer and Pridmore.
4. Who from Scotland Yard is assigned to come to Chevisham to investigate a murder?
(a) Massingham since Dalgliesh is out of town.
(c) Adam Dalgliesh and Massingham.
(d) No one; it is not their jurisdiction.
5. How does Inspector Blakelock behave while being questioned by Dalgliesh?
(a) He stands at attention.
(b) He sits and chats like the two are old buddies.
(c) He becomes agitated.
(d) He is openly hostile at Scotland Yard being assigned the case.
6. What is missing that belonged to Middlemass's deceased father?
(a) A watch.
(b) A lab coat.
(c) A ring.
(d) A hat.
7. Who goes to tell Dr. Lorrimer's father about the doctor's death?
(a) Angela Foley and Stella Mawson.
8. Where does the interview with Angela Foley take place?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the Director's office.
(c) In Angela's home.
(d) In Dr. Lorrimer's lab.
9. Who seems emotionally immune to the process of an autopsy?
(a) Dr. Lorrimer.
(b) Inspector Blakelock.
(c) Dr. Kerrison.
(d) Brenda Pridmore.
10. Who cleans up after the meeting with the senior scientists?
(b) Brenda Pridmore.
(c) Angela Foley.
(d) Director Howarth.
11. Who first arrives at the lab in Book 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Brenda Pridmore alone.
(b) Inspector Blakelock alone.
(c) Dr. Kerrison.
(d) Brenda Pridmore and Inspector Blakelock.
12. Who is entering the lab as Dr. Lorrimer is being removed?
(a) Angela Foley.
(b) No one.
(c) Mrs. Bidwell.
(d) Dr. Lorrimer's father.
13. What does Mercer do?
(a) Confirms arrangements for police guards and the packaging of evidence to go the Scotland Yard.
(b) Tells Dalgliesh his agency is out of order for coming in on the case.
(c) Requests to stay on the case.
(d) Lies about his whereabouts the night before.
14. About what is Massingham happy when they land?
(a) To be working with the famed Adam Dalgliesh.
(b) The country air and taking on a murder investigation.
(c) Nothing in particular.
(d) To be off the helicopter.
15. What is the significance of the mallet being in Dr. Lorrimer's lab?
(a) It belongs in the autopsy room.
(b) It has never been seen by anyone before.
(c) It belongs in the forensics lab.
(d) It is evidence in another case.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Eleanor Kerrison sitting?
2. What do the men discuss at the murder scene?
3. What is in the lab that is likely the murder weapon?
4. What does Detective-Inspector Doyle believe is a good investment?
5. About what does Susan Bradley call Middlemass?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)