|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rita is all of the following except which one?
2. Who says, "I guess it's possible to miss a lot of obvious things, Detective"?
3. When asked, "what are you?" the narrator replies, "the beginning. And the end. Meet your ______, Father."
4. How many slides with dry drops of blood does Dexter have in Chapter 2?
5. Dexter reveals that their murder suspect is nicknamed the ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dexter Morgan? Who is his father and what was his occupation? Describe the relationship Dexter has with his father.
2. Describe Dexter's feelings towards children. Does he want kids of his own? Explain.
3. What is the name of the suspect arrested in the Tamiami Trail murder case? What makes this person a potential suspect?
4. What question does Dexter say is the key to thinking about the killer? How would Dexter have done things different had he committed these murders?
5. Why does Dexter attend the Metro's seventy-two hour meeting? Who is unhappy that Dexter is at the meeting? Explain.
6. Explain what Dexter believes the real Tamiami Trail Killer is going to do now that there has been an arrest in the murder case.
7. Compare and contrast Dexter and Deborah Morgan. Use specific details from the text to support your answer.
8. What are the priest's final words? Why do you think he says this?
9. For what reason does Dexter say he does his job? Does he do it to catch the bad guy?
10. Why does Dexter follow the refrigerated truck? What happens after the truck driver realizes that Dexter has been following him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel in which a character's success in achieving goals depends on keeping a secret and divulging it only at the right moment. Briefly explain the necessity for secrecy and how the character's choice to reveal or keep the secret affects the plot and contributes to the meaning of the work as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
In a detailed essay, explain how the Dark Passenger affects and relates to Dexter. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Select a scene from the novel that you find most memorable. Write an essay in which you identify the scene, explain its relationship to the work and analyze the reasons for its effectiveness.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)