|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, LaGuerta tells ______ that the decapitated heads are the work of a new killer.
2. What is Detective LaGuerta's first name?
3. Why does Dexter go into Jamie's evidence box?
4. Dexter was ______ when Deborah disappeared.
5. By what name does Dexter call the killer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Dexter go after he is nearly caught cutting up his victim? What happens at this location?
2. What does Brian want Dexter to do with him? Does Dexter abide by Brian's request? Explain. Who does Dexter and Brian kill?
3. Why is LaGuerta angry with Deborah in Chapter 22? How does LaGuerta take out her frustrations on Deborah?
4. Who is the first person Deborah and Dexter interview at the ice rink? What information does this person reveal to them? Why is this information important to the crime scene?
5. Who is the first person Dexter ever killed? How old was he at the time? Who choose Dexter's first victim? Explain.
6. What is the name of Dexter's latest kill in Chapter 14? What crime did this person commit? How does Dexter's victim feel about the crime he has committed?
7. Describe the dream Dexter has in Chapter 19. What does this dream foreshadow?
8. Describe Dexter's first experience with the Dark Passenger.
9. Explain why there is a battle for jurisdiction at the crime scene. Who is the battle between? Who ultimately wins the battle?
10. Who interrupts Dexter's killing process in Chapter 15? How is Dexter aware of this person? How does Dexter handle this interruption?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Jeff Lindsay's use of personification throughout the text. Use specific examples from Darkly Dreaming Dexter to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relevance of the setting of Miami to the plot of the novel. Why is the setting important to the understanding of Darkly Dreaming Dexter?
Essay Topic 3
Identify a character who outwardly conforms while questioning inwardly. Analyze how this tension between outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the meaning of the work.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)