|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the villagers complain about in "Somewhere in England"?
(a) The soldiers staying in a different village.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The soldiers staying in their village.
(d) Joyce's mother.
2. When does Joyce marry for the first time?
(a) Christmas, 1936.
(c) September, 1939.
(d) September, 1940.
3. What does Len announce when he comes home in December, 1943?
(a) He is going to go to America.
(b) He is going to sell the shop.
(c) He is going to expand the shop.
(d) He is going to join the Army.
4. Where does Joyce go in Christmas, 1937?
5. What happens during the tornado?
(a) The captain of the Halifax dies.
(b) The captain of the Mercury dies.
(c) The captain of the Devon dies.
(d) The captain of the Fortune dies.
6. How is Mr. Davey punished?
(a) He is put in chains.
(b) He is whipped.
(c) He is thrown off the boat.
(d) He is killed.
7. What happens to Joyce's mother?
(a) She survives a bombing.
(b) She moves to London.
(c) She dies of a stroke.
(d) She dies in a bombing.
8. Who overtakes the ship while Hamilton is ashore?
(a) Captain Hamilton.
(b) The cargo of slaves on it.
(c) Another ship's crewmembers.
(d) The crewmembers on it.
9. When does the Duke of York reach the Canary Islands?
(a) August 29th.
(b) September 1st.
(c) September 29th.
(d) May 1st.
10. What does Sandra confess in March 1940?
(a) She does not love her husband.
(b) She has miscarried.
(c) She is pregnant from an extramarital affair.
(d) She is terminally ill.
11. What does Hamilton do as a result of the events of the tornado?
(a) He frees some slaves.
(b) He changes course.
(c) He steals the cargo of the other ship.
(d) He discharges his first mate to be the new captain of another ship.
12. Where is the "cargo" being transported?
(d) The Americas.
13. When does the Duke of York reach Sierra Leone?
(a) October 13th.
(b) November 13th.
(c) October 1st.
(d) September 30th.
14. How many living children does Joyce have by the end of "Somewhere in England"?
15. Why does Joyce go to that place during Christmas, 1937?
(a) To find her estranged boyfriend.
(b) To marry.
(c) To find a job.
(d) To start a new life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in April and May, 1937 in "Somewhere in England"?
2. Why is Mr. Davey punished?
3. Who dies in November 1940?
4. When does "Somewhere in England" take place?
5. What does Joyce name her son?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)