|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object is thrown at Dexter's car?
2. What is Dexter's profession?
3. What type of vehicle does Dexter suggest the murder suspect uses to transport the bodies?
4. Who says, "you're different, Dexter. But you can learn to control that difference and use it constructively"?
5. The narrator is wearing all of the following in Chapter 1, except for which?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is cell crystallization? How is it relevant to the murder victims?
2. Dexter states that he has a small reputation for hunches, what does he mean? Why is he capable of having such hunches?
3. Why does Dexter go out for a drive in the middle of the night? What is he hoping to find?
4. What question does Dexter say is the key to thinking about the killer? How would Dexter have done things different had he committed these murders?
5. Who is Detective LaGuerta? Do the other characters in the novel respect Detective LaGuerta? What is her relationship with Dexter like?
6. Whose point of view the story is told from? How is this point of view useful in understanding the overall meaning of the novel?
7. Who does Dexter kill in the beginning of the novel? Why does Dexter kill this person?
8. Describe Dexter's feelings towards children. Does he want kids of his own? Explain.
9. What "trophy" does the Tamiami Trail Killer give to Dexter? For what reason does Dexter believe the killer gave him this trophy?
10. Describe Dexter's dream in Chapter 7. What literary device is the author using through this dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze at least three examples of symbolism found within Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Cite your references.
Essay Topic 2
Identify a character who outwardly conforms while questioning inwardly. Analyze how this tension between outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the meaning of the work.
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel in which a character's success in achieving goals depends on keeping a secret and divulging it only at the right moment. Briefly explain the necessity for secrecy and how the character's choice to reveal or keep the secret affects the plot and contributes to the meaning of the work as a whole.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)