|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator notice about Elijah's house?
(a) Everything must be just the way his wife left it.
(b) He must have completely remodeled after his wife passed away.
(c) The furniture seems luxurious.
(d) The house seems befitting of a fisherman.
2. What impresses the narrator upon arriving?
(a) The size of the family.
(b) The size of the house.
(c) The many carriages.
(d) The young men's gentlemanly manners.
3. How do the townspeople react to Joanna?
(a) They sail by the island trying to catch a glimpse of her.
(b) They collect money and goods for her.
(c) They pray for her at church.
(d) They visit her regularly.
4. How does the narrator react to Joanna's story?
(a) She is disinterested.
(b) She is intrigued.
(c) She is glad her own life is better than Joanna's.
(d) She is saddened.
5. Which word best describes the furnishings in the best room in Elijah's house?
6. Why does Mrs. Todd compare Sant Bowden to the sprig?
(a) Sant has potential but is unable to thrive out of his element.
(b) Sant's environment is too harsh for him to thrive.
(c) Sant doesn't receive enough love and attention from others.
(d) The sprig could do better if it had more ambition.
7. What does Elijah tell the narrator about his love interests?
(a) He has given up looking for someone new.
(b) He has no interest in remarrying.
(c) He would like to remarry if he found the right companion.
(d) He would like to meet someone new, but Dunnet Landing is too small.
8. What does Joanna reveal to Mrs. Todd?
(a) That she has decided to return to Dunnet Landing.
(b) That she has committed the ultimate sin.
(c) That she has decided to stay on the island.
(d) That she has fallen ill.
9. Who does the narrator ask to take her to Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
(a) Mrs. Todd.
(b) Captain Bowden.
(c) Captain Littlepage.
10. What ultimately happens to Joanna's ex-fiancé?
(a) He spends the rest of his life in Dunnet Landing.
(b) He marries someone else.
(c) He falls ill.
(d) He spends the rest of his life looking for Joanna.
11. Who does Mrs. Todd begin talking about Sant Bowden with?
(a) Captain Bowden.
(b) Mrs. Caplin.
(d) Sarah Jane Blackett.
12. What emotion prompts Joanna to take such drastic measures once the engagement is broken off?
13. What happens to Mrs. Blackett upon arrival?
(a) She injures herself stepping out of the carriage.
(b) She is immediately whisked away by others.
(c) The crowd of visitors ignores her.
(d) She is asked to be the guest of honor.
14. Where is the narrator at the opening of Chapter 20?
(a) On the shore.
(b) At the schoolhouse.
(c) At Mrs. Todd's.
(d) At the wharf.
15. With whom does Mrs. Todd go to visit Joanna in Chapter 13?
(a) The minister.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The sea captain.
(d) Her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah do during their conversation that surprises the narrator?
2. When does Joanna ask Mrs. Todd to return?
3. What does Elijah do in honor of his wife?
4. To which annual event does Mrs. Todd invite the narrator?
5. Which characteristic does the narrator notice first about Elijah?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)