|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the narrator and Mrs. Todd find some time to chat?
(a) In the tansy patch.
(b) In the garden.
(c) In a clearance overlooking the sea.
(d) In the pennyroyal patch.
2. How is Captain Littlepage dressed?
(d) Like an old sea captain.
3. What does the narrator remember Mrs. Todd saying about Captain Littlepage?
(a) He reads a lot.
(b) He is not married.
(c) He is crazy.
(d) He has a housekeeper.
4. How old does the Captain say he is?
(a) Over sixty.
(b) Over eighty.
(c) Over seventy.
(d) Over ninety.
5. What offer does William make the narrator?
(a) He offers to make her some chowder.
(b) He offers to take her for a carriage ride.
(c) He offers to show her the island.
(d) He offers to take her back to Dunnett Landing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator compare Mrs. Fosdick to when describing her visits to others?
2. What does the narrator miss as she is thinking about life in Dunnet Landing after the funeral procession?
3. What do William and Mrs. Blackett do after supper?
4. Where does the narrator go to write in Chapter 1?
5. Where did Gaffett say he had previously been shipwrecked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Gaffett does while shipwrecked off the coast of Greenland. Focus on his activities.
2. Describe the narrator's relationship with Mrs. Todd.
3. How does Mrs. Todd feel about Captain Littlepage? How can you tell?
4. How does Captain Littlepage spend his time while shipwrecked near the North Pole?
5. What do you conclude from Joanna's revelation that she committed "the ultimate sin" and her advice to Mrs. Todd that she love her new husband?
6. What drastic measures does Joanna take when her engagement is broken off?
7. Describe the connection Mrs. Todd draws between tansy and the human experience.
8. How does narrator feel about Captain Littlepage's story?
9. What is Mrs. Todd's reaction to the funeral?
10. Describe the way that the narrator's decision to write at the schoolhouse affects her relationship with Mrs. Todd.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)