|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Captain's experience described in Chapter 5 take place?
(a) Near Greenland.
(b) Near the South Pole.
(c) Along the coast of Canada.
(d) Near the North Pole.
2. Who is Nathan?
(a) Mrs. Todd's deceased husband.
(b) Mrs. Blackett's deceased husband.
(c) Mrs. Todd's deceased brother.
(d) The narrator's brother.
3. What does the narrator say about Gaffett's experience?
(a) She says that too much time at sea can cause hallucinations.
(b) She asks if hunger could have caused him to see apparitions.
(c) She asks if Gaffett seemed like an honest man.
(d) She says the stress of the shipwreck could have caused him to see apparitions.
4. How has the funeral affected the Captain's mood in Chapter 5?
(a) He seems thoughtful.
(b) He seems melancholy.
(c) He seems fearful.
(d) He seems depressed.
5. What does the narrator say about Mrs. Todd's way of talking about Captain Littlepage?
(a) Mrs. Todd doesn't seem to like Captain Littlepage.
(b) Mrs. Todd seems to be in love with Captain Littlepage.
(c) The two seem to have a strained relationship.
(d) Mrs. Todd won't talk about Captain Littlepage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does tansy grow so well around the schoolhouse?
2. What does the narrator compare Captain Littlepage's gait to?
3. What does the narrator conclude based on Mrs. Todd's revelation?
4. What does the Captain assert during the beginning of his conversation with the narrator in Chapter 5?
5. How do others in the community feel about Mrs. Fosdick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's first meeting with Elijah Tilley.
2. Using all of the information given in the story, describe how the townspeople feel about Joanna.
3. What change does the narrator observe in Mrs. Todd at the Bowden family reunion?
4. Why does Captain Littlepage say he left the sea?
5. Explain Mrs. Todd's perspective on what the others have said about Sant Bowden.
6. Describe the scenery at the Bowden family's feast.
7. Describe the new impression the narrator gains of Captain Littlepage during his visit to the schoolhouse?
8. How does the narrator react to the funeral procession?
9. How does the narrator's relationship to Mrs. Todd change during their visit to Mrs. Blackett's?
10. Why does the narrator decide to rent the schoolhouse?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)