|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the universes that the narrator sees as he falls?
2. What does Qfwfq discover when he goes to spy out the reported dinosaurs?
3. After the narrator speculates that Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore might have met at some time in the past, what does he deduce from this speculation?
4. What does Lll dare Qfwfq to do when they are playing near the water?
5. What job does Zahn recommend Qfwfq for, which Qfwfq would rather not do?
Essay Topic 1
Because the stories in COSMICOMICS discuss the natural world examined by science, they address mankind's relationship to the natural world. Discuss the relationship between man and the natural world in COSMICOMICS.
1) What is the relationship between the world of mankind and the natural world of the mollusk in "The Spiral"?
2) How is mankind related to the evolution of the universe? How does life on Earth contrast with the natural world before life developed?
3) How do natural forces like evolution and changes in the universe affect characters in the stories?
Essay Topic 2
The stories in COSMICOMICS take place at different points of the universe, where distance and space play an important role. Discuss space and distance in COSMICOMICS.
1) What role does space and distance play in "All at One Point"? How does the confinement of a single point of space compare to the expanded universe and affect characters' perceptions and behaviors?
2) What role does space and distance play in "The Distance of the Moon" and "The Form of Space"? How does distance relate to love and attraction?
3) What role does space and distance play in "Games Without End?" What does the ending of the story say about space and distance?
Essay Topic 3
Calvino's stories parallel each other to a greater or lesser degree. Discuss the parallels between stories in COSMICOMICS.
1) What parallels are there between "The Spiral," "The Light-Years," and "A Sign in Space"? How are these three stories' portrayals of signs and creation different and similar?
2) What parallels are there between "At Daybreak," "Without Colors," and "The Aquatic Uncle"? How are these three stories' portrayals of change and human reactions to change different and similar?
3) What parallels are there between "How Much Shall We Bet?" and "Games Without End"? How are these two stories' portrayals of rivalry different and similar?
4) What other parallels are there between the stories in COSMICOMICS? What role do parallels between the stories play in the development of Calvino's themes?
This section contains 2,566 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)