|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Channel ______ is the channel of choice for people with an eye for carnage.
2. When Dexter was young, who/what did he kill?
3. In context, the word "artist" in Chapter 10, best means ______.
4. What type of vehicle does Dexter suggest the murder suspect uses to transport the bodies?
5. Dexter gives ______ the creeps.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is cell crystallization? How is it relevant to the murder victims?
2. For what reason does Dexter say he does his job? Does he do it to catch the bad guy?
3. After much consideration, what is Dexter's hypothesis of the Tamiami Trail Killer's reason for not finishing the cutting of his victim? To whom does he tell his hypothesis to? Does Dexter think the Tamiami Trail Killer will kill again? Explain.
4. What is the name of the suspect arrested in the Tamiami Trail murder case? What makes this person a potential suspect?
5. Explain what Dexter believes the real Tamiami Trail Killer is going to do now that there has been an arrest in the murder case.
6. Who is Dexter Morgan? Who is his father and what was his occupation? Describe the relationship Dexter has with his father.
7. Who is Detective LaGuerta? Do the other characters in the novel respect Detective LaGuerta? What is her relationship with Dexter like?
8. Why does Dexter attend the Metro's seventy-two hour meeting? Who is unhappy that Dexter is at the meeting? Explain.
9. Who was first aware of Dexter's dark secret? What did this person advise Dexter to do?
10. Describe in detail the process by which Dexter captures his first victim of the novel. Where does he take his victim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character found in Darkly Dreaming Dexter that can be considered morally ambiguous, behavior which discourages readers from identifying them as purely evil or purely good. Explain how the character can be viewed as morally ambiguous and why his or her moral ambiguity is significant to the work.
Essay Topic 2
In a critical essay, analyze the main conflict in Darkly Dreaming Dexter and discuss the moral and ethical implications for both Dexter and the society in which he lives.
Essay Topic 3
Define a tragic hero. Based on your definition, create an argument for or against Dexter being a tragic hero.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)