|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the characters use to try to get Qfwfq and Mrs. Vhd Vhd down from the moon after they are trapped there?
2. Where does Qfwfq find Mr. Hnw while Qfwfq is searching for his siblings?
3. How does Qfwfq feel about his grandmother's cushion?
4. Who knows about Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0's sexual affair?
5. Who is Qfwfq in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Qfwfq's creation of a galaxy.
2. What does Qfwfq try to communicate with Ayl when they first meet?
3. What does Ayl do when she comes from her hiding place with Qfwfq and sees the colors?
4. When Qfwfq's father says they are hitting something, why doesn't Qfwfq understand what he means?
5. Describe Mrs. Ph(i)Nk_0.
6. How does Qfwfq try to help Mrs. Vhd Vhd get back down to Earth, after the moon begins behaving strangely?
7. What happens to the aunts and uncles when they leave?
8. Why does Qfwfq say he could not make an accurate guess as to how many beings their were at the point before the Big Bang?
9. What happens to the family and the planet after G'd(w)^n leaves?
10. How does the Deaf One act while the moon is further away from the Earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In COSMICOMICS, objects and things outside the self often reflect the self to the outside world. Discuss the role of objects and belongings in COSMICOMICS, and their relationship to identity and self.
1) What is the role of the characters' outer appearance in reflecting their inner selves? How do Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore's appearances reflect their personalities? How does the mollusk's shell become an embodiment of the mollusk's self?
2) How do objects the characters create and acquire reflect themselves? How does the sign in space become a representation of Qfwfq? How do the hydrogen atoms and the galaxies the boys form in "Games Without End" become representations of the boys, and part of their comparisons with each other?
Essay Topic 2
In several of the stories, a family forms the central group of characters. Discuss the portrayal and role of family in COSMICOMICS.
1) Discuss the family in "At Daybreak." What role does each family member play in the family as a whole? How does being a family affect the characters' interactions?
2) How are the communities in "The Distance of the Moon" and "All at One Point" similar to and different from families?
3) What role does family play in "The Aquatic Uncle"? How does the familial relationship between Qfwfq and his uncle affect the story?
4) What role does family play in "The Dinosaurs"? How does Fern-flower's relationship to her brother affect the story? What is the import of Qfwfq fathering a son?
Essay Topic 3
COSMICOMICS deals with the divisions that exist between the self and others, and the relationship of one's inner self to the society of others outside one's self. Discuss the dichotomy between self and others in COSMICOMICS.
1) How are the characters in "All at One Point" separate from each other and yet unified? What role does the separation between self and others have in quibbling and pettiness? What role does the unification of separate individuals play in the expansion of the point at the end of the story?
2) In "Games without End," how is Pfwfp a reflection of Qfwfq? In what other stories are "others" a reflection of the narrator's self, and to what extent?
3) How are relatives, who share history and genetic makeup, a part of the characters in the story and in some ways an extension of the self?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)