|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In context, the word "artist" in Chapter 10, best means ______.
2. In Chapter 1, where has the narrator been hiding?
3. How does killing make Dexter feel?
4. What type of vehicle passes Dexter, throws an object at his car, and jumps the raising draw bridge?
5. What is the name of Miami's hockey team?
Short Essay Questions
1. After much consideration, what is Dexter's hypothesis of the Tamiami Trail Killer's reason for not finishing the cutting of his victim? To whom does he tell his hypothesis to? Does Dexter think the Tamiami Trail Killer will kill again? Explain.
2. Dexter states that he has a small reputation for hunches, what does he mean? Why is he capable of having such hunches?
3. What are the priest's final words? Why do you think he says this?
4. Why does Dexter follow the refrigerated truck? What happens after the truck driver realizes that Dexter has been following him?
5. What is the relationship between Deborah and Detective LaGuerta? How does LaGuerta display her dislike in Deborah?
6. Who makes an arrest in the Tamiami Trail Killer case? Why does this person think they have the right suspect?
7. Who says, "I am a very neat monster"? What is this character referring to?
8. Why are Dexter's co-workers surprised to see him at the crime scene in the beginning of the novel? What is Dexter's reaction to this news? Explain.
9. What object is sitting on top of the package of body parts found in the goalie's net at the ice rink? Who is the object left for? Why?
10. Describe Dexter's dream in Chapter 7. What literary device is the author using through this dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of politicking in the police force. Analyze how the author uses literary elements to explore this issue and explain how the issue contributes to the meaning of the work, include the effect it has on the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Select a scene from the novel that you find most memorable. Write an essay in which you identify the scene, explain its relationship to the work and analyze the reasons for its effectiveness.
Essay Topic 3
In a detailed essay, explain how the Dark Passenger affects and relates to Dexter. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)