|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under which pretense does Mrs. Todd come to the schoolhouse to visit the narrator?
(a) She needs some advice.
(b) She has an herbal mixture for the narrator.
(c) She is looking for plantains.
(d) She is looking for tansy.
2. What piece of information does Mrs. Todd reveal to the narrator?
(a) That she never loved her husband.
(b) That her husband never truly loved her.
(c) That she truly loved someone else.
(d) That she is in love with Captain Littlepage.
3. What does the Captain assert during the beginning of his conversation with the narrator in Chapter 5?
(a) That only good people will enjoy life after death.
(b) That everyone can find out before death if they want to.
(c) That no one can know the answer.
(d) That there must certainly be life after death.
4. What does the narrator do once she's left the house?
(a) She chats with Mrs. Todd.
(b) She goes out to explore the garden area.
(c) She takes the boat out.
(d) She goes out to explore the coastline.
5. Where do the narrator and Mrs. Todd find some time to chat?
(a) In the pennyroyal patch.
(b) In a clearance overlooking the sea.
(c) In the tansy patch.
(d) In the garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides her herbal remedies, what else is Mrs. Todd known for in Dunnet Landing?
2. What natural landscape influences life in the community?
3. What does the narrator say about Gaffett's experience?
4. Under what pretense does the narrator leave Mrs. Blackett's home?
5. How would you characterize the relationship between Mrs. Todd and her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way that the narrator's decision to write at the schoolhouse affects her relationship with Mrs. Todd.
2. What generational differences are revealed when the family reunion comes to an end?
3. How does Captain Littlepage spend his time while shipwrecked near the North Pole?
4. What does Gaffett believe about the townspeople he sees? Focus on his beliefs.
5. Describe the relationship between Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Fosdick.
6. Describe the narrator's relationship with Mrs. Todd.
7. Describe the connection Mrs. Todd draws between tansy and the human experience.
8. How does narrator feel about Captain Littlepage's story?
9. What cultural characteristics of the natives of this area are revealed during the Bowden family reunion?
10. During their visit to Mrs. Blackett's, Mrs. Todd and the narrator talk about love. What does Mrs. Todd's love story say about her character?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)