|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who makes an arrest in the Tamiami Trail case?
2. What is the narrator wearing over his face when hunting his victim in Chapter 1?
(a) A pair of nylon pantyhose.
(b) A black ski mask.
(c) A while silk mask.
(d) A Halloween mask.
3. In Chapter 1, where has the narrator been hiding?
(a) In a tree.
(b) In his victim's car.
(c) In his victim's house.
(d) In the bushes.
4. Dexter says that as a rule he does not remember ______.
(a) His victim's name.
(b) His dreams.
(c) His victim's address.
(d) His victim's phone number.
5. The narrator is wearing all of the following in Chapter 1, except for which?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dexter and his girlfriend go for their date?
2. When asked, "what are you?" the narrator replies, "the beginning. And the end. Meet your ______, Father."
3. Dexter gives ______ the creeps.
4. What is the first word of the novel?
5. "That Stanley Cup year, every time the Panthers scored the fans threw three or four thousand ______ onto the rink.
Short Essay Questions
1. Dexter states that he has a small reputation for hunches, what does he mean? Why is he capable of having such hunches?
2. Who says, "I am a very neat monster"? What is this character referring to?
3. For what reason does Dexter say he does his job? Does he do it to catch the bad guy?
4. Compare and contrast Dexter and Deborah Morgan. Use specific details from the text to support your answer.
5. How does Dexter feel about killing and in what way does killing satisfy Dexter? How does killing affect his "dark schemata"?
6. What does Dexter do on his date with Rita that upsets her? What is Dexter's reaction to the situation? What is he thinking about?
7. Whose point of view the story is told from? How is this point of view useful in understanding the overall meaning of the novel?
8. Why are Dexter's co-workers surprised to see him at the crime scene in the beginning of the novel? What is Dexter's reaction to this news? Explain.
9. Why does Dexter go out for a drive in the middle of the night? What is he hoping to find?
10. What is the relationship between Deborah and Detective LaGuerta? How does LaGuerta display her dislike in Deborah?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)