|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Qfwfq find Mr. Hnw while Qfwfq is searching for his siblings?
2. When does Qfwfq see his sister again?
3. What do the characters use to climb up to the moon?
4. How does Qfwfq feel about Mrs. Ph(i)Nk_0's fate?
5. What does Pfwfp shout to Qfwfq as he pursues him in the new game?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the family and the planet after G'd(w)^n leaves?
2. How is the food that the characters collect from the moon made?
3. What does Qfwfq find that Pfwfp is doing when he follows his playmate?
4. How does Qfwfq react after he sees that his sign is obliterated?
5. How is Qfwfq and Pfwfp's final game resolved?
6. When Qfwfq's father says they are hitting something, why doesn't Qfwfq understand what he means?
7. How does Qfwfq try to help Mrs. Vhd Vhd get back down to Earth, after the moon begins behaving strangely?
8. How does Qfwfq describe the new atoms that are formed?
9. What outstanding physical characteristics does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d have?
10. What happens to Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several of the stories, a family forms the central group of characters. Discuss the portrayal and role of family in COSMICOMICS.
1) Discuss the family in "At Daybreak." What role does each family member play in the family as a whole? How does being a family affect the characters' interactions?
2) How are the communities in "The Distance of the Moon" and "All at One Point" similar to and different from families?
3) What role does family play in "The Aquatic Uncle"? How does the familial relationship between Qfwfq and his uncle affect the story?
4) What role does family play in "The Dinosaurs"? How does Fern-flower's relationship to her brother affect the story? What is the import of Qfwfq fathering a son?
Essay Topic 2
COSMICOMICS deals with the divisions that exist between the self and others, and the relationship of one's inner self to the society of others outside one's self. Discuss the dichotomy between self and others in COSMICOMICS.
1) How are the characters in "All at One Point" separate from each other and yet unified? What role does the separation between self and others have in quibbling and pettiness? What role does the unification of separate individuals play in the expansion of the point at the end of the story?
2) In "Games without End," how is Pfwfp a reflection of Qfwfq? In what other stories are "others" a reflection of the narrator's self, and to what extent?
3) How are relatives, who share history and genetic makeup, a part of the characters in the story and in some ways an extension of the self?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout COSMICOMICS, Qfwfq feels judged by others, and characters enter into petty squabbles with each other. Discuss judgment throughout COSMICOMICS.
1) In "A Sign in Space," why does Qfwfq feel judged? What reasons does he have to feel that others are judging him? How does he judge himself?
2) In "All at One Point," how do the characters judge and criticize each other? Why is Mrs. Ph(i)NK_0 immune to this judgmental behavior?
3) How do Qfwfq and his uncle judge each other in "The Aquatic Uncle"? Where do their opinions of each other stem from?
4) In "The Light-Years," why does the narrator feel judged? How does he judge himself? How does his perception of being judged affect his actions and his relationship with others?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)