|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the sea creatures to go up into the air?
2. How does Qfwfq feel about his grandmother's cushion?
3. What simile does Qfwfq use to describe the conditions before the Big Bang, though he admits it's inaccurate?
4. What does Qfwfq use to stick together the creation he makes in his secret storeroom?
5. What warms the Earth at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the aunts and uncles when they leave?
2. What does Granny say has happened after the darkness comes again at the end of the story?
3. How does Qfwfq describe the new atoms that are formed?
4. What happens when Qfwfq comes again to the place where his first sign was, and finds five signs there?
5. What happens to Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 at the end of the story?
6. In the story, one of the characters accidentally floats up into the air. Describe how that character comes back down.
7. How does the Deaf One act while the moon is further away from the Earth?
8. What object's beauty do Qfwfq and Ayl disagree about?
9. How is the food that the characters collect from the moon made?
10. Describe Mrs. Ph(i)Nk_0.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout COSMICOMICS, perception affects and often creates reality. Discuss the relationship of perception and reality in COSMICOMICS.
1) How do others' opinions of Qfwfq (or the unnamed narrator) shape his opinion of himself and his actions in Calvino's stories?
2) In "All at One Point," how does shared perception create reality? Why is shared perception more powerful than individual perception?
3) How do the different characters' perceptions of change in "At Daybreak" and "Without Colors" affect their experience of reality?
Essay Topic 2
Characters in COSMICOMICS use reason and logic to different degrees to try to understand the universe. Discuss the role of reason and logic in COSMICOMICS.
1) How does Qfwfq use reason and logic to understand the universe in "How Much Shall We Bet?" What does Qfwfq miss about understanding the universe, through using reason and logic?
2) How does the narrator use reason and logic to understand the path of his fall and how to interact with other characters in "The Form of Space"? What role does reason and logic play in the narrator's personal relationships with the other characters?
3) How does Qfwfq's great-uncle use reason and logic to defend his position in "The Aquatic Uncle"? Why does his reason and logic break down when he is asked to make decisions about events that take place on land?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of women in CosmicomicsCOSMICOMICS.
1) Compare Ayl, Lll, and Qfwfq's sister G'd(w)^n. How are these characters similar? Are their similarities related to their gender? Are their other female characters who share similarities? Are there female characters who contrast to these three women?
2) What attracts Qfwfq or the unnamed narrator to female love interests? What is the source of love? How does Qfwfq and the unnamed narrator perceive women?
3) Discuss Mrs. Ph(i)NK_0. How does she represent women? How is she treated differently from the other characters in "All at One Point"? How does she compare with representations of women in other stories?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)