|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Granny's cushion?
2. How long is the sun's trip around the Milky Way?
3. Where does Qfwfq find Ayl after the colors appear?
4. What scientific theory is the story "Games without End" based on?
5. Who is the Deaf One's cousin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does N'ba N'ga like about the water where he lives?
2. Describe what Qfwfq thinks as he nears the end of the first galactic revolution and believes he's about to see his sign again.
3. What explanation does the narrator give for caring about the opinion of whoever wrote the sign he first sees?
4. Describe N'ba N'ga's objections to living on land.
5. How is Qfwfq and Pfwfp's final game resolved?
6. How is the sign like a name?
7. In the story, one of the characters accidentally floats up into the air. Describe how that character comes back down.
8. What does G'd(w)^n make once matter begins to condense?
9. How is the food that the characters collect from the moon made?
10. How does Pfwfp start acting strangely, as the game between him and Qfwfq goes on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the stories in COSMICOMICS deal with change and stasis, and the characters' reactions to changes in their world. Discuss change and stasis in COSMICOMICS.
1) Which of the stories in COSMICOMICS are set at moments of change in the development of the universe? How do the characters respond to change?
2) Are there patterns to how different types of characters respond to change in COSMICOMICS? How do women respond differently than men? How do older people respond differently to younger people?
3) What is the role of stasis in COSMICOMICS? In what way are the end of "Games without End" and the parallel falls in "The Form of Space" representations of stasis, in contrast to change represented in other stories?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in COSMICOMICS have strange names which use symbols not normally found in names. Discuss the characters' names in COSMICOMICS.
1) Why are the names of Qfwfq's rivals Pfwfp and Kgwgk so similar to Qfwfq's name?
2) Why do the characters have unpronounceable names, with mathematical symbols and numbers in them? What affect do the strange names have on the reader? How do the names relate to the scientific subject matter of the stories? How do the names relate to the fantasy elements of the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Characters in COSMICOMICS use reason and logic to different degrees to try to understand the universe. Discuss the role of reason and logic in COSMICOMICS.
1) How does Qfwfq use reason and logic to understand the universe in "How Much Shall We Bet?" What does Qfwfq miss about understanding the universe, through using reason and logic?
2) How does the narrator use reason and logic to understand the path of his fall and how to interact with other characters in "The Form of Space"? What role does reason and logic play in the narrator's personal relationships with the other characters?
3) How does Qfwfq's great-uncle use reason and logic to defend his position in "The Aquatic Uncle"? Why does his reason and logic break down when he is asked to make decisions about events that take place on land?
This section contains 3,020 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)