|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Mrs. Todd marry her first love?
(a) He died young.
(b) His mother didn't approve.
(c) He fell in love with someone else.
(d) She met and married Mr. Todd
2. Why does Mrs. Todd say she wants to pick herbs on the island where Mrs. Blackett lives?
(a) So she can leave some with Mrs. Blackett.
(b) The herb she needs doesn't grow in Dunnett.
(c) The herb she needs grows best on the island.
(d) To pass the time while waiting for dinner.
3. Where does the narrator first stay during her visit?
(a) In a small, family-run hotel.
(b) In the schoolhouse.
(c) With Mrs. Begg.
(d) With Mrs. Todd.
4. Why does the Captain believe he knows "the truth" about life after death?
(a) His experiences while waiting for rescue from a shipwreck.
(b) He himself had a near-death experience.
(c) His religious experiences.
(d) He is a deeply religious man.
5. How do the people of Dunnet Landing feel about Mrs. Todd?
(a) The other community members respect her for her knowledge.
(b) The other community members see her as an outsider.
(c) The other community members find her to be loud and gossipy.
(d) The other community members come to her for advice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you characterize the relationship between Mrs. Todd and her mother?
2. Why does the narrator say she didn't "walk the rest" at the end of Chapter 4?
3. How does the town doctor feel about Mrs. Todd and her use of herbs?
4. What do William and Mrs. Blackett do after supper?
5. Under what pretense does the narrator leave Mrs. Blackett's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's impression of William?
2. Describe the evening when Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Fosdick visit the narrator and tell the story of Poor Joanna.
3. Why does the narrator decide to rent the schoolhouse?
4. Does Captain Littlepage believe Gaffett's story? How can you tell?
5. Explain what Gaffett does while shipwrecked off the coast of Greenland. Focus on his activities.
6. The novel uses a series of stories to describe life in this little town. Choose one of these stories told by the characters, paraphrase it briefly, and explain its significance.
7. Describe the contrast of changing moods that occurs on the journey to the Bowden family reunion.
8. Describe the narrator's first meeting with Elijah Tilley.
9. What is the narrator's first impression of Captain Littlepage when he arrives at the schoolhouse?
10. Describe William's relationship to the island.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)