|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign does the narrator read that at first he's happy about, but later is disappointed by?
2. How much does the narrator plan the details of his shell's appearance?
3. What does the mollusk think of the development of eyesight?
4. What do the New Ones do when they find the dinosaur body?
5. What things do Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK lack at first that makes betting difficult?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator not want to show his desire to meet Ursula at the beginning of the story "The Form of Space"?
2. When does the narrator suppose that he might finally meet Ursula, and what does he fear about that potential meeting?
3. How does the narrator see evolution as confining?
4. In what way, according to the narrator's description, does the existence of a shell bring about eyes and the ability to see?
5. What does Qfwfq do with the body of the dinosaur the New Ones find?
6. What does the narrator think the first sign he sees is referring to?
7. What explanation does the narrator give for caring about the opinion of whoever wrote the sign he first sees?
8. What happens to the initial wealth that Qfwfq builds up?
9. What second enormous hand sign does the narrator make, and why?
10. Describe Lieutenant Fenimore.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the stories in COSMICOMICS deal with change and stasis, and the characters' reactions to changes in their world. Discuss change and stasis in COSMICOMICS.
1) Which of the stories in COSMICOMICS are set at moments of change in the development of the universe? How do the characters respond to change?
2) Are there patterns to how different types of characters respond to change in COSMICOMICS? How do women respond differently than men? How do older people respond differently to younger people?
3) What is the role of stasis in COSMICOMICS? In what way are the end of "Games without End" and the parallel falls in "The Form of Space" representations of stasis, in contrast to change represented in other stories?
Essay Topic 2
The stories in COSMICOMICS take place at different points of the universe, where distance and space play an important role. Discuss space and distance in COSMICOMICS.
1) What role does space and distance play in "All at One Point"? How does the confinement of a single point of space compare to the expanded universe and affect characters' perceptions and behaviors?
2) What role does space and distance play in "The Distance of the Moon" and "The Form of Space"? How does distance relate to love and attraction?
3) What role does space and distance play in "Games Without End?" What does the ending of the story say about space and distance?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in COSMICOMICS have strange names which use symbols not normally found in names. Discuss the characters' names in COSMICOMICS.
1) Why are the names of Qfwfq's rivals Pfwfp and Kgwgk so similar to Qfwfq's name?
2) Why do the characters have unpronounceable names, with mathematical symbols and numbers in them? What affect do the strange names have on the reader? How do the names relate to the scientific subject matter of the stories? How do the names relate to the fantasy elements of the stories?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)