|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion prompts Joanna to take such drastic measures once the engagement is broken off?
2. Why does Mrs. Todd believe Mrs. Blackett won't be able to attend the event?
3. How do Elijah and the narrator part?
4. What emotion does Elijah awaken in the narrator?
5. What does the narrator stop to study on her walk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use the examples of Mrs. Todd and Elijah Tilley to illustrate the various types of love portrayed in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
During her visit to Elijah's Tilley's home, the narrator says, "the old widower sat with his head bowed over his knitting, as if he were hastily shortening the very thread of time." How does this quote relate in general to Elijah and the novel's theme of impermanence?
Essay Topic 3
Drawing on what the reader learns from Mrs. Todd's conversation with the narrator in the pennyroyal patch on Green Island, describe the complexity of Mrs. Todd's relationship to her late husband.
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)