|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elijah tell the narrator about his love interests?
(a) He would like to meet someone new, but Dunnet Landing is too small.
(b) He has given up looking for someone new.
(c) He would like to remarry if he found the right companion.
(d) He has no interest in remarrying.
2. What advice does Joanna give Mrs. Todd?
(a) That she should love her husband.
(b) That she should take better care of her mother.
(c) That she should move to the island.
(d) That she should divorce her husband.
3. Why does Mrs. Todd believe Mrs. Blackett won't be able to attend the event?
(a) She wasn't invited to the event.
(b) She is not a part of the family.
(c) She did not arrive last evening.
(d) She has been ill.
4. When does Joanna ask Mrs. Todd to return?
(a) In a year.
(b) In a month.
(d) The next day.
5. What had Mrs. Todd been doing prior to her evening visit with Mrs. Fosdick and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Making cough drops.
(b) Making spruce beer.
(c) Making herbal teas.
(d) Making syrup.
6. What does the narrator encounter on Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
(a) A lovely garden.
(b) Joanna's old home, intact just as she left it.
(c) A great collection of shells.
(d) The ruins of Joanna's home.
7. What does Mrs. Todd suggest they take for the trip?
(a) A snack.
(b) A high wagon.
(c) A carriage.
(d) Some herbs.
8. What hobby of Elijah's surprises the narrator?
(a) He cooks.
(b) He paints.
(c) He knits.
(d) He crochets.
9. What does Elijah do for a living?
(a) He is a fisherman.
(b) He is a sailor.
(c) He is a blacksmith.
(d) He is a farmer.
10. What happens to Joanna's half of the family farm?
(a) She gives it away.
(b) She sells it.
(c) Her brother takes it over.
(d) She loses it to her ex-fiancé.
11. Where is Joanna buried?
(a) In Dunnet Landing.
(b) At sea.
(c) On the island.
(d) In the churchyard.
12. Where is the event held?
(a) Bowden Park.
(b) Dunnet Hill.
(c) North Country.
(d) North County.
13. When does Elijah engage in his hobby?
(a) At night.
(b) During the off-season from fishing.
(c) In the mornings.
(d) During fishing season.
14. How can the mood be described as the narrator, Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Blackett make their way to the event?
15. Why doesn't the plant Mrs. Todd mentioned thrive at the Bowden's?
(a) It doesn't get enough water.
(b) The climate isn't right.
(c) The Bowdens don't take care of it.
(d) There isn't enough sunlight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is going on as the narrator is on her walk?
2. Who is the one person Mrs. Todd doesn't want to see at the reunion?
3. How do Elijah and the narrator part?
4. What emotion prompts Joanna to take such drastic measures once the engagement is broken off?
5. What punishment does Joanna inflict on herself?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)