|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the gunslinger waits for his hamburgers to be cooked, what does the man behind him do?
2. What does the man in black announce to the patrons of the bar?
3. What does Brown use for a dinner table?
4. How have the gunslinger and Alice been spending the four days he has been in town?
5. What does the man in black do to Nort who lies across the tables?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Brown surprises the gunslinger.
2. Summarize the scene in the bar when Nort puts a hand on the gunslinger's shoulder.
3. Summarize how the man in black brings Nort back to life.
4. Describe the man in black's arrival in the town of Tull.
5. Summarize the preacher's comments about the Interloper.
6. Describe Allie's thoughts about the gunslinger after she hears him talking strangely to Nort.
7. Summarize the night sky as the gunslinger camps for the night.
8. Describe the first things that the gunslinger tells Brown about the town of Tull.
9. Describe the place where the preacher woman lives.
10. Describe the preacher who gives a sermon at the church.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between the gunslinger and Jake.
2) How does the man in black's father affect the gunslinger's relationship with Jake?
3) How does the gunslinger feel about Jake at the end of the novel?
4) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 2
1) Several times in the novel, it is mentioned that the world moved on.
2) Summarize what meaning this statement has for the gunslinger, the man in black, Jake, and the townspeople of Tull.
3) Cite examples from the novel that explain how the world moved on for each of them.
4) In the case of Jake, describe how two worlds have moved on for him.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the role of the gunslinger as the protagonist in the novel and the role of the man in black as the antagonist.
2) Explain the qualities each of the two characters has that places them into these roles.
3) In what way does the man in black oppose the gunslinger?
4) Justify the role of each man with examples from the novel.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)