Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom did Chief Bromden's father make the decision he did in #65?
2. Who is always the first patient out of bed?
3. Who are the black boys?
4. How were the patients being tested for TB?
5. Who explodes irrationally at Harding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so special about Harding in relation to the rest of the patients on the ward?
2. What are some of the memories that the Chief recalls as the electroshock therapy hits him?
3. Harding's wife comes to visit, causing everyone to see why she upsets him so much. What is McMurphy's reaction when Harding asks McMurphy his opinion of his wife?
4. What does Harding's wife do when she comes to visit?
5. What does Chief Broom do to help save McMurphy from his new vegetative state?
6. What causes Nurse Ratched to fly into a rage at the start of the novel?
7. How will the men be punished for the rebellious behavior they exhibited during the World Series?
8. What does McMurphy see as his ticket out of the mental ward?
9. What does Nurse Ratched finally do in order to begin to topple the reign of McMurphy?
10. Who is described as being alert and chipper, unlike other new admissions?
Essay Topic 1
Some patients on the ward are labels Chronics because they aren't ever going to leave the ward, but is this a reasonable idea? Do you think that some mental diseases cannot be cured? Why or why not? What kinds of symptoms/signs are incurable? Or can every person return to the outside world at one point or another?
Essay Topic 2
The rumors that Nurse Ratched spreads are a part of a passive aggressive strategy to undermine McMurphy's authority in the ward. Do you think these rumors were the best possible plan? Why or why not? What other things could she have done to create a soured image of McMurphy? Why do you think Nurse Ratched prefers more subtle methods of manipulation?
Essay Topic 3
The nurses in the story run the gamut of nice to downright mean and manipulative. Is there a better nursing style in relation to these patients? Why did you answer the way you did? Choose one nurse character as the ideal nurse for this ward. Why did you choose this nurse? Do you think Nurse Ratched's style is well suited for this ward? Why or why not?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)