|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills LaGuerta?
2. Who is Deborah speaking to in Chapter 23, when she says, "I'm leaving you in charge of determining if this evidence is relevant."
3. Dexter dreams he has killed ______ women in Chapter 19.
4. At the end of the novel, Dexter says he is going to call on ______ at the next full moon.
5. The FDLE is a sort of state-level ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of Dexter's latest kill in Chapter 14? What crime did this person commit? How does Dexter's victim feel about the crime he has committed?
2. Who calls Dexter in the beginning of Chapter 24? Why is this person calling? What conclusion does Dexter come to with this phone call?
3. Explain why there is a battle for jurisdiction at the crime scene. Who is the battle between? Who ultimately wins the battle?
4. How does the Metro-Dade police react to the crime scene in Chapter 20. How is this different from their usual response to crime scenes? How Does Dexter respond to the crime scene?
5. What does the security camera capture that surprises both Deborah and Dexter? How does Deborah respond to this surprise?
6. Where does the bodies of the three heads turn up? Who finds the bodies? What is unique about the way the killer arranged the limbs?
7. Who interrupts Dexter's killing process in Chapter 15? How is Dexter aware of this person? How does Dexter handle this interruption?
8. Describe the dream Dexter has in Chapter 19. What does this dream foreshadow?
9. Who is the Tamiami Trail Killer? How is he related to Dexter? What information does the Tamiami Trail Killer reveal to Dexter to prove his relation to him?
10. When was the last time Dexter was inside the storage container? How did this event effect Dexter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a critical essay, analyze the main conflict in Darkly Dreaming Dexter and discuss the moral and ethical implications for both Dexter and the society in which he lives.
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel in which a character's success in achieving goals depends on keeping a secret and divulging it only at the right moment. Briefly explain the necessity for secrecy and how the character's choice to reveal or keep the secret affects the plot and contributes to the meaning of the work as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Distinguish the character of Brian to that of Dexter. Explain their similarities and differences as detailed in the text.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)