|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Deaf One's cousin?
2. How does Ayl feel when she first sees Qfwfq?
3. What scientist's calculations are referred to in the opening to the story?
4. What shape is space in the story "Games without End"?
5. Where does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d end up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Qfwfq say that the sign is more important than its function of marking a place?
2. How does Qfwfq describe the new atoms that are formed?
3. How does Pfwfp disguise new atoms as old ones?
4. What does G'd(w)^n make once matter begins to condense?
5. Describe Mrs. Ph(i)Nk_0.
6. What argument does Qfwfq give that the Z'zus could not be properly described as immigrants?
7. What happens to the aunts and uncles when they leave?
8. What happens to the family and the planet after G'd(w)^n leaves?
9. How does Mrs. Vhd Vhd act during her time trapped on the moon?
10. When Qfwfq's father says they are hitting something, why doesn't Qfwfq understand what he means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of women in CosmicomicsCOSMICOMICS.
1) Compare Ayl, Lll, and Qfwfq's sister G'd(w)^n. How are these characters similar? Are their similarities related to their gender? Are their other female characters who share similarities? Are there female characters who contrast to these three women?
2) What attracts Qfwfq or the unnamed narrator to female love interests? What is the source of love? How does Qfwfq and the unnamed narrator perceive women?
3) Discuss Mrs. Ph(i)NK_0. How does she represent women? How is she treated differently from the other characters in "All at One Point"? How does she compare with representations of women in other stories?
Essay Topic 2
Because the stories in COSMICOMICS discuss the natural world examined by science, they address mankind's relationship to the natural world. Discuss the relationship between man and the natural world in COSMICOMICS.
1) What is the relationship between the world of mankind and the natural world of the mollusk in "The Spiral"?
2) How is mankind related to the evolution of the universe? How does life on Earth contrast with the natural world before life developed?
3) How do natural forces like evolution and changes in the universe affect characters in the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout COSMICOMICS, Qfwfq and the unnamed narrator have rivalries with other characters. Discuss rivalry in COSMICOMICS.
1) The narrator has rivalries for love in "The Form of Space," "The Aquatic Uncle," and "The Distance of the Moon." How does love relate to rivalry? What causes the rivalries in these stories, and how are rivalries based on competing love unique?
2) The narrator has rivalries based on competition in "A Sign in Space," "Games without End," and "How Much Shall We Bet?" How does competition relate to rivalry? What causes the rivalries in these stories? How is competition resolved?
3) How are rivalries perpetuated in Calvino's stories?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)