|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Joanna buried?
(a) At sea.
(b) In Dunnet Landing.
(c) In the churchyard.
(d) On the island.
2. What emotion does Elijah awaken in the narrator?
3. How do the townspeople react to Joanna?
(a) They visit her regularly.
(b) They collect money and goods for her.
(c) They pray for her at church.
(d) They sail by the island trying to catch a glimpse of her.
4. What does Elijah tell the narrator that he does every day?
(a) Go fishing.
(b) Clean his house.
(c) Visit his wife's grave.
(d) Grieve for his wife.
5. What does the narrator notice about Elijah's house?
(a) Everything must be just the way his wife left it.
(b) The house seems befitting of a fisherman.
(c) He must have completely remodeled after his wife passed away.
(d) The furniture seems luxurious.
6. What occurs to the narrator as she is looking over the landscape on Shell-Heap Island?
(a) The landscape is lovelier than she expected.
(b) Joanna must have seen the island just this way.
(c) Captain Bowden has become a good friend.
(d) Joanna is much like her self.
7. What ultimately happens to Joanna's ex-fiancé?
(a) He falls ill.
(b) He spends the rest of his life in Dunnet Landing.
(c) He spends the rest of his life looking for Joanna.
(d) He marries someone else.
8. What does the narrator stop to study on her walk?
(a) The lines and strength of the Miranda.
(b) The sound of the waves.
(c) The flight of the bird.
(d) The fishermen baiting trawls.
9. How does the narrator imagine Elijah bringing home the furnishings?
(a) With his wife.
(b) In his boat.
(c) In a carriage.
(d) On a ship.
10. What emotion prompts Joanna to take such drastic measures once the engagement is broken off?
11. Where is the event held?
(a) North Country.
(b) Bowden Park.
(c) North County.
(d) Dunnet Hill.
12. What does Elijah do for a living?
(a) He is a fisherman.
(b) He is a blacksmith.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a sailor.
13. What does Mrs. Blackett point out to the narrator as they make their way through the countryside?
(a) Her sister's home.
(b) Her childhood home.
(c) Her brother's home.
(d) Her husband's first home.
14. How does Elijah refer to his late wife?
(a) My dear wife.
(b) Poor Sarah.
(c) Poor dear.
(d) Dear Sarah.
15. What does the narrator encounter on Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
(a) The ruins of Joanna's home.
(b) Joanna's old home, intact just as she left it.
(c) A great collection of shells.
(d) A lovely garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which annual event does Mrs. Todd invite the narrator?
2. Why does Mrs. Todd compare Sant Bowden to the sprig?
3. What does Mrs. Todd suggest they take for the trip?
4. What had Mrs. Todd been doing prior to her evening visit with Mrs. Fosdick and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 13?
5. How does Mrs. Todd react to Joanna's revelation?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)