|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Martha at the end "West"?
(a) Martha finds her daughter.
(b) Martha finds her husband.
(c) Martha dies.
(d) Martha finds happiness in California.
2. Who does Edward entrust to give Nash some money?
(a) Mr. Grey.
3. Why is Edward no longer welcome to the American Colonization Society's clubhouse?
(a) He embarrasses some members.
(b) He does not pay the fees required to join their club.
(c) His reputation has followed him to Africa.
(d) He has offended them.
4. How many conversions to Christianity is Nash responsible for?
5. Who is the most successful missionary sent to Africa in this story?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nash Williams establish his settlement?
2. What does the American Colonization Society do?
3. Where does Edward board his ship to find Nash?
4. What is the name of Edward's wife?
5. Who inherits the plantation of Martha's master/owner when he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Madison Williams get emancipated?
2. What happens to the relationship between Nash and his natural mother?
3. Who is Edward Williams?
4. What did Edward dream that caused him much angst, and what does he interpret it as?
5. Describe Cleo Hoffman.
6. How does Martha come to run a restaurant in Dodge City?
7. Where did Nash Williams first settle in Africa, and what did he do there?
8. How did Chester acquire his home?
9. Describe Martha's friend, Lucy.
10. What spurs Edward Williams to go to Africa?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)