|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the gunslinger believe the man in black did to Sylvia Pittston?
2. How does Kennerly describe Soobie to the gunslinger?
3. What does Alice tell the gunslinger about Nort's eyes?
4. What is Alice's opinion of the gunslinger?
5. What does the gunslinger think Brown will do after eating the meal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the levels of khef that are summarized in this chapter.
2. Describe Kennerly's daughters.
3. Describe the situation when Sheb breaks into Allie's room.
4. Summarize how the man in black brings Nort back to life.
5. Describe the place where the preacher woman lives.
6. Describe what Allie tells the gunslinger about the desert.
7. Describe the landscape as the gunslinger arrives in Tull.
8. Summarize what becomes of the gunslinger's mule.
9. Explain why the gunslinger tells Allie he is leaving in the morning.
10. Describe the first things that the gunslinger tells Brown about the town of Tull.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brown is a mystery to the gunslinger.
1) In what way does Brown help the gunslinger on his journey?
2) In what respect has Brown led the gunslinger to a new awareness about his own human nature and man's spiritual nature?
3) Explain how Brown is wise in the ways of the flesh and the spirit. Give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how the gunslinger's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward the man in black? How does his attitude change about himself?
3) What are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life differ from the beginning to the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) As the gunslinger walks through the desert, a nursery rhyme plays through his mind in a maddening way.
2) Determine King's purpose in using this poem in the story.
3) What does the poetic imagery reveal about the gunslinger's life?
4) Analyze the message his mother was trying to give to Roland about the road his life will take.
5) Cite examples from the novel that prove the prophecies in the rhyme have come true in the gunslinger's life as an adult.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)