|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes an arrest in the Tamiami Trail case?
2. "That Stanley Cup year, every time the Panthers scored the fans threw three or four thousand ______ onto the rink.
3. In what state does the novel take place?
4. Who is the Dark Passenger?
5. Deborah tells Dexter that she wants to work in ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does the intruder leave Dexter? What is symbolic of this gift?
2. Explain what Dexter believes the real Tamiami Trail Killer is going to do now that there has been an arrest in the murder case.
3. What is the relationship between Deborah and Detective LaGuerta? How does LaGuerta display her dislike in Deborah?
4. Describe Dexter's dream in Chapter 7. What literary device is the author using through this dream?
5. Dexter states that he has a small reputation for hunches, what does he mean? Why is he capable of having such hunches?
6. For what reason does Dexter say he does his job? Does he do it to catch the bad guy?
7. How does Dexter know someone has been inside his home? What is damaged or missing inside Dexter's home?
8. Who was first aware of Dexter's dark secret? What did this person advise Dexter to do?
9. Who is Dexter Morgan? Who is his father and what was his occupation? Describe the relationship Dexter has with his father.
10. Whose point of view the story is told from? How is this point of view useful in understanding the overall meaning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define a tragic hero. Based on your definition, create an argument for or against Dexter being a tragic hero.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Jeff Lindsay's use of personification throughout the text. Use specific examples from Darkly Dreaming Dexter to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the major similarities and differences in a sequence of parallel or recurring events in Darkly Dreaming Dexter.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)