|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the man in the security video resemble?
2. LaGuerta tells Dexter that if she doesn't catch the Tamiami Trail killer by herself in ______ she will be a meter maid.
3. Who calls Dexter looking for Deborah?
4. Dexter tells LaGuerta, "all of McHale's victims were off ______.
5. When asked, "wha' kinda cop you are, ha?" Dexter replies, "I'm a ______."
Short Essay Questions
1. What two conclusions does Dexter come to when thinking about the Jaworski murder case?
2. What is the name of Dexter's latest kill in Chapter 14? What crime did this person commit? How does Dexter's victim feel about the crime he has committed?
3. Explain the theme highlighted in Chapter 14.
4. Who is the first person Deborah and Dexter interview at the ice rink? What information does this person reveal to them? Why is this information important to the crime scene?
5. Who does LaGuerta invite to the crime scene in Chapter 20? What does she tell these people? What is the result of her invitation?
6. How does Dexter feel about people at the Metro-Dade police force saying he has a feeling for serial homicide? Explain.
7. Who does Dexter find inside the storage container? Who does Dexter hypothesize put Deborah in the storage container? Is his hypothesis correct? Explain.
8. Who is the first person Dexter ever killed? How old was he at the time? Who choose Dexter's first victim? Explain.
9. Describe the new gift Dexter finds in his car in Chapter 24. What clue does this gift reveal to Dexter?
10. When was the last time Dexter was inside the storage container? How did this event effect Dexter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you show how a minor character in the novel functions in the work. Discuss how the character affects action, theme, or the development of other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the first chapter of Darkly Dreaming Dexter introduces the major theme of the piece. Use specific details from the first chapter to justify your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a scene from Darkly Dreaming Dexter in which some of the most significant events are mental or psychological, such as an awakening, discovery, or change in consciousness. In a well-organized essay, describe how the author manages to give these internal events the sense of excitement, suspense and climax usually associated with external action.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)