|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qfwfq discover when he goes to spy out the reported dinosaurs?
2. Who gives Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK the libraries, magazines, and computers they need for their calculations?
3. Who does the mollusk expect to develop sight but doesn't?
4. What does the narrator say the sign "This time I like you." refers to?
5. What does the narrator anticipate with relief at the end of "The Light-Years"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe N'ba N'ga's objections to living on land.
2. Why does the narrator get an enormous sign of a hand with a pointing finger?
3. How does Zahn first react to Qfwfq?
4. Describe Lieutenant Fenimore.
5. What is the attitude of the New Ones to the Dinosaurs, when Qfwfq first encounters the New Ones after his period of isolation?
6. What gives Qfwfq an advantage over Dean (k)yK when they bet during the early evolution of the universe?
7. How does the narrator describe being with Ursula H'x when their routes intersect?
8. Why does the narrator not want to show his desire to meet Ursula at the beginning of the story "The Form of Space"?
9. What second enormous hand sign does the narrator make, and why?
10. What does Qfwfq do with the body of the dinosaur the New Ones find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Calvino's stories parallel each other to a greater or lesser degree. Discuss the parallels between stories in COSMICOMICS.
1) What parallels are there between "The Spiral," "The Light-Years," and "A Sign in Space"? How are these three stories' portrayals of signs and creation different and similar?
2) What parallels are there between "At Daybreak," "Without Colors," and "The Aquatic Uncle"? How are these three stories' portrayals of change and human reactions to change different and similar?
3) What parallels are there between "How Much Shall We Bet?" and "Games Without End"? How are these two stories' portrayals of rivalry different and similar?
4) What other parallels are there between the stories in COSMICOMICS? What role do parallels between the stories play in the development of Calvino's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout COSMICOMICS, perception affects and often creates reality. Discuss the relationship of perception and reality in COSMICOMICS.
1) How do others' opinions of Qfwfq (or the unnamed narrator) shape his opinion of himself and his actions in Calvino's stories?
2) In "All at One Point," how does shared perception create reality? Why is shared perception more powerful than individual perception?
3) How do the different characters' perceptions of change in "At Daybreak" and "Without Colors" affect their experience of reality?
Essay Topic 3
In several of the stories, a family forms the central group of characters. Discuss the portrayal and role of family in COSMICOMICS.
1) Discuss the family in "At Daybreak." What role does each family member play in the family as a whole? How does being a family affect the characters' interactions?
2) How are the communities in "The Distance of the Moon" and "All at One Point" similar to and different from families?
3) What role does family play in "The Aquatic Uncle"? How does the familial relationship between Qfwfq and his uncle affect the story?
4) What role does family play in "The Dinosaurs"? How does Fern-flower's relationship to her brother affect the story? What is the import of Qfwfq fathering a son?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)