|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator react to Joanna's story?
(a) She is saddened.
(b) She is glad her own life is better than Joanna's.
(c) She is disinterested.
(d) She is intrigued.
2. Why is the narrator glad someone interrupts her at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) She doesn't feel safe walking alone.
(b) She wants to talk about the Caplins.
(c) She wants to talk about the Miranda.
(d) She feels somewhat lonely.
3. How does the narrator engage Elijah in conversation?
(a) She asks him about his wife.
(b) She talks to him about about fishing.
(c) She asks to accompany him on a walk.
(d) She asks what he will be cooking for dinner.
4. What hobby of Elijah's surprises the narrator?
(a) He knits.
(b) He cooks.
(c) He paints.
(d) He crochets.
5. What does the narrator remark that the seamen's minds seem to be fixed on?
(d) The contrivances of man.
6. What name do Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Fosdick use when referring to Joanna?
(a) Poor Joanna.
(b) Silly Joanna.
(c) Dear Joanna.
(d) Sweet Joanna.
7. To which annual event does Mrs. Todd invite the narrator?
(a) The Bowden family clam bake.
(b) The annual Dunnet hike.
(c) The annual Dunnet sailing regatta.
(d) The Bowden family reunion.
8. What does Elijah do in honor of his wife?
(a) He visits her grave daily.
(b) He vows never to remarry.
(c) He cries when he talks about her.
(d) He lives a solitary life alone in their house.
9. When does Elijah engage in his hobby?
(a) At night.
(b) During fishing season.
(c) During the off-season from fishing.
(d) In the mornings.
10. What does Mrs. Blackett point out to the narrator as they make their way through the countryside?
(a) Her sister's home.
(b) Her childhood home.
(c) Her husband's first home.
(d) Her brother's home.
11. How does Mrs. Todd react to Joanna's revelation?
(a) She doesn't know what Joanna means.
(b) She is frightened.
(c) She is worried.
(d) She is angry.
12. What happens to Joanna's half of the family farm?
(a) She loses it to her ex-fiancé.
(b) She gives it away.
(c) She sells it.
(d) Her brother takes it over.
13. What does the narrator notice about Elijah's house?
(a) He must have completely remodeled after his wife passed away.
(b) Everything must be just the way his wife left it.
(c) The house seems befitting of a fisherman.
(d) The furniture seems luxurious.
14. What emotion does Elijah awaken in the narrator?
15. What positive characteristics do Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Caplin ascribe to Sant?
(a) Military knowledge and strategic thinking.
(b) A sharp mind.
(c) Athletic ability and critical discernment.
(d) Knowledge in financial matters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is going on as the narrator is on her walk?
2. In talking to the narrator, what aspect of the event makes Mrs. Todd particularly emotional?
3. What impresses the narrator upon arriving?
4. Why doesn't the plant Mrs. Todd mentioned thrive at the Bowden's?
5. What occurs to the narrator as she is looking over the landscape on Shell-Heap Island?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)