|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say the idle lobster boats tied up at the shoreline seem to be doing at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) Waiting for work.
(b) Taking an afternoon nap in the sun.
(c) Soaking in the sun.
(d) Taking an afternoon bath.
2. How long does Joanna stay isolated?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) Until she becomes ill.
(d) Until she dies.
3. What emotion prompts Joanna to take such drastic measures once the engagement is broken off?
4. Which characteristic does the narrator notice first about Elijah?
5. On Shell-Heap Island, the narrator muses that each person has a place inside in which what is kept?
(a) Our greatest sorrows.
(b) Our deepest emotions.
(c) Our greatest humiliations.
(d) Great regrets and great happiness.
6. To which annual event does Mrs. Todd invite the narrator?
(a) The Bowden family clam bake.
(b) The annual Dunnet sailing regatta.
(c) The annual Dunnet hike.
(d) The Bowden family reunion.
7. What punishment does Joanna inflict on herself?
(b) Isolation from others.
(d) Endless work on the island.
8. What reason do the visitors give for not having seen as many older guests as they would have hoped?
(a) Maybe there aren't as many older guests to come anymore.
(b) Maybe the older guests are being replaced by the younger generation.
(c) Maybe the older guests can no longer make the long journey.
(d) Maybe the older guests don't enjoy the reunions as much as they used to.
9. Who does Joanna request make the trip to the island should she fall ill?
(a) Mrs. Todd.
(b) The town doctor.
(c) Mrs. Blackett.
(d) The minister.
10. What impresses the narrator upon arriving?
(a) The young men's gentlemanly manners.
(b) The many carriages.
(c) The size of the house.
(d) The size of the family.
11. With whom does Mrs. Todd go to visit Joanna in Chapter 13?
(a) The sea captain.
(b) The minister.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her mother.
12. What happens to Joanna's half of the family farm?
(a) Her brother takes it over.
(b) She gives it away.
(c) She sells it.
(d) She loses it to her ex-fiancé.
13. Why doesn't the plant Mrs. Todd mentioned thrive at the Bowden's?
(a) There isn't enough sunlight.
(b) The Bowdens don't take care of it.
(c) The climate isn't right.
(d) It doesn't get enough water.
14. What had Mrs. Todd been doing prior to her evening visit with Mrs. Fosdick and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Making spruce beer.
(b) Making cough drops.
(c) Making herbal teas.
(d) Making syrup.
15. Why is the narrator surprised by the invitation?
(a) She isn't a member of the family.
(b) She doesn't have anything to wear.
(c) She doesn't feel she belongs to the community.
(d) The departure is so soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah tell the narrator that he does every day?
2. Where is Joanna buried?
3. How does Mrs. Todd react to Joanna's revelation?
4. How do Elijah and the narrator part?
5. Who brings Mrs. Blackett to Mrs. Todd's in time for departure?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)