|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator is wearing all of the following in Chapter 1, except for which?
2. Who is Dexter referring to when he says, "bravo, Miss Marple"?
3. Who is Jackson Pollock?
4. "That Stanley Cup year, every time the Panthers scored the fans threw three or four thousand ______ onto the rink.
5. Where do Dexter and his girlfriend go for their date?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dexter's feelings towards children. Does he want kids of his own? Explain.
2. For what reason does Dexter say he does his job? Does he do it to catch the bad guy?
3. Describe Rita. Who is she to Dexter? How is she the perfect girlfriend for Dexter?
4. Describe in detail the process by which Dexter captures his first victim of the novel. Where does he take his victim?
5. What question does Dexter say is the key to thinking about the killer? How would Dexter have done things different had he committed these murders?
6. Who is Dexter Morgan? Who is his father and what was his occupation? Describe the relationship Dexter has with his father.
7. How does Dexter feel about killing and in what way does killing satisfy Dexter? How does killing affect his "dark schemata"?
8. What is Detective LaGuerta's hypothesis as to why the Tamiami Trail Killer did not finish cutting his victim? What does Dexter find wrong with her hypothesis?
9. Who makes an arrest in the Tamiami Trail Killer case? Why does this person think they have the right suspect?
10. Who was first aware of Dexter's dark secret? What did this person advise Dexter to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a detailed essay, explain how the Dark Passenger affects and relates to Dexter. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the title Darkly Dreaming Dexter and analyze how it is developed throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel in which a character's success in achieving goals depends on keeping a secret and divulging it only at the right moment. Briefly explain the necessity for secrecy and how the character's choice to reveal or keep the secret affects the plot and contributes to the meaning of the work as a whole.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)