|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What conclusion about the Captain's beliefs can be drawn from his conversation with the narrator?
(a) He tends not to believe in life after death.
(b) He believes that sailors cannot be trusted.
(c) He believes that seafaring is dangerous.
(d) He tends to believe in life after death.
2. What offer does William make the narrator?
(a) He offers to take her back to Dunnett Landing.
(b) He offers to show her the island.
(c) He offers to make her some chowder.
(d) He offers to take her for a carriage ride.
3. What did Mrs. Begg dislike about life at Dunnet Landing?
(a) The salty smell of the ocean.
(b) The tight-knit community.
(c) The constant sound of the sea.
(d) The people lived too far apart.
4. Why did the Captain leave his position as Commander?
(a) He wanted to spend more time in Dunnet Landing.
(b) He was disabled.
(c) He wanted to spend more time with his family.
(d) He lived through a frightening ordeal after a shipwreck.
5. How does the narrator react to the relative isolation of Mrs. Todd's home after coming back from Mrs. Blackett's?
(a) She enjoys the serenity.
(b) She seeks more companionship.
(c) She is relieved the visit is over.
(d) She feels a bit lonely.
6. How old is Mrs. Blackett?
7. When does the narrator need to have her writing project finished?
(a) By the end of the month.
(b) By the end of the season.
(c) Before the publisher comes to visit.
(d) By the time the publisher writes to request her manuscript.
8. Where do the narrator and Mrs. Todd find some time to chat?
(a) In the pennyroyal patch.
(b) In the garden.
(c) In a clearance overlooking the sea.
(d) In the tansy patch.
9. How would you characterize William's demeanor?
10. What does the narrator remember Mrs. Todd saying about Captain Littlepage?
(a) He reads a lot.
(b) He has a housekeeper.
(c) He is not married.
(d) He is crazy.
11. How does the narrator feel about Mrs. Fosdick once she meets her?
(a) She likes her.
(b) She doesn't like her.
(c) Mrs. Fosdick reminds her of her mother.
(d) She thinks she talks too much.
12. Where does Mrs. Blackett live?
(a) On Brown Island.
(b) On Brown Street.
(c) On Green Island.
(d) On Green Street.
13. How does the narrator react to the funeral procession?
(a) She thinks perhaps she should have joined the procession.
(b) She feels sorry for the family members.
(c) She is irritated by the distraction from her writing.
(d) She realizes that life is short and decides to live life to its fullest.
14. What piece of information does Mrs. Todd reveal to the narrator?
(a) That she never loved her husband.
(b) That her husband never truly loved her.
(c) That she is in love with Captain Littlepage.
(d) That she truly loved someone else.
15. What conclusion did Gaffett draw from his experience?
(a) Luck is the only thing that can keep you alive.
(b) The people were hermits.
(c) You can only trust yourself.
(d) The people were ghosts waiting for passage to another life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conclusion about the narrator's beliefs can be drawn from her conversation with Captain Littlepage?
2. How does Mrs. Todd react to the funeral procession?
3. How does the narrator react to the Captain's story?
4. How old does the Captain say he is?
5. What time of year does the story take place?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)