|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange thought crosses the gunslinger's mind about Brown?
2. Why was the bar closed on the night after the piano player attacked the gunslinger?
3. What does the gunslinger decide to do with his mule?
4. What does the gunslinger want to relate to Brown?
5. What spectacular thing does the gunslinger see in the night sky?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the information Allie gives the gunslinger about the preacher woman.
2. Describe Kennerly's daughters.
3. Summarize the scene in the bar when Nort puts a hand on the gunslinger's shoulder.
4. Explain what the gunslinger is contemplating as he gets water from Brown's well.
5. Explain why the gunslinger tells Allie he is leaving in the morning.
6. Describe Allie's room where she and the gunslinger make love.
7. Summarize the night sky as the gunslinger camps for the night.
8. Summarize how the man in black brings Nort back to life.
9. Describe the young dweller that the gunslinger encounters when he comes out of the foothills.
10. Describe the explanation Brown gives about his planted corn the last time it rained.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Pinpoint the major conflicts in the novel.
2) Determine if these conflicts are internal or external and if they are between the characters themselves, personal conflicts, and conflicts with nature.
3) Give examples from the novel of these conflicts and if they are resolved by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) As the gunslinger walks through the desert, a nursery rhyme plays through his mind in a maddening way.
2) Determine King's purpose in using this poem in the story.
3) What does the poetic imagery reveal about the gunslinger's life?
4) Analyze the message his mother was trying to give to Roland about the road his life will take.
5) Cite examples from the novel that prove the prophecies in the rhyme have come true in the gunslinger's life as an adult.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the image of the altar and the stone circle in which Jake is mesmerized and the gunslinger receives his prophecy.
2) What does the stone circle symbolize?
3) What images does King use to describe the vision he receives and the oracle's message to him?
4) Cite examples of how the oracles prophecy relates to the gunslinger in the future.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)