|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Pfwfp, compared to Qfwfq?
2. When asked if the sign was visible, how does Qfwfq respond?
3. What does Qfwfq suspect, when he figures out that Pfwfp is stockpiling hydrogen atoms?
4. Who does Qfwfq scold, after the family's planet first hits something?
5. In the game Qfwfq and Pfwfp play, what happens when two hydrogen atoms collide to create a deuterium or helium atom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ayl do when she comes from her hiding place with Qfwfq and sees the colors?
2. What argument does Qfwfq give that the Z'zus could not be properly described as immigrants?
3. What outstanding physical characteristics does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d have?
4. Why does Qfwfq fear making a third true sign?
5. Describe the visualization that all the people in the point have of Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 that leads to the Big Bang.
6. What object's beauty do Qfwfq and Ayl disagree about?
7. How does Mrs. Vhd Vhd act during her time trapped on the moon?
8. What does Qfwfq find that Pfwfp is doing when he follows his playmate?
9. Why does Qfwfq say that the sign is more important than its function of marking a place?
10. What traps Ayl at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In COSMICOMICS, objects and things outside the self often reflect the self to the outside world. Discuss the role of objects and belongings in COSMICOMICS, and their relationship to identity and self.
1) What is the role of the characters' outer appearance in reflecting their inner selves? How do Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore's appearances reflect their personalities? How does the mollusk's shell become an embodiment of the mollusk's self?
2) How do objects the characters create and acquire reflect themselves? How does the sign in space become a representation of Qfwfq? How do the hydrogen atoms and the galaxies the boys form in "Games Without End" become representations of the boys, and part of their comparisons with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Calvino's stories deal with communication between an individual and the world around him. Discuss communication in Calvino's stories.
1) In "The Light Years," how does the narrator communicate with others? What problems are there in communication?
2) In "The Form of Space," how does the narrator communicate with the other characters? What role does communication play in the story?
3) How well do the characters in COSMICOMICS communicate with the ones they love? How well, and in what way, do the characters communicate with their rivals?
4) In "A Sign in Space," how does Qfwfq communicate through his sign? What meaning and communication does Qfwfq receive from other signs? What is the role of communication in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of women in CosmicomicsCOSMICOMICS.
1) Compare Ayl, Lll, and Qfwfq's sister G'd(w)^n. How are these characters similar? Are their similarities related to their gender? Are their other female characters who share similarities? Are there female characters who contrast to these three women?
2) What attracts Qfwfq or the unnamed narrator to female love interests? What is the source of love? How does Qfwfq and the unnamed narrator perceive women?
3) Discuss Mrs. Ph(i)NK_0. How does she represent women? How is she treated differently from the other characters in "All at One Point"? How does she compare with representations of women in other stories?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)