|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator remember Mrs. Todd saying about Captain Littlepage?
(a) He has a housekeeper.
(b) He is not married.
(c) He is crazy.
(d) He reads a lot.
2. Which event does the author describe to help illustrate the community's sense of compassion in Chapter 4?
(a) The illness of one of the community members.
(b) A town meeting.
(c) A funeral procession.
(d) A wedding.
3. Where does the narrator go to write in Chapter 1?
(a) The schoolhouse.
(b) The park.
(c) A cottage in the village.
(d) The beach.
4. What does the narrator find impressive about the Captain's retelling of Gaffett's story?
(a) His sense of nostalgia.
(b) His bright eyes and vigor in storytelling.
(c) His skepticism.
(d) His attention to detail.
5. Where did Gaffett say he had previously been shipwrecked?
(b) Near Scotland.
(c) Off the coast of Greenland.
6. Where do the narrator and Mrs. Todd find some time to chat?
(a) In the pennyroyal patch.
(b) In a clearance overlooking the sea.
(c) In the garden.
(d) In the tansy patch.
7. What happened when Gaffett and his companion left "the waiting place"?
(a) The townspeople seemed to taunt them.
(b) The animals watched as they moved out of sight.
(c) The coastline disappeared.
(d) They worried that they would freeze.
8. How do the people of Dunnett Landing feel about having company?
(a) Visits with others are a social requirement.
(b) Visits with others are a necessary evil.
(c) Visits with others are the only valuable thing in life.
(d) Visits with others are a valued commodity.
9. What conclusion did Gaffett draw from his experience?
(a) The people were ghosts waiting for passage to another life.
(b) Luck is the only thing that can keep you alive.
(c) You can only trust yourself.
(d) The people were hermits.
10. How does Mrs. Blackett manage her advanced age?
(a) She continues to live an active life.
(b) She worries that she is becoming senile.
(c) She has William to help her.
(d) She walks with a cane.
11. Who is Nathan?
(a) Mrs. Todd's deceased husband.
(b) The narrator's brother.
(c) Mrs. Blackett's deceased husband.
(d) Mrs. Todd's deceased brother.
12. Who does the narrator say comes and goes past the schoolhouse window?
(a) Mrs. Todd.
(b) Mrs. Todd's customers.
(c) Captain Littlepage.
(d) The sheep.
13. What does Captain Littlepage say about the townspeople?
(a) They have been good friends.
(b) They lead simple lives.
(c) They think they know everything.
(d) They are good people.
14. How old does the Captain say he is?
(a) Over seventy.
(b) Over ninety.
(c) Over sixty.
(d) Over eighty.
15. Why does tansy grow so well around the schoolhouse?
(a) The fertile soil.
(b) The spacious schoolyard.
(c) The salty air near the ocean.
(d) The children trampled it down during the spring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides her herbal remedies, what else is Mrs. Todd known for in Dunnet Landing?
2. Why does the narrator choose a new place to write?
3. How is Captain Littlepage dressed?
4. What natural landscape influences life in the community?
5. What made the narrator choose Dunnet Landing for her visit?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)