|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the gunslinger react to Brown's reason for giving an apology?
2. What does Alice tell the gunslinger about Nort's eyes?
3. What does the gunslinger accuse Brown of doing to him?
4. What happened to the real minister of Tull?
5. How long has it been since the gunslinger passed a town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the gunslinger tells Allie he is leaving in the morning.
2. Summarize the information Allie gives the gunslinger about the preacher woman.
3. Summarize the preacher's comments about the Interloper.
4. Describe the gunslinger's guns.
5. Describe the first things that the gunslinger tells Brown about the town of Tull.
6. Describe Allie's thoughts about the gunslinger after she hears him talking strangely to Nort.
7. Describe Allie's room where she and the gunslinger make love.
8. Describe the place where the preacher woman lives.
9. Describe the landscape as the gunslinger arrives in Tull.
10. Explain what the gunslinger is contemplating as he gets water from Brown's well.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how Stephen King uses local color and imagery to describe the desert and Tull.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the atmosphere, landscaping, the citizens, Sheb's Bar, the stable, and the main street.
3) Does the imagery King uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the town and the surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 2
The gunslinger has a number of dreams and visions throughout the novel.
1) Choose two of the gunslinger's dreams or visions and determine if they affect his reality or if they are only harmless imaginings.
2) Analyze how the gunslinger manages to remain in the real world even after being influenced by so many visions.
3) In what way do the visions change his course and alter his life?
Essay Topic 3
Brown is a mystery to the gunslinger.
1) In what way does Brown help the gunslinger on his journey?
2) In what respect has Brown led the gunslinger to a new awareness about his own human nature and man's spiritual nature?
3) Explain how Brown is wise in the ways of the flesh and the spirit. Give examples from the novel.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)