|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator say she didn't "walk the rest" at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) She realizes that she is not a member of the community.
(b) She doesn't know who the procession is for.
(c) She is too busy with her work.
(d) She doesn't know the townspeople in the procession.
2. Besides Captain Littlepage, who else knows of Gaffett's story?
(a) Just Gaffett.
(b) Just the other survivors of Gaffett's shipwreck.
(c) Just the other survivors of Littlepage's shipwreck.
(d) No one - Gaffett himself is long since dead.
3. Where does the narrator first stay during her visit?
(a) In the schoolhouse.
(b) With Mrs. Begg.
(c) With Mrs. Todd.
(d) In a small, family-run hotel.
4. What does Captain Littlepage say about the townspeople?
(a) They are good people.
(b) They have been good friends.
(c) They think they know everything.
(d) They lead simple lives.
5. Why did the Captain leave his position as Commander?
(a) He lived through a frightening ordeal after a shipwreck.
(b) He was disabled.
(c) He wanted to spend more time with his family.
(d) He wanted to spend more time in Dunnet Landing.
6. How does Mrs. Todd react to the funeral procession?
(a) She tries her best to comfort others.
(b) She is durable and strong enough to withstand the emotional strain.
(c) She is genuinely grief-stricken.
(d) She looks to others for comfort.
7. What does the narrator do once she's left the house?
(a) She goes out to explore the coastline.
(b) She takes the boat out.
(c) She goes out to explore the garden area.
(d) She chats with Mrs. Todd.
8. According to the narrator's quote, what does Darwin say about sea captains?
(a) They are greater than kings.
(b) They are the lowliest of men.
(c) They are the toughest of men.
(d) They are second only to schoolmasters.
9. What does Mrs. Todd need to get while visiting Mrs. Blackett?
10. What happened when Gaffett and his companion went on land?
(a) They built a camp.
(b) The animals were too dangerous.
(c) It was too cold to survive.
(d) The town seemed to disappear.
11. How does the narrator feel about Mrs. Fosdick once she meets her?
(a) Mrs. Fosdick reminds her of her mother.
(b) She likes her.
(c) She thinks she talks too much.
(d) She doesn't like her.
12. What natural landscape influences life in the community?
(a) The lake.
(b) The forest.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The mountains.
13. What was the cause of the Captain's experience?
(b) Too much alcohol.
(c) Bad weather.
(d) Poor help from the crew.
14. What made the narrator choose Dunnet Landing for her visit?
(a) Its closeness to the ocean.
(b) The friendly people.
(c) Its sense of neighborhood and the pleasant cottages.
(d) The peacefulness of the little village.
15. Who is Mrs. Blackett?
(a) A friend of Mrs. Todd's.
(b) Mrs. Todd's aunt.
(c) Mrs. Todd's mother-in-law.
(d) Mrs. Todd's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does the Captain say he is?
2. What did Gaffett and his companion discover after sailing away from the shipwreck?
3. What topic leads to the narrator's conversation with Captain Littlepage about life after death?
4. What does the narrator miss as she is thinking about life in Dunnet Landing after the funeral procession?
5. How does Captain Littlepage react to the narrator's comments?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)