|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Captain Matthews tells LaGuerta that ______ is going to maintain a peripheral involvement in this case.
2. What object is thrown at Dexter's car?
3. In context to Chapter 1, the word "mess" refers to what?
4. Who is the narrator waiting and watching for in Chapter 1?
5. Who is the very large black man with an injured air of permanent hostility?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the suspect arrested in the Tamiami Trail murder case? What makes this person a potential suspect?
2. Whose point of view the story is told from? How is this point of view useful in understanding the overall meaning of the novel?
3. Who says, "I am a very neat monster"? What is this character referring to?
4. What object is sitting on top of the package of body parts found in the goalie's net at the ice rink? Who is the object left for? Why?
5. Why does Dexter attend the Metro's seventy-two hour meeting? Who is unhappy that Dexter is at the meeting? Explain.
6. Why does Dexter follow the refrigerated truck? What happens after the truck driver realizes that Dexter has been following him?
7. Who is Detective LaGuerta? Do the other characters in the novel respect Detective LaGuerta? What is her relationship with Dexter like?
8. What is Detective LaGuerta's hypothesis as to why the Tamiami Trail Killer did not finish cutting his victim? What does Dexter find wrong with her hypothesis?
9. Describe in detail the process by which Dexter captures his first victim of the novel. Where does he take his victim?
10. What "trophy" does the Tamiami Trail Killer give to Dexter? For what reason does Dexter believe the killer gave him this trophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify a character who outwardly conforms while questioning inwardly. Analyze how this tension between outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the meaning of the work.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze how a stereotyped character or characters in Darkly Dreaming Dexter function to achieve the author's purpose of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the title Darkly Dreaming Dexter and analyze how it is developed throughout the novel.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)