|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the Duke of York reach Sierra Leone?
(a) October 13th.
(b) October 1st.
(c) September 30th.
(d) November 13th.
2. How is the brandy thief punished?
(a) He is thrown off the boat.
(b) He is given 12 lashes.
(c) He is stoned.
(d) He is chained.
3. What does Hamilton worry about in regards to buying slaves?
(a) He is worried about his profit.
(b) He is worried about what his wife will think.
(c) He is worried about what do with the profit.
(d) He is worries about selling it later.
4. Who does Joyce meet around September, 1942?
5. When does Joyce marry for the first time?
(a) September, 1939.
(b) Christmas, 1936.
(c) September, 1940.
6. What does Hamilton buy to discourage insurrection?
(b) More cargo.
7. When does the Duke of York reach the Canary Islands?
(a) September 29th.
(b) May 1st.
(c) September 1st.
(d) August 29th.
8. What did the first crew member die of?
(b) He was killed.
9. What does Hamilton do with the three old women slaves that come aboard?
(a) He gives them to another ship.
(b) He orders them to be disposed of.
(c) He frees them.
(d) He sells them.
10. What ship does the skipper make the agreement with?
(a) The Devon.
(b) The Mercury.
(c) The Fortune.
(d) The Halifax.
11. Who does Joyce meet around 1939?
12. When did Joyce meet this person in London?
(a) Christmas, 1936.
(b) Christmas, 1938.
(c) Christmas, 1935.
(d) Christmas, 1940.
13. How old is Joyce?
(a) Late 40s.
(b) Early 40s.
(c) Early 30s.
(d) Early 20s.
14. What nationality is Joyce's second husband?
(b) White American.
(c) Black American.
15. What does the Voice of Africa say about Joyce?
(a) Joyce is one of her own.
(b) Joyce is the voice of Africa.
(c) Joyce will never be one of her own.
(d) Joyce failed her people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Joyce have when she is married?
2. Who dies in November 1940?
3. When does Hamilton write the first letter to his wife during his journey?
4. What ship is taken over while Hamilton is ashore?
5. How is Mr. Davey punished?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)