|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dexter tells LaGuerta, "all of McHale's victims were off ______.
2. Who is Dexter's first human victim?
3. According to Harry, the Last Nurse kills by ______ her patients.
4. In Chapter 23, who says, "no one will blame you" in regard to the image on the security video?
5. At the end of the novel, Dexter says he is going to call on ______ at the next full moon.
Essay Topic 1
Identify a character who outwardly conforms while questioning inwardly. Analyze how this tension between outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the meaning of the work.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of politicking in the police force. Analyze how the author uses literary elements to explore this issue and explain how the issue contributes to the meaning of the work, include the effect it has on the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a scene from Darkly Dreaming Dexter in which some of the most significant events are mental or psychological, such as an awakening, discovery, or change in consciousness. In a well-organized essay, describe how the author manages to give these internal events the sense of excitement, suspense and climax usually associated with external action.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)