|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the game Qfwfq and Pfwfp play, what happens when two hydrogen atoms collide to create a deuterium or helium atom?
2. Who is Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0's lover?
3. Who is Qfwfq in love with?
4. When does Qfwfq see his sister again?
5. What begins to happen, after Mrs. Vhd Vhd climbs up to the moon behind the Deaf One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Qfwfq try to communicate with Ayl when they first meet?
2. What does G'd(w)^n make once matter begins to condense?
3. What outstanding physical characteristics does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d have?
4. Why does Qfwfq say that the sign is more important than its function of marking a place?
5. How does Qfwfq react after he sees that his sign is obliterated?
6. Describe Qfwfq's creation of a galaxy.
7. What causes the narrator's suspicions about the female he encounters?
8. Why does the narrator not want to show his desire to meet Ursula at the beginning of the story "The Form of Space"?
9. What does Ayl do when she comes from her hiding place with Qfwfq and sees the colors?
10. How does Mrs. Vhd Vhd act during her time trapped on the moon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In COSMICOMICS, the characters exist over enormous periods of time, while astronomical events take place in the formation of the universe. Discuss the role of time in COSMICOMICS.
1) What role does time play in communication in "The Light-Years"? How does time affect the separation between individuals?
2) What is the role of time in "The Dinosaurs"? How does time change perception?
3) What is the effect of passing time on the characters? How does passing time affect older characters like Qfwfq's uncle in "The Aquatic Uncle," and his grandmother in "At Daybreak"?
4) What is the effect of astronomical lengths of time in the stories? How does the passage of astronomical lengths of time affect the betting in "How Much Shall We Bet?" and Qfwfq in "A Sign in Space"? How do the astronomical lengths of time in the novel affect the reader's understanding of Qfwfq?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout COSMICOMICS, characters generate ideas for the first time and do or conceive of things before the things themselves, or integral parts of those things, exist. Discuss these prototypes in COSMICOMICS.
1) How does Qfwfq think about the first sign? What is the significance of the sign being the "first"? How does this prototype differ from later signs?
2) How does the society in the point in "All at One Point" function as a prototype of later societies that will exist in the expanded universe?
3) How do the characters in "How Much Shall We Bet?" create a prototype of betting? How does betting change as the universe develops?
4) Why are there so many prototypes throughout COSMICOMICS? How are they related to each other and to the themes of the story collection?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout COSMICOMICS, Qfwfq and the unnamed narrator have rivalries with other characters. Discuss rivalry in COSMICOMICS.
1) The narrator has rivalries for love in "The Form of Space," "The Aquatic Uncle," and "The Distance of the Moon." How does love relate to rivalry? What causes the rivalries in these stories, and how are rivalries based on competing love unique?
2) The narrator has rivalries based on competition in "A Sign in Space," "Games without End," and "How Much Shall We Bet?" How does competition relate to rivalry? What causes the rivalries in these stories? How is competition resolved?
3) How are rivalries perpetuated in Calvino's stories?
This section contains 2,959 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)