|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13, 14 and 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What conclusion about the narrator's beliefs can be drawn from her conversation with Captain Littlepage?
(a) She does not believe in life after death.
(b) She believes that sailors cannot be trusted.
(c) She believes that the Captain is crazy.
(d) She tends not to believe in Gaffert's story.
2. How do the townspeople react to Joanna?
(a) They sail by the island trying to catch a glimpse of her.
(b) They collect money and goods for her.
(c) They visit her regularly.
(d) They pray for her at church.
3. Who does the narrator ask to take her to Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
(a) Captain Littlepage.
(b) Captain Bowden.
(d) Mrs. Todd.
4. Why does the narrator say she didn't "walk the rest" at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) She is too busy with her work.
(b) She doesn't know the townspeople in the procession.
(c) She doesn't know who the procession is for.
(d) She realizes that she is not a member of the community.
5. What does the narrator compare Dunnet Landing's cottage windows to?
(a) Gingerbread windows.
(b) Knowing eyes that watch over the community members.
(c) Windows into the lives and souls of the people in town.
(d) Knowing eyes that look toward the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say about Mrs. Todd's way of talking about Captain Littlepage?
2. What punishment does Joanna inflict on herself?
3. Why does Mrs. Todd say she wants to pick herbs on the island where Mrs. Blackett lives?
4. Why does the narrator come to visit Maine?
5. What does the narrator encounter on Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)