|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Mrs. Vhd Vhd play?
2. As time passes, how does Qfwfq come to see his second sign?
3. How does Qfwfq feel about the colors that fill the Earth?
4. Who is the first person Qfwfq complains about living so close to?
5. What happens to Granny's cushion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 at the end of the story?
2. When Qfwfq's father says they are hitting something, why doesn't Qfwfq understand what he means?
3. When Qfwfq finally sees Ayl again, after the meteor flying overhead, how does he lure her away from her friends?
4. What skills does the Deaf One have that make it easiest for him to climb up to the moon?
5. What does Granny think is happening when light first appears?
6. What happens to the aunts and uncles when they leave?
7. Describe Qfwfq's creation of a galaxy.
8. How does Mrs. Vhd Vhd act during her time trapped on the moon?
9. What are Ayl and Qfwfq's attitudes toward difference and sameness?
10. What does Granny say has happened after the darkness comes again at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
COSMICOMICS deals with the divisions that exist between the self and others, and the relationship of one's inner self to the society of others outside one's self. Discuss the dichotomy between self and others in COSMICOMICS.
1) How are the characters in "All at One Point" separate from each other and yet unified? What role does the separation between self and others have in quibbling and pettiness? What role does the unification of separate individuals play in the expansion of the point at the end of the story?
2) In "Games without End," how is Pfwfp a reflection of Qfwfq? In what other stories are "others" a reflection of the narrator's self, and to what extent?
3) How are relatives, who share history and genetic makeup, a part of the characters in the story and in some ways an extension of the self?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the stories in COSMICOMICS revolve around love. Discuss love in Calvino's stories.
1) Who are the women that the central characters fall in love with? What attracts the central characters to women in the stories?
2) What do women love in the stories? How do the women interact with the men who love them, and with the ones they love?
3) Why are there no happy endings to the love stories in Calvino's collection? What ways does love end? What does this say about Calvino's attitude toward love?
Essay Topic 3
Characters in COSMICOMICS use reason and logic to different degrees to try to understand the universe. Discuss the role of reason and logic in COSMICOMICS.
1) How does Qfwfq use reason and logic to understand the universe in "How Much Shall We Bet?" What does Qfwfq miss about understanding the universe, through using reason and logic?
2) How does the narrator use reason and logic to understand the path of his fall and how to interact with other characters in "The Form of Space"? What role does reason and logic play in the narrator's personal relationships with the other characters?
3) How does Qfwfq's great-uncle use reason and logic to defend his position in "The Aquatic Uncle"? Why does his reason and logic break down when he is asked to make decisions about events that take place on land?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)