|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nell have in her hand?
(a) A cross.
(b) Her father's coffee mug.
(c) A wax figure that represents Dr. Lorrimer.
(d) Her teddy bear.
2. What does the caller tell Mrs. Bidwell early in the morning?
(a) That the person who gives her a ride to work is unable to pick her up.
(b) Not to come in to work at the lab that morning.
(c) That her son was ill and she needs to go to London.
(d) That her husband is in the hospital.
3. How do Brenda's parents feel about her job?
(d) Not happy.
4. What is all the staff required to do in the library?
(a) Stay there until that evening.
(b) Talk to Howarth who dismisses them one by one.
(c) Write down all their activities for the past 24 hours.
(d) Read up on investigative law for their particular situation.
5. About what is Massingham happy when they land?
(a) The country air and taking on a murder investigation.
(b) To be off the helicopter.
(c) Nothing in particular.
(d) To be working with the famed Adam Dalgliesh.
6. What does Blakelock tell Howarth when he comes back downstairs?
(a) That no one is in the lab but it is unsecured.
(b) That Dr. Lorrimer is upstairs murdered.
(c) That Dr. Kerrison is unconscious upstairs and Lorrimer is dead.
(d) That the cleaning woman is upstairs in a dead faint.
7. What do the men discuss at the murder scene?
(a) What the murderer might be doing right now.
(b) How many teams have been eliminated in the Wimbleton doubles tournament.
(c) Why a newly-formed football team was suddenly sold.
(d) Why anyone would choose such as beautiful day to commit murder.
8. What is the significance of the mallet being in Dr. Lorrimer's lab?
(a) It belongs in the autopsy room.
(b) It belongs in the forensics lab.
(c) It has never been seen by anyone before.
(d) It is evidence in another case.
9. What is the major line of questioning Dalgliesh takes with Middlemass?
(a) About the fight between Dr. Lorrimer and Middlemass.
(b) How Middlemass logs in people who come and go from his office.
(c) What interaction there is between Dr. Lorrimer's staff and
(d) How Middlemass logs in documents he is assessing.
10. What does Mercer do?
(a) Lies about his whereabouts the night before.
(b) Requests to stay on the case.
(c) Tells Dalgliesh his agency is out of order for coming in on the case.
(d) Confirms arrangements for police guards and the packaging of evidence to go the Scotland Yard.
11. What does Mercer do after offering Dalgliesh assistance?
(b) Calls his supervisor.
(c) Leaves Hoggatt's lab.
(d) Goes back to continue questioning Hoggatt's staff.
12. Who does Dalgliesh first interview in opening his investigation into the murder of Dr. Lorrimer?
(a) Dr. Kerrison.
(b) Brenda Pridmore.
(c) Director Howarth.
(d) Claire Easterbrook.
13. About what does Stella say life isn't convenient?
(a) That the rain and fog will quit before a party Stella and Angela are planning.
(b) A cousin dying so that Stella might receive an inheritance.
(c) That the rain will come right after planting the flower garden.
(d) That the bus pulls up a moment after the two arrive at the bus stop.
14. How is the man dressed who was cavorting around on the graves at the village concert?
(a) As a knight.
(b) As a clown.
(c) As a dragon.
(d) In a hobbyhorse outfit.
15. What does Middlemass fail to tell Dalgliesh?
(a) That Dr. Lorrimer was hostile to Easterbrook.
(b) About the phone call from Susan Bradley.
(c) That Middlemass had fought with Dr. Lorrimer on other occasions.
(d) About the fact that Dr. Lorrimer fell apart on the stand in the last trial.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is entering the lab as Dr. Lorrimer is being removed?
2. Who goes to tell Dr. Lorrimer's father about the doctor's death?
3. What about the concert facility does Dalgliesh question Middlemass?
4. Why does Director Howarth know Dr. Lorrimer looked at a book on Howarth's desk?
5. What encounter does Blakelock describe to Dalgliesh?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)