|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mrs. Begg dislike about life at Dunnet Landing?
(a) The tight-knit community.
(b) The salty smell of the ocean.
(c) The constant sound of the sea.
(d) The people lived too far apart.
2. What does Joanna reveal to Mrs. Todd?
(a) That she has fallen ill.
(b) That she has decided to stay on the island.
(c) That she has committed the ultimate sin.
(d) That she has decided to return to Dunnet Landing.
3. How does the narrator react to the Captain's story?
(a) She is skeptical.
(b) She believes that the story is true.
(c) She has always believed in such things.
(d) She believes that a man like the Captain can only tell the truth.
4. Why does the narrator say she didn't "walk the rest" at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) She is too busy with her work.
(b) She realizes that she is not a member of the community.
(c) She doesn't know the townspeople in the procession.
(d) She doesn't know who the procession is for.
5. What happened when Gaffett and his companion left "the waiting place"?
(a) The coastline disappeared.
(b) The townspeople seemed to taunt them.
(c) The animals watched as they moved out of sight.
(d) They worried that they would freeze.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Joanna ask Mrs. Todd to return?
2. What does Elijah do that causes him to shed a tear while talking to the narrator?
3. What natural landscape influences life in the community?
4. Where did the Captain's experience described in Chapter 5 take place?
5. What distracts the narrator from her work later in the day after the funeral procession?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)