|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion prompts Joanna to take such drastic measures once the engagement is broken off?
2. How can the mood be described as the narrator, Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Blackett make their way to the event?
3. What hobby of Elijah's surprises the narrator?
(a) He crochets.
(b) He cooks.
(c) He paints.
(d) He knits.
4. Why is the narrator surprised by the invitation?
(a) She doesn't have anything to wear.
(b) She isn't a member of the family.
(c) The departure is so soon.
(d) She doesn't feel she belongs to the community.
5. When did the story of Joanna occur?
(a) When Mrs. Fosdick was a child.
(b) Several years ago.
(c) When Mrs. Todd was newly married.
(d) The previous summer.
6. What happens to Joanna's half of the family farm?
(a) She gives it away.
(b) She sells it.
(c) Her brother takes it over.
(d) She loses it to her ex-fiancé.
7. On Shell-Heap Island, the narrator muses that each person has a place inside in which what is kept?
(a) Our deepest emotions.
(b) Great regrets and great happiness.
(c) Our greatest humiliations.
(d) Our greatest sorrows.
8. What does Elijah tell the narrator about his love interests?
(a) He would like to meet someone new, but Dunnet Landing is too small.
(b) He has no interest in remarrying.
(c) He has given up looking for someone new.
(d) He would like to remarry if he found the right companion.
9. What does the narrator remark that the seamen's minds seem to be fixed on?
(d) The contrivances of man.
10. When does Elijah engage in his hobby?
(a) During the off-season from fishing.
(b) At night.
(c) During fishing season.
(d) In the mornings.
11. What advice does Joanna give Mrs. Todd?
(a) That she should take better care of her mother.
(b) That she should divorce her husband.
(c) That she should move to the island.
(d) That she should love her husband.
12. What happens to Mrs. Blackett upon arrival?
(a) The crowd of visitors ignores her.
(b) She is asked to be the guest of honor.
(c) She injures herself stepping out of the carriage.
(d) She is immediately whisked away by others.
13. What occurs to the narrator as she is looking over the landscape on Shell-Heap Island?
(a) Captain Bowden has become a good friend.
(b) The landscape is lovelier than she expected.
(c) Joanna is much like her self.
(d) Joanna must have seen the island just this way.
14. Which characteristic does the narrator notice first about Elijah?
15. Who does Mrs. Todd begin talking about Sant Bowden with?
(a) Sarah Jane Blackett.
(c) Captain Bowden.
(d) Mrs. Caplin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the event held?
2. What positive characteristics do Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Caplin ascribe to Sant?
3. What does Elijah do in honor of his wife?
4. What does the narrator say the idle lobster boats tied up at the shoreline seem to be doing at the beginning of Chapter 20?
5. Who becomes nostalgic knowing that this event won't happen again for another year?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)