|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about Mrs. Fosdick once she meets her?
(a) She likes her.
(b) She doesn't like her.
(c) Mrs. Fosdick reminds her of her mother.
(d) She thinks she talks too much.
2. According to the narrator's quote, what does Darwin say about sea captains?
(a) They are greater than kings.
(b) They are second only to schoolmasters.
(c) They are the lowliest of men.
(d) They are the toughest of men.
3. Where does the narrator go to write in Chapter 1?
(a) The park.
(b) The schoolhouse.
(c) A cottage in the village.
(d) The beach.
4. What offer does William make the narrator?
(a) He offers to make her some chowder.
(b) He offers to take her back to Dunnett Landing.
(c) He offers to take her for a carriage ride.
(d) He offers to show her the island.
5. What connection does Mrs. Todd see between the tansy in the schoolyard and people?
(a) Like tansy, people can overcome a harsh past to make the most of their lives.
(b) Like tansy, people can only thrive with others of their kind around them.
(c) Like tansy, people gather their strength during the spring and then blossom fully in the summer.
(d) Like tansy, people can thrive almost anywhere.
6. Who is Nathan?
(a) Mrs. Blackett's deceased husband.
(b) Mrs. Todd's deceased brother.
(c) Mrs. Todd's deceased husband.
(d) The narrator's brother.
7. Why does the narrator choose a new place to write?
(a) She finds she is spending too much time with her new friends.
(b) She doesn't like greeting guests.
(c) There are too many distractions.
(d) Others find her presence distracting.
8. What does the Captain assert during the beginning of his conversation with the narrator in Chapter 5?
(a) That only good people will enjoy life after death.
(b) That everyone can find out before death if they want to.
(c) That there must certainly be life after death.
(d) That no one can know the answer.
9. What did Gaffett and his companion discover after sailing away from the shipwreck?
(a) An island.
(b) A town.
(c) More suvivors.
(d) The ship's cargo.
10. What do William and Mrs. Blackett do after supper?
(a) Sing a few songs.
(b) Go for a walk.
(c) Make dessert.
(d) Take a carriage ride.
11. What time of year does the story take place?
12. What happened when Gaffett and his companion left "the waiting place"?
(a) The townspeople seemed to taunt them.
(b) The coastline disappeared.
(c) They worried that they would freeze.
(d) The animals watched as they moved out of sight.
13. Why does the narrator come to visit Maine?
(a) For a long vacation.
(b) To write about the area.
(c) To visit friends.
(d) To work on a writing project.
14. Besides Captain Littlepage, who else knows of Gaffett's story?
(a) Just Gaffett.
(b) Just the other survivors of Littlepage's shipwreck.
(c) Just the other survivors of Gaffett's shipwreck.
(d) No one - Gaffett himself is long since dead.
15. Why didn't Mrs. Todd marry her first love?
(a) She met and married Mr. Todd
(b) His mother didn't approve.
(c) He fell in love with someone else.
(d) He died young.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Littlepage react to the narrator's comments?
2. What did the Captain do while waiting in Chapter 5?
3. Why does the Captain believe he knows "the truth" about life after death?
4. What made the narrator choose Dunnet Landing for her visit?
5. What does Mrs. Todd need to get while visiting Mrs. Blackett?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)