|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dexter envision Deborah to be?
2. How old was Dexter when his biological mother died?
3. The statement, "and there I was out over the city like a boneless bird, flowing and swift and the cold air moved around me..." comes from where?
4. Who has jurisdiction at the Office Depot Center?
5. Who is Deborah referring to when she says, "maybe about fashion. She dresses really nice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Dexter find inside the storage container? Who does Dexter hypothesize put Deborah in the storage container? Is his hypothesis correct? Explain.
2. Describe the dream Dexter has in Chapter 19. What does this dream foreshadow?
3. When was the last time Dexter was inside the storage container? How did this event effect Dexter?
4. Who interrupts Dexter's killing process in Chapter 15? How is Dexter aware of this person? How does Dexter handle this interruption?
5. Who calls Dexter in the beginning of Chapter 24? Why is this person calling? What conclusion does Dexter come to with this phone call?
6. What souvenir does Dexter collect from his victims? Whom does Dexter not get a souvenir from? How does he go about retrieving his souvenir?
7. Describe Dexter's first experience with the Dark Passenger.
8. Where does Deborah think the bodies of the three heads might be? Does Dexter agree with Deborah's hypothesis? Explain.
9. Describe the new gift Dexter finds in his car in Chapter 24. What clue does this gift reveal to Dexter?
10. What does Brian want Dexter to do with him? Does Dexter abide by Brian's request? Explain. Who does Dexter and Brian kill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you show how a minor character in the novel functions in the work. Discuss how the character affects action, theme, or the development of other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel in which a character's success in achieving goals depends on keeping a secret and divulging it only at the right moment. Briefly explain the necessity for secrecy and how the character's choice to reveal or keep the secret affects the plot and contributes to the meaning of the work as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Define a tragic hero. Based on your definition, create an argument for or against Dexter being a tragic hero.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)