|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Joyce marry?
2. What does Sandra confess in March 1940?
(a) She has miscarried.
(b) She is pregnant from an extramarital affair.
(c) She does not love her husband.
(d) She is terminally ill.
3. How old is Joyce?
(a) Early 20s.
(b) Early 40s.
(c) Early 30s.
(d) Late 40s.
4. What does Hamilton buy to discourage insurrection?
(c) More cargo.
5. What ship does the skipper make the agreement with?
(a) The Halifax.
(b) The Devon.
(c) The Fortune.
(d) The Mercury.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joyce think of government warnings?
2. What happens to Joyce's mother?
3. Who overtakes the ship while Hamilton is ashore?
4. How old is Hamilton?
5. Where is the Duke of York headed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Len get called up for the war?
2. Why is Len sent to prison?
3. What is the state of the supply of slaves when Hamilton is on the coast?
4. What does Hamilton think of Ellis's ideas on his father's death?
5. How is "Crossing the River" written (in what format)?
6. Why do villagers dislike Joyce?
7. What measures did Hamilton take to prevent a slave insurrection?
8. What happens to Joyce and Travis's relationship?
9. Describe Mr. Ellis.
10. What is the state of Hamilton's cargo near the end of the log in "Crossing the River"?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)