|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Duke of York headed to its destination?
(a) To drop off goods like tobacco and cotton.
(b) To pick up and transport slaves.
(c) To pick up goods like tobacco and cotton.
(d) To drop off slaves.
2. Where does Joyce go for her first honeymoon?
3. What profession does Joyce have when she is married?
(a) She works in a food warehouse.
(b) She is a clerk.
(c) She runs a store with her husband.
(d) She has no profession.
4. What does Len announce when he comes home in December, 1943?
(a) He is going to expand the shop.
(b) He is going to sell the shop.
(c) He is going to go to America.
(d) He is going to join the Army.
5. What is Joyce's third husband's name?
6. How does Joyce's mother treat Joyce?
(a) She is like a friend.
(b) She is open.
(c) She is strict.
(d) She is laid back.
7. How many living children does Joyce have by the end of "Somewhere in England"?
8. Where is the "cargo" being transported?
(a) The Americas.
9. When does the Duke of York set out?
(a) August, 1753.
(b) August, 1751.
(c) August, 1752.
(d) January, 1752.
10. When a ship is "almost slave," what does this mean?
(a) The ship is being taken over by slaves.
(b) The ship is owned by slaves.
(c) The ship is crewed by slaves.
(d) The ship is almost ready to leave with a full cargo of slaves.
11. Where does Joyce go in Christmas, 1937?
12. When does the Duke of York reach the Canary Islands?
(a) September 1st.
(b) August 29th.
(c) May 1st.
(d) September 29th.
13. Who overtakes the ship while Hamilton is ashore?
(a) The cargo of slaves on it.
(b) Captain Hamilton.
(c) The crewmembers on it.
(d) Another ship's crewmembers.
14. What does Hamilton do with the three old women slaves that come aboard?
(a) He sells them.
(b) He frees them.
(c) He orders them to be disposed of.
(d) He gives them to another ship.
15. What happens during the tornado?
(a) The captain of the Devon dies.
(b) The captain of the Fortune dies.
(c) The captain of the Halifax dies.
(d) The captain of the Mercury dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in April and May, 1937 in "Somewhere in England"?
2. What does the Voice of Africa concede at the end of "Somewhere in England"?
3. How did Hamilton acquire his ship?
4. What is Hamilton's nationality?
5. Who dies in November 1940?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)