|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Blackett?
(a) Mrs. Todd's mother.
(b) A friend of Mrs. Todd's.
(c) Mrs. Todd's mother-in-law.
(d) Mrs. Todd's aunt.
2. How does Mrs. Todd react to the funeral procession?
(a) She looks to others for comfort.
(b) She is genuinely grief-stricken.
(c) She is durable and strong enough to withstand the emotional strain.
(d) She tries her best to comfort others.
3. What did Gaffett and his companion do after going on land?
(a) They sent rescuers to the site of the shipwreck.
(b) They looked for supplies.
(c) They went to the pub.
(d) They retrieved their boat and left.
4. What does Captain Littlepage say about the townspeople?
(a) They have been good friends.
(b) They think they know everything.
(c) They lead simple lives.
(d) They are good people.
5. What conclusion about the narrator's beliefs can be drawn from her conversation with Captain Littlepage?
(a) She believes that the Captain is crazy.
(b) She tends not to believe in Gaffert's story.
(c) She believes that sailors cannot be trusted.
(d) She does not believe in life after death.
6. What does the author compare knowing a village like Dunnet Landing to?
(a) A walk on a familiar forest path.
(b) Coming home.
(c) Getting to know a friend better.
(d) Becoming acquainted with a single person.
7. How has the funeral affected the Captain's mood in Chapter 5?
(a) He seems melancholy.
(b) He seems depressed.
(c) He seems thoughtful.
(d) He seems fearful.
8. Why does tansy grow so well around the schoolhouse?
(a) The salty air near the ocean.
(b) The fertile soil.
(c) The children trampled it down during the spring.
(d) The spacious schoolyard.
9. How would you characterize William's demeanor?
10. How is Captain Littlepage dressed?
(c) Like an old sea captain.
11. Who is William?
(a) Mrs. Blackett's brother-in-law.
(b) Mrs. Blackett's brother.
(c) Mrs. Todd's brother.
(d) Mrs. Todd's brother-in-law.
12. What does the narrator notice about Captain Littlepage's reputation in Dunnet Landing?
(a) He is well-respected.
(b) He is an outsider.
(c) He is like the father of the community.
(d) He is friends with everyone.
13. Why does the Captain believe he knows "the truth" about life after death?
(a) He himself had a near-death experience.
(b) His experiences while waiting for rescue from a shipwreck.
(c) His religious experiences.
(d) He is a deeply religious man.
14. Why does the narrator come to visit Maine?
(a) To work on a writing project.
(b) For a long vacation.
(c) To visit friends.
(d) To write about the area.
15. What did the Captain do while waiting in Chapter 5?
(a) Spent time talking to other survivors.
(b) Tried to reach rescuers.
(c) Looked for help.
(d) Looked for food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Blackett live?
2. How old is Mrs. Blackett?
3. What does Mrs. Todd say she needs after a difficult afternoon at the end of Chapter 7?
4. How old is William?
5. How does the narrator feel about Mrs. Fosdick once she meets her?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)