|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5, 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator find impressive about the Captain's retelling of Gaffett's story?
(a) His attention to detail.
(b) His sense of nostalgia.
(c) His bright eyes and vigor in storytelling.
(d) His skepticism.
2. What does Captain Littlepage say about the townspeople?
(a) They think they know everything.
(b) They lead simple lives.
(c) They have been good friends.
(d) They are good people.
3. What does the narrator say about Mrs. Todd's way of talking about Captain Littlepage?
(a) Mrs. Todd won't talk about Captain Littlepage.
(b) Mrs. Todd doesn't seem to like Captain Littlepage.
(c) Mrs. Todd seems to be in love with Captain Littlepage.
(d) The two seem to have a strained relationship.
4. What conclusion did Gaffett draw from his experience?
(a) The people were ghosts waiting for passage to another life.
(b) Luck is the only thing that can keep you alive.
(c) The people were hermits.
(d) You can only trust yourself.
5. Who is the funeral procession for?
(a) Mrs. Begg.
(b) Mrs. Todd.
(c) Mrs. Todd's mother.
(d) Captain Littlepage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What connection does Mrs. Todd see between the tansy in the schoolyard and people?
2. Why does the narrator say she didn't "walk the rest" at the end of Chapter 4?
3. What happened when Gaffett and his companion left "the waiting place"?
4. How does Captain Littlepage react to the narrator's comments?
5. Under which pretense does Mrs. Todd come to the schoolhouse to visit the narrator?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)