|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Christian missionaries have been trying to steal Nash's converts?
2. What does the American Colonization Society do?
3. What is Madison Williams's occupation?
4. What is the name of Martha's friend?
5. What does Nash request assistance from Edward for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight that Chester had with some fellow poker players.
2. How did Madison Williams get emancipated?
3. What illness has killed many slaves?
4. What group of people make up most of Martha's business while she is in Kansas?
5. What happens to Martha at the end of "West"?
6. Describe the American Colonization Society.
7. Describe Cleo Hoffman.
8. Describe Leavenworth.
9. Do you think that the American Colonization Society sincerely believes in helping former slaves?
10. What did Edward dream that caused him much angst, and what does he interpret it as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Pagan Coast," setting is a prominent character in the same way that war is a prominent character in "Somewhere in England." How does setting play a role in "The Pagan Coast," and how does Liberia change in the eyes of the characters throughout the story? What did it represent in the beginning, and what did it represent in the end? How does war play a role in "Somewhere in England"? Describe how these unconventional characters (setting and war) play such significant roles in these stories? How do they influence their respective characters?
Essay Topic 2
While the first two stories in Crossing the River showed struggle more from the perspective of black characters who were victims of a cruel society that endorsed slavery, "Crossing the River" is told wholly from the perspective of a white captain who promotes slavery through trade. Describe his beliefs and how he reconciles them with the immoral profession he endorses and takes part in. What is "commercial detachment," and what does Captain Hamilton think of it?
Essay Topic 3
Christianity is a theme that runs throughout each story in Crossing the River. Choose two stories to compare in regards to the way Christianity influences characters. How do the characters' beliefs influence the plot? How do they reconcile their actions with their beliefs? Make sure you name which stories you choose, and use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)