|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qfwfq make in his secret storeroom?
2. Is the sign inside or outside the border of the galaxy?
3. What scientist's calculations are referred to in the opening to the story?
4. What makes the Earth colorless in the story?
5. What tools do the characters use to gather food from the moon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the New Ones' perception of dinosaurs change over the time Qfwfq is with them?
2. What explanation does the narrator give for caring about the opinion of whoever wrote the sign he first sees?
3. When Qfwfq's father says they are hitting something, why doesn't Qfwfq understand what he means?
4. What does Qfwfq try to communicate with Ayl when they first meet?
5. What does N'ba N'ga like about the water where he lives?
6. Which bets does Qfwfq find most satisfying?
7. Describe what Qfwfq thinks as he nears the end of the first galactic revolution and believes he's about to see his sign again.
8. Why does Qfwfq say he could not make an accurate guess as to how many beings their were at the point before the Big Bang?
9. What second enormous hand sign does the narrator make, and why?
10. What gives Qfwfq an advantage over Dean (k)yK when they bet during the early evolution of the universe?
Essay Topic 1
In COSMICOMICS, the characters exist over enormous periods of time, while astronomical events take place in the formation of the universe. Discuss the role of time in COSMICOMICS.
1) What role does time play in communication in "The Light-Years"? How does time affect the separation between individuals?
2) What is the role of time in "The Dinosaurs"? How does time change perception?
3) What is the effect of passing time on the characters? How does passing time affect older characters like Qfwfq's uncle in "The Aquatic Uncle," and his grandmother in "At Daybreak"?
4) What is the effect of astronomical lengths of time in the stories? How does the passage of astronomical lengths of time affect the betting in "How Much Shall We Bet?" and Qfwfq in "A Sign in Space"? How do the astronomical lengths of time in the novel affect the reader's understanding of Qfwfq?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout COSMICOMICS, perception affects and often creates reality. Discuss the relationship of perception and reality in COSMICOMICS.
1) How do others' opinions of Qfwfq (or the unnamed narrator) shape his opinion of himself and his actions in Calvino's stories?
2) In "All at One Point," how does shared perception create reality? Why is shared perception more powerful than individual perception?
3) How do the different characters' perceptions of change in "At Daybreak" and "Without Colors" affect their experience of reality?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout COSMICOMICS, Qfwfq and the unnamed narrator have rivalries with other characters. Discuss rivalry in COSMICOMICS.
1) The narrator has rivalries for love in "The Form of Space," "The Aquatic Uncle," and "The Distance of the Moon." How does love relate to rivalry? What causes the rivalries in these stories, and how are rivalries based on competing love unique?
2) The narrator has rivalries based on competition in "A Sign in Space," "Games without End," and "How Much Shall We Bet?" How does competition relate to rivalry? What causes the rivalries in these stories? How is competition resolved?
3) How are rivalries perpetuated in Calvino's stories?
This section contains 3,103 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)