|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the universes that the narrator sees as he falls?
2. What does Qfwfq discover when he goes to spy out the reported dinosaurs?
3. After the narrator speculates that Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore might have met at some time in the past, what does he deduce from this speculation?
4. What does Lll dare Qfwfq to do when they are playing near the water?
5. What job does Zahn recommend Qfwfq for, which Qfwfq would rather not do?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout COSMICOMICS, characters generate ideas for the first time and do or conceive of things before the things themselves, or integral parts of those things, exist. Discuss these prototypes in COSMICOMICS.
1) How does Qfwfq think about the first sign? What is the significance of the sign being the "first"? How does this prototype differ from later signs?
2) How does the society in the point in "All at One Point" function as a prototype of later societies that will exist in the expanded universe?
3) How do the characters in "How Much Shall We Bet?" create a prototype of betting? How does betting change as the universe develops?
4) Why are there so many prototypes throughout COSMICOMICS? How are they related to each other and to the themes of the story collection?
Essay Topic 2
Each story in COSMICOMICS is based on a snippet of information about science. Discuss the role of science in Calvino's stories.
1) How does the author choose the science information to base the stories on? Why are some of the science ideas and theories ones that have been disproved?
2) What role does science play in the stories themselves? Why does Calvino make his stories fantastical, and what relationship does the fantastical have to science?
3) What is Calvino's attitude toward science in COSMICOMICS?
Essay Topic 3
Calvino's stories often center around signs and symbols. Discuss the role of signs and symbols in COSMICOMICS.
1) Discuss signs in "A Sign in Space." What is Qfwfq's first sign meant to represent? How does its meaning and function change over the course of the story? What does the story say about the nature of signs?
2) Discuss signs in "The Light-Years." How do the signs in "The Light-Years" compare to those in "A Sign in Space"? What is the function of signs? What problems do signs present?
3) What signs and symbols appear in other stories? How do the characters use signs and symbols and interpret them?
This section contains 2,566 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)