|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Joanna ask Mrs. Todd to return?
(a) In a month.
(b) The next day.
(d) In a year.
2. Who does Joanna request make the trip to the island should she fall ill?
(a) The minister.
(b) Mrs. Todd.
(c) The town doctor.
(d) Mrs. Blackett.
3. What does Elijah do in honor of his wife?
(a) He vows never to remarry.
(b) He cries when he talks about her.
(c) He lives a solitary life alone in their house.
(d) He visits her grave daily.
4. What does the narrator encounter on Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
(a) A lovely garden.
(b) A great collection of shells.
(c) The ruins of Joanna's home.
(d) Joanna's old home, intact just as she left it.
5. What do the Bowdens do after dinner?
(a) Sing songs.
(b) Give speeches.
(c) Go for a walk.
(d) Play horseshoes.
6. What ultimately happens to Joanna's ex-fiancé?
(a) He falls ill.
(b) He spends the rest of his life looking for Joanna.
(c) He spends the rest of his life in Dunnet Landing.
(d) He marries someone else.
7. Which characteristic does the narrator notice first about Elijah?
8. What emotion does Elijah awaken in the narrator?
9. How do Elijah and the narrator part?
(a) She asks if she may visit again.
(b) He asks if she would visit again.
(c) They agree not to meet again.
(d) They agree to meet in the village.
10. What does Elijah tell the narrator about his love interests?
(a) He would like to meet someone new, but Dunnet Landing is too small.
(b) He would like to remarry if he found the right companion.
(c) He has no interest in remarrying.
(d) He has given up looking for someone new.
11. How does the narrator imagine Elijah bringing home the furnishings?
(a) With his wife.
(b) In his boat.
(c) On a ship.
(d) In a carriage.
12. What time of year does Joanna's funeral occur?
13. What happens to Mrs. Blackett upon arrival?
(a) She is immediately whisked away by others.
(b) She is asked to be the guest of honor.
(c) The crowd of visitors ignores her.
(d) She injures herself stepping out of the carriage.
14. What impresses the narrator upon arriving?
(a) The size of the house.
(b) The young men's gentlemanly manners.
(c) The many carriages.
(d) The size of the family.
15. How does Mrs. Todd react to Joanna's revelation?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She doesn't know what Joanna means.
(c) She is frightened.
(d) She is worried.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion prompts Joanna to take such drastic measures once the engagement is broken off?
2. What advice does Joanna give Mrs. Todd?
3. Where does Joanna go after the engagement is broken?
4. Who is the one person Mrs. Todd doesn't want to see at the reunion?
5. When did the story of Joanna occur?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)