|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Todd do during her free time?
(a) She visits her friends.
(b) She takes care of her mother.
(c) She collects herbs for cooking.
(d) She collects herbs for natural remedies.
2. What does the Captain assert during the beginning of his conversation with the narrator in Chapter 5?
(a) That there must certainly be life after death.
(b) That only good people will enjoy life after death.
(c) That no one can know the answer.
(d) That everyone can find out before death if they want to.
3. What conclusion about the narrator's beliefs can be drawn from her conversation with Captain Littlepage?
(a) She believes that the Captain is crazy.
(b) She believes that sailors cannot be trusted.
(c) She does not believe in life after death.
(d) She tends not to believe in Gaffert's story.
4. What does the narrator say about Gaffett's experience?
(a) She asks if Gaffett seemed like an honest man.
(b) She says the stress of the shipwreck could have caused him to see apparitions.
(c) She asks if hunger could have caused him to see apparitions.
(d) She says that too much time at sea can cause hallucinations.
5. Where does the narrator first stay during her visit?
(a) With Mrs. Todd.
(b) In a small, family-run hotel.
(c) In the schoolhouse.
(d) With Mrs. Begg.
6. What did Gaffett and his companion do after going on land?
(a) They went to the pub.
(b) They looked for supplies.
(c) They sent rescuers to the site of the shipwreck.
(d) They retrieved their boat and left.
7. What natural landscape influences life in the community?
(a) The ocean.
(b) The forest.
(c) The mountains.
(d) The lake.
8. What does the narrator miss as she is thinking about life in Dunnet Landing after the funeral procession?
(a) Her family.
(b) News from her hometown.
(d) Foods from home.
9. How would you characterize Mrs. Blackett's demeanor?
10. Why does the narrator choose a new place to write?
(a) She finds she is spending too much time with her new friends.
(b) There are too many distractions.
(c) Others find her presence distracting.
(d) She doesn't like greeting guests.
11. Where does Mrs. Blackett live?
(a) On Green Street.
(b) On Brown Island.
(c) On Green Island.
(d) On Brown Street.
12. Besides Captain Littlepage, who else knows of Gaffett's story?
(a) No one - Gaffett himself is long since dead.
(b) Just the other survivors of Gaffett's shipwreck.
(c) Just the other survivors of Littlepage's shipwreck.
(d) Just Gaffett.
13. How would you characterize the relationship between Mrs. Todd and her mother?
(c) Friendly and loving.
14. How does the narrator react to the funeral procession?
(a) She is irritated by the distraction from her writing.
(b) She thinks perhaps she should have joined the procession.
(c) She realizes that life is short and decides to live life to its fullest.
(d) She feels sorry for the family members.
15. How old does the Captain say he is?
(a) Over ninety.
(b) Over sixty.
(c) Over seventy.
(d) Over eighty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Mrs. Todd marry her first love?
2. Where did the Captain's experience described in Chapter 5 take place?
3. How does the narrator characterize Captain Littlepage's reaction to Gaffett's story?
4. Who is William?
5. What does the narrator remember Mrs. Todd saying about Captain Littlepage?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)