|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elijah tell the narrator about his love interests?
(a) He would like to meet someone new, but Dunnet Landing is too small.
(b) He has no interest in remarrying.
(c) He has given up looking for someone new.
(d) He would like to remarry if he found the right companion.
2. What does the narrator notice about Elijah's house?
(a) The house seems befitting of a fisherman.
(b) The furniture seems luxurious.
(c) He must have completely remodeled after his wife passed away.
(d) Everything must be just the way his wife left it.
3. Who brings Mrs. Blackett to Mrs. Todd's in time for departure?
(a) The narrator.
(b) Captain Littlepage.
(d) Captain Bowden.
4. What do the Bowdens do after dinner?
(a) Give speeches.
(b) Go for a walk.
(c) Play horseshoes.
(d) Sing songs.
5. What does the narrator remark that the seamen's minds seem to be fixed on?
(d) The contrivances of man.
6. What hobby of Elijah's surprises the narrator?
(a) He knits.
(b) He paints.
(c) He cooks.
(d) He crochets.
7. In talking to the narrator, what aspect of the event makes Mrs. Todd particularly emotional?
(a) The beauty of the landscape.
(b) The way she is treated by the others.
(c) Her nostalgia for better days.
(d) Her mother's place of honor in the parade.
8. What specialty is revealed during the dessert course?
(a) A chocolate cake made using the Bowdens' own recipe.
(b) A chocolate model of the Bowdens' garden.
(c) A gingerbread model of the Bowdens' homestead.
(d) A gingerbread model of Dunnet Landing.
9. Where is Joanna buried?
(a) On the island.
(b) At sea.
(c) In Dunnet Landing.
(d) In the churchyard.
10. Why doesn't Sant make the most of his potential?
(a) Lack of ambition.
(b) His father's alcoholism.
(c) His illness.
(d) Financial reasons.
11. What reason do the visitors give for not having seen as many older guests as they would have hoped?
(a) Maybe there aren't as many older guests to come anymore.
(b) Maybe the older guests can no longer make the long journey.
(c) Maybe the older guests don't enjoy the reunions as much as they used to.
(d) Maybe the older guests are being replaced by the younger generation.
12. How does Elijah refer to his late wife?
(a) Poor Sarah.
(b) Dear Sarah.
(c) My dear wife.
(d) Poor dear.
13. What happens at the last minute before Joanna's wedding?
(a) Her fiancé dies.
(b) Joanna dies.
(c) Her fiancé refuses to marry her.
(d) Her fiancé marries someone else.
14. What does Mrs. Todd suggest they take for the trip?
(a) A snack.
(b) A carriage.
(c) A high wagon.
(d) Some herbs.
15. How do the townspeople react to Joanna?
(a) They pray for her at church.
(b) They visit her regularly.
(c) They collect money and goods for her.
(d) They sail by the island trying to catch a glimpse of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Elijah engage in his hobby?
2. What does Mrs. Blackett need in order to be ready for departure?
3. How can the mood be described as the narrator, Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Blackett make their way to the event?
4. What does Elijah do during their conversation that surprises the narrator?
5. Where is the narrator at the opening of Chapter 20?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)