|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Elijah and the narrator part?
2. How long does Joanna stay isolated?
3. Why is the narrator glad someone interrupts her at the beginning of Chapter 20?
4. What emotion does Elijah awaken in the narrator?
5. Which characteristic does the narrator notice first about Elijah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the herbs mentioned in the book help Mrs. Todd and the narrator in their understanding of the ways people work? Describe the similes used.
Essay Topic 2
What role does storytelling play in the novel? Please give specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
When first meeting Captain Littlepage at the beginning of Chapter 5, the narrator states: "...Mrs. Todd had told me one day that Captain Littlepage had overset his mind with too much reading; she had also made dark reference to his having 'spells' of some unexplainable nature." How did her conversation with him confirm or contradict this view? Support your claims with concrete examples from the book.
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)