|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Dexter say a bottle of Luminol cost?
2. Captain Matthews tells LaGuerta that ______ is going to maintain a peripheral involvement in this case.
3. Who is the narrator waiting and watching for in Chapter 1?
4. When asked, "what are you?" the narrator replies, "the beginning. And the end. Meet your ______, Father."
5. Dexter says that ______ are important to him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Detective LaGuerta's hypothesis as to why the Tamiami Trail Killer did not finish cutting his victim? What does Dexter find wrong with her hypothesis?
2. Why are Dexter's co-workers surprised to see him at the crime scene in the beginning of the novel? What is Dexter's reaction to this news? Explain.
3. Who makes an arrest in the Tamiami Trail Killer case? Why does this person think they have the right suspect?
4. What does Dexter do on his date with Rita that upsets her? What is Dexter's reaction to the situation? What is he thinking about?
5. Describe Rita. Who is she to Dexter? How is she the perfect girlfriend for Dexter?
6. Describe Dexter's dream in Chapter 7. What literary device is the author using through this dream?
7. Describe Dexter's feelings towards children. Does he want kids of his own? Explain.
8. Who says, "I am a very neat monster"? What is this character referring to?
9. Who does Dexter kill in the beginning of the novel? Why does Dexter kill this person?
10. What is the relationship between Deborah and Detective LaGuerta? How does LaGuerta display her dislike in Deborah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define a tragic hero. Based on your definition, create an argument for or against Dexter being a tragic hero.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of politicking in the police force. Analyze how the author uses literary elements to explore this issue and explain how the issue contributes to the meaning of the work, include the effect it has on the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a scene from Darkly Dreaming Dexter in which some of the most significant events are mental or psychological, such as an awakening, discovery, or change in consciousness. In a well-organized essay, describe how the author manages to give these internal events the sense of excitement, suspense and climax usually associated with external action.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)