|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the first crew member die of?
(a) He was killed.
2. What does Sandra confess in March 1940?
(a) She does not love her husband.
(b) She is terminally ill.
(c) She has miscarried.
(d) She is pregnant from an extramarital affair.
3. How many living children does Joyce have by the end of "Somewhere in England"?
4. How does Joyce's first marriage end?
(a) Her husband has an affair and leaves her.
(b) Her husband dies.
(c) She leaves her husband.
(d) They split amicably and remain friends.
5. What ship does the Duke of York pass when they arrive?
(a) The Halifax.
(b) The Devon.
(c) The Mercury.
(d) The Fortune.
6. What does the Voice of Africa concede at the end of "Somewhere in England"?
(a) Her children are coming home soon.
(b) There are many successes in this life.
(c) Her children will not be coming home.
(d) Life has been good.
7. Where does the Duke of York set sail from?
(c) New York Harbor.
(d) Liverpool, England.
8. What happens to Joyce's mother?
(a) She survives a bombing.
(b) She moves to London.
(c) She dies of a stroke.
(d) She dies in a bombing.
9. Who is caught stealing brandy?
(a) The captain.
(b) The second mate.
(c) The ship's cooper.
(d) The first mate.
10. Why does Joyce go to that place during Christmas, 1937?
(a) To marry.
(b) To find her estranged boyfriend.
(c) To start a new life.
(d) To find a job.
11. Where does Joyce go for her first honeymoon?
12. What form is "Crossing the River" written in?
(a) A third person narrative.
(b) A ship's log.
(c) A letter.
(d) A speech.
13. How does Hamilton spend his three months on the coast?
(a) He sells tobacco and other similar goods.
(b) He buys tobacco and other similar goods.
(c) He buys slaves.
(d) He spends time with his wife.
14. Who does Joyce become friends with around December, 1939?
15. What does Joyce think of government warnings?
(a) They are silly and transparent.
(b) They are thoughtful and concerning.
(c) She is neutral towards them.
(d) They are to be taken seriously.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the "cargo" being transported?
2. Who is the master of the Duke of York?
3. How old is Joyce?
4. Who does Hamilton write to while he is on the ship?
5. What does the Voice of Africa say about Joyce?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)