|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion prompts Joanna to take such drastic measures once the engagement is broken off?
2. What does Joanna reveal to Mrs. Todd?
(a) That she has fallen ill.
(b) That she has decided to return to Dunnet Landing.
(c) That she has decided to stay on the island.
(d) That she has committed the ultimate sin.
3. Why doesn't the plant Mrs. Todd mentioned thrive at the Bowden's?
(a) The Bowdens don't take care of it.
(b) It doesn't get enough water.
(c) The climate isn't right.
(d) There isn't enough sunlight.
4. What does Elijah do during their conversation that surprises the narrator?
(a) He asks her to join him on a walk.
(b) He tells her about his wife.
(c) He talks to her about fishing.
(d) He invites her to his home.
5. What specialty is revealed during the dessert course?
(a) A gingerbread model of the Bowdens' homestead.
(b) A chocolate cake made using the Bowdens' own recipe.
(c) A chocolate model of the Bowdens' garden.
(d) A gingerbread model of Dunnet Landing.
6. Where is the event held?
(a) Dunnet Hill.
(b) North County.
(c) Bowden Park.
(d) North Country.
7. What do the narrator, Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Blackett conclude is the only drawback to the day?
(a) That they couldn't stay longer.
(b) That William did not attend.
(c) That there wasn't more singing.
(d) That Sarah Jane was there.
8. When does Joanna ask Mrs. Todd to return?
(a) The next day.
(c) In a month.
(d) In a year.
9. Which word best describes the furnishings in the best room in Elijah's house?
10. How long does Joanna stay isolated?
(a) 10 years.
(b) Until she becomes ill.
(c) 5 years.
(d) Until she dies.
11. What plant does Mrs. Todd mention that grows at the Bowden's?
12. Who is the one person Mrs. Todd doesn't want to see at the reunion?
(a) Sant Bowden.
(b) Sarah Jane Blackett.
(c) Captain Bowden.
(d) William Blackett.
13. Why is the narrator surprised by the invitation?
(a) The departure is so soon.
(b) She isn't a member of the family.
(c) She doesn't feel she belongs to the community.
(d) She doesn't have anything to wear.
14. What do the Bowdens do after dinner?
(a) Sing songs.
(b) Go for a walk.
(c) Play horseshoes.
(d) Give speeches.
15. Who does Mrs. Todd begin talking about Sant Bowden with?
(a) Mrs. Caplin.
(b) Sarah Jane Blackett.
(d) Captain Bowden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Blackett point out to the narrator as they make their way through the countryside?
2. What does Mrs. Todd suggest they take for the trip?
3. What occurs to the narrator as she is looking over the landscape on Shell-Heap Island?
4. Why doesn't Sant make the most of his potential?
5. What does the narrator say the idle lobster boats tied up at the shoreline seem to be doing at the beginning of Chapter 20?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)