|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about the female he comes to notice?
2. How far away is the galaxy where the narrator sees the sign?
3. For how long does Qfwfq say he was a dinosaur?
4. What does one of the spectators at the fight between Zahn and Qfwfq call out?
5. What does Qfwfq think of N'ba N'ga's way of speaking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the problems with the advice N'ba N'ga gives his family.
2. How does Lll react when she first meets N'ba N'ga?
3. What gives Qfwfq an advantage over Dean (k)yK when they bet during the early evolution of the universe?
4. How does Qfwfq describe Dean (k)yK, on a typical day in the present?
5. What second enormous hand sign does the narrator make, and why?
6. What does the narrator think the first sign he sees is referring to?
7. Why does the narrator get an enormous sign of a hand with a pointing finger?
8. Describe Lieutenant Fenimore.
9. In the end of the mollusk's story, in what way does he encounter the female mollusk?
10. When does the narrator suppose that he might finally meet Ursula, and what does he fear about that potential meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Calvino's stories deal with communication between an individual and the world around him. Discuss communication in Calvino's stories.
1) In "The Light Years," how does the narrator communicate with others? What problems are there in communication?
2) In "The Form of Space," how does the narrator communicate with the other characters? What role does communication play in the story?
3) How well do the characters in COSMICOMICS communicate with the ones they love? How well, and in what way, do the characters communicate with their rivals?
4) In "A Sign in Space," how does Qfwfq communicate through his sign? What meaning and communication does Qfwfq receive from other signs? What is the role of communication in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Each story in COSMICOMICS is based on a snippet of information about science. Discuss the role of science in Calvino's stories.
1) How does the author choose the science information to base the stories on? Why are some of the science ideas and theories ones that have been disproved?
2) What role does science play in the stories themselves? Why does Calvino make his stories fantastical, and what relationship does the fantastical have to science?
3) What is Calvino's attitude toward science in COSMICOMICS?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of women in CosmicomicsCOSMICOMICS.
1) Compare Ayl, Lll, and Qfwfq's sister G'd(w)^n. How are these characters similar? Are their similarities related to their gender? Are their other female characters who share similarities? Are there female characters who contrast to these three women?
2) What attracts Qfwfq or the unnamed narrator to female love interests? What is the source of love? How does Qfwfq and the unnamed narrator perceive women?
3) Discuss Mrs. Ph(i)NK_0. How does she represent women? How is she treated differently from the other characters in "All at One Point"? How does she compare with representations of women in other stories?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)