|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elijah do in honor of his wife?
(a) He lives a solitary life alone in their house.
(b) He cries when he talks about her.
(c) He visits her grave daily.
(d) He vows never to remarry.
2. What advice does Joanna give Mrs. Todd?
(a) That she should divorce her husband.
(b) That she should love her husband.
(c) That she should take better care of her mother.
(d) That she should move to the island.
3. What impresses the narrator upon arriving?
(a) The size of the house.
(b) The many carriages.
(c) The size of the family.
(d) The young men's gentlemanly manners.
4. When does Joanna ask Mrs. Todd to return?
(a) In a month.
(b) In a year.
(d) The next day.
5. Why is the narrator glad someone interrupts her at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) She doesn't feel safe walking alone.
(b) She feels somewhat lonely.
(c) She wants to talk about the Caplins.
(d) She wants to talk about the Miranda.
6. What does Elijah do during their conversation that surprises the narrator?
(a) He asks her to join him on a walk.
(b) He tells her about his wife.
(c) He talks to her about fishing.
(d) He invites her to his home.
7. Who does Mrs. Todd begin talking about Sant Bowden with?
(a) Mrs. Caplin.
(c) Captain Bowden.
(d) Sarah Jane Blackett.
8. How does the narrator react to Joanna's story?
(a) She is glad her own life is better than Joanna's.
(b) She is intrigued.
(c) She is disinterested.
(d) She is saddened.
9. What is going on as the narrator is on her walk?
(a) The people seem to be taking naps.
(b) The sheep are circling the schoolhouse.
(c) Nothing, all is quiet.
(d) The fishermen are mending nets.
10. When does Elijah engage in his hobby?
(a) During the off-season from fishing.
(b) During fishing season.
(c) In the mornings.
(d) At night.
11. Who brings Mrs. Blackett to Mrs. Todd's in time for departure?
(a) Captain Littlepage.
(b) Captain Bowden.
(d) The narrator.
12. What happens to Joanna's half of the family farm?
(a) She sells it.
(b) She loses it to her ex-fiancé.
(c) Her brother takes it over.
(d) She gives it away.
13. What time of year does Joanna's funeral occur?
14. How do Elijah and the narrator part?
(a) He asks if she would visit again.
(b) She asks if she may visit again.
(c) They agree not to meet again.
(d) They agree to meet in the village.
15. What positive characteristics do Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Caplin ascribe to Sant?
(a) Knowledge in financial matters.
(b) Athletic ability and critical discernment.
(c) A sharp mind.
(d) Military knowledge and strategic thinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plant does Mrs. Todd mention that grows at the Bowden's?
2. What does Elijah do that causes him to shed a tear while talking to the narrator?
3. How long has Elijah lived alone?
4. To which annual event does Mrs. Todd invite the narrator?
5. How does the narrator engage Elijah in conversation?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)