|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that Edward boards to find Nash?
(a) The Mercury.
(b) The Duke of York.
(c) The Mayflower.
(d) The Sierra Leone.
2. Why is California such an appealing place to many Americans during this time period?
(a) There are many plantations that offer work.
(b) The climate is colder there.
(c) There are more new opportunities there.
(d) None of the above.
3. What is Martha's daughter's name?
(c) Eliza Mae.
4. What happens to Martha at the end "West"?
(a) Martha dies.
(b) Martha finds happiness in California.
(c) Martha finds her husband.
(d) Martha finds her daughter.
5. What is Madison Williams's occupation?
(a) He has no occupation.
(b) A trading business.
(d) He is a missionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nash's primary occupation circa 1840?
2. Why is California such an appealing place to Martha? Choose the best answer.
3. What happens six weeks into the journey to California?
4. How does Edward feel at the end of "The Pagan Coast"?
5. What does Nash request assistance from Edward for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Madison Williams get emancipated?
2. What illness has killed many slaves?
3. What happens to the relationship between Nash and his natural mother?
4. What group of people make up most of Martha's business while she is in Kansas?
5. In "West," who finds Martha in Denver, and what does this person do for her?
6. What spurs Edward Williams to go to Africa?
7. Describe Martha's boyfriend, Chester.
8. How does Martha pay for her passage to California?
9. Describe the relation between Madison Williams and Edward Williams.
10. What does Martha think happened to her daughter?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)