|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gaffett and his companion do after going on land?
2. Why didn't Mrs. Todd marry her first love?
3. How would you characterize Mrs. Blackett's demeanor?
4. What does the narrator find impressive about the Captain's retelling of Gaffett's story?
5. What does Captain Littlepage say about the townspeople?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dunnet Landing.
2. How does the narrator feel about Mrs. Todd's reaction to her leaving? How can you tell?
3. Describe the narrator's relationship with Mrs. Todd.
4. Elijah Tilley's character provides a number of surprises for the narrator. What are they?
5. What does Mrs. Todd do within the community?
6. Describe Mrs. Todd's personal characteristics.
7. Describe the relationship between Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Fosdick.
8. What role do the furnishings in Elijah Tilley's house play in Chapter 20?
9. How does the narrator feel about Mrs. Blackett?
10. How does Captain Littlepage spend his time while shipwrecked near the North Pole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During her visit to Elijah's Tilley's home, the narrator says, "the old widower sat with his head bowed over his knitting, as if he were hastily shortening the very thread of time." How does this quote relate in general to Elijah and the novel's theme of impermanence?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the author uses the Bowden family reunion to illustrate the importance of family to the people of New England.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various roles women in the novel take on.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)