|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the following are Harry's Way of killing, except for which one?
2. Dexter observes Brian reaching into a carton and pulling out a handful of ______ with a springing panther on them.
3. Who is Dexter's first human victim?
4. What directs Dexter to the right storage container?
5. According to Deborah, what would Harry do if he saw the image on the security video?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first person Dexter ever killed? How old was he at the time? Who choose Dexter's first victim? Explain.
2. What three gifts does the Tamiami Trail Killer leave behind? What do these three gifts represent?
3. When was the last time Dexter was inside the storage container? How did this event effect Dexter?
4. Who interrupts Dexter's killing process in Chapter 15? How is Dexter aware of this person? How does Dexter handle this interruption?
5. What does Dexter find at the docks? How do these objects fit the killer's need for tight, enclosed spaces?
6. Who is the first person Deborah and Dexter interview at the ice rink? What information does this person reveal to them? Why is this information important to the crime scene?
7. How does Dexter feel about people at the Metro-Dade police force saying he has a feeling for serial homicide? Explain.
8. Explain why there is a battle for jurisdiction at the crime scene. Who is the battle between? Who ultimately wins the battle?
9. Who does Dexter find inside the storage container? Who does Dexter hypothesize put Deborah in the storage container? Is his hypothesis correct? Explain.
10. Who calls Dexter in the beginning of Chapter 24? Why is this person calling? What conclusion does Dexter come to with this phone call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define a tragic hero. Based on your definition, create an argument for or against Dexter being a tragic hero.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Jeff Lindsay's use of personification throughout the text. Use specific examples from Darkly Dreaming Dexter to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In a critical essay, analyze the main conflict in Darkly Dreaming Dexter and discuss the moral and ethical implications for both Dexter and the society in which he lives.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)