|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Granny's cushion?
2. Does Qfwfq ever see any of the people from the point before the Big Bang anymore?
3. What does Earth's lack of color make difficult for Qfwfq?
4. When asked if the sign was visible, how does Qfwfq respond?
5. What is Mr. Pber^t Pber^d doing now?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ayl do when she comes from her hiding place with Qfwfq and sees the colors?
2. What happens to the family and the planet after G'd(w)^n leaves?
3. Describe what Qfwfq thinks as he nears the end of the first galactic revolution and believes he's about to see his sign again.
4. What does G'd(w)^n make once matter begins to condense?
5. What does Granny say has happened after the darkness comes again at the end of the story?
6. How does Qfwfq describe the new atoms that are formed?
7. What happens to Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 at the end of the story?
8. How does Pfwfp start acting strangely, as the game between him and Qfwfq goes on?
9. What are Ayl and Qfwfq's attitudes toward difference and sameness?
10. How does Mrs. Vhd Vhd act during her time trapped on the moon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout COSMICOMICS, Qfwfq feels judged by others, and characters enter into petty squabbles with each other. Discuss judgment throughout COSMICOMICS.
1) In "A Sign in Space," why does Qfwfq feel judged? What reasons does he have to feel that others are judging him? How does he judge himself?
2) In "All at One Point," how do the characters judge and criticize each other? Why is Mrs. Ph(i)NK_0 immune to this judgmental behavior?
3) How do Qfwfq and his uncle judge each other in "The Aquatic Uncle"? Where do their opinions of each other stem from?
4) In "The Light-Years," why does the narrator feel judged? How does he judge himself? How does his perception of being judged affect his actions and his relationship with others?
Essay Topic 2
In several of the stories, a family forms the central group of characters. Discuss the portrayal and role of family in COSMICOMICS.
1) Discuss the family in "At Daybreak." What role does each family member play in the family as a whole? How does being a family affect the characters' interactions?
2) How are the communities in "The Distance of the Moon" and "All at One Point" similar to and different from families?
3) What role does family play in "The Aquatic Uncle"? How does the familial relationship between Qfwfq and his uncle affect the story?
4) What role does family play in "The Dinosaurs"? How does Fern-flower's relationship to her brother affect the story? What is the import of Qfwfq fathering a son?
Essay Topic 3
Calvino's stories deal with communication between an individual and the world around him. Discuss communication in Calvino's stories.
1) In "The Light Years," how does the narrator communicate with others? What problems are there in communication?
2) In "The Form of Space," how does the narrator communicate with the other characters? What role does communication play in the story?
3) How well do the characters in COSMICOMICS communicate with the ones they love? How well, and in what way, do the characters communicate with their rivals?
4) In "A Sign in Space," how does Qfwfq communicate through his sign? What meaning and communication does Qfwfq receive from other signs? What is the role of communication in the story?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)