Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the universes that the narrator sees as he falls?
2. What does Qfwfq discover when he goes to spy out the reported dinosaurs?
3. After the narrator speculates that Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore might have met at some time in the past, what does he deduce from this speculation?
4. What does Lll dare Qfwfq to do when they are playing near the water?
5. What job does Zahn recommend Qfwfq for, which Qfwfq would rather not do?
Essay Topic 1
Many of the stories in COSMICOMICS revolve around love. Discuss love in Calvino's stories.
1) Who are the women that the central characters fall in love with? What attracts the central characters to women in the stories?
2) What do women love in the stories? How do the women interact with the men who love them, and with the ones they love?
3) Why are there no happy endings to the love stories in Calvino's collection? What ways does love end? What does this say about Calvino's attitude toward love?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout COSMICOMICS, perception affects and often creates reality. Discuss the relationship of perception and reality in COSMICOMICS.
1) How do others' opinions of Qfwfq (or the unnamed narrator) shape his opinion of himself and his actions in Calvino's stories?
2) In "All at One Point," how does shared perception create reality? Why is shared perception more powerful than individual perception?
3) How do the different characters' perceptions of change in "At Daybreak" and "Without Colors" affect their experience of reality?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout COSMICOMICS, characters generate ideas for the first time and do or conceive of things before the things themselves, or integral parts of those things, exist. Discuss these prototypes in COSMICOMICS.
1) How does Qfwfq think about the first sign? What is the significance of the sign being the "first"? How does this prototype differ from later signs?
2) How does the society in the point in "All at One Point" function as a prototype of later societies that will exist in the expanded universe?
3) How do the characters in "How Much Shall We Bet?" create a prototype of betting? How does betting change as the universe develops?
4) Why are there so many prototypes throughout COSMICOMICS? How are they related to each other and to the themes of the story collection?
This section contains 2,566 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)