|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hamilton do as a result of the events of the tornado?
(a) He discharges his first mate to be the new captain of another ship.
(b) He steals the cargo of the other ship.
(c) He frees some slaves.
(d) He changes course.
2. Who is the first crew member to die?
(a) Matthew Arthur.
(b) John Pierce.
(c) Mr. Ellis.
(d) Mr. Davey.
3. Who is the master of the Duke of York?
(a) Captain Jackson.
(b) Mr. Ellis.
(c) Captain James Hamilton.
(d) Captain John Pierce.
4. How old is Joyce?
(a) Early 20s.
(b) Early 40s.
(c) Early 30s.
(d) Late 40s.
5. Who does Joyce meet around September, 1942?
6. What does Joyce think of government warnings?
(a) They are silly and transparent.
(b) They are to be taken seriously.
(c) She is neutral towards them.
(d) They are thoughtful and concerning.
7. What group arrives in the small village in "Somewhere in England"?
(a) White American soldiers.
(b) African slaves.
(c) African slave traders.
(d) Black American soldiers.
8. Who is Mr. Davey?
(a) The second mate.
(b) The first mate.
(c) The ship's boatswain.
(d) The captain.
9. What did the captain of the Fortune die of?
(a) A heart attack.
10. Who does Joyce marry in 1944?
11. Where does Joyce go in Christmas, 1937?
12. When does the Duke of York reach Sierra Leone?
(a) October 1st.
(b) September 30th.
(c) October 13th.
(d) November 13th.
13. What form is "Crossing the River" written in?
(a) A letter.
(b) A ship's log.
(c) A speech.
(d) A third person narrative.
14. What happens during the tornado?
(a) The captain of the Fortune dies.
(b) The captain of the Devon dies.
(c) The captain of the Mercury dies.
(d) The captain of the Halifax dies.
15. What group does Len join in 1940?
(a) The Navy.
(b) Local Defense Volunteers.
(c) The Army.
(d) The British Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man that knew Captain Hamilton's father and had done business with him?
2. What happens to Joyce's second husband?
3. What did Captain Hamilton find in the slaves' quarters?
4. Who does Joyce meet around 1939?
5. What profession does Joyce have when she is married?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)