|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the diagnosis that the staff come to that they will put McMurphy into the Disturbed ward for?
2. What does McMurphy do that flusters Nurse Ratched?
3. The majority of the men on the ward are not ________ cases.
4. What did Chief Bromden's father do when he realized he could not beat the system?
5. Who are the black boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which patients are the ones who have the highest likelihood of being cured?
2. What has McMurphy's rebellious spirit caused the men of the ward to begin to do?
3. What changes McMurphy's mind about the way he has been acting on the ward?
4. How could the patients of the ward be described?
5. What does Nurse Ratched tell the young black men to do before breakfast?
6. What is the cleaning crew of the mental hospital called?
7. Harding's wife comes to visit, causing everyone to see why she upsets him so much. What is McMurphy's reaction when Harding asks McMurphy his opinion of his wife?
8. Why doesn't Nurse Ratched want McMurphy sent to the Disturbed ward?
9. What does McMurphy see as his ticket out of the mental ward?
10. What is so special about Harding in relation to the rest of the patients on the ward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of McMurphy's childhood years shows the reader that he was not always as strong as he now is, that he had to learn that the only person who would take care of him was himself. Do you agree with this statement? Do you think this is a healthy mental state to live in or an unhealthy mindset? Why or why not? If McMurphy hadn't been ignored as a child, do you think he would have figured out the lesson on his own? Or do people need something horrible to happen before they can learn some lessons? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The trips the patients take seem to be the times when the patients are the happiest. Why do you think this is the case? Is it merely because of the change of scenery or because of the trips' activities? Do you think these trips were a good idea for the patients? Why or why not? Were these trips a good idea for the nurses who allowed them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The nurses in the story run the gamut of nice to downright mean and manipulative. Is there a better nursing style in relation to these patients? Why did you answer the way you did? Choose one nurse character as the ideal nurse for this ward. Why did you choose this nurse? Do you think Nurse Ratched's style is well suited for this ward? Why or why not?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)