|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages Dexter to kill people who deserve it?
2. What is unusual about the crime scene in Chapter 2?
3. Dexter refers to thugs, robbers, and crackheads as ______.
4. What does the narrator stick in Father Donovan's neck?
5. What type of souvenir from his victims does Dexter keep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who makes an arrest in the Tamiami Trail Killer case? Why does this person think they have the right suspect?
2. What does Dexter do on his date with Rita that upsets her? What is Dexter's reaction to the situation? What is he thinking about?
3. Who says, "I am a very neat monster"? What is this character referring to?
4. After much consideration, what is Dexter's hypothesis of the Tamiami Trail Killer's reason for not finishing the cutting of his victim? To whom does he tell his hypothesis to? Does Dexter think the Tamiami Trail Killer will kill again? Explain.
5. Why are Dexter's co-workers surprised to see him at the crime scene in the beginning of the novel? What is Dexter's reaction to this news? Explain.
6. What object is sitting on top of the package of body parts found in the goalie's net at the ice rink? Who is the object left for? Why?
7. Why does Dexter follow the refrigerated truck? What happens after the truck driver realizes that Dexter has been following him?
8. What "trophy" does the Tamiami Trail Killer give to Dexter? For what reason does Dexter believe the killer gave him this trophy?
9. Compare and contrast Dexter and Deborah Morgan. Use specific details from the text to support your answer.
10. Describe Rita. Who is she to Dexter? How is she the perfect girlfriend for Dexter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze how a stereotyped character or characters in Darkly Dreaming Dexter function to achieve the author's purpose of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of politicking in the police force. Analyze how the author uses literary elements to explore this issue and explain how the issue contributes to the meaning of the work, include the effect it has on the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the title Darkly Dreaming Dexter and analyze how it is developed throughout the novel.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)