|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Joyce's second husband?
(a) He dies in England.
(b) He dies in America.
(c) He leaves her for another woman.
(d) He dies in Italy.
2. What is the stateroom of the ship set up for?
(a) To use as a resting area.
(b) To use as a meeting room.
(c) To use as a shop.
(d) To use as a stateroom.
3. When a ship is "almost slave," what does this mean?
(a) The ship is almost ready to leave with a full cargo of slaves.
(b) The ship is owned by slaves.
(c) The ship is crewed by slaves.
(d) The ship is being taken over by slaves.
4. How is the brandy thief punished?
(a) He is given 12 lashes.
(b) He is thrown off the boat.
(c) He is chained.
(d) He is stoned.
5. Who does Joyce meet around September, 1942?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Duke of York headed to its destination?
2. What does Hamilton buy to discourage insurrection?
3. Who does Joyce marry?
4. What does Len announce when he comes home in December, 1943?
5. What does the Voice of Africa concede at the end of "Somewhere in England"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened during the tornado in "Crossing the River"?
2. What does Hamilton think of Ellis's ideas on his father's death?
3. Describe Mr. Ellis.
4. What does Ellis say concerning Hamilton's father's death?
5. Describe James Hamilton.
6. What happens to Sandra and why?
7. What is the state of the supply of slaves when Hamilton is on the coast?
8. Why doesn't Len get called up for the war?
9. On what condition does the Army allow Travis to marry Joyce?
10. What journey does James Hamilton take?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)