|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jackson Pollock?
2. The speed limit on Biscayne Boulevard is ______.
3. Dexter gives ______ the creeps.
4. Who makes an arrest in the Tamiami Trail case?
5. Dexter explains that "Rita was merely my ______, a silly kid's costume I wore on weekends to hide the fact that I was the kind of person who did the things that this other interesting fellow was now doing and I wasn't."
Short Essay Questions
1. After much consideration, what is Dexter's hypothesis of the Tamiami Trail Killer's reason for not finishing the cutting of his victim? To whom does he tell his hypothesis to? Does Dexter think the Tamiami Trail Killer will kill again? Explain.
2. What question does Dexter say is the key to thinking about the killer? How would Dexter have done things different had he committed these murders?
3. Describe Dexter's feelings towards children. Does he want kids of his own? Explain.
4. How does Dexter know someone has been inside his home? What is damaged or missing inside Dexter's home?
5. Dexter states that he has a small reputation for hunches, what does he mean? Why is he capable of having such hunches?
6. What is cell crystallization? How is it relevant to the murder victims?
7. Compare and contrast Dexter and Deborah Morgan. Use specific details from the text to support your answer.
8. Describe in detail the process by which Dexter captures his first victim of the novel. Where does he take his victim?
9. Why does Dexter follow the refrigerated truck? What happens after the truck driver realizes that Dexter has been following him?
10. How does Dexter feel about killing and in what way does killing satisfy Dexter? How does killing affect his "dark schemata"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the major similarities and differences in a sequence of parallel or recurring events in Darkly Dreaming Dexter.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a death scene from the novel that reveals the values of the main character and the society in which he lives. In a focused essay, discuss the contribution the scene makes to the meaning of the work as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Distinguish the character of Brian to that of Dexter. Explain their similarities and differences as detailed in the text.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)