|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Joanna ask Mrs. Todd to return?
(a) In a year.
(b) In a month.
(c) The next day.
2. What time of year does Joanna's funeral occur?
3. What happens to Joanna's half of the family farm?
(a) Her brother takes it over.
(b) She loses it to her ex-fiancé.
(c) She gives it away.
(d) She sells it.
4. How does Mrs. Todd react to Joanna's revelation?
(a) She is worried.
(b) She doesn't know what Joanna means.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is frightened.
5. What does the narrator say the idle lobster boats tied up at the shoreline seem to be doing at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) Waiting for work.
(b) Taking an afternoon nap in the sun.
(c) Soaking in the sun.
(d) Taking an afternoon bath.
6. What does Elijah do during their conversation that surprises the narrator?
(a) He talks to her about fishing.
(b) He asks her to join him on a walk.
(c) He tells her about his wife.
(d) He invites her to his home.
7. What positive characteristics do Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Caplin ascribe to Sant?
(a) Athletic ability and critical discernment.
(b) Knowledge in financial matters.
(c) A sharp mind.
(d) Military knowledge and strategic thinking.
8. What does the narrator encounter on Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
(a) Joanna's old home, intact just as she left it.
(b) A lovely garden.
(c) The ruins of Joanna's home.
(d) A great collection of shells.
9. What happens to Mrs. Blackett upon arrival?
(a) The crowd of visitors ignores her.
(b) She is immediately whisked away by others.
(c) She injures herself stepping out of the carriage.
(d) She is asked to be the guest of honor.
10. What ultimately happens to Joanna's ex-fiancé?
(a) He spends the rest of his life in Dunnet Landing.
(b) He falls ill.
(c) He marries someone else.
(d) He spends the rest of his life looking for Joanna.
11. In talking to the narrator, what aspect of the event makes Mrs. Todd particularly emotional?
(a) Her nostalgia for better days.
(b) Her mother's place of honor in the parade.
(c) The beauty of the landscape.
(d) The way she is treated by the others.
12. Why doesn't Sant make the most of his potential?
(a) His illness.
(b) Lack of ambition.
(c) Financial reasons.
(d) His father's alcoholism.
13. What does Elijah do in honor of his wife?
(a) He vows never to remarry.
(b) He lives a solitary life alone in their house.
(c) He visits her grave daily.
(d) He cries when he talks about her.
14. What does Elijah do that causes him to shed a tear while talking to the narrator?
(a) He talks about how much he misses his wife.
(b) He talks about how painful her death was.
(c) He talks about the little details of being married.
(d) He talks about how much he misses fishing.
15. What emotion does Elijah awaken in the narrator?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator remark that the seamen's minds seem to be fixed on?
2. Where is the event held?
3. What does Elijah tell the narrator about his love interests?
4. Where is the narrator at the opening of Chapter 20?
5. How long does Joanna stay isolated?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)