|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dexter say was really terrible at screaming?
2. Where does the Tamiami Trail killer leave the bodies in Chapter 19?
3. Dexter says, "I know it is a nearly human weakness, and it may be no more than ordinary sentimentality, but I have always loved ______."
4. At what time does Dexter suggest Deborah begin reviewing the security tape?
5. Who is Deborah referring to when she says, "maybe about fashion. She dresses really nice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Dexter go after he is nearly caught cutting up his victim? What happens at this location?
2. Who asks Dexter for help in solving the Jaworski case? Why does this person turn to Dexter?
3. Who follows Dexter to the docks? Why does this person follow him? Who warned this person of Dexter's illicit behavior?
4. What does the security camera capture that surprises both Deborah and Dexter? How does Deborah respond to this surprise?
5. Who does Dexter find inside the storage container? Who does Dexter hypothesize put Deborah in the storage container? Is his hypothesis correct? Explain.
6. Who interrupts Dexter's killing process in Chapter 15? How is Dexter aware of this person? How does Dexter handle this interruption?
7. How does Dexter feel about people at the Metro-Dade police force saying he has a feeling for serial homicide? Explain.
8. What is the name of Dexter's latest kill in Chapter 14? What crime did this person commit? How does Dexter's victim feel about the crime he has committed?
9. When was the last time Dexter was inside the storage container? How did this event effect Dexter?
10. Who does LaGuerta invite to the crime scene in Chapter 20? What does she tell these people? What is the result of her invitation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define a tragic hero. Based on your definition, create an argument for or against Dexter being a tragic hero.
Essay Topic 2
Distinguish the character of Brian to that of Dexter. Explain their similarities and differences as detailed in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Jeff Lindsay's use of personification throughout the text. Use specific examples from Darkly Dreaming Dexter to support your answer.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)