|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dexter realizes that ______ likes him.
2. Who is Jackson Pollock?
3. How much does Dexter say a bottle of Luminol cost?
4. When Dexter was young, who/what did he kill?
5. Who is Dexter referring to when he says, "bravo, Miss Marple"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does the intruder leave Dexter? What is symbolic of this gift?
2. Who does Dexter kill in the beginning of the novel? Why does Dexter kill this person?
3. Why does Dexter follow the refrigerated truck? What happens after the truck driver realizes that Dexter has been following him?
4. Explain what Dexter believes the real Tamiami Trail Killer is going to do now that there has been an arrest in the murder case.
5. For what reason does Dexter say he does his job? Does he do it to catch the bad guy?
6. Why does Dexter attend the Metro's seventy-two hour meeting? Who is unhappy that Dexter is at the meeting? Explain.
7. What is Detective LaGuerta's hypothesis as to why the Tamiami Trail Killer did not finish cutting his victim? What does Dexter find wrong with her hypothesis?
8. Describe Dexter's dream in Chapter 7. What literary device is the author using through this dream?
9. Who was first aware of Dexter's dark secret? What did this person advise Dexter to do?
10. What question does Dexter say is the key to thinking about the killer? How would Dexter have done things different had he committed these murders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Jeff Lindsay's use of personification throughout the text. Use specific examples from Darkly Dreaming Dexter to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Select a scene from the novel that you find most memorable. Write an essay in which you identify the scene, explain its relationship to the work and analyze the reasons for its effectiveness.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze at least three examples of symbolism found within Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Cite your references.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)