|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do most of Nash's students come from?
(a) From a Congo slaver.
(b) From America.
(c) From a Liberian slaver.
(d) From Europe.
2. Why does Martha's new owner/master decide to sell her?
(a) She disobeyed him.
(b) The owner's farm failed.
(c) The owner did not like her.
(d) She was not productive enough.
3. Why is Edward no longer welcome to the American Colonization Society's clubhouse?
(a) He has offended them.
(b) He embarrasses some members.
(c) He does not pay the fees required to join their club.
(d) His reputation has followed him to Africa.
4. How many slave auctions does Martha go through in "West"?
(a) She goes through three auctions.
(b) She goes through no slave auctions.
(c) She goes through five slave auctions.
(d) She goes through one auction.
5. What profession does the new owner of Martha's master's plantation have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Martha's friend go?
2. How many conversions to Christianity is Nash responsible for?
3. Where does Madison Williams reside?
4. Why are things difficult for Nash economically?
5. Where was Martha's husband sold?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "West," who finds Martha in Denver, and what does this person do for her?
2. What happens to Martha at the end of "West"?
3. Describe Martha's boyfriend, Chester.
4. Describe the plantation that Edward Williams owns.
5. What group of people make up most of Martha's business while she is in Kansas?
6. What does Martha think happened to her daughter?
7. What happens to most of the letters that Nash Williams writes to Edward Wiliams?
8. Where does Nash Williams settle in his second year in Africa in "The Pagan Coast"?
9. What illness has killed many slaves?
10. Who is Edward Williams?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)