|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What piece of information does Mrs. Todd reveal to the narrator?
(a) That she truly loved someone else.
(b) That she never loved her husband.
(c) That she is in love with Captain Littlepage.
(d) That her husband never truly loved her.
2. Which event does the author describe to help illustrate the community's sense of compassion in Chapter 4?
(a) A town meeting.
(b) A funeral procession.
(c) A wedding.
(d) The illness of one of the community members.
3. Who is the funeral procession for?
(a) Mrs. Todd.
(b) Mrs. Todd's mother.
(c) Mrs. Begg.
(d) Captain Littlepage.
4. What conclusion did Gaffett draw from his experience?
(a) The people were ghosts waiting for passage to another life.
(b) The people were hermits.
(c) You can only trust yourself.
(d) Luck is the only thing that can keep you alive.
5. What did the Captain do while waiting in Chapter 5?
(a) Tried to reach rescuers.
(b) Spent time talking to other survivors.
(c) Looked for food.
(d) Looked for help.
6. How does Captain Littlepage react to the narrator's comments?
(a) He is hurt that she doesn't believe him.
(b) He is surprised that has had similar experiences.
(c) He is glad she understands him.
(d) He firmly denies her explanation.
7. What does the narrator compare Captain Littlepage's gait to?
(a) A tortoise.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A grasshopper.
(d) A snail.
8. What does the author compare knowing a village like Dunnet Landing to?
(a) Getting to know a friend better.
(b) Becoming acquainted with a single person.
(c) Coming home.
(d) A walk on a familiar forest path.
9. How does the narrator react to the funeral procession?
(a) She feels sorry for the family members.
(b) She is irritated by the distraction from her writing.
(c) She thinks perhaps she should have joined the procession.
(d) She realizes that life is short and decides to live life to its fullest.
10. Where did Gaffett say he had previously been shipwrecked?
(b) Near Scotland.
(c) Off the coast of Greenland.
11. Why does the narrator come to visit Maine?
(a) To write about the area.
(b) To work on a writing project.
(c) For a long vacation.
(d) To visit friends.
12. What natural landscape influences life in the community?
(a) The mountains.
(b) The forest.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The lake.
13. How has the funeral affected the Captain's mood in Chapter 5?
(a) He seems fearful.
(b) He seems depressed.
(c) He seems thoughtful.
(d) He seems melancholy.
14. When does the narrator need to have her writing project finished?
(a) Before the publisher comes to visit.
(b) By the time the publisher writes to request her manuscript.
(c) By the end of the month.
(d) By the end of the season.
15. What does the narrator remember Mrs. Todd saying about Captain Littlepage?
(a) He is not married.
(b) He has a housekeeper.
(c) He reads a lot.
(d) He is crazy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you characterize the relationship between Mrs. Todd and her mother?
2. What does Mrs. Todd say she needs after a difficult afternoon at the end of Chapter 7?
3. What does the narrator say about Gaffett's experience?
4. How does Mrs. Todd react to the funeral procession?
5. What do William and Mrs. Blackett do after supper?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)