Chapters 1, 2, 3 and 4
1. Why does the narrator come to visit Maine?
(a) To write about the area.
(b) To visit friends.
(c) For a long vacation.
(d) To work on a writing project.
2. What time of year does the story take place?
3. What natural landscape influences life in the community?
(a) The forest.
(b) The mountains.
(c) The lake.
(d) The ocean.
4. Where does the narrator first stay during her visit?
(a) With Mrs. Todd.
(b) With Mrs. Begg.
(c) In the schoolhouse.
(d) In a small, family-run hotel.
5. What does Mrs. Todd do during her free time?
(a) She collects herbs for cooking.
(b) She takes care of her mother.
(c) She visits her friends.
(d) She collects herbs for natural remedies.
6. Where does the narrator go to write in Chapter 1?
(a) The schoolhouse.
(b) A cottage in the village.
(c) The beach.
(d) The park.
7. Why does the narrator choose a new place to write?
(a) Others find her presence distracting.
(b) There are too many distractions.
(c) She doesn't like greeting guests.
(d) She finds she is spending too much time with her new friends.
This section contains 5,208 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)