|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the sun's trip around the Milky Way?
2. What does Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 want to make for everyone?
3. How does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d feel about Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0?
4. Besides color, what is missing from the Earth?
5. Is the sign inside or outside the border of the galaxy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the sign like a name?
2. What skills does the Deaf One have that make it easiest for him to climb up to the moon?
3. What does Granny say has happened after the darkness comes again at the end of the story?
4. What does Qfwfq find that Pfwfp is doing when he follows his playmate?
5. How does Qfwfq describe the new atoms that are formed?
6. How does Mrs. Vhd Vhd act during her time trapped on the moon?
7. When Qfwfq's father says they are hitting something, why doesn't Qfwfq understand what he means?
8. What traps Ayl at the end of the story?
9. What happens to the aunts and uncles when they leave?
10. Why does Qfwfq say he could not make an accurate guess as to how many beings their were at the point before the Big Bang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout COSMICOMICS, Qfwfq feels judged by others, and characters enter into petty squabbles with each other. Discuss judgment throughout COSMICOMICS.
1) In "A Sign in Space," why does Qfwfq feel judged? What reasons does he have to feel that others are judging him? How does he judge himself?
2) In "All at One Point," how do the characters judge and criticize each other? Why is Mrs. Ph(i)NK_0 immune to this judgmental behavior?
3) How do Qfwfq and his uncle judge each other in "The Aquatic Uncle"? Where do their opinions of each other stem from?
4) In "The Light-Years," why does the narrator feel judged? How does he judge himself? How does his perception of being judged affect his actions and his relationship with others?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout COSMICOMICS, characters generate ideas for the first time and do or conceive of things before the things themselves, or integral parts of those things, exist. Discuss these prototypes in COSMICOMICS.
1) How does Qfwfq think about the first sign? What is the significance of the sign being the "first"? How does this prototype differ from later signs?
2) How does the society in the point in "All at One Point" function as a prototype of later societies that will exist in the expanded universe?
3) How do the characters in "How Much Shall We Bet?" create a prototype of betting? How does betting change as the universe develops?
4) Why are there so many prototypes throughout COSMICOMICS? How are they related to each other and to the themes of the story collection?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout COSMICOMICS, perception affects and often creates reality. Discuss the relationship of perception and reality in COSMICOMICS.
1) How do others' opinions of Qfwfq (or the unnamed narrator) shape his opinion of himself and his actions in Calvino's stories?
2) In "All at One Point," how does shared perception create reality? Why is shared perception more powerful than individual perception?
3) How do the different characters' perceptions of change in "At Daybreak" and "Without Colors" affect their experience of reality?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)