|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Captain Matthews tells LaGuerta that ______ is going to maintain a peripheral involvement in this case.
2. Who repetitively says, "f it had been me..." in Chapter 11?
3. ______ is a part of Miami that sleeps.
4. Metro-Dade has a policy of pulling the homicide team together approximately _____ after a murder.
5. What does Dexter find attached to his refrigerator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who says, "I am a very neat monster"? What is this character referring to?
2. Who is Dexter Morgan? Who is his father and what was his occupation? Describe the relationship Dexter has with his father.
3. Who is Detective LaGuerta? Do the other characters in the novel respect Detective LaGuerta? What is her relationship with Dexter like?
4. What is the name of the suspect arrested in the Tamiami Trail murder case? What makes this person a potential suspect?
5. Who makes an arrest in the Tamiami Trail Killer case? Why does this person think they have the right suspect?
6. What does Dexter do on his date with Rita that upsets her? What is Dexter's reaction to the situation? What is he thinking about?
7. What are the priest's final words? Why do you think he says this?
8. What is Detective LaGuerta's hypothesis as to why the Tamiami Trail Killer did not finish cutting his victim? What does Dexter find wrong with her hypothesis?
9. How does Dexter feel about killing and in what way does killing satisfy Dexter? How does killing affect his "dark schemata"?
10. Compare and contrast Dexter and Deborah Morgan. Use specific details from the text to support your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the title Darkly Dreaming Dexter and analyze how it is developed throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the first chapter of Darkly Dreaming Dexter introduces the major theme of the piece. Use specific details from the first chapter to justify your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Select a scene from the novel that you find most memorable. Write an essay in which you identify the scene, explain its relationship to the work and analyze the reasons for its effectiveness.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)