|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the gunslinger consider might be the trap that the man in black left for him?
2. Who raps on the door halfway through the meal?
3. Who is the one character in the Bible that Sylvia Pittston fears?
4. What does the gunslinger believe the man in black left for him in Tull?
5. How does Brown prepare the meal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the landscape as the gunslinger arrives in Tull.
2. Describe Kennerly's daughters.
3. Summarize the preacher's comments about the Interloper.
4. Explain why the gunslinger tells Allie he is leaving in the morning.
5. Describe the first things that the gunslinger tells Brown about the town of Tull.
6. Explain what the gunslinger is contemplating as he gets water from Brown's well.
7. Summarize how the man in black brings Nort back to life.
8. Describe the man in black's arrival in the town of Tull.
9. Explain what the gunslinger is thinking as he eats his breakfast.
10. Summarize the discussion Brown and the gunslinger have after the blessing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the image of the altar and the stone circle in which Jake is mesmerized and the gunslinger receives his prophecy.
2) What does the stone circle symbolize?
3) What images does King use to describe the vision he receives and the oracle's message to him?
4) Cite examples of how the oracles prophecy relates to the gunslinger in the future.
Essay Topic 2
1) Choose several episodes from the novel that reveal important facets of the man in black's character.
2) Explain how these episodes are revealing.
3) Describe what motivates him and what his final goal is.
Essay Topic 3
1) Several times in the novel, it is mentioned that the world moved on.
2) Summarize what meaning this statement has for the gunslinger, the man in black, Jake, and the townspeople of Tull.
3) Cite examples from the novel that explain how the world moved on for each of them.
4) In the case of Jake, describe how two worlds have moved on for him.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)