|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joyce's first marriage end?
(a) Her husband has an affair and leaves her.
(b) She leaves her husband.
(c) Her husband dies.
(d) They split amicably and remain friends.
2. What does Hamilton worry about in regards to buying slaves?
(a) He is worried about his profit.
(b) He is worries about selling it later.
(c) He is worried about what his wife will think.
(d) He is worried about what do with the profit.
3. Who does Hamilton write to while he is on the ship?
(a) His new wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) Mr. Ellis.
(d) His father.
4. What happens to Joyce's mother?
(a) She survives a bombing.
(b) She dies of a stroke.
(c) She moves to London.
(d) She dies in a bombing.
5. Why does Joyce go to that place during Christmas, 1937?
(a) To find a job.
(b) To marry.
(c) To start a new life.
(d) To find her estranged boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Joyce's father?
2. What is Joyce's third husband's name?
3. When does Hamilton write the first letter to his wife during his journey?
4. What happens to Sandra in 1940?
5. What group arrives in the small village in "Somewhere in England"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joyce's mother.
2. How does Captain Hamilton reconcile his Christian beliefs with his professional dealings in slavery?
3. What journey does James Hamilton take?
4. Why doesn't Len get called up for the war?
5. Describe Mr. Ellis.
6. What does Hamilton think of Ellis's ideas on his father's death?
7. What is the state of the supply of slaves when Hamilton is on the coast?
8. What belief did Hamilton's father hold concerning Christianity and slavery?
9. Why doesn't Joyce's mother want her to marry?
10. What happens to Joyce and Travis's relationship?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)