|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elijah do for a living?
(a) He is a farmer.
(b) He is a blacksmith.
(c) He is a fisherman.
(d) He is a sailor.
2. What hobby of Elijah's surprises the narrator?
(a) He knits.
(b) He crochets.
(c) He paints.
(d) He cooks.
3. What conclusion about the narrator's beliefs can be drawn from her conversation with Captain Littlepage?
(a) She believes that the Captain is crazy.
(b) She does not believe in life after death.
(c) She tends not to believe in Gaffert's story.
(d) She believes that sailors cannot be trusted.
4. Where did Gaffett say he had previously been shipwrecked?
(a) Off the coast of Greenland.
(d) Near Scotland.
5. What had Mrs. Todd been doing prior to her evening visit with Mrs. Fosdick and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Making spruce beer.
(b) Making syrup.
(c) Making herbal teas.
(d) Making cough drops.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Joanna's half of the family farm?
2. What does the narrator remark that the seamen's minds seem to be fixed on?
3. What does the narrator say the idle lobster boats tied up at the shoreline seem to be doing at the beginning of Chapter 20?
4. Why does the Captain believe he knows "the truth" about life after death?
5. What advice does Joanna give Mrs. Todd?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)