|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What offer does William make the narrator?
(a) He offers to show her the island.
(b) He offers to take her for a carriage ride.
(c) He offers to take her back to Dunnett Landing.
(d) He offers to make her some chowder.
2. What topic leads to the narrator's conversation with Captain Littlepage about life after death?
(a) Captain Littlepage's near-death experience.
(b) The Reverend's remarks.
(c) The importance of living life to it's fullest.
(d) Mrs. Begg's funeral.
3. Why didn't Mrs. Todd marry her first love?
(a) He died young.
(b) She met and married Mr. Todd
(c) His mother didn't approve.
(d) He fell in love with someone else.
4. What did Gaffett and his companion discover after sailing away from the shipwreck?
(a) A town.
(b) More suvivors.
(c) The ship's cargo.
(d) An island.
5. When does the narrator need to have her writing project finished?
(a) By the end of the season.
(b) By the time the publisher writes to request her manuscript.
(c) Before the publisher comes to visit.
(d) By the end of the month.
6. What does the narrator notice about her own thoughts as the funeral procession moves out of sight?
(a) Her thoughts are flighty, and she can't concentrate enough to write.
(b) Her thoughts have become quite melancholy.
(c) The funeral procession has made her nostalgic.
(d) The noise from the procession has made her thoughts restless.
7. What does Mrs. Todd need to get while visiting Mrs. Blackett?
8. How old does the Captain say he is?
(a) Over ninety.
(b) Over sixty.
(c) Over eighty.
(d) Over seventy.
9. Where does the narrator first stay during her visit?
(a) With Mrs. Begg.
(b) In the schoolhouse.
(c) With Mrs. Todd.
(d) In a small, family-run hotel.
10. How would you characterize the relationship between Mrs. Todd and her mother?
(a) Friendly and loving.
11. How does the narrator react to the relative isolation of Mrs. Todd's home after coming back from Mrs. Blackett's?
(a) She enjoys the serenity.
(b) She feels a bit lonely.
(c) She is relieved the visit is over.
(d) She seeks more companionship.
12. Where do the narrator and Mrs. Todd find some time to chat?
(a) In the pennyroyal patch.
(b) In the garden.
(c) In the tansy patch.
(d) In a clearance overlooking the sea.
13. How does Captain Littlepage react to the narrator's comments?
(a) He is glad she understands him.
(b) He is hurt that she doesn't believe him.
(c) He firmly denies her explanation.
(d) He is surprised that has had similar experiences.
14. What connection does Mrs. Todd see between the tansy in the schoolyard and people?
(a) Like tansy, people can only thrive with others of their kind around them.
(b) Like tansy, people can thrive almost anywhere.
(c) Like tansy, people gather their strength during the spring and then blossom fully in the summer.
(d) Like tansy, people can overcome a harsh past to make the most of their lives.
15. What does Mrs. Todd do during her free time?
(a) She visits her friends.
(b) She takes care of her mother.
(c) She collects herbs for cooking.
(d) She collects herbs for natural remedies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the town doctor feel about Mrs. Todd and her use of herbs?
2. What did Mrs. Begg dislike about life at Dunnet Landing?
3. What conclusion about the Captain's beliefs can be drawn from his conversation with the narrator?
4. What does the narrator find impressive about the Captain's retelling of Gaffett's story?
5. What conclusion about the narrator's beliefs can be drawn from her conversation with Captain Littlepage?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)