|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which levels of khef does thirst stop?
2. What does Kennerly tell Soobie to do when the gunslinger arrives?
3. What does Alice decide she can do in a day or two?
4. What is Alice's opinion of the gunslinger?
5. Who raps on the door halfway through the meal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the information Allie gives the gunslinger about the preacher woman.
2. Summarize how the man in black brings Nort back to life.
3. Describe the first things that the gunslinger tells Brown about the town of Tull.
4. Describe the landscape as the gunslinger arrives in Tull.
5. Describe the man in black's arrival in the town of Tull.
6. Describe Kennerly's daughters.
7. Summarize how the gunslinger begins to tell the story of Tull.
8. Explain what the gunslinger is thinking as he eats his breakfast.
9. Describe what Allie tells the gunslinger about the desert.
10. Summarize the discussion Brown and the gunslinger have after the blessing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Pinpoint the major conflicts in the novel.
2) Determine if these conflicts are internal or external and if they are between the characters themselves, personal conflicts, and conflicts with nature.
3) Give examples from the novel of these conflicts and if they are resolved by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how the gunslinger's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward the man in black? How does his attitude change about himself?
3) What are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life differ from the beginning to the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the image of the altar and the stone circle in which Jake is mesmerized and the gunslinger receives his prophecy.
2) What does the stone circle symbolize?
3) What images does King use to describe the vision he receives and the oracle's message to him?
4) Cite examples of how the oracles prophecy relates to the gunslinger in the future.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)