|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "human beings are so resilient, aren't they"?
2. In context, who is "we" referring to in Chapter 14?
3. All of the following letters are on the side of the truck in Chapter 23, except for which?
4. According to LaGuerta, who wants to kill Dexter?
5. In Chapter 24, Deborah signed out of work to go to ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Deborah think the bodies of the three heads might be? Does Dexter agree with Deborah's hypothesis? Explain.
2. Who is the first person Dexter ever killed? How old was he at the time? Who choose Dexter's first victim? Explain.
3. How does the Metro-Dade police react to the crime scene in Chapter 20. How is this different from their usual response to crime scenes? How Does Dexter respond to the crime scene?
4. Describe the dream Dexter has in Chapter 19. What does this dream foreshadow?
5. Where does the bodies of the three heads turn up? Who finds the bodies? What is unique about the way the killer arranged the limbs?
6. What two conclusions does Dexter come to when thinking about the Jaworski murder case?
7. Describe the new gift Dexter finds in his car in Chapter 24. What clue does this gift reveal to Dexter?
8. When was the last time Dexter was inside the storage container? How did this event effect Dexter?
9. What three gifts does the Tamiami Trail Killer leave behind? What do these three gifts represent?
10. Describe Dexter's first experience with the Dark Passenger.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character from the novel, other than Dexter, whose mind is pulled in conflicting directions by two compelling desires, ambitions, obligations, or influences. Then, in a well-organized essay, identify each of the two conflicting forces and explain how this conflict with one character illuminates the meaning of the work as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the first chapter of Darkly Dreaming Dexter introduces the major theme of the piece. Use specific details from the first chapter to justify your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a death scene from the novel that reveals the values of the main character and the society in which he lives. In a focused essay, discuss the contribution the scene makes to the meaning of the work as a whole.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)