|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason do the visitors give for not having seen as many older guests as they would have hoped?
(a) Maybe there aren't as many older guests to come anymore.
(b) Maybe the older guests don't enjoy the reunions as much as they used to.
(c) Maybe the older guests can no longer make the long journey.
(d) Maybe the older guests are being replaced by the younger generation.
2. Why does Mrs. Todd believe Mrs. Blackett won't be able to attend the event?
(a) She is not a part of the family.
(b) She wasn't invited to the event.
(c) She did not arrive last evening.
(d) She has been ill.
3. What hobby of Elijah's surprises the narrator?
(a) He crochets.
(b) He knits.
(c) He paints.
(d) He cooks.
4. What plant does Mrs. Todd mention that grows at the Bowden's?
5. When did the story of Joanna occur?
(a) When Mrs. Todd was newly married.
(b) Several years ago.
(c) The previous summer.
(d) When Mrs. Fosdick was a child.
6. What happens to Mrs. Blackett upon arrival?
(a) She is asked to be the guest of honor.
(b) She is immediately whisked away by others.
(c) The crowd of visitors ignores her.
(d) She injures herself stepping out of the carriage.
7. How long does Joanna stay isolated?
(a) 5 years.
(b) Until she dies.
(c) Until she becomes ill.
(d) 10 years.
8. Who becomes nostalgic knowing that this event won't happen again for another year?
(a) Sarah Jane.
(b) The narrator.
(c) The younger guests.
(d) Mrs. Blackett.
9. Why doesn't the plant Mrs. Todd mentioned thrive at the Bowden's?
(a) The climate isn't right.
(b) The Bowdens don't take care of it.
(c) There isn't enough sunlight.
(d) It doesn't get enough water.
10. What does Mrs. Blackett point out to the narrator as they make their way through the countryside?
(a) Her husband's first home.
(b) Her childhood home.
(c) Her brother's home.
(d) Her sister's home.
11. When does Joanna ask Mrs. Todd to return?
(a) In a year.
(c) The next day.
(d) In a month.
12. What do the Bowdens do after dinner?
(a) Play horseshoes.
(b) Give speeches.
(c) Sing songs.
(d) Go for a walk.
13. Who does Joanna request make the trip to the island should she fall ill?
(a) The minister.
(b) Mrs. Todd.
(c) The town doctor.
(d) Mrs. Blackett.
14. What emotion prompts Joanna to take such drastic measures once the engagement is broken off?
15. What time of year does Joanna's funeral occur?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator encounter on Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
2. How do Elijah and the narrator part?
3. What happens at the last minute before Joanna's wedding?
4. What does the narrator notice about Elijah's house?
5. When does Elijah engage in his hobby?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)