|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of McMurphy's nicknames?
2. Are the men mad at McMurphy for his actions in #64's answer?
3. What are the men waiting around to do one Friday in the lab?
4. Who is the one who 'accidentally' drowns?
5. What does McMurphy bet he can do in #24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the patients do when Nurse Ratched tells them to get away from the TV?
2. After Nurse Ratched tells the men about their punishment (as described in the answer to #28), what does McMurphy declare out loud?
3. Why doesn't Nurse Ratched want McMurphy sent to the Disturbed ward?
4. How could Billy Bibbit be described?
5. When McMurphy rants about the state of affairs in the ward, how does Billy Bibbit respond?
6. Who is described as being alert and chipper, unlike other new admissions?
7. How does Chief describe the days in the ward?
8. How will the men be punished for the rebellious behavior they exhibited during the World Series?
9. What does McMurphy see as his ticket out of the mental ward?
10. Which patients are the ones who have the highest likelihood of being cured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McMurphy is certainly the ringleader of many an uprising in the ward, but he's not the only one with aspirations to rebel. Why do you think the rest of the ward is silent in their treatment in the ward? What makes them fear Nurse Ratched so much? Why doesn't McMurphy fear Nurse Ratched? Do you think the other patients would have rebelled without McMurphy's stay at the ward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Solitary confinement seems like one of the most horrible ways to be punished. It's used in prisons and in mental wards, after all. Why do you think this has been used as a tool of punishment for so long? Do you think it's effective? Why or why not? Are there certain people who benefit more from this seclusion than others? Why or why not? Is there a better way to punish someone?
Essay Topic 3
The rumors that Nurse Ratched spreads are a part of a passive aggressive strategy to undermine McMurphy's authority in the ward. Do you think these rumors were the best possible plan? Why or why not? What other things could she have done to create a soured image of McMurphy? Why do you think Nurse Ratched prefers more subtle methods of manipulation?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)