|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Joyce?
(a) Early 20s.
(b) Late 40s.
(c) Early 30s.
(d) Early 40s.
2. What ship is taken over while Hamilton is ashore?
(a) The Duke of York.
(b) The Halifax.
(c) The Devon.
(d) The Fortune.
3. How old is Hamilton?
4. What does the Voice of Africa concede at the end of "Somewhere in England"?
(a) There are many successes in this life.
(b) Her children will not be coming home.
(c) Her children are coming home soon.
(d) Life has been good.
5. Who is the man that knew Captain Hamilton's father and had done business with him?
(a) Mr. Davey.
(b) Matthew Arthur.
(c) John Pierce.
(d) Mr. Ellis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form is "Crossing the River" written in?
2. What do a lot of slaves and crew members succumb to?
3. Who is the first crew member to die?
4. When a ship is "almost slave," what does this mean?
5. What is Hamilton's nationality?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Captain Hamilton reconcile his Christian beliefs with his professional dealings in slavery?
2. Why is Len sent to prison?
3. Describe Joyce's marriage to Len.
4. What happens to Joyce's mother?
5. What journey does James Hamilton take?
6. What measures did Hamilton take to prevent a slave insurrection?
7. Why do villagers dislike Joyce?
8. What is the state of the supply of slaves when Hamilton is on the coast?
9. Describe Travis.
10. Describe Joyce's life in 1963.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)