|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape is space in the story "Games without End"?
2. How often does the moon return to its position, close to the Earth?
3. What do the characters use to climb up to the moon?
4. What scientific theory is the story "Games without End" based on?
5. What toy does Qfwfq compare hydrogen atoms to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the food that the characters collect from the moon made?
2. How does Qfwfq try to help Mrs. Vhd Vhd get back down to Earth, after the moon begins behaving strangely?
3. In the story, one of the characters accidentally floats up into the air. Describe how that character comes back down.
4. What does Granny think is happening when light first appears?
5. What outstanding physical characteristics does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d have?
6. What skills does the Deaf One have that make it easiest for him to climb up to the moon?
7. What argument does Qfwfq give that the Z'zus could not be properly described as immigrants?
8. What traps Ayl at the end of the story?
9. What object's beauty do Qfwfq and Ayl disagree about?
10. Why does Qfwfq fear making a third true sign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each story in COSMICOMICS is based on a snippet of information about science. Discuss the role of science in Calvino's stories.
1) How does the author choose the science information to base the stories on? Why are some of the science ideas and theories ones that have been disproved?
2) What role does science play in the stories themselves? Why does Calvino make his stories fantastical, and what relationship does the fantastical have to science?
3) What is Calvino's attitude toward science in COSMICOMICS?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the stories in COSMICOMICS deal with change and stasis, and the characters' reactions to changes in their world. Discuss change and stasis in COSMICOMICS.
1) Which of the stories in COSMICOMICS are set at moments of change in the development of the universe? How do the characters respond to change?
2) Are there patterns to how different types of characters respond to change in COSMICOMICS? How do women respond differently than men? How do older people respond differently to younger people?
3) What is the role of stasis in COSMICOMICS? In what way are the end of "Games without End" and the parallel falls in "The Form of Space" representations of stasis, in contrast to change represented in other stories?
Essay Topic 3
Characters in COSMICOMICS use reason and logic to different degrees to try to understand the universe. Discuss the role of reason and logic in COSMICOMICS.
1) How does Qfwfq use reason and logic to understand the universe in "How Much Shall We Bet?" What does Qfwfq miss about understanding the universe, through using reason and logic?
2) How does the narrator use reason and logic to understand the path of his fall and how to interact with other characters in "The Form of Space"? What role does reason and logic play in the narrator's personal relationships with the other characters?
3) How does Qfwfq's great-uncle use reason and logic to defend his position in "The Aquatic Uncle"? Why does his reason and logic break down when he is asked to make decisions about events that take place on land?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)