|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dexter find inside his freezer?
2. Who is Metro-Dade police's rival?
3. What is the tattoo of on the ankle of the murder victim in Chapter 3?
4. Where is the decapitated body found in Chapter 10?
5. Who killed the seven orphaned children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dexter attend the Metro's seventy-two hour meeting? Who is unhappy that Dexter is at the meeting? Explain.
2. What object is sitting on top of the package of body parts found in the goalie's net at the ice rink? Who is the object left for? Why?
3. Why are Dexter's co-workers surprised to see him at the crime scene in the beginning of the novel? What is Dexter's reaction to this news? Explain.
4. Who is Dexter Morgan? Who is his father and what was his occupation? Describe the relationship Dexter has with his father.
5. Who was first aware of Dexter's dark secret? What did this person advise Dexter to do?
6. Compare and contrast Dexter and Deborah Morgan. Use specific details from the text to support your answer.
7. What is the name of the suspect arrested in the Tamiami Trail murder case? What makes this person a potential suspect?
8. Who is Detective LaGuerta? Do the other characters in the novel respect Detective LaGuerta? What is her relationship with Dexter like?
9. Describe in detail the process by which Dexter captures his first victim of the novel. Where does he take his victim?
10. Who does Dexter kill in the beginning of the novel? Why does Dexter kill this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the title Darkly Dreaming Dexter and analyze how it is developed throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze how a stereotyped character or characters in Darkly Dreaming Dexter function to achieve the author's purpose of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you show how a minor character in the novel functions in the work. Discuss how the character affects action, theme, or the development of other characters.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)