|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the universes that the narrator sees as he falls?
2. How does the narrator feel about the female he comes to notice?
3. What begins to happen to Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK's bets after humanity appears on the scene?
4. How does the narrator see the shape of space?
5. What is the first bet Qfwfq makes before the beginning of the universe?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way, according to the narrator's description, does the existence of a shell bring about eyes and the ability to see?
2. What gives Qfwfq an advantage over Dean (k)yK when they bet during the early evolution of the universe?
3. What causes the narrator's suspicions about the female he encounters?
4. What happens to the initial wealth that Qfwfq builds up?
5. Why does the narrator get an enormous sign of a hand with a pointing finger?
6. Describe N'ba N'ga's objections to living on land.
7. In the end of the mollusk's story, in what way does he encounter the female mollusk?
8. What does N'ba N'ga like about the water where he lives?
9. What second enormous hand sign does the narrator make, and why?
10. Describe Lieutenant Fenimore.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout COSMICOMICS, Qfwfq feels judged by others, and characters enter into petty squabbles with each other. Discuss judgment throughout COSMICOMICS.
1) In "A Sign in Space," why does Qfwfq feel judged? What reasons does he have to feel that others are judging him? How does he judge himself?
2) In "All at One Point," how do the characters judge and criticize each other? Why is Mrs. Ph(i)NK_0 immune to this judgmental behavior?
3) How do Qfwfq and his uncle judge each other in "The Aquatic Uncle"? Where do their opinions of each other stem from?
4) In "The Light-Years," why does the narrator feel judged? How does he judge himself? How does his perception of being judged affect his actions and his relationship with others?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the stories in COSMICOMICS deal with change and stasis, and the characters' reactions to changes in their world. Discuss change and stasis in COSMICOMICS.
1) Which of the stories in COSMICOMICS are set at moments of change in the development of the universe? How do the characters respond to change?
2) Are there patterns to how different types of characters respond to change in COSMICOMICS? How do women respond differently than men? How do older people respond differently to younger people?
3) What is the role of stasis in COSMICOMICS? In what way are the end of "Games without End" and the parallel falls in "The Form of Space" representations of stasis, in contrast to change represented in other stories?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in COSMICOMICS have strange names which use symbols not normally found in names. Discuss the characters' names in COSMICOMICS.
1) Why are the names of Qfwfq's rivals Pfwfp and Kgwgk so similar to Qfwfq's name?
2) Why do the characters have unpronounceable names, with mathematical symbols and numbers in them? What affect do the strange names have on the reader? How do the names relate to the scientific subject matter of the stories? How do the names relate to the fantasy elements of the stories?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)