|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What conclusion did Gaffett draw from his experience?
(a) Luck is the only thing that can keep you alive.
(b) The people were hermits.
(c) The people were ghosts waiting for passage to another life.
(d) You can only trust yourself.
2. How does Captain Littlepage react to the narrator's comments?
(a) He is hurt that she doesn't believe him.
(b) He is glad she understands him.
(c) He is surprised that has had similar experiences.
(d) He firmly denies her explanation.
3. What does the narrator conclude based on Mrs. Todd's revelation?
(a) That love is not necessary for a marriage to work.
(b) That the two must be friends now.
(c) That Mrs. Todd must have been very loyal to her husband.
(d) That love cannot last.
4. What happened when Gaffett and his companion left "the waiting place"?
(a) The coastline disappeared.
(b) The townspeople seemed to taunt them.
(c) The animals watched as they moved out of sight.
(d) They worried that they would freeze.
5. What does the narrator find impressive about the Captain's retelling of Gaffett's story?
(a) His skepticism.
(b) His sense of nostalgia.
(c) His bright eyes and vigor in storytelling.
(d) His attention to detail.
6. How would you characterize William's demeanor?
7. How would you characterize the relationship between Mrs. Todd and her mother?
(a) Friendly and loving.
8. Where does the narrator first stay during her visit?
(a) In the schoolhouse.
(b) With Mrs. Todd.
(c) In a small, family-run hotel.
(d) With Mrs. Begg.
9. How does Mrs. Blackett manage her advanced age?
(a) She has William to help her.
(b) She continues to live an active life.
(c) She walks with a cane.
(d) She worries that she is becoming senile.
10. What did Gaffett and his companion discover after sailing away from the shipwreck?
(a) More suvivors.
(b) The ship's cargo.
(c) An island.
(d) A town.
11. What does Mrs. Todd say she needs after a difficult afternoon at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) A nice bath.
(b) A quiet evening.
(c) A bit of camomile.
(d) A long walk.
12. What natural landscape influences life in the community?
(a) The forest.
(b) The ocean.
(c) The lake.
(d) The mountains.
13. What was the cause of the Captain's experience?
(b) Too much alcohol.
(c) Bad weather.
(d) Poor help from the crew.
14. What topic leads to the narrator's conversation with Captain Littlepage about life after death?
(a) Captain Littlepage's near-death experience.
(b) The importance of living life to it's fullest.
(c) The Reverend's remarks.
(d) Mrs. Begg's funeral.
15. How old is Mrs. Blackett?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do William and Mrs. Blackett do after supper?
2. Who is William?
3. What does the narrator do once she's left the house?
4. What does the narrator notice about her own thoughts as the funeral procession moves out of sight?
5. Why does the narrator choose a new place to write?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)