|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the story of Joanna occur?
(a) Several years ago.
(b) When Mrs. Fosdick was a child.
(c) The previous summer.
(d) When Mrs. Todd was newly married.
2. What is going on as the narrator is on her walk?
(a) The sheep are circling the schoolhouse.
(b) The people seem to be taking naps.
(c) The fishermen are mending nets.
(d) Nothing, all is quiet.
3. What do the narrator, Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Blackett conclude is the only drawback to the day?
(a) That Sarah Jane was there.
(b) That they couldn't stay longer.
(c) That there wasn't more singing.
(d) That William did not attend.
4. On Shell-Heap Island, the narrator muses that each person has a place inside in which what is kept?
(a) Our greatest sorrows.
(b) Our greatest humiliations.
(c) Our deepest emotions.
(d) Great regrets and great happiness.
5. How long has Elijah lived alone?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Eight years.
6. Why doesn't the plant Mrs. Todd mentioned thrive at the Bowden's?
(a) The climate isn't right.
(b) It doesn't get enough water.
(c) There isn't enough sunlight.
(d) The Bowdens don't take care of it.
7. What specialty is revealed during the dessert course?
(a) A gingerbread model of the Bowdens' homestead.
(b) A chocolate cake made using the Bowdens' own recipe.
(c) A gingerbread model of Dunnet Landing.
(d) A chocolate model of the Bowdens' garden.
8. What does the narrator say the idle lobster boats tied up at the shoreline seem to be doing at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) Soaking in the sun.
(b) Waiting for work.
(c) Taking an afternoon nap in the sun.
(d) Taking an afternoon bath.
9. What plant does Mrs. Todd mention that grows at the Bowden's?
10. Who brings Mrs. Blackett to Mrs. Todd's in time for departure?
(b) Captain Littlepage.
(c) The narrator.
(d) Captain Bowden.
11. What does Elijah do that causes him to shed a tear while talking to the narrator?
(a) He talks about how much he misses fishing.
(b) He talks about how painful her death was.
(c) He talks about the little details of being married.
(d) He talks about how much he misses his wife.
12. Where does Joanna go after the engagement is broken?
(a) To a nearby island.
(b) To the church.
(c) To the seashore.
(d) To the forest.
13. What does the narrator remark that the seamen's minds seem to be fixed on?
(a) The contrivances of man.
14. Where is the event held?
(a) North County.
(b) Dunnet Hill.
(c) Bowden Park.
(d) North Country.
15. What emotion does Elijah awaken in the narrator?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at the last minute before Joanna's wedding?
2. When does Joanna ask Mrs. Todd to return?
3. What does the narrator stop to study on her walk?
4. When does Elijah engage in his hobby?
5. What do the Bowdens do after dinner?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)