|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is California such an appealing place to many Americans during this time period?
(a) The climate is colder there.
(b) None of the above.
(c) There are many plantations that offer work.
(d) There are more new opportunities there.
2. What happens to Nash's first son and first wife?
(a) They die on the way to Africa.
(b) They survive the African Fever.
(c) They are murdered by white settlers.
(d) They die of the African Fever.
3. Where are the Hoffmans going?
(a) They are going to Virginia.
(b) They are going to Colorado.
(c) They are going to Kansas.
(d) They are going to California.
4. What time period did most of "West" take place in?
5. How many slave auctions does Martha go through in "West"?
(a) She goes through no slave auctions.
(b) She goes through one auction.
(c) She goes through five slave auctions.
(d) She goes through three auctions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Nash's school?
2. What is the name of Edward's wife?
3. Who does Edward contact in Africa?
4. What does Edward find out about Nash from Madison?
5. How does Martha endure the journey to California?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plantation that Edward Williams owns.
2. Where does Nash Williams settle in his second year in Africa in "The Pagan Coast"?
3. Do you think that the American Colonization Society sincerely believes in helping former slaves?
4. Describe the fight that Chester had with some fellow poker players.
5. Describe Leavenworth.
6. Describe Martha's friend, Lucy.
7. Who is Edward Williams?
8. In "West," who finds Martha in Denver, and what does this person do for her?
9. Describe Martha's boyfriend, Chester.
10. What spurs Edward Williams to go to Africa?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)