|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What variables does the narrator use to refer to the two moments in his life that he thinks others must be observing from far-away galaxies?
2. What sign does the narrator see, when he looks up in anticipation of a reaction to the second event, of which he is proud?
3. What is the first bet Qfwfq makes before the beginning of the universe?
4. What things do Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK lack at first that makes betting difficult?
5. What do the New Ones do when they find the dinosaur body?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the narrator suppose that he might finally meet Ursula, and what does he fear about that potential meeting?
2. What gives Qfwfq an advantage over Dean (k)yK when they bet during the early evolution of the universe?
3. How does Lll react when she first meets N'ba N'ga?
4. In the end of the mollusk's story, in what way does he encounter the female mollusk?
5. Describe the problems with the advice N'ba N'ga gives his family.
6. Describe Lieutenant Fenimore.
7. How does Qfwfq describe Dean (k)yK, on a typical day in the present?
8. What causes the narrator's suspicions about the female he encounters?
9. Describe N'ba N'ga's objections to living on land.
10. What does N'ba N'ga like about the water where he lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout COSMICOMICS, Qfwfq feels judged by others, and characters enter into petty squabbles with each other. Discuss judgment throughout COSMICOMICS.
1) In "A Sign in Space," why does Qfwfq feel judged? What reasons does he have to feel that others are judging him? How does he judge himself?
2) In "All at One Point," how do the characters judge and criticize each other? Why is Mrs. Ph(i)NK_0 immune to this judgmental behavior?
3) How do Qfwfq and his uncle judge each other in "The Aquatic Uncle"? Where do their opinions of each other stem from?
4) In "The Light-Years," why does the narrator feel judged? How does he judge himself? How does his perception of being judged affect his actions and his relationship with others?
Essay Topic 2
COSMICOMICS deals with the divisions that exist between the self and others, and the relationship of one's inner self to the society of others outside one's self. Discuss the dichotomy between self and others in COSMICOMICS.
1) How are the characters in "All at One Point" separate from each other and yet unified? What role does the separation between self and others have in quibbling and pettiness? What role does the unification of separate individuals play in the expansion of the point at the end of the story?
2) In "Games without End," how is Pfwfp a reflection of Qfwfq? In what other stories are "others" a reflection of the narrator's self, and to what extent?
3) How are relatives, who share history and genetic makeup, a part of the characters in the story and in some ways an extension of the self?
Essay Topic 3
The stories in COSMICOMICS take place at different points of the universe, where distance and space play an important role. Discuss space and distance in COSMICOMICS.
1) What role does space and distance play in "All at One Point"? How does the confinement of a single point of space compare to the expanded universe and affect characters' perceptions and behaviors?
2) What role does space and distance play in "The Distance of the Moon" and "The Form of Space"? How does distance relate to love and attraction?
3) What role does space and distance play in "Games Without End?" What does the ending of the story say about space and distance?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)