|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which characteristic does the narrator notice first about Elijah?
2. What does the narrator notice about Elijah's house?
(a) The house seems befitting of a fisherman.
(b) He must have completely remodeled after his wife passed away.
(c) The furniture seems luxurious.
(d) Everything must be just the way his wife left it.
3. What does Joanna reveal to Mrs. Todd?
(a) That she has decided to stay on the island.
(b) That she has committed the ultimate sin.
(c) That she has fallen ill.
(d) That she has decided to return to Dunnet Landing.
4. What occurs to the narrator as she is looking over the landscape on Shell-Heap Island?
(a) The landscape is lovelier than she expected.
(b) Joanna is much like her self.
(c) Joanna must have seen the island just this way.
(d) Captain Bowden has become a good friend.
5. How long has Elijah lived alone?
(a) Four years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Two years.
6. What happens to Mrs. Blackett upon arrival?
(a) She is asked to be the guest of honor.
(b) She is immediately whisked away by others.
(c) The crowd of visitors ignores her.
(d) She injures herself stepping out of the carriage.
7. Why doesn't the plant Mrs. Todd mentioned thrive at the Bowden's?
(a) There isn't enough sunlight.
(b) The climate isn't right.
(c) The Bowdens don't take care of it.
(d) It doesn't get enough water.
8. Where is the narrator at the opening of Chapter 20?
(a) At Mrs. Todd's.
(b) At the wharf.
(c) On the shore.
(d) At the schoolhouse.
9. What do the narrator, Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Blackett conclude is the only drawback to the day?
(a) That they couldn't stay longer.
(b) That Sarah Jane was there.
(c) That William did not attend.
(d) That there wasn't more singing.
10. When did the story of Joanna occur?
(a) Several years ago.
(b) When Mrs. Todd was newly married.
(c) The previous summer.
(d) When Mrs. Fosdick was a child.
11. How can the mood be described as the narrator, Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Blackett make their way to the event?
12. What does Elijah tell the narrator about his love interests?
(a) He would like to meet someone new, but Dunnet Landing is too small.
(b) He has given up looking for someone new.
(c) He would like to remarry if he found the right companion.
(d) He has no interest in remarrying.
13. What hobby of Elijah's surprises the narrator?
(a) He crochets.
(b) He knits.
(c) He cooks.
(d) He paints.
14. How does the narrator engage Elijah in conversation?
(a) She asks what he will be cooking for dinner.
(b) She asks to accompany him on a walk.
(c) She talks to him about about fishing.
(d) She asks him about his wife.
15. What does Elijah do for a living?
(a) He is a farmer.
(b) He is a sailor.
(c) He is a fisherman.
(d) He is a blacksmith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the idle lobster boats tied up at the shoreline seem to be doing at the beginning of Chapter 20?
2. How does the narrator react to Joanna's story?
3. What does Mrs. Blackett need in order to be ready for departure?
4. Who does the narrator ask to take her to Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
5. What impresses the narrator upon arriving?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)