|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of vehicle does Dexter suggest the murder suspect uses to transport the bodies?
2. "That Stanley Cup year, every time the Panthers scored the fans threw three or four thousand ______ onto the rink.
3. Who does Dexter tell about his discovery in his refrigerator?
4. In Chapter 1, where has the narrator been hiding?
5. What is the narrator wearing over his face when hunting his victim in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dexter's dream in Chapter 7. What literary device is the author using through this dream?
2. Who does Dexter kill in the beginning of the novel? Why does Dexter kill this person?
3. Why does Dexter go out for a drive in the middle of the night? What is he hoping to find?
4. What is the relationship between Deborah and Detective LaGuerta? How does LaGuerta display her dislike in Deborah?
5. Dexter states that he has a small reputation for hunches, what does he mean? Why is he capable of having such hunches?
6. What gift does the intruder leave Dexter? What is symbolic of this gift?
7. What does Dexter do on his date with Rita that upsets her? What is Dexter's reaction to the situation? What is he thinking about?
8. What is Detective LaGuerta's hypothesis as to why the Tamiami Trail Killer did not finish cutting his victim? What does Dexter find wrong with her hypothesis?
9. Who makes an arrest in the Tamiami Trail Killer case? Why does this person think they have the right suspect?
10. What is cell crystallization? How is it relevant to the murder victims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select a scene from the novel that you find most memorable. Write an essay in which you identify the scene, explain its relationship to the work and analyze the reasons for its effectiveness.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze how a stereotyped character or characters in Darkly Dreaming Dexter function to achieve the author's purpose of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the title Darkly Dreaming Dexter and analyze how it is developed throughout the novel.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)