|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the main character of the story "West"?
(b) Martha Randolph.
(d) Eliza Mae.
2. What word best describes this kind of travel in that time period?
3. How do the Hoffmans intend to finance their travel?
(a) They intend to finance their travel by borrowing money.
(b) They intend to finance their travel by paying along the way.
(c) They intend to finance their travel by selling Martha.
(d) They intend to finance their travel by saving up the money through their farm.
4. How does Edward get to Monrovia from Sierra Leone?
(a) By boat.
(b) He never gets there.
(c) By post.
(d) By hiking.
5. What is the American Colonization Society?
(a) An African group.
(b) An abolitionist group.
(c) A democratic party.
(d) A missionary group.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Martha's boyfriend live?
2. Where does Martha start out earlier in life?
3. What Christian missionaries have been trying to steal Nash's converts?
4. What does the mysterious woman worry about at the end of "West"? Choose the best answer.
5. What is the name of Martha's friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plantation that Edward Williams owns.
2. How did Madison Williams get emancipated?
3. Describe the relation between Madison Williams and Edward Williams.
4. Describe the American Colonization Society.
5. What spurs Edward Williams to go to Africa?
6. Describe the mystery woman.
7. What illness has killed many slaves?
8. When and where was the last time Martha saw her husband and daughter?
9. Describe the fight that Chester had with some fellow poker players.
10. Do you think that the American Colonization Society sincerely believes in helping former slaves?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)