|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Elijah lived alone?
(a) Four years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Two years.
2. How can the mood be described as the narrator, Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Blackett make their way to the event?
3. How does the narrator react to Joanna's story?
(a) She is intrigued.
(b) She is glad her own life is better than Joanna's.
(c) She is saddened.
(d) She is disinterested.
4. Who is the one person Mrs. Todd doesn't want to see at the reunion?
(a) Sarah Jane Blackett.
(b) Captain Bowden.
(c) William Blackett.
(d) Sant Bowden.
5. When does Elijah engage in his hobby?
(a) At night.
(b) In the mornings.
(c) During fishing season.
(d) During the off-season from fishing.
6. What does Mrs. Blackett point out to the narrator as they make their way through the countryside?
(a) Her husband's first home.
(b) Her childhood home.
(c) Her sister's home.
(d) Her brother's home.
7. What does the narrator encounter on Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
(a) Joanna's old home, intact just as she left it.
(b) A great collection of shells.
(c) A lovely garden.
(d) The ruins of Joanna's home.
8. How do Elijah and the narrator part?
(a) They agree to meet in the village.
(b) She asks if she may visit again.
(c) He asks if she would visit again.
(d) They agree not to meet again.
9. What does Elijah do during their conversation that surprises the narrator?
(a) He invites her to his home.
(b) He asks her to join him on a walk.
(c) He talks to her about fishing.
(d) He tells her about his wife.
10. What had others told Elijah would happen with time after his wife's passing?
(a) They said he would meet someone else.
(b) They said the pain would ease up.
(c) They said the pain would continue forever.
(d) They said he would begin to forget her.
11. What impresses the narrator upon arriving?
(a) The young men's gentlemanly manners.
(b) The many carriages.
(c) The size of the family.
(d) The size of the house.
12. What advice does Joanna give Mrs. Todd?
(a) That she should love her husband.
(b) That she should move to the island.
(c) That she should take better care of her mother.
(d) That she should divorce her husband.
13. What punishment does Joanna inflict on herself?
(c) Endless work on the island.
(d) Isolation from others.
14. Which characteristic does the narrator notice first about Elijah?
15. What plant does Mrs. Todd mention that grows at the Bowden's?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Blackett need in order to be ready for departure?
2. Who brings Mrs. Blackett to Mrs. Todd's in time for departure?
3. What occurs to the narrator as she is looking over the landscape on Shell-Heap Island?
4. What hobby of Elijah's surprises the narrator?
5. Why does Mrs. Todd believe Mrs. Blackett won't be able to attend the event?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)