|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Edward board his ship to find Nash?
(d) New York Harbor.
2. Where does "The Pagan Coast" take place?
(a) The American South and Africa.
(b) The American North and Europe.
(c) The American South and Europe.
(d) The American North and Africa.
3. Who buys Martha after her master dies?
(a) Mr. Hoffman.
(d) Mr. Randolph.
4. How do the Hoffmans intend to finance their travel?
(a) They intend to finance their travel by selling Martha.
(b) They intend to finance their travel by paying along the way.
(c) They intend to finance their travel by borrowing money.
(d) They intend to finance their travel by saving up the money through their farm.
5. Where is the plantation that Martha is a slave at with her family?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edward think of Nash's request for assistance?
2. Why is California such an appealing place to Martha? Choose the best answer.
3. What happens to Edward's wife?
4. Who does Martha fall in love with while in Kansas?
5. Why is California such an appealing place to many Americans during this time period?
Short Essay Questions
1. What group of people make up most of Martha's business while she is in Kansas?
2. Describe the plantation that Edward Williams owns.
3. What does Martha think happened to her daughter?
4. Briefly describe the journey that Edward Williams takes to find Nash.
5. Describe Leavenworth.
6. Describe the fight that Chester had with some fellow poker players.
7. Where does Nash Williams settle in his second year in Africa in "The Pagan Coast"?
8. What happens to most of the letters that Nash Williams writes to Edward Wiliams?
9. What happens to the relationship between Nash and his natural mother?
10. How did Chester acquire his home?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)