|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing in the desert to burn for a campfire?
2. What is the gunslinger thinking as he eats the grits Alice made for him?
3. What does Brown use for a dinner table?
4. What pleases the gunslinger about the fugitive he is following?
5. What spectacular thing does the gunslinger see in the night sky?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Allie's explanation about Nort's death.
2. Describe the man in black's arrival in the town of Tull.
3. Summarize the scene in the bar when Nort puts a hand on the gunslinger's shoulder.
4. Describe how Brown surprises the gunslinger.
5. Explain why the gunslinger tells Allie he is leaving in the morning.
6. Summarize what becomes of the gunslinger's mule.
7. Summarize what goes through the gunslinger's mind when Zoltan starts reciting the Lord's Prayer.
8. Describe Kennerly's daughters.
9. Describe what Allie tells the gunslinger about the desert.
10. Summarize the description Kennerly gives the gunslinger about what is beyond the desert.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how Stephen King uses local color and imagery to describe the desert and Tull.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the atmosphere, landscaping, the citizens, Sheb's Bar, the stable, and the main street.
3) Does the imagery King uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the town and the surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 2
1) Pinpoint the major conflicts in the novel.
2) Determine if these conflicts are internal or external and if they are between the characters themselves, personal conflicts, and conflicts with nature.
3) Give examples from the novel of these conflicts and if they are resolved by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the image of the altar and the stone circle in which Jake is mesmerized and the gunslinger receives his prophecy.
2) What does the stone circle symbolize?
3) What images does King use to describe the vision he receives and the oracle's message to him?
4) Cite examples of how the oracles prophecy relates to the gunslinger in the future.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)