|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say about Mrs. Todd's way of talking about Captain Littlepage?
(a) Mrs. Todd won't talk about Captain Littlepage.
(b) The two seem to have a strained relationship.
(c) Mrs. Todd seems to be in love with Captain Littlepage.
(d) Mrs. Todd doesn't seem to like Captain Littlepage.
2. What piece of information does Mrs. Todd reveal to the narrator?
(a) That she never loved her husband.
(b) That she truly loved someone else.
(c) That she is in love with Captain Littlepage.
(d) That her husband never truly loved her.
3. How do the people of Dunnet Landing feel about Mrs. Todd?
(a) The other community members find her to be loud and gossipy.
(b) The other community members respect her for her knowledge.
(c) The other community members come to her for advice.
(d) The other community members see her as an outsider.
4. Who is William?
(a) Mrs. Todd's brother.
(b) Mrs. Blackett's brother.
(c) Mrs. Blackett's brother-in-law.
(d) Mrs. Todd's brother-in-law.
5. Why didn't Mrs. Todd marry her first love?
(a) She met and married Mr. Todd
(b) His mother didn't approve.
(c) He fell in love with someone else.
(d) He died young.
6. Under what pretense does the narrator leave Mrs. Blackett's home?
(a) To find some herbs for Mrs. Todd.
(b) To dig carrots for the salad.
(c) To gather some flowers.
(d) To dig potatoes for chowder.
7. How does the town doctor feel about Mrs. Todd and her use of herbs?
(a) The two are on the best of terms.
(b) He thinks her belief in the usefulness of herbs is foolish.
(c) He feels that the two are rivals.
(d) He hopes he can cure some of the cases worsened her herbal remedies.
8. Who is the funeral procession for?
(a) Mrs. Todd.
(b) Mrs. Todd's mother.
(c) Mrs. Begg.
(d) Captain Littlepage.
9. Why does Mrs. Todd say she wants to pick herbs on the island where Mrs. Blackett lives?
(a) The herb she needs grows best on the island.
(b) So she can leave some with Mrs. Blackett.
(c) To pass the time while waiting for dinner.
(d) The herb she needs doesn't grow in Dunnett.
10. What does the Captain assert during the beginning of his conversation with the narrator in Chapter 5?
(a) That everyone can find out before death if they want to.
(b) That only good people will enjoy life after death.
(c) That no one can know the answer.
(d) That there must certainly be life after death.
11. How do others in the community feel about Mrs. Fosdick?
(a) They feel that she visits too often.
(b) They wish she would visit more often.
(c) They dislike her.
(d) They value her company.
12. Where does Mrs. Blackett live?
(a) On Brown Island.
(b) On Brown Street.
(c) On Green Street.
(d) On Green Island.
13. Besides Captain Littlepage, who else knows of Gaffett's story?
(a) Just Gaffett.
(b) Just the other survivors of Gaffett's shipwreck.
(c) No one - Gaffett himself is long since dead.
(d) Just the other survivors of Littlepage's shipwreck.
14. Who does the narrator say comes and goes past the schoolhouse window?
(a) The sheep.
(b) Captain Littlepage.
(c) Mrs. Todd's customers.
(d) Mrs. Todd.
15. How do the people of Dunnett Landing feel about having company?
(a) Visits with others are a necessary evil.
(b) Visits with others are a social requirement.
(c) Visits with others are the only valuable thing in life.
(d) Visits with others are a valued commodity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Blackett?
2. Why did the Captain leave his position as Commander?
3. How does Mrs. Blackett manage her advanced age?
4. Where did the Captain's experience described in Chapter 5 take place?
5. What distracts the narrator from her work later in the day after the funeral procession?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)