|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Todd suggest they take for the trip?
(a) A carriage.
(b) Some herbs.
(c) A snack.
(d) A high wagon.
2. In talking to the narrator, what aspect of the event makes Mrs. Todd particularly emotional?
(a) The beauty of the landscape.
(b) Her nostalgia for better days.
(c) The way she is treated by the others.
(d) Her mother's place of honor in the parade.
3. What does Mrs. Blackett point out to the narrator as they make their way through the countryside?
(a) Her husband's first home.
(b) Her childhood home.
(c) Her brother's home.
(d) Her sister's home.
4. What impresses the narrator upon arriving?
(a) The young men's gentlemanly manners.
(b) The many carriages.
(c) The size of the house.
(d) The size of the family.
5. What had Mrs. Todd been doing prior to her evening visit with Mrs. Fosdick and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Making cough drops.
(b) Making syrup.
(c) Making spruce beer.
(d) Making herbal teas.
6. What does Elijah do for a living?
(a) He is a farmer.
(b) He is a blacksmith.
(c) He is a fisherman.
(d) He is a sailor.
7. What name do Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Fosdick use when referring to Joanna?
(a) Sweet Joanna.
(b) Poor Joanna.
(c) Dear Joanna.
(d) Silly Joanna.
8. What does the narrator remark that the seamen's minds seem to be fixed on?
(d) The contrivances of man.
9. What does Elijah do that causes him to shed a tear while talking to the narrator?
(a) He talks about how much he misses his wife.
(b) He talks about how much he misses fishing.
(c) He talks about the little details of being married.
(d) He talks about how painful her death was.
10. Where is the event held?
(a) North County.
(b) Dunnet Hill.
(c) Bowden Park.
(d) North Country.
11. What emotion does Elijah awaken in the narrator?
12. Why doesn't Sant make the most of his potential?
(a) Financial reasons.
(b) His father's alcoholism.
(c) Lack of ambition.
(d) His illness.
13. Which word best describes the furnishings in the best room in Elijah's house?
14. What does Mrs. Blackett need in order to be ready for departure?
(a) A jacket.
(b) A cup of tea.
(c) An herbal mixture.
(d) A glass of water.
15. Why does Mrs. Todd believe Mrs. Blackett won't be able to attend the event?
(a) She is not a part of the family.
(b) She did not arrive last evening.
(c) She has been ill.
(d) She wasn't invited to the event.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Joanna give Mrs. Todd?
2. What does Joanna reveal to Mrs. Todd?
3. How can the mood be described as the narrator, Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Blackett make their way to the event?
4. Who does the narrator ask to take her to Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
5. How does the narrator engage Elijah in conversation?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)