|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Elijah lived alone?
(a) Four years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Two years.
2. What does the narrator encounter on Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
(a) Joanna's old home, intact just as she left it.
(b) The ruins of Joanna's home.
(c) A great collection of shells.
(d) A lovely garden.
3. In talking to the narrator, what aspect of the event makes Mrs. Todd particularly emotional?
(a) The beauty of the landscape.
(b) The way she is treated by the others.
(c) Her mother's place of honor in the parade.
(d) Her nostalgia for better days.
4. What had others told Elijah would happen with time after his wife's passing?
(a) They said the pain would ease up.
(b) They said he would meet someone else.
(c) They said the pain would continue forever.
(d) They said he would begin to forget her.
5. What does Mrs. Blackett need in order to be ready for departure?
(a) A cup of tea.
(b) A glass of water.
(c) A jacket.
(d) An herbal mixture.
6. When did the story of Joanna occur?
(a) When Mrs. Todd was newly married.
(b) The previous summer.
(c) Several years ago.
(d) When Mrs. Fosdick was a child.
7. Why is the narrator glad someone interrupts her at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) She doesn't feel safe walking alone.
(b) She feels somewhat lonely.
(c) She wants to talk about the Miranda.
(d) She wants to talk about the Caplins.
8. What occurs to the narrator as she is looking over the landscape on Shell-Heap Island?
(a) Captain Bowden has become a good friend.
(b) Joanna is much like her self.
(c) The landscape is lovelier than she expected.
(d) Joanna must have seen the island just this way.
9. What specialty is revealed during the dessert course?
(a) A gingerbread model of Dunnet Landing.
(b) A gingerbread model of the Bowdens' homestead.
(c) A chocolate model of the Bowdens' garden.
(d) A chocolate cake made using the Bowdens' own recipe.
10. Where is the narrator at the opening of Chapter 20?
(a) On the shore.
(b) At the wharf.
(c) At Mrs. Todd's.
(d) At the schoolhouse.
11. Who does the narrator ask to take her to Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
(a) Captain Bowden.
(c) Mrs. Todd.
(d) Captain Littlepage.
12. Which word best describes the furnishings in the best room in Elijah's house?
13. What does Mrs. Blackett point out to the narrator as they make their way through the countryside?
(a) Her childhood home.
(b) Her husband's first home.
(c) Her brother's home.
(d) Her sister's home.
14. What name do Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Fosdick use when referring to Joanna?
(a) Sweet Joanna.
(b) Silly Joanna.
(c) Dear Joanna.
(d) Poor Joanna.
15. How does Elijah refer to his late wife?
(a) Dear Sarah.
(b) Poor dear.
(c) Poor Sarah.
(d) My dear wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Todd compare Sant Bowden to the sprig?
2. What does Elijah tell the narrator that he does every day?
3. What advice does Joanna give Mrs. Todd?
4. Who is the one person Mrs. Todd doesn't want to see at the reunion?
5. When does Elijah engage in his hobby?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)