|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what period did the dinosaurs die out?
2. Where does N'ba N'ga live?
3. What does the narrator anticipate with relief at the end of "The Light-Years"?
4. How does the narrator first interact with a female?
5. What is N'ba N'ga's relationship to Qfwfq?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way, according to the narrator's description, does the existence of a shell bring about eyes and the ability to see?
2. What does N'ba N'ga like about the water where he lives?
3. In the end of the mollusk's story, in what way does he encounter the female mollusk?
4. What happens to the initial wealth that Qfwfq builds up?
5. How does Qfwfq describe Dean (k)yK, on a typical day in the present?
6. Why does the narrator get an enormous sign of a hand with a pointing finger?
7. How do the New Ones' perception of dinosaurs change over the time Qfwfq is with them?
8. What gives Qfwfq an advantage over Dean (k)yK when they bet during the early evolution of the universe?
9. What does the narrator think the first sign he sees is referring to?
10. Describe N'ba N'ga's objections to living on land.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout COSMICOMICS, characters generate ideas for the first time and do or conceive of things before the things themselves, or integral parts of those things, exist. Discuss these prototypes in COSMICOMICS.
1) How does Qfwfq think about the first sign? What is the significance of the sign being the "first"? How does this prototype differ from later signs?
2) How does the society in the point in "All at One Point" function as a prototype of later societies that will exist in the expanded universe?
3) How do the characters in "How Much Shall We Bet?" create a prototype of betting? How does betting change as the universe develops?
4) Why are there so many prototypes throughout COSMICOMICS? How are they related to each other and to the themes of the story collection?
Essay Topic 2
The stories in COSMICOMICS take place at different points of the universe, where distance and space play an important role. Discuss space and distance in COSMICOMICS.
1) What role does space and distance play in "All at One Point"? How does the confinement of a single point of space compare to the expanded universe and affect characters' perceptions and behaviors?
2) What role does space and distance play in "The Distance of the Moon" and "The Form of Space"? How does distance relate to love and attraction?
3) What role does space and distance play in "Games Without End?" What does the ending of the story say about space and distance?
Essay Topic 3
In COSMICOMICS, objects and things outside the self often reflect the self to the outside world. Discuss the role of objects and belongings in COSMICOMICS, and their relationship to identity and self.
1) What is the role of the characters' outer appearance in reflecting their inner selves? How do Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore's appearances reflect their personalities? How does the mollusk's shell become an embodiment of the mollusk's self?
2) How do objects the characters create and acquire reflect themselves? How does the sign in space become a representation of Qfwfq? How do the hydrogen atoms and the galaxies the boys form in "Games Without End" become representations of the boys, and part of their comparisons with each other?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)