|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion does Elijah awaken in the narrator?
2. How does the narrator imagine Elijah bringing home the furnishings?
(a) On a ship.
(b) With his wife.
(c) In a carriage.
(d) In his boat.
3. What reason do the visitors give for not having seen as many older guests as they would have hoped?
(a) Maybe there aren't as many older guests to come anymore.
(b) Maybe the older guests don't enjoy the reunions as much as they used to.
(c) Maybe the older guests are being replaced by the younger generation.
(d) Maybe the older guests can no longer make the long journey.
4. What happens at the last minute before Joanna's wedding?
(a) Her fiancé marries someone else.
(b) Her fiancé dies.
(c) Joanna dies.
(d) Her fiancé refuses to marry her.
5. What does Mrs. Blackett point out to the narrator as they make their way through the countryside?
(a) Her sister's home.
(b) Her husband's first home.
(c) Her childhood home.
(d) Her brother's home.
6. What occurs to the narrator as she is looking over the landscape on Shell-Heap Island?
(a) Joanna must have seen the island just this way.
(b) Captain Bowden has become a good friend.
(c) Joanna is much like her self.
(d) The landscape is lovelier than she expected.
7. What does Elijah tell the narrator about his love interests?
(a) He would like to remarry if he found the right companion.
(b) He has no interest in remarrying.
(c) He would like to meet someone new, but Dunnet Landing is too small.
(d) He has given up looking for someone new.
8. How can the mood be described as the narrator, Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Blackett make their way to the event?
9. What had others told Elijah would happen with time after his wife's passing?
(a) They said he would begin to forget her.
(b) They said the pain would continue forever.
(c) They said he would meet someone else.
(d) They said the pain would ease up.
10. Why is the narrator surprised by the invitation?
(a) She doesn't have anything to wear.
(b) She isn't a member of the family.
(c) The departure is so soon.
(d) She doesn't feel she belongs to the community.
11. Why doesn't the plant Mrs. Todd mentioned thrive at the Bowden's?
(a) It doesn't get enough water.
(b) The climate isn't right.
(c) There isn't enough sunlight.
(d) The Bowdens don't take care of it.
12. On Shell-Heap Island, the narrator muses that each person has a place inside in which what is kept?
(a) Our greatest sorrows.
(b) Our greatest humiliations.
(c) Our deepest emotions.
(d) Great regrets and great happiness.
13. To which annual event does Mrs. Todd invite the narrator?
(a) The annual Dunnet hike.
(b) The annual Dunnet sailing regatta.
(c) The Bowden family clam bake.
(d) The Bowden family reunion.
14. How does the narrator react to Joanna's story?
(a) She is saddened.
(b) She is disinterested.
(c) She is glad her own life is better than Joanna's.
(d) She is intrigued.
15. Who becomes nostalgic knowing that this event won't happen again for another year?
(a) Mrs. Blackett.
(b) Sarah Jane.
(c) The narrator.
(d) The younger guests.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah tell the narrator that he does every day?
2. Where is the narrator at the opening of Chapter 20?
3. Who does Joanna request make the trip to the island should she fall ill?
4. What do the Bowdens do after dinner?
5. What does the narrator notice about Elijah's house?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)