|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dexter says that as a rule he does not remember ______.
2. According to Dexter, why did the murder suspect not finish cutting his latest victim?
3. Who is the very large black man with an injured air of permanent hostility?
4. How many slides with dry drops of blood does Dexter have in Chapter 2?
5. Dexter believes the murder suspect ______ a vehicle to transport the bodies.
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose point of view the story is told from? How is this point of view useful in understanding the overall meaning of the novel?
2. What are the priest's final words? Why do you think he says this?
3. Who is Detective LaGuerta? Do the other characters in the novel respect Detective LaGuerta? What is her relationship with Dexter like?
4. Describe Rita. Who is she to Dexter? How is she the perfect girlfriend for Dexter?
5. What is the relationship between Deborah and Detective LaGuerta? How does LaGuerta display her dislike in Deborah?
6. Describe in detail the process by which Dexter captures his first victim of the novel. Where does he take his victim?
7. Who says, "I am a very neat monster"? What is this character referring to?
8. Who was first aware of Dexter's dark secret? What did this person advise Dexter to do?
9. Who is Dexter Morgan? Who is his father and what was his occupation? Describe the relationship Dexter has with his father.
10. What is Detective LaGuerta's hypothesis as to why the Tamiami Trail Killer did not finish cutting his victim? What does Dexter find wrong with her hypothesis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel in which a character's success in achieving goals depends on keeping a secret and divulging it only at the right moment. Briefly explain the necessity for secrecy and how the character's choice to reveal or keep the secret affects the plot and contributes to the meaning of the work as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the major similarities and differences in a sequence of parallel or recurring events in Darkly Dreaming Dexter.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a death scene from the novel that reveals the values of the main character and the society in which he lives. In a focused essay, discuss the contribution the scene makes to the meaning of the work as a whole.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)