|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man in black do to Nort who lies across the tables?
2. How does the gunslinger react to Pittston's plea to the congregation to crush what she fears most?
3. What does the gunslinger offer to pay Brown for?
4. What does the gunslinger lead out of the foothills?
5. Who does the gunslinger decide to ask about what is south of the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Allie's thoughts about the gunslinger after she hears him talking strangely to Nort.
2. Describe the young dweller that the gunslinger encounters when he comes out of the foothills.
3. Describe how Brown surprises the gunslinger.
4. Summarize how the man in black brings Nort back to life.
5. Explain why the gunslinger tells Allie he is leaving in the morning.
6. Describe the preacher who gives a sermon at the church.
7. Describe the explanation Brown gives about his planted corn the last time it rained.
8. Describe what the gunslinger finds when he goes into Brown's dwelling.
9. Summarize the discussion Brown and the gunslinger have after the blessing.
10. Summarize the scene in the bar when Nort puts a hand on the gunslinger's shoulder.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the image of the altar and the stone circle in which Jake is mesmerized and the gunslinger receives his prophecy.
2) What does the stone circle symbolize?
3) What images does King use to describe the vision he receives and the oracle's message to him?
4) Cite examples of how the oracles prophecy relates to the gunslinger in the future.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how the gunslinger's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward the man in black? How does his attitude change about himself?
3) What are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life differ from the beginning to the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) The gunslinger has many memories of his youth as a boy named Roland.
2) Describe what is learned about the gunslinger as an adult by his memories of Roland.
3) Explain how these memories of his early life affect his lifestyle and relationships as an adult.
4) Analyze how his notions as Roland have changed since becoming a gunslinger.
5) Cite examples to justify the answers.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)