|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which annual event does Mrs. Todd invite the narrator?
(a) The Bowden family reunion.
(b) The annual Dunnet sailing regatta.
(c) The Bowden family clam bake.
(d) The annual Dunnet hike.
2. How long has Elijah lived alone?
(a) Two years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Eight years.
3. What had Mrs. Todd been doing prior to her evening visit with Mrs. Fosdick and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Making spruce beer.
(b) Making syrup.
(c) Making cough drops.
(d) Making herbal teas.
4. What does Mrs. Todd suggest they take for the trip?
(a) Some herbs.
(b) A carriage.
(c) A high wagon.
(d) A snack.
5. Why doesn't Sant make the most of his potential?
(a) His father's alcoholism.
(b) Financial reasons.
(c) His illness.
(d) Lack of ambition.
6. In talking to the narrator, what aspect of the event makes Mrs. Todd particularly emotional?
(a) The beauty of the landscape.
(b) Her mother's place of honor in the parade.
(c) The way she is treated by the others.
(d) Her nostalgia for better days.
7. Who becomes nostalgic knowing that this event won't happen again for another year?
(a) Mrs. Blackett.
(b) The narrator.
(c) Sarah Jane.
(d) The younger guests.
8. What name do Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Fosdick use when referring to Joanna?
(a) Silly Joanna.
(b) Sweet Joanna.
(c) Dear Joanna.
(d) Poor Joanna.
9. What does Elijah do in honor of his wife?
(a) He lives a solitary life alone in their house.
(b) He visits her grave daily.
(c) He cries when he talks about her.
(d) He vows never to remarry.
10. Where is Joanna buried?
(a) On the island.
(b) At sea.
(c) In Dunnet Landing.
(d) In the churchyard.
11. What does the narrator say the idle lobster boats tied up at the shoreline seem to be doing at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) Taking an afternoon bath.
(b) Waiting for work.
(c) Soaking in the sun.
(d) Taking an afternoon nap in the sun.
12. Where does Joanna go after the engagement is broken?
(a) To a nearby island.
(b) To the seashore.
(c) To the forest.
(d) To the church.
13. What impresses the narrator upon arriving?
(a) The size of the house.
(b) The young men's gentlemanly manners.
(c) The size of the family.
(d) The many carriages.
14. How long does Joanna stay isolated?
(a) Until she becomes ill.
(b) Until she dies.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 5 years.
15. What happens to Joanna's half of the family farm?
(a) She gives it away.
(b) She loses it to her ex-fiancé.
(c) She sells it.
(d) Her brother takes it over.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Joanna ask Mrs. Todd to return?
2. What had others told Elijah would happen with time after his wife's passing?
3. What do the Bowdens do after dinner?
4. Who brings Mrs. Blackett to Mrs. Todd's in time for departure?
5. What time of year does Joanna's funeral occur?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)