|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Todd do during her free time?
(a) She collects herbs for natural remedies.
(b) She collects herbs for cooking.
(c) She visits her friends.
(d) She takes care of her mother.
2. What offer does William make the narrator?
(a) He offers to make her some chowder.
(b) He offers to take her for a carriage ride.
(c) He offers to take her back to Dunnett Landing.
(d) He offers to show her the island.
3. How would you characterize the relationship between Mrs. Todd and her mother?
(a) Friendly and loving.
4. What does the narrator do once she's left the house?
(a) She goes out to explore the coastline.
(b) She goes out to explore the garden area.
(c) She takes the boat out.
(d) She chats with Mrs. Todd.
5. Who does the narrator compare Mrs. Fosdick to when describing her visits to others?
(a) A beggar.
(b) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) A nuisance.
(d) The Princess of Wales.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator react to the Captain's story?
2. What did Mrs. Begg dislike about life at Dunnet Landing?
3. How is Captain Littlepage dressed?
4. What happened when Gaffett and his companion left "the waiting place"?
5. Why does Mrs. Todd say she wants to pick herbs on the island where Mrs. Blackett lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. The novel uses a series of stories to describe life in this little town. Choose one of these stories told by the characters, paraphrase it briefly, and explain its significance.
2. Describe William's relationship to the island.
3. What does Mrs. Todd do within the community?
4. What does Elijah say about Mrs. Todd at the end of Chapter 20?
5. What is the narrator's impression of William?
6. What is the narrator's first impression of Captain Littlepage when he arrives at the schoolhouse?
7. What do you conclude from Joanna's revelation that she committed "the ultimate sin" and her advice to Mrs. Todd that she love her new husband?
8. Elijah Tilley's character provides a number of surprises for the narrator. What are they?
9. Describe the way the other guests treat Mrs. Blackett, and explain why you believe they act this way.
10. How does the narrator react to the funeral procession?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)