|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Dexter been dating his girlfriend?
2. What is the tattoo of on the ankle of the murder victim in Chapter 3?
3. Father Donovan notices ______ small mounds of earth in the garden.
4. Who finds the refrigerated truck used to transport the decapitated bodies in Chapter 11?
5. What is cell crystallization?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason does Dexter say he does his job? Does he do it to catch the bad guy?
2. Describe Dexter's feelings towards children. Does he want kids of his own? Explain.
3. Explain what Dexter believes the real Tamiami Trail Killer is going to do now that there has been an arrest in the murder case.
4. What is Detective LaGuerta's hypothesis as to why the Tamiami Trail Killer did not finish cutting his victim? What does Dexter find wrong with her hypothesis?
5. Who is Detective LaGuerta? Do the other characters in the novel respect Detective LaGuerta? What is her relationship with Dexter like?
6. Describe in detail the process by which Dexter captures his first victim of the novel. Where does he take his victim?
7. Why does Dexter follow the refrigerated truck? What happens after the truck driver realizes that Dexter has been following him?
8. Why does Dexter attend the Metro's seventy-two hour meeting? Who is unhappy that Dexter is at the meeting? Explain.
9. Describe Dexter's dream in Chapter 7. What literary device is the author using through this dream?
10. Who is Dexter Morgan? Who is his father and what was his occupation? Describe the relationship Dexter has with his father.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the title Darkly Dreaming Dexter and analyze how it is developed throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Define a tragic hero. Based on your definition, create an argument for or against Dexter being a tragic hero.
Essay Topic 3
Distinguish the character of Brian to that of Dexter. Explain their similarities and differences as detailed in the text.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)