|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the plant Mrs. Todd mentioned thrive at the Bowden's?
(a) The climate isn't right.
(b) It doesn't get enough water.
(c) There isn't enough sunlight.
(d) The Bowdens don't take care of it.
2. What emotion does Elijah awaken in the narrator?
3. How does the narrator imagine Elijah bringing home the furnishings?
(a) In his boat.
(b) On a ship.
(c) With his wife.
(d) In a carriage.
4. What does the narrator say the idle lobster boats tied up at the shoreline seem to be doing at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) Waiting for work.
(b) Soaking in the sun.
(c) Taking an afternoon nap in the sun.
(d) Taking an afternoon bath.
5. When did the story of Joanna occur?
(a) When Mrs. Fosdick was a child.
(b) The previous summer.
(c) When Mrs. Todd was newly married.
(d) Several years ago.
6. How long does Joanna stay isolated?
(a) Until she dies.
(b) 10 years.
(c) Until she becomes ill.
(d) 5 years.
7. Why is the narrator glad someone interrupts her at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) She doesn't feel safe walking alone.
(b) She wants to talk about the Caplins.
(c) She feels somewhat lonely.
(d) She wants to talk about the Miranda.
8. What does Joanna reveal to Mrs. Todd?
(a) That she has committed the ultimate sin.
(b) That she has decided to return to Dunnet Landing.
(c) That she has decided to stay on the island.
(d) That she has fallen ill.
9. When does Elijah engage in his hobby?
(a) At night.
(b) During the off-season from fishing.
(c) During fishing season.
(d) In the mornings.
10. Where does Joanna go after the engagement is broken?
(a) To the forest.
(b) To a nearby island.
(c) To the seashore.
(d) To the church.
11. What ultimately happens to Joanna's ex-fiancé?
(a) He spends the rest of his life looking for Joanna.
(b) He falls ill.
(c) He spends the rest of his life in Dunnet Landing.
(d) He marries someone else.
12. With whom does Mrs. Todd go to visit Joanna in Chapter 13?
(a) The minister.
(b) The sea captain.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her husband.
13. What impresses the narrator upon arriving?
(a) The many carriages.
(b) The young men's gentlemanly manners.
(c) The size of the family.
(d) The size of the house.
14. On Shell-Heap Island, the narrator muses that each person has a place inside in which what is kept?
(a) Our greatest humiliations.
(b) Great regrets and great happiness.
(c) Our deepest emotions.
(d) Our greatest sorrows.
15. What positive characteristics do Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Caplin ascribe to Sant?
(a) A sharp mind.
(b) Athletic ability and critical discernment.
(c) Knowledge in financial matters.
(d) Military knowledge and strategic thinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one person Mrs. Todd doesn't want to see at the reunion?
2. Why does Mrs. Todd compare Sant Bowden to the sprig?
3. Which characteristic does the narrator notice first about Elijah?
4. What does the narrator stop to study on her walk?
5. How long has Elijah lived alone?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)