|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Captain Hamilton shipping off to when his trading is done on the coast?
(c) The Americas.
2. How is the brandy thief punished?
(a) He is thrown off the boat.
(b) He is stoned.
(c) He is chained.
(d) He is given 12 lashes.
3. What group arrives in the small village in "Somewhere in England"?
(a) African slave traders.
(b) African slaves.
(c) Black American soldiers.
(d) White American soldiers.
4. What does Hamilton buy to discourage insurrection?
(a) More cargo.
5. Who does Joyce meet around 1939?
6. What ship does the Duke of York pass when they arrive?
(a) The Fortune.
(b) The Halifax.
(c) The Mercury.
(d) The Devon.
7. How does Joyce's mother treat Joyce?
(a) She is like a friend.
(b) She is strict.
(c) She is open.
(d) She is laid back.
8. Who does Joyce become friends with around December, 1939?
9. Who is the master of the Duke of York?
(a) Captain James Hamilton.
(b) Captain John Pierce.
(c) Captain Jackson.
(d) Mr. Ellis.
10. What do a lot of slaves and crew members succumb to?
(d) Malaria and dysentery.
11. How is Len punished for his illegal activity?
(a) He is executed.
(b) He pays a fine.
(c) He is whipped.
(d) He is sent to prison.
12. What happens to Joyce's second husband?
(a) He dies in England.
(b) He dies in America.
(c) He leaves her for another woman.
(d) He dies in Italy.
13. How many people make up the crew of the Duke of York?
14. How many living children does Joyce have by the end of "Somewhere in England"?
15. What did the first crew member die of?
(d) He was killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mr. Davey punished?
2. Where does Joyce go for her first honeymoon?
3. When does Joyce marry her second husband?
4. What happened to Joyce's father?
5. What is Hamilton's nationality?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)