|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator engage Elijah in conversation?
(a) She asks to accompany him on a walk.
(b) She talks to him about about fishing.
(c) She asks him about his wife.
(d) She asks what he will be cooking for dinner.
2. Where is the event held?
(a) North Country.
(b) Bowden Park.
(c) North County.
(d) Dunnet Hill.
3. What punishment does Joanna inflict on herself?
(b) Endless work on the island.
(c) Isolation from others.
4. What ultimately happens to Joanna's ex-fiancé?
(a) He spends the rest of his life looking for Joanna.
(b) He marries someone else.
(c) He spends the rest of his life in Dunnet Landing.
(d) He falls ill.
5. What does Elijah do during their conversation that surprises the narrator?
(a) He tells her about his wife.
(b) He talks to her about fishing.
(c) He invites her to his home.
(d) He asks her to join him on a walk.
6. What do the Bowdens do after dinner?
(a) Give speeches.
(b) Sing songs.
(c) Play horseshoes.
(d) Go for a walk.
7. How does the narrator react to Joanna's story?
(a) She is intrigued.
(b) She is saddened.
(c) She is glad her own life is better than Joanna's.
(d) She is disinterested.
8. Which word best describes the furnishings in the best room in Elijah's house?
9. Why is the narrator surprised by the invitation?
(a) The departure is so soon.
(b) She doesn't feel she belongs to the community.
(c) She doesn't have anything to wear.
(d) She isn't a member of the family.
10. What is going on as the narrator is on her walk?
(a) The people seem to be taking naps.
(b) Nothing, all is quiet.
(c) The fishermen are mending nets.
(d) The sheep are circling the schoolhouse.
11. How do the townspeople react to Joanna?
(a) They sail by the island trying to catch a glimpse of her.
(b) They visit her regularly.
(c) They pray for her at church.
(d) They collect money and goods for her.
12. What does Elijah do for a living?
(a) He is a farmer.
(b) He is a sailor.
(c) He is a blacksmith.
(d) He is a fisherman.
13. How does the narrator imagine Elijah bringing home the furnishings?
(a) In a carriage.
(b) With his wife.
(c) In his boat.
(d) On a ship.
14. What does the narrator encounter on Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
(a) The ruins of Joanna's home.
(b) A great collection of shells.
(c) Joanna's old home, intact just as she left it.
(d) A lovely garden.
15. What emotion prompts Joanna to take such drastic measures once the engagement is broken off?
Short Answer Questions
1. What impresses the narrator upon arriving?
2. How do Elijah and the narrator part?
3. On Shell-Heap Island, the narrator muses that each person has a place inside in which what is kept?
4. What time of year does Joanna's funeral occur?
5. When does Joanna ask Mrs. Todd to return?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)