|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had others told Elijah would happen with time after his wife's passing?
(a) They said the pain would continue forever.
(b) They said the pain would ease up.
(c) They said he would meet someone else.
(d) They said he would begin to forget her.
2. What is going on as the narrator is on her walk?
(a) The sheep are circling the schoolhouse.
(b) The fishermen are mending nets.
(c) The people seem to be taking naps.
(d) Nothing, all is quiet.
3. How does the narrator characterize Captain Littlepage's reaction to Gaffett's story?
(a) He believes that sailing is dangerous.
(b) He believes that Gaffett made the story up.
(c) He believes that the story is true.
(d) He believes that too much time at sea can affect your thinking.
4. How do the townspeople react to Joanna?
(a) They visit her regularly.
(b) They collect money and goods for her.
(c) They pray for her at church.
(d) They sail by the island trying to catch a glimpse of her.
5. Who does the narrator ask to take her to Shell-Heap Island in Chapter 15?
(b) Mrs. Todd.
(c) Captain Bowden.
(d) Captain Littlepage.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Elijah and the narrator part?
2. What does the narrator find impressive about the Captain's retelling of Gaffett's story?
3. How does Elijah refer to his late wife?
4. What does Elijah tell the narrator that he does every day?
5. What conclusion about the Captain's beliefs can be drawn from his conversation with the narrator?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)