|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator compare Mrs. Fosdick to when describing her visits to others?
(a) A nuisance.
(b) The Princess of Wales.
(c) A beggar.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
2. Besides her herbal remedies, what else is Mrs. Todd known for in Dunnet Landing?
(a) Her lemonade.
(b) Her iced tea.
(c) Her spruce beer.
(d) Her pine ale.
3. What did Gaffett and his companion do after going on land?
(a) They looked for supplies.
(b) They went to the pub.
(c) They sent rescuers to the site of the shipwreck.
(d) They retrieved their boat and left.
4. Why does the Captain believe he knows "the truth" about life after death?
(a) He is a deeply religious man.
(b) His experiences while waiting for rescue from a shipwreck.
(c) His religious experiences.
(d) He himself had a near-death experience.
5. How is Captain Littlepage dressed?
(c) Like an old sea captain.
6. What does the narrator remember Mrs. Todd saying about Captain Littlepage?
(a) He has a housekeeper.
(b) He is not married.
(c) He reads a lot.
(d) He is crazy.
7. Who is William?
(a) Mrs. Todd's brother.
(b) Mrs. Todd's brother-in-law.
(c) Mrs. Blackett's brother-in-law.
(d) Mrs. Blackett's brother.
8. Where does the narrator go to write in Chapter 1?
(a) A cottage in the village.
(b) The schoolhouse.
(c) The park.
(d) The beach.
9. What time of year does the story take place?
10. Who is Mrs. Blackett?
(a) Mrs. Todd's mother.
(b) A friend of Mrs. Todd's.
(c) Mrs. Todd's mother-in-law.
(d) Mrs. Todd's aunt.
11. What does Captain Littlepage say about the townspeople?
(a) They lead simple lives.
(b) They think they know everything.
(c) They have been good friends.
(d) They are good people.
12. According to the narrator's quote, what does Darwin say about sea captains?
(a) They are the toughest of men.
(b) They are second only to schoolmasters.
(c) They are the lowliest of men.
(d) They are greater than kings.
13. What does the narrator conclude based on Mrs. Todd's revelation?
(a) That love cannot last.
(b) That Mrs. Todd must have been very loyal to her husband.
(c) That love is not necessary for a marriage to work.
(d) That the two must be friends now.
14. What does Mrs. Todd do during her free time?
(a) She takes care of her mother.
(b) She collects herbs for natural remedies.
(c) She collects herbs for cooking.
(d) She visits her friends.
15. What does the narrator say about Mrs. Todd's way of talking about Captain Littlepage?
(a) Mrs. Todd seems to be in love with Captain Littlepage.
(b) The two seem to have a strained relationship.
(c) Mrs. Todd doesn't seem to like Captain Littlepage.
(d) Mrs. Todd won't talk about Captain Littlepage.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you characterize Mrs. Blackett's demeanor?
2. How does Captain Littlepage react to the narrator's comments?
3. How do the people of Dunnet Landing feel about Mrs. Todd?
4. How old is Mrs. Blackett?
5. What offer does William make the narrator?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)