|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Mrs. Blackett?
2. When does the narrator need to have her writing project finished?
(a) Before the publisher comes to visit.
(b) By the time the publisher writes to request her manuscript.
(c) By the end of the season.
(d) By the end of the month.
3. Why didn't Mrs. Todd marry her first love?
(a) She met and married Mr. Todd
(b) His mother didn't approve.
(c) He fell in love with someone else.
(d) He died young.
4. What natural landscape influences life in the community?
(a) The mountains.
(b) The ocean.
(c) The forest.
(d) The lake.
5. What does the author compare knowing a village like Dunnet Landing to?
(a) A walk on a familiar forest path.
(b) Getting to know a friend better.
(c) Becoming acquainted with a single person.
(d) Coming home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator react to the Captain's story?
2. What do William and Mrs. Blackett do after supper?
3. Where do the narrator and Mrs. Todd find some time to chat?
4. How old is William?
5. What topic leads to the narrator's conversation with Captain Littlepage about life after death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Mrs. Todd's perspective on what the others have said about Sant Bowden.
2. Describe the contrast of changing moods that occurs on the journey to the Bowden family reunion.
3. Chapter 21 opens with a narrative that focuses on nature. Describe this narrative and its significance to the situation.
4. What does the narrator know about Captain Littlepage before he comes to visit her?
5. What change does the narrator observe in Mrs. Todd at the Bowden family reunion?
6. Describe Elijah's feelings for his late wife.
7. Describe William's relationship to the island.
8. How does Mrs. Todd characterize the man Joanna was going to marry?
9. What does Mrs. Todd say about Elijah and about fishermen in general at the end of Chapter 20?
10. Describe Mrs. Todd's personal characteristics.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)