|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator use to make a noose for his victim in Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 3, who finds the murder victim?
3. According to Dexter, the crime lab gang does not wear ______.
4. All of the following is true about Deborah, except for what?
5. After killing Father Donovan, Dexter states that the Code of _____ was satisfied.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dexter feel about killing and in what way does killing satisfy Dexter? How does killing affect his "dark schemata"?
2. What is the relationship between Deborah and Detective LaGuerta? How does LaGuerta display her dislike in Deborah?
3. Why does Dexter follow the refrigerated truck? What happens after the truck driver realizes that Dexter has been following him?
4. What is cell crystallization? How is it relevant to the murder victims?
5. Who does Dexter kill in the beginning of the novel? Why does Dexter kill this person?
6. What object is sitting on top of the package of body parts found in the goalie's net at the ice rink? Who is the object left for? Why?
7. Describe Dexter's dream in Chapter 7. What literary device is the author using through this dream?
8. Explain why there is a battle for jurisdiction at the crime scene. Who is the battle between? Who ultimately wins the battle?
9. Who is the first person Deborah and Dexter interview at the ice rink? What information does this person reveal to them? Why is this information important to the crime scene?
10. What "trophy" does the Tamiami Trail Killer give to Dexter? For what reason does Dexter believe the killer gave him this trophy?
Essay Topic 1
Distinguish the character of Brian to that of Dexter. Explain their similarities and differences as detailed in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel in which a character's success in achieving goals depends on keeping a secret and divulging it only at the right moment. Briefly explain the necessity for secrecy and how the character's choice to reveal or keep the secret affects the plot and contributes to the meaning of the work as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze at least three examples of symbolism found within Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Cite your references.
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)