Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the universes that the narrator sees as he falls?
2. What does Qfwfq discover when he goes to spy out the reported dinosaurs?
3. After the narrator speculates that Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore might have met at some time in the past, what does he deduce from this speculation?
4. What does Lll dare Qfwfq to do when they are playing near the water?
5. What job does Zahn recommend Qfwfq for, which Qfwfq would rather not do?
Essay Topic 1
In COSMICOMICS, the characters exist over enormous periods of time, while astronomical events take place in the formation of the universe. Discuss the role of time in COSMICOMICS.
1) What role does time play in communication in "The Light-Years"? How does time affect the separation between individuals?
2) What is the role of time in "The Dinosaurs"? How does time change perception?
3) What is the effect of passing time on the characters? How does passing time affect older characters like Qfwfq's uncle in "The Aquatic Uncle," and his grandmother in "At Daybreak"?
4) What is the effect of astronomical lengths of time in the stories? How does the passage of astronomical lengths of time affect the betting in "How Much Shall We Bet?" and Qfwfq in "A Sign in Space"? How do the astronomical lengths of time in the novel affect the reader's understanding of Qfwfq?
Essay Topic 2
In science, future events are predicable, based on physical laws. From this standpoint of predictable physical laws, it's possible to argue that with enough information, every aspect of the world is fated and predictable. Explain the role that fate and predictability plays in COSMICOMICS and Calvino's point of view on predetermination.
1) How are physical events of the universe predictable in Calvino's stories, such as "How Much Shall We Bet?" and "Games without End"? How are characters in tune with nature and able to predict what will happen, including Qfwfq and the Deaf One, in various stories?
2) How predictable is human nature in Calvino's stories? What elements make human choice less predictable than physical laws?
3) What is Calvino's point of view on predetermination? Are the characters' lives fated, much as the formation of stars is fated?
Essay Topic 3
Because the stories in COSMICOMICS discuss the natural world examined by science, they address mankind's relationship to the natural world. Discuss the relationship between man and the natural world in COSMICOMICS.
1) What is the relationship between the world of mankind and the natural world of the mollusk in "The Spiral"?
2) How is mankind related to the evolution of the universe? How does life on Earth contrast with the natural world before life developed?
3) How do natural forces like evolution and changes in the universe affect characters in the stories?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)