|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Qfwfq feel as he continues to wait to find his sign after the first galactic revolution?
2. What does Qwfwq find when he finally reaches the point that contained his sign?
3. What constantly strikes the Earth?
4. When Qfwfq initially makes his second sign, how does he see it in comparison to his first?
5. When does Qfwfq see his sister again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Qfwfq fear making a third true sign?
2. What happens to Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 at the end of the story?
3. Describe the visualization that all the people in the point have of Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 that leads to the Big Bang.
4. How is the sign like a name?
5. What does Qfwfq find that Pfwfp is doing when he follows his playmate?
6. What does Granny think is happening when light first appears?
7. Why does Qfwfq say he could not make an accurate guess as to how many beings their were at the point before the Big Bang?
8. How does Pfwfp start acting strangely, as the game between him and Qfwfq goes on?
9. What happens to the aunts and uncles when they leave?
10. When Qfwfq's father says they are hitting something, why doesn't Qfwfq understand what he means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several of the stories, a family forms the central group of characters. Discuss the portrayal and role of family in COSMICOMICS.
1) Discuss the family in "At Daybreak." What role does each family member play in the family as a whole? How does being a family affect the characters' interactions?
2) How are the communities in "The Distance of the Moon" and "All at One Point" similar to and different from families?
3) What role does family play in "The Aquatic Uncle"? How does the familial relationship between Qfwfq and his uncle affect the story?
4) What role does family play in "The Dinosaurs"? How does Fern-flower's relationship to her brother affect the story? What is the import of Qfwfq fathering a son?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the stories in COSMICOMICS revolve around love. Discuss love in Calvino's stories.
1) Who are the women that the central characters fall in love with? What attracts the central characters to women in the stories?
2) What do women love in the stories? How do the women interact with the men who love them, and with the ones they love?
3) Why are there no happy endings to the love stories in Calvino's collection? What ways does love end? What does this say about Calvino's attitude toward love?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of women in CosmicomicsCOSMICOMICS.
1) Compare Ayl, Lll, and Qfwfq's sister G'd(w)^n. How are these characters similar? Are their similarities related to their gender? Are their other female characters who share similarities? Are there female characters who contrast to these three women?
2) What attracts Qfwfq or the unnamed narrator to female love interests? What is the source of love? How does Qfwfq and the unnamed narrator perceive women?
3) Discuss Mrs. Ph(i)NK_0. How does she represent women? How is she treated differently from the other characters in "All at One Point"? How does she compare with representations of women in other stories?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)