|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Nathan?
(a) The narrator's brother.
(b) Mrs. Blackett's deceased husband.
(c) Mrs. Todd's deceased brother.
(d) Mrs. Todd's deceased husband.
2. What happened when Gaffett and his companion went on land?
(a) The animals were too dangerous.
(b) They built a camp.
(c) It was too cold to survive.
(d) The town seemed to disappear.
3. How old is Mrs. Blackett?
4. Where did Gaffett say he had previously been shipwrecked?
(b) Near Scotland.
(c) Off the coast of Greenland.
5. How does Mrs. Todd react to the funeral procession?
(a) She looks to others for comfort.
(b) She is genuinely grief-stricken.
(c) She tries her best to comfort others.
(d) She is durable and strong enough to withstand the emotional strain.
6. What was the cause of the Captain's experience?
(a) Bad weather.
(b) Too much alcohol.
(c) Poor help from the crew.
7. What does Mrs. Todd do during her free time?
(a) She collects herbs for natural remedies.
(b) She visits her friends.
(c) She takes care of her mother.
(d) She collects herbs for cooking.
8. What does Captain Littlepage say about the townspeople?
(a) They have been good friends.
(b) They think they know everything.
(c) They lead simple lives.
(d) They are good people.
9. What did Gaffett and his companion do after going on land?
(a) They sent rescuers to the site of the shipwreck.
(b) They went to the pub.
(c) They looked for supplies.
(d) They retrieved their boat and left.
10. Who does the narrator compare Mrs. Fosdick to when describing her visits to others?
(a) A nuisance.
(b) A beggar.
(c) Queen Elizabeth.
(d) The Princess of Wales.
11. How does the town doctor feel about Mrs. Todd and her use of herbs?
(a) He hopes he can cure some of the cases worsened her herbal remedies.
(b) He thinks her belief in the usefulness of herbs is foolish.
(c) He feels that the two are rivals.
(d) The two are on the best of terms.
12. What conclusion did Gaffett draw from his experience?
(a) Luck is the only thing that can keep you alive.
(b) You can only trust yourself.
(c) The people were ghosts waiting for passage to another life.
(d) The people were hermits.
13. Besides her herbal remedies, what else is Mrs. Todd known for in Dunnet Landing?
(a) Her iced tea.
(b) Her lemonade.
(c) Her spruce beer.
(d) Her pine ale.
14. How would you characterize William's demeanor?
15. What offer does William make the narrator?
(a) He offers to show her the island.
(b) He offers to take her for a carriage ride.
(c) He offers to make her some chowder.
(d) He offers to take her back to Dunnett Landing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do once she's left the house?
2. What does the narrator remember Mrs. Todd saying about Captain Littlepage?
3. What does Mrs. Todd need to get while visiting Mrs. Blackett?
4. What did Gaffett and his companion discover after sailing away from the shipwreck?
5. Where do the narrator and Mrs. Todd find some time to chat?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)