|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, LaGuerta tells ______ that the decapitated heads are the work of a new killer.
2. In Chapter 15, ______ came into Dexter's mind unwanted and unasked.
3. According to Harry, the Last Nurse kills by ______ her patients.
4. Who reprimands LaGuerta for speaking to the media?
5. LaGuerta tells Dexter that if she doesn't catch the Tamiami Trail killer by herself in ______ she will be a meter maid.
Short Essay Questions
1. When was the last time Dexter was inside the storage container? How did this event effect Dexter?
2. How does Dexter feel about people at the Metro-Dade police force saying he has a feeling for serial homicide? Explain.
3. Describe the new gift Dexter finds in his car in Chapter 24. What clue does this gift reveal to Dexter?
4. Explain the theme highlighted in Chapter 14.
5. Who asks Dexter for help in solving the Jaworski case? Why does this person turn to Dexter?
6. Who does LaGuerta invite to the crime scene in Chapter 20? What does she tell these people? What is the result of her invitation?
7. Who is the first person Deborah and Dexter interview at the ice rink? What information does this person reveal to them? Why is this information important to the crime scene?
8. Who does Dexter find inside the storage container? Who does Dexter hypothesize put Deborah in the storage container? Is his hypothesis correct? Explain.
9. Who calls Dexter in the beginning of Chapter 24? Why is this person calling? What conclusion does Dexter come to with this phone call?
10. What does the security camera capture that surprises both Deborah and Dexter? How does Deborah respond to this surprise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze at least three examples of symbolism found within Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Cite your references.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze how a stereotyped character or characters in Darkly Dreaming Dexter function to achieve the author's purpose of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a scene from Darkly Dreaming Dexter in which some of the most significant events are mental or psychological, such as an awakening, discovery, or change in consciousness. In a well-organized essay, describe how the author manages to give these internal events the sense of excitement, suspense and climax usually associated with external action.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)