|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mollusk think of the development of eyesight?
2. How much does the narrator plan the details of his shell's appearance?
3. Which of the following impossible fantasies does the narrator have in his shapeless form?
4. What gives the narrator the idea that space has a shape and form?
5. Where are the universes that the narrator sees as he falls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator get an enormous sign of a hand with a pointing finger?
2. How do the New Ones' perception of dinosaurs change over the time Qfwfq is with them?
3. Why does the narrator not want to show his desire to meet Ursula at the beginning of the story "The Form of Space"?
4. What happens to the initial wealth that Qfwfq builds up?
5. How does Lll react when she first meets N'ba N'ga?
6. In the end of the mollusk's story, in what way does he encounter the female mollusk?
7. What second enormous hand sign does the narrator make, and why?
8. What gives Qfwfq an advantage over Dean (k)yK when they bet during the early evolution of the universe?
9. When does the narrator suppose that he might finally meet Ursula, and what does he fear about that potential meeting?
10. What is the attitude of the New Ones to the Dinosaurs, when Qfwfq first encounters the New Ones after his period of isolation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In COSMICOMICS, the characters exist over enormous periods of time, while astronomical events take place in the formation of the universe. Discuss the role of time in COSMICOMICS.
1) What role does time play in communication in "The Light-Years"? How does time affect the separation between individuals?
2) What is the role of time in "The Dinosaurs"? How does time change perception?
3) What is the effect of passing time on the characters? How does passing time affect older characters like Qfwfq's uncle in "The Aquatic Uncle," and his grandmother in "At Daybreak"?
4) What is the effect of astronomical lengths of time in the stories? How does the passage of astronomical lengths of time affect the betting in "How Much Shall We Bet?" and Qfwfq in "A Sign in Space"? How do the astronomical lengths of time in the novel affect the reader's understanding of Qfwfq?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of women in CosmicomicsCOSMICOMICS.
1) Compare Ayl, Lll, and Qfwfq's sister G'd(w)^n. How are these characters similar? Are their similarities related to their gender? Are their other female characters who share similarities? Are there female characters who contrast to these three women?
2) What attracts Qfwfq or the unnamed narrator to female love interests? What is the source of love? How does Qfwfq and the unnamed narrator perceive women?
3) Discuss Mrs. Ph(i)NK_0. How does she represent women? How is she treated differently from the other characters in "All at One Point"? How does she compare with representations of women in other stories?
Essay Topic 3
Because the stories in COSMICOMICS discuss the natural world examined by science, they address mankind's relationship to the natural world. Discuss the relationship between man and the natural world in COSMICOMICS.
1) What is the relationship between the world of mankind and the natural world of the mollusk in "The Spiral"?
2) How is mankind related to the evolution of the universe? How does life on Earth contrast with the natural world before life developed?
3) How do natural forces like evolution and changes in the universe affect characters in the stories?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)