|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice think about as she is on the edge of sleep?
2. Where does the light come from in Brown's hut?
3. What replaced the forests outside Tull?
4. What is Alice's reaction to the man in black's actions?
5. What does the gunslinger accuse Brown of doing to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the gunslinger tells Allie he is leaving in the morning.
2. Describe the desert in which the gunslinger is traveling.
3. Summarize the discussion Brown and the gunslinger have after the blessing.
4. Describe the explanation Brown gives about his planted corn the last time it rained.
5. Describe Allie's thoughts about the gunslinger after she hears him talking strangely to Nort.
6. Describe the man in black's arrival in the town of Tull.
7. Describe what the gunslinger passes in the desert after he leaves the town three weeks before.
8. Explain the levels of khef that are summarized in this chapter.
9. Describe what Allie tells the gunslinger about the desert.
10. Describe what the gunslinger finds when he goes into Brown's dwelling.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Stephen King's use of imagery to convey the tone of the novel.
2) How do the images of the weather and the desert add to this tone?
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Several times in the novel, it is mentioned that the world moved on.
2) Summarize what meaning this statement has for the gunslinger, the man in black, Jake, and the townspeople of Tull.
3) Cite examples from the novel that explain how the world moved on for each of them.
4) In the case of Jake, describe how two worlds have moved on for him.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Sylvia Pittston's final acts in the story and if she has any alternatives to the shootout in Tull.
2) Was her character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)