|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Channel ______ is the channel of choice for people with an eye for carnage.
2. In context to Chapter 1, the word "mess" refers to what?
3. Who says, "I heard you were here and couldn't stay away. Please, Detective, when will you marry me?"
4. What object does Angel hold up at the end of Chapter 10?
5. Who is the Dark Passenger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dexter Morgan? Who is his father and what was his occupation? Describe the relationship Dexter has with his father.
2. Why are Dexter's co-workers surprised to see him at the crime scene in the beginning of the novel? What is Dexter's reaction to this news? Explain.
3. How does Dexter feel about killing and in what way does killing satisfy Dexter? How does killing affect his "dark schemata"?
4. Why does Dexter go out for a drive in the middle of the night? What is he hoping to find?
5. Who makes an arrest in the Tamiami Trail Killer case? Why does this person think they have the right suspect?
6. What "trophy" does the Tamiami Trail Killer give to Dexter? For what reason does Dexter believe the killer gave him this trophy?
7. Describe Dexter's dream in Chapter 7. What literary device is the author using through this dream?
8. Why does Dexter attend the Metro's seventy-two hour meeting? Who is unhappy that Dexter is at the meeting? Explain.
9. Compare and contrast Dexter and Deborah Morgan. Use specific details from the text to support your answer.
10. Explain what Dexter believes the real Tamiami Trail Killer is going to do now that there has been an arrest in the murder case.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the major similarities and differences in a sequence of parallel or recurring events in Darkly Dreaming Dexter.
Essay Topic 2
Select a scene from the novel that you find most memorable. Write an essay in which you identify the scene, explain its relationship to the work and analyze the reasons for its effectiveness.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relevance of the setting of Miami to the plot of the novel. Why is the setting important to the understanding of Darkly Dreaming Dexter?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)