|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes the furnishings in the best room in Elijah's house?
2. Which characteristic does the narrator notice first about Elijah?
3. What do the Bowdens do after dinner?
4. What does the narrator notice about Elijah's house?
5. What reason do the visitors give for not having seen as many older guests as they would have hoped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When first meeting Captain Littlepage at the beginning of Chapter 5, the narrator states: "...Mrs. Todd had told me one day that Captain Littlepage had overset his mind with too much reading; she had also made dark reference to his having 'spells' of some unexplainable nature." How did her conversation with him confirm or contradict this view? Support your claims with concrete examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
During her visit to Elijah's Tilley's home, the narrator says, "the old widower sat with his head bowed over his knitting, as if he were hastily shortening the very thread of time." How does this quote relate in general to Elijah and the novel's theme of impermanence?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various roles women in the novel take on.
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)