|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides Captain Littlepage, who else knows of Gaffett's story?
(a) Just the other survivors of Gaffett's shipwreck.
(b) Just the other survivors of Littlepage's shipwreck.
(c) No one - Gaffett himself is long since dead.
(d) Just Gaffett.
2. How do others in the community feel about Mrs. Fosdick?
(a) They dislike her.
(b) They feel that she visits too often.
(c) They wish she would visit more often.
(d) They value her company.
3. What does the narrator find impressive about the Captain's retelling of Gaffett's story?
(a) His skepticism.
(b) His bright eyes and vigor in storytelling.
(c) His sense of nostalgia.
(d) His attention to detail.
4. What does the narrator notice about Captain Littlepage's reputation in Dunnet Landing?
(a) He is friends with everyone.
(b) He is like the father of the community.
(c) He is an outsider.
(d) He is well-respected.
5. Why does the Captain believe he knows "the truth" about life after death?
(a) He himself had a near-death experience.
(b) He is a deeply religious man.
(c) His religious experiences.
(d) His experiences while waiting for rescue from a shipwreck.
6. Under which pretense does Mrs. Todd come to the schoolhouse to visit the narrator?
(a) She is looking for plantains.
(b) She is looking for tansy.
(c) She needs some advice.
(d) She has an herbal mixture for the narrator.
7. Where does Mrs. Blackett live?
(a) On Brown Street.
(b) On Green Street.
(c) On Brown Island.
(d) On Green Island.
8. Why didn't Mrs. Todd marry her first love?
(a) She met and married Mr. Todd
(b) He fell in love with someone else.
(c) He died young.
(d) His mother didn't approve.
9. How do the people of Dunnet Landing feel about Mrs. Todd?
(a) The other community members see her as an outsider.
(b) The other community members find her to be loud and gossipy.
(c) The other community members come to her for advice.
(d) The other community members respect her for her knowledge.
10. When does the narrator need to have her writing project finished?
(a) Before the publisher comes to visit.
(b) By the time the publisher writes to request her manuscript.
(c) By the end of the month.
(d) By the end of the season.
11. What conclusion about the Captain's beliefs can be drawn from his conversation with the narrator?
(a) He believes that seafaring is dangerous.
(b) He tends not to believe in life after death.
(c) He believes that sailors cannot be trusted.
(d) He tends to believe in life after death.
12. How does Mrs. Todd react to the funeral procession?
(a) She is durable and strong enough to withstand the emotional strain.
(b) She is genuinely grief-stricken.
(c) She tries her best to comfort others.
(d) She looks to others for comfort.
13. Why does the narrator say she didn't "walk the rest" at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) She doesn't know the townspeople in the procession.
(b) She is too busy with her work.
(c) She doesn't know who the procession is for.
(d) She realizes that she is not a member of the community.
14. Where did the Captain's experience described in Chapter 5 take place?
(a) Along the coast of Canada.
(b) Near the South Pole.
(c) Near the North Pole.
(d) Near Greenland.
15. What happened when Gaffett and his companion left "the waiting place"?
(a) The townspeople seemed to taunt them.
(b) They worried that they would freeze.
(c) The animals watched as they moved out of sight.
(d) The coastline disappeared.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Captain assert during the beginning of his conversation with the narrator in Chapter 5?
2. Who is Mrs. Blackett?
3. How does Captain Littlepage react to the narrator's comments?
4. How old is Mrs. Blackett?
5. Who does the narrator say comes and goes past the schoolhouse window?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)