|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dexter referring to when he says, "He has Deborah"?
2. ______ knows Dexter's dark secret.
3. Where does Dexter envision Deborah to be?
4. What does Dexter find in his passenger seat of his car?
5. According to Deborah, what would Harry do if he saw the image on the security video?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Dexter find inside the storage container? Who does Dexter hypothesize put Deborah in the storage container? Is his hypothesis correct? Explain.
2. What two conclusions does Dexter come to when thinking about the Jaworski murder case?
3. Where does Deborah think the bodies of the three heads might be? Does Dexter agree with Deborah's hypothesis? Explain.
4. Explain why there is a battle for jurisdiction at the crime scene. Who is the battle between? Who ultimately wins the battle?
5. What is the name of Dexter's latest kill in Chapter 14? What crime did this person commit? How does Dexter's victim feel about the crime he has committed?
6. Why is LaGuerta angry with Deborah in Chapter 22? How does LaGuerta take out her frustrations on Deborah?
7. Where does Dexter go after he is nearly caught cutting up his victim? What happens at this location?
8. Who is the Tamiami Trail Killer? How is he related to Dexter? What information does the Tamiami Trail Killer reveal to Dexter to prove his relation to him?
9. Who is the first person Deborah and Dexter interview at the ice rink? What information does this person reveal to them? Why is this information important to the crime scene?
10. What three gifts does the Tamiami Trail Killer leave behind? What do these three gifts represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define a tragic hero. Based on your definition, create an argument for or against Dexter being a tragic hero.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Jeff Lindsay's use of personification throughout the text. Use specific examples from Darkly Dreaming Dexter to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Select a scene from the novel that you find most memorable. Write an essay in which you identify the scene, explain its relationship to the work and analyze the reasons for its effectiveness.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)