|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives the narrator the idea that space has a shape and form?
2. What is N'ba N'ga's relationship to Qfwfq?
3. What weapon does Lieutenant Fenimore use against the narrator?
4. Where does N'ba N'ga live?
5. How far away is the galaxy where the narrator sees the sign?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zahn first react to Qfwfq?
2. Which bets does Qfwfq find most satisfying?
3. What does N'ba N'ga like about the water where he lives?
4. How does the narrator describe being with Ursula H'x when their routes intersect?
5. Why does the narrator not want to show his desire to meet Ursula at the beginning of the story "The Form of Space"?
6. What causes the narrator's suspicions about the female he encounters?
7. When does the narrator suppose that he might finally meet Ursula, and what does he fear about that potential meeting?
8. Describe Lieutenant Fenimore.
9. Why does the narrator get an enormous sign of a hand with a pointing finger?
10. What happens to the initial wealth that Qfwfq builds up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because the stories in COSMICOMICS discuss the natural world examined by science, they address mankind's relationship to the natural world. Discuss the relationship between man and the natural world in COSMICOMICS.
1) What is the relationship between the world of mankind and the natural world of the mollusk in "The Spiral"?
2) How is mankind related to the evolution of the universe? How does life on Earth contrast with the natural world before life developed?
3) How do natural forces like evolution and changes in the universe affect characters in the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Calvino's stories often center around signs and symbols. Discuss the role of signs and symbols in COSMICOMICS.
1) Discuss signs in "A Sign in Space." What is Qfwfq's first sign meant to represent? How does its meaning and function change over the course of the story? What does the story say about the nature of signs?
2) Discuss signs in "The Light-Years." How do the signs in "The Light-Years" compare to those in "A Sign in Space"? What is the function of signs? What problems do signs present?
3) What signs and symbols appear in other stories? How do the characters use signs and symbols and interpret them?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout COSMICOMICS, Qfwfq and the unnamed narrator have rivalries with other characters. Discuss rivalry in COSMICOMICS.
1) The narrator has rivalries for love in "The Form of Space," "The Aquatic Uncle," and "The Distance of the Moon." How does love relate to rivalry? What causes the rivalries in these stories, and how are rivalries based on competing love unique?
2) The narrator has rivalries based on competition in "A Sign in Space," "Games without End," and "How Much Shall We Bet?" How does competition relate to rivalry? What causes the rivalries in these stories? How is competition resolved?
3) How are rivalries perpetuated in Calvino's stories?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)