|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Bidwell not have to do much in Director Howarth's office?
(a) He likes to do most of the cleaning up himself.
(b) Mrs. Bidwell and Director Howarth do not get along very well.
(c) He is rarely there.
(d) He is meticulous.
2. What is lying open on the table?
(a) A tube of acid.
(c) Lorrimer's notebook.
(d) A staining solution.
3. Who is Maxim Howarth?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A detective from Scotland Yard.
(c) The newly-appointed Director of the Forensic Science Laboratory.
(d) The investigator on the young woman's murder case.
4. By what is Cliff Bradley deeply intimidated?
(a) Susan's mother who is visiting that evening.
(b) Dr. Lorrimer.
(c) The thought that he might have to take over an ongoing murder investigation.
(d) The idea of taking care of the new baby.
5. What does Cliff Bradley assert over and over to Dalgliesh?
(a) That he knows nothing about any aspect of the crime.
(b) That Dr. Lorrimer was hated by almost everyone.
(c) That Dr. Lorrimer and Blakelock argued frequently.
(d) That Dr. Lorrimer and Howarth disagreed frequently.
6. About what can Director Howarth not offer accurate answers?
(a) Whether Dr. Lorrimer and Paul Middlemass were friends outside the workspace.
(b) Whether or not Dr. Lorrimer has a girlfriend.
(c) Questions about Dr. Lorrimer's activities the night before.
(d) Whether Dr. Lorrimer was planning to quit.
7. What does Middlemass fail to tell Dalgliesh?
(a) About the phone call from Susan Bradley.
(b) About the fact that Dr. Lorrimer fell apart on the stand in the last trial.
(c) That Dr. Lorrimer was hostile to Easterbrook.
(d) That Middlemass had fought with Dr. Lorrimer on other occasions.
8. Why does Director Howarth know Dr. Lorrimer looked at a book on Howarth's desk?
(a) The book was on the table when it had been on the desk.
(b) It was put back on the shelf.
(c) He is not sure if Dr. Lorrimer looked at it.
(d) It was open to a different page than the one to which Howarth had it turned.
9. Who requested that Angela check the keys in the safe?
10. Whose son is Massingham?
(a) A peer of the realm.
(b) A charwoman.
(c) A notorious extortionist.
(d) Dalgliesh's father's best friend.
11. What does Dalgliesh figure about the window above the bathrooms?
(a) Dalgliesh does not notice the window.
(b) That the window is painted shut and inoperable.
(c) That no one could conceivably make it to the ground that way.
(d) That a slender person could conceivably make it to the ground that way.
12. Who first arrives at the lab in Book 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Inspector Blakelock alone.
(b) Brenda Pridmore alone.
(c) Brenda Pridmore and Inspector Blakelock.
(d) Dr. Kerrison.
13. Who goes to tell Dr. Lorrimer's father about the doctor's death?
(c) Angela Foley and Stella Mawson.
14. What important piece of information does Dalgliesh learn from his first interviewee?`
(a) That Dr. Lorrimer hated Domenica.
(b) That Dr. Lorrimer had a date the night before.
(c) That Dr. Lorrimer was planning to resign.
(d) That someone has torn a page out of Dr. Lorrimer's notebook.
15. What does Nell do with the candle?
(a) Burns her teddy bear.
(b) Heats the wax doll and destroys it.
(c) Burns her palm.
(d) Heats the coffee in the mug.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Howarth have a conference with Dr. Lorrimer?
2. What does Brenda need to learn according to her supervisor?
3. What does Dalgliesh think of the people in the library?
4. Where was Director Howarth the night before?
5. About what does Dalgliesh question the cleaning lady?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)