|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of vehicle does Dexter suggest the murder suspect uses to transport the bodies?
2. Dexter believes the murder suspect ______ a vehicle to transport the bodies.
3. The narrator is wearing all of the following in Chapter 1, except for which?
4. The speed limit on Biscayne Boulevard is ______.
5. What object does Dexter imagine bringing home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the priest's final words? Why do you think he says this?
2. Who says, "I am a very neat monster"? What is this character referring to?
3. What gift does the intruder leave Dexter? What is symbolic of this gift?
4. Who makes an arrest in the Tamiami Trail Killer case? Why does this person think they have the right suspect?
5. Describe the dream Dexter has in Chapter 19. What does this dream foreshadow?
6. Describe Dexter's first experience with the Dark Passenger.
7. Where does Deborah think the bodies of the three heads might be? Does Dexter agree with Deborah's hypothesis? Explain.
8. Why is LaGuerta angry with Deborah in Chapter 22? How does LaGuerta take out her frustrations on Deborah?
9. What souvenir does Dexter collect from his victims? Whom does Dexter not get a souvenir from? How does he go about retrieving his souvenir?
10. Who asks Dexter for help in solving the Jaworski case? Why does this person turn to Dexter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify a character who outwardly conforms while questioning inwardly. Analyze how this tension between outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the meaning of the work.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character from the novel, other than Dexter, whose mind is pulled in conflicting directions by two compelling desires, ambitions, obligations, or influences. Then, in a well-organized essay, identify each of the two conflicting forces and explain how this conflict with one character illuminates the meaning of the work as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the title Darkly Dreaming Dexter and analyze how it is developed throughout the novel.
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)