|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Joanna ask Mrs. Todd to return?
(a) The next day.
(b) In a month.
(c) In a year.
2. What punishment does Joanna inflict on herself?
(a) Endless work on the island.
(d) Isolation from others.
3. Where does Joanna go after the engagement is broken?
(a) To a nearby island.
(b) To the church.
(c) To the forest.
(d) To the seashore.
4. When did the story of Joanna occur?
(a) The previous summer.
(b) Several years ago.
(c) When Mrs. Todd was newly married.
(d) When Mrs. Fosdick was a child.
5. What had Mrs. Todd been doing prior to her evening visit with Mrs. Fosdick and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Making cough drops.
(b) Making spruce beer.
(c) Making syrup.
(d) Making herbal teas.
6. Who does Joanna request make the trip to the island should she fall ill?
(a) Mrs. Todd.
(b) The minister.
(c) The town doctor.
(d) Mrs. Blackett.
7. What positive characteristics do Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Caplin ascribe to Sant?
(a) A sharp mind.
(b) Knowledge in financial matters.
(c) Military knowledge and strategic thinking.
(d) Athletic ability and critical discernment.
8. How does Elijah refer to his late wife?
(a) Poor dear.
(b) My dear wife.
(c) Dear Sarah.
(d) Poor Sarah.
9. What does Elijah tell the narrator about his love interests?
(a) He would like to meet someone new, but Dunnet Landing is too small.
(b) He has no interest in remarrying.
(c) He has given up looking for someone new.
(d) He would like to remarry if he found the right companion.
10. What does the narrator notice about Elijah's house?
(a) He must have completely remodeled after his wife passed away.
(b) The furniture seems luxurious.
(c) Everything must be just the way his wife left it.
(d) The house seems befitting of a fisherman.
11. How do the townspeople react to Joanna?
(a) They visit her regularly.
(b) They collect money and goods for her.
(c) They sail by the island trying to catch a glimpse of her.
(d) They pray for her at church.
12. Where is Joanna buried?
(a) In the churchyard.
(b) At sea.
(c) On the island.
(d) In Dunnet Landing.
13. What had others told Elijah would happen with time after his wife's passing?
(a) They said he would begin to forget her.
(b) They said the pain would ease up.
(c) They said the pain would continue forever.
(d) They said he would meet someone else.
14. Which word best describes the furnishings in the best room in Elijah's house?
15. What does Elijah tell the narrator that he does every day?
(a) Clean his house.
(b) Go fishing.
(c) Visit his wife's grave.
(d) Grieve for his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator glad someone interrupts her at the beginning of Chapter 20?
2. Why is the narrator surprised by the invitation?
3. With whom does Mrs. Todd go to visit Joanna in Chapter 13?
4. Who brings Mrs. Blackett to Mrs. Todd's in time for departure?
5. What does Elijah do that causes him to shed a tear while talking to the narrator?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)