|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Qfwfq see his sister again?
2. What does Pfwfp shout to Qfwfq as he pursues him in the new game?
3. Who has taken Granny's cushion?
4. How long is the sun's trip around the Milky Way?
5. What do the characters use to try to get Qfwfq and Mrs. Vhd Vhd down from the moon after they are trapped there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 at the end of the story?
2. Describe Mrs. Ph(i)Nk_0.
3. When Qfwfq's father says they are hitting something, why doesn't Qfwfq understand what he means?
4. How does Qfwfq try to help Mrs. Vhd Vhd get back down to Earth, after the moon begins behaving strangely?
5. What does Granny think is happening when light first appears?
6. Describe Qfwfq's creation of a galaxy.
7. How does Pfwfp disguise new atoms as old ones?
8. What does Qfwfq try to communicate with Ayl when they first meet?
9. Why does Qfwfq fear making a third true sign?
10. What outstanding physical characteristics does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because the stories in COSMICOMICS discuss the natural world examined by science, they address mankind's relationship to the natural world. Discuss the relationship between man and the natural world in COSMICOMICS.
1) What is the relationship between the world of mankind and the natural world of the mollusk in "The Spiral"?
2) How is mankind related to the evolution of the universe? How does life on Earth contrast with the natural world before life developed?
3) How do natural forces like evolution and changes in the universe affect characters in the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout COSMICOMICS, characters generate ideas for the first time and do or conceive of things before the things themselves, or integral parts of those things, exist. Discuss these prototypes in COSMICOMICS.
1) How does Qfwfq think about the first sign? What is the significance of the sign being the "first"? How does this prototype differ from later signs?
2) How does the society in the point in "All at One Point" function as a prototype of later societies that will exist in the expanded universe?
3) How do the characters in "How Much Shall We Bet?" create a prototype of betting? How does betting change as the universe develops?
4) Why are there so many prototypes throughout COSMICOMICS? How are they related to each other and to the themes of the story collection?
Essay Topic 3
COSMICOMICS deals with the divisions that exist between the self and others, and the relationship of one's inner self to the society of others outside one's self. Discuss the dichotomy between self and others in COSMICOMICS.
1) How are the characters in "All at One Point" separate from each other and yet unified? What role does the separation between self and others have in quibbling and pettiness? What role does the unification of separate individuals play in the expansion of the point at the end of the story?
2) In "Games without End," how is Pfwfp a reflection of Qfwfq? In what other stories are "others" a reflection of the narrator's self, and to what extent?
3) How are relatives, who share history and genetic makeup, a part of the characters in the story and in some ways an extension of the self?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)