|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the gunslinger react to Pittston's plea to the congregation to crush what she fears most?
2. What does the man in black announce to the patrons of the bar?
3. How have the gunslinger and Alice been spending the four days he has been in town?
4. What spectacular thing does the gunslinger see in the night sky?
5. What is unusual about Brown's description of growing corn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Allie's thoughts about the gunslinger after she hears him talking strangely to Nort.
2. Describe what the gunslinger finds when he goes into Brown's dwelling.
3. Summarize the scene in the bar when Nort puts a hand on the gunslinger's shoulder.
4. Describe the preacher who gives a sermon at the church.
5. Describe how Brown surprises the gunslinger.
6. Explain what the gunslinger is contemplating as he gets water from Brown's well.
7. Summarize the night sky as the gunslinger camps for the night.
8. Summarize how the gunslinger begins to tell the story of Tull.
9. Summarize Allie's explanation about Nort's death.
10. Describe the situation when Sheb breaks into Allie's room.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gunslinger has a number of dreams and visions throughout the novel.
1) Choose two of the gunslinger's dreams or visions and determine if they affect his reality or if they are only harmless imaginings.
2) Analyze how the gunslinger manages to remain in the real world even after being influenced by so many visions.
3) In what way do the visions change his course and alter his life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the image of the altar and the stone circle in which Jake is mesmerized and the gunslinger receives his prophecy.
2) What does the stone circle symbolize?
3) What images does King use to describe the vision he receives and the oracle's message to him?
4) Cite examples of how the oracles prophecy relates to the gunslinger in the future.
Essay Topic 3
1) Pinpoint the major conflicts in the novel.
2) Determine if these conflicts are internal or external and if they are between the characters themselves, personal conflicts, and conflicts with nature.
3) Give examples from the novel of these conflicts and if they are resolved by the end of the novel.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)