|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first bet Qfwfq makes before the beginning of the universe?
2. What are the main things the narrator is aware of beyond himself?
3. How far away is the galaxy where the narrator sees the sign?
4. What does Ursula H'x do as she falls?
5. Which of the following impossible fantasies does the narrator have in his shapeless form?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator get an enormous sign of a hand with a pointing finger?
2. What is the attitude of the New Ones to the Dinosaurs, when Qfwfq first encounters the New Ones after his period of isolation?
3. What does N'ba N'ga like about the water where he lives?
4. How does Lll react when she first meets N'ba N'ga?
5. How do the New Ones' perception of dinosaurs change over the time Qfwfq is with them?
6. How does the narrator see evolution as confining?
7. How does Qfwfq describe Dean (k)yK, on a typical day in the present?
8. Describe N'ba N'ga's objections to living on land.
9. What gives Qfwfq an advantage over Dean (k)yK when they bet during the early evolution of the universe?
10. Describe Lieutenant Fenimore.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout COSMICOMICS, Qfwfq and the unnamed narrator have rivalries with other characters. Discuss rivalry in COSMICOMICS.
1) The narrator has rivalries for love in "The Form of Space," "The Aquatic Uncle," and "The Distance of the Moon." How does love relate to rivalry? What causes the rivalries in these stories, and how are rivalries based on competing love unique?
2) The narrator has rivalries based on competition in "A Sign in Space," "Games without End," and "How Much Shall We Bet?" How does competition relate to rivalry? What causes the rivalries in these stories? How is competition resolved?
3) How are rivalries perpetuated in Calvino's stories?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout COSMICOMICS, perception affects and often creates reality. Discuss the relationship of perception and reality in COSMICOMICS.
1) How do others' opinions of Qfwfq (or the unnamed narrator) shape his opinion of himself and his actions in Calvino's stories?
2) In "All at One Point," how does shared perception create reality? Why is shared perception more powerful than individual perception?
3) How do the different characters' perceptions of change in "At Daybreak" and "Without Colors" affect their experience of reality?
Essay Topic 3
Because the stories in COSMICOMICS discuss the natural world examined by science, they address mankind's relationship to the natural world. Discuss the relationship between man and the natural world in COSMICOMICS.
1) What is the relationship between the world of mankind and the natural world of the mollusk in "The Spiral"?
2) How is mankind related to the evolution of the universe? How does life on Earth contrast with the natural world before life developed?
3) How do natural forces like evolution and changes in the universe affect characters in the stories?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)