|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example of a detailed bet that he makes does Qfwfq give?
2. What does Qfwfq discover when he goes to spy out the reported dinosaurs?
3. What things do Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK lack at first that makes betting difficult?
4. How does the narrator know about females of his species?
5. During what period did the dinosaurs die out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the attitude of the New Ones to the Dinosaurs, when Qfwfq first encounters the New Ones after his period of isolation?
2. How does the narrator describe being with Ursula H'x when their routes intersect?
3. When does the narrator suppose that he might finally meet Ursula, and what does he fear about that potential meeting?
4. How does Lll react when she first meets N'ba N'ga?
5. Why does the narrator not want to show his desire to meet Ursula at the beginning of the story "The Form of Space"?
6. Which bets does Qfwfq find most satisfying?
7. Why does the narrator get an enormous sign of a hand with a pointing finger?
8. Describe the problems with the advice N'ba N'ga gives his family.
9. How does Qfwfq describe Dean (k)yK, on a typical day in the present?
10. What does N'ba N'ga like about the water where he lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout COSMICOMICS, characters generate ideas for the first time and do or conceive of things before the things themselves, or integral parts of those things, exist. Discuss these prototypes in COSMICOMICS.
1) How does Qfwfq think about the first sign? What is the significance of the sign being the "first"? How does this prototype differ from later signs?
2) How does the society in the point in "All at One Point" function as a prototype of later societies that will exist in the expanded universe?
3) How do the characters in "How Much Shall We Bet?" create a prototype of betting? How does betting change as the universe develops?
4) Why are there so many prototypes throughout COSMICOMICS? How are they related to each other and to the themes of the story collection?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the stories in COSMICOMICS revolve around love. Discuss love in Calvino's stories.
1) Who are the women that the central characters fall in love with? What attracts the central characters to women in the stories?
2) What do women love in the stories? How do the women interact with the men who love them, and with the ones they love?
3) Why are there no happy endings to the love stories in Calvino's collection? What ways does love end? What does this say about Calvino's attitude toward love?
Essay Topic 3
Calvino's stories deal with communication between an individual and the world around him. Discuss communication in Calvino's stories.
1) In "The Light Years," how does the narrator communicate with others? What problems are there in communication?
2) In "The Form of Space," how does the narrator communicate with the other characters? What role does communication play in the story?
3) How well do the characters in COSMICOMICS communicate with the ones they love? How well, and in what way, do the characters communicate with their rivals?
4) In "A Sign in Space," how does Qfwfq communicate through his sign? What meaning and communication does Qfwfq receive from other signs? What is the role of communication in the story?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)