|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of vehicle does Dexter suggest the murder suspect uses to transport the bodies?
2. What does the narrator stick in Father Donovan's neck?
3. Who killed the seven orphaned children?
4. Who confesses to being the Tamiami Trail killer?
5. The narrator is wearing all of the following in Chapter 1, except for which?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who says, "I am a very neat monster"? What is this character referring to?
2. Who is Detective LaGuerta? Do the other characters in the novel respect Detective LaGuerta? What is her relationship with Dexter like?
3. What is the relationship between Deborah and Detective LaGuerta? How does LaGuerta display her dislike in Deborah?
4. What is Detective LaGuerta's hypothesis as to why the Tamiami Trail Killer did not finish cutting his victim? What does Dexter find wrong with her hypothesis?
5. What is the name of the suspect arrested in the Tamiami Trail murder case? What makes this person a potential suspect?
6. Compare and contrast Dexter and Deborah Morgan. Use specific details from the text to support your answer.
7. What does Dexter do on his date with Rita that upsets her? What is Dexter's reaction to the situation? What is he thinking about?
8. Whose point of view the story is told from? How is this point of view useful in understanding the overall meaning of the novel?
9. Why does Dexter go out for a drive in the middle of the night? What is he hoping to find?
10. What question does Dexter say is the key to thinking about the killer? How would Dexter have done things different had he committed these murders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you show how a minor character in the novel functions in the work. Discuss how the character affects action, theme, or the development of other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Distinguish the character of Brian to that of Dexter. Explain their similarities and differences as detailed in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Identify a character who outwardly conforms while questioning inwardly. Analyze how this tension between outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the meaning of the work.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)