|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when Gaffett and his companion went on land?
(a) It was too cold to survive.
(b) The town seemed to disappear.
(c) They built a camp.
(d) The animals were too dangerous.
2. How would you characterize William's demeanor?
3. What conclusion did Gaffett draw from his experience?
(a) You can only trust yourself.
(b) The people were ghosts waiting for passage to another life.
(c) Luck is the only thing that can keep you alive.
(d) The people were hermits.
4. How old is William?
(a) In his fifties.
(b) In his sixties.
(c) In his eighties.
(d) In his seventies.
5. What does Mrs. Todd do during her free time?
(a) She visits her friends.
(b) She collects herbs for natural remedies.
(c) She takes care of her mother.
(d) She collects herbs for cooking.
6. How does the narrator react to the Captain's story?
(a) She believes that a man like the Captain can only tell the truth.
(b) She is skeptical.
(c) She has always believed in such things.
(d) She believes that the story is true.
7. Where does Mrs. Blackett live?
(a) On Brown Street.
(b) On Brown Island.
(c) On Green Island.
(d) On Green Street.
8. How does the narrator characterize Captain Littlepage's reaction to Gaffett's story?
(a) He believes that too much time at sea can affect your thinking.
(b) He believes that the story is true.
(c) He believes that Gaffett made the story up.
(d) He believes that sailing is dangerous.
9. Where did the Captain's experience described in Chapter 5 take place?
(a) Along the coast of Canada.
(b) Near the South Pole.
(c) Near the North Pole.
(d) Near Greenland.
10. What do William and Mrs. Blackett do after supper?
(a) Sing a few songs.
(b) Make dessert.
(c) Go for a walk.
(d) Take a carriage ride.
11. How do the people of Dunnet Landing feel about Mrs. Todd?
(a) The other community members come to her for advice.
(b) The other community members see her as an outsider.
(c) The other community members respect her for her knowledge.
(d) The other community members find her to be loud and gossipy.
12. What time of year does the story take place?
13. Who does the narrator compare Mrs. Fosdick to when describing her visits to others?
(a) A nuisance.
(b) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) The Princess of Wales.
(d) A beggar.
14. What conclusion about the Captain's beliefs can be drawn from his conversation with the narrator?
(a) He tends to believe in life after death.
(b) He tends not to believe in life after death.
(c) He believes that seafaring is dangerous.
(d) He believes that sailors cannot be trusted.
15. What was the cause of the Captain's experience?
(a) Poor help from the crew.
(b) Too much alcohol.
(d) Bad weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator first stay during her visit?
2. How has the funeral affected the Captain's mood in Chapter 5?
3. What did the Captain do while waiting in Chapter 5?
4. Besides her herbal remedies, what else is Mrs. Todd known for in Dunnet Landing?
5. How old does the Captain say he is?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)