|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Zahn recommend Qfwfq for, which Qfwfq would rather not do?
2. Who does Ursula H'x always look at as she falls?
3. Why does Qfwfq bet that there will be atoms?
4. What are the first things Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK have to bet with?
5. How does the narrator see the shape of space?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lll react when she first meets N'ba N'ga?
2. When does the narrator suppose that he might finally meet Ursula, and what does he fear about that potential meeting?
3. How does Qfwfq describe Dean (k)yK, on a typical day in the present?
4. How does the narrator see evolution as confining?
5. What explanation does the narrator give for caring about the opinion of whoever wrote the sign he first sees?
6. What does Qfwfq do with the body of the dinosaur the New Ones find?
7. How does the narrator describe being with Ursula H'x when their routes intersect?
8. Which bets does Qfwfq find most satisfying?
9. How does Zahn first react to Qfwfq?
10. What causes the narrator's suspicions about the female he encounters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Calvino's stories deal with communication between an individual and the world around him. Discuss communication in Calvino's stories.
1) In "The Light Years," how does the narrator communicate with others? What problems are there in communication?
2) In "The Form of Space," how does the narrator communicate with the other characters? What role does communication play in the story?
3) How well do the characters in COSMICOMICS communicate with the ones they love? How well, and in what way, do the characters communicate with their rivals?
4) In "A Sign in Space," how does Qfwfq communicate through his sign? What meaning and communication does Qfwfq receive from other signs? What is the role of communication in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Because the stories in COSMICOMICS discuss the natural world examined by science, they address mankind's relationship to the natural world. Discuss the relationship between man and the natural world in COSMICOMICS.
1) What is the relationship between the world of mankind and the natural world of the mollusk in "The Spiral"?
2) How is mankind related to the evolution of the universe? How does life on Earth contrast with the natural world before life developed?
3) How do natural forces like evolution and changes in the universe affect characters in the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout COSMICOMICS, perception affects and often creates reality. Discuss the relationship of perception and reality in COSMICOMICS.
1) How do others' opinions of Qfwfq (or the unnamed narrator) shape his opinion of himself and his actions in Calvino's stories?
2) In "All at One Point," how does shared perception create reality? Why is shared perception more powerful than individual perception?
3) How do the different characters' perceptions of change in "At Daybreak" and "Without Colors" affect their experience of reality?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)