|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Zahn recommend Qfwfq for, which Qfwfq would rather not do?
2. What weapon does Lieutenant Fenimore use against the narrator?
3. How does Dean (k)yK react when Qfwfq loses a bet?
4. When Fern-flower dreams of a dinosaur being teased, what does she do in the dream?
5. How often does the whole family visit N'ba N'ga to get his advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe being with Ursula H'x when their routes intersect?
2. Describe N'ba N'ga's objections to living on land.
3. In the end of the mollusk's story, in what way does he encounter the female mollusk?
4. What does N'ba N'ga like about the water where he lives?
5. How does Qfwfq describe Dean (k)yK, on a typical day in the present?
6. Describe the problems with the advice N'ba N'ga gives his family.
7. What causes the narrator's suspicions about the female he encounters?
8. When does the narrator suppose that he might finally meet Ursula, and what does he fear about that potential meeting?
9. Why does the narrator not want to show his desire to meet Ursula at the beginning of the story "The Form of Space"?
10. What happens to the initial wealth that Qfwfq builds up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several of the stories, a family forms the central group of characters. Discuss the portrayal and role of family in COSMICOMICS.
1) Discuss the family in "At Daybreak." What role does each family member play in the family as a whole? How does being a family affect the characters' interactions?
2) How are the communities in "The Distance of the Moon" and "All at One Point" similar to and different from families?
3) What role does family play in "The Aquatic Uncle"? How does the familial relationship between Qfwfq and his uncle affect the story?
4) What role does family play in "The Dinosaurs"? How does Fern-flower's relationship to her brother affect the story? What is the import of Qfwfq fathering a son?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the stories in COSMICOMICS revolve around love. Discuss love in Calvino's stories.
1) Who are the women that the central characters fall in love with? What attracts the central characters to women in the stories?
2) What do women love in the stories? How do the women interact with the men who love them, and with the ones they love?
3) Why are there no happy endings to the love stories in Calvino's collection? What ways does love end? What does this say about Calvino's attitude toward love?
Essay Topic 3
In COSMICOMICS, the characters exist over enormous periods of time, while astronomical events take place in the formation of the universe. Discuss the role of time in COSMICOMICS.
1) What role does time play in communication in "The Light-Years"? How does time affect the separation between individuals?
2) What is the role of time in "The Dinosaurs"? How does time change perception?
3) What is the effect of passing time on the characters? How does passing time affect older characters like Qfwfq's uncle in "The Aquatic Uncle," and his grandmother in "At Daybreak"?
4) What is the effect of astronomical lengths of time in the stories? How does the passage of astronomical lengths of time affect the betting in "How Much Shall We Bet?" and Qfwfq in "A Sign in Space"? How do the astronomical lengths of time in the novel affect the reader's understanding of Qfwfq?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)