|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Stella hire Angela?
(a) To clean house.
(b) To take care of the cottage grounds.
(c) To train Stella's dog.
(d) To help Stella type.
2. What does Brenda Pridmore start to do but then stops?
(a) Quit her job.
(b) Tell Easterbrook that Dr. Lorrimer was secretly in love with her.
(c) Give an additional piece of information to Dalgliesh.
(d) Call Dr. Lorrimer's father.
3. What surprises Brenda Pridmore?
(a) That the lights are on in the reception area when she arrives.
(b) That Dr. Kerrison is coming out of the lab when Brenda arrives.
(c) That Mrs. Bidwell has not yet arrived at the lab.
(d) That Blakelock is not yet at the lab.
4. What does the caller tell Mrs. Bidwell early in the morning?
(a) That her husband is in the hospital.
(b) That her son was ill and she needs to go to London.
(c) Not to come in to work at the lab that morning.
(d) That the person who gives her a ride to work is unable to pick her up.
5. About what is Massingham happy when they land?
(a) Nothing in particular.
(b) To be off the helicopter.
(c) The country air and taking on a murder investigation.
(d) To be working with the famed Adam Dalgliesh.
6. What is Dr. Kerrison's biggest concern as he is leaving?
(a) The neighbors seeing him.
(b) That he forgets his coffee on the kitchen counter.
(c) Not waking up his daughter.
(d) The need for speed.
7. What does Dalgliesh think of the people in the library?
(a) That several of them are lying.
(b) That all of them probably know the murderer.
(c) That they are hiding something from him.
(d) That none of them is probably the murderer.
8. What does Dr. Lorrimer inherit from his grandmother?
(a) 30,000 pounds.
(b) 100,000 pounds.
(c) A citeron.
(d) A Citroen.
9. Why does Director Howarth know Dr. Lorrimer looked at a book on Howarth's desk?
(a) He is not sure if Dr. Lorrimer looked at it.
(b) It was put back on the shelf.
(c) The book was on the table when it had been on the desk.
(d) It was open to a different page than the one to which Howarth had it turned.
10. Who interrupts the meeting between Howarth and Dr. Lorrimer?
(a) Dr. Kerrison.
(b) Angela Foley.
(d) Paul Middlemass.
11. How do most of the staff seem to respond to Dr. Lorrimer's murder?
(a) They seem unaffected.
(b) They are quite distraught.
(c) They are horrified.
(d) They seem jubilant.
12. What is missing that belonged to Middlemass's deceased father?
(a) A hat.
(b) A lab coat.
(c) A watch.
(d) A ring.
13. Who does Susan think she will talk to for help about Cliff?
(a) Dr. Kerrison.
(c) Mr. Middlemass.
(d) Her mother.
14. Who from Scotland Yard is assigned to come to Chevisham to investigate a murder?
(a) Adam Dalgliesh and Massingham.
(c) Massingham since Dalgliesh is out of town.
(d) No one; it is not their jurisdiction.
15. Who stays with Mr. Lorrimer immediately after the news of his son's death is given him?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His daughter.
(c) The priest.
(d) Angela and Stella.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Director Howarth respond to Dalgliesh's question about what Dr. Lorrimer is like outside of work?
2. Who is Dr. Kerrison?
3. What does Cliff Bradley assert over and over to Dalgliesh?
4. What protocol does Blakelock describe to Dalgliesh?
5. What prints are found on the mallet?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)