|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The last time Dexter was in the storage container, who was he looking for?
2. In Chapter 24, Deborah signed out of work to go to ________.
3. Dexter says, "I know it is a nearly human weakness, and it may be no more than ordinary sentimentality, but I have always loved ______."
4. At the end of the novel, Dexter says he is going to call on ______ at the next full moon.
5. According to LaGuerta, who wants to kill Dexter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brian want Dexter to do with him? Does Dexter abide by Brian's request? Explain. Who does Dexter and Brian kill?
2. What souvenir does Dexter collect from his victims? Whom does Dexter not get a souvenir from? How does he go about retrieving his souvenir?
3. Who is the Tamiami Trail Killer? How is he related to Dexter? What information does the Tamiami Trail Killer reveal to Dexter to prove his relation to him?
4. Who is the first person Dexter ever killed? How old was he at the time? Who choose Dexter's first victim? Explain.
5. When was the last time Dexter was inside the storage container? How did this event effect Dexter?
6. Who asks Dexter for help in solving the Jaworski case? Why does this person turn to Dexter?
7. Where does Dexter go after he is nearly caught cutting up his victim? What happens at this location?
8. Describe the dream Dexter has in Chapter 19. What does this dream foreshadow?
9. What is the name of Dexter's latest kill in Chapter 14? What crime did this person commit? How does Dexter's victim feel about the crime he has committed?
10. Explain why there is a battle for jurisdiction at the crime scene. Who is the battle between? Who ultimately wins the battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Jeff Lindsay's use of personification throughout the text. Use specific examples from Darkly Dreaming Dexter to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze how a stereotyped character or characters in Darkly Dreaming Dexter function to achieve the author's purpose of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the first chapter of Darkly Dreaming Dexter introduces the major theme of the piece. Use specific details from the first chapter to justify your answer.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)