|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man G'd(w)^n eventually marries?
2. What does Qfwfq say made the sign recognizable?
3. What fields do Qfwfq and his playmate have to consider in their game?
4. How old is Qfwfq in At Daybreak?
5. What begins to happen, after Mrs. Vhd Vhd climbs up to the moon behind the Deaf One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skills does the Deaf One have that make it easiest for him to climb up to the moon?
2. What does the narrator think the first sign he sees is referring to?
3. How does Qfwfq describe the new atoms that are formed?
4. What gives Qfwfq an advantage over Dean (k)yK when they bet during the early evolution of the universe?
5. How does the narrator describe being with Ursula H'x when their routes intersect?
6. Describe N'ba N'ga's objections to living on land.
7. How does Qfwfq react after he sees that his sign is obliterated?
8. Why does Qfwfq say he could not make an accurate guess as to how many beings their were at the point before the Big Bang?
9. How does Mrs. Vhd Vhd act during her time trapped on the moon?
10. Describe Qfwfq's creation of a galaxy.
Essay Topic 1
Because the stories in COSMICOMICS discuss the natural world examined by science, they address mankind's relationship to the natural world. Discuss the relationship between man and the natural world in COSMICOMICS.
1) What is the relationship between the world of mankind and the natural world of the mollusk in "The Spiral"?
2) How is mankind related to the evolution of the universe? How does life on Earth contrast with the natural world before life developed?
3) How do natural forces like evolution and changes in the universe affect characters in the stories?
Essay Topic 2
In science, future events are predicable, based on physical laws. From this standpoint of predictable physical laws, it's possible to argue that with enough information, every aspect of the world is fated and predictable. Explain the role that fate and predictability plays in COSMICOMICS and Calvino's point of view on predetermination.
1) How are physical events of the universe predictable in Calvino's stories, such as "How Much Shall We Bet?" and "Games without End"? How are characters in tune with nature and able to predict what will happen, including Qfwfq and the Deaf One, in various stories?
2) How predictable is human nature in Calvino's stories? What elements make human choice less predictable than physical laws?
3) What is Calvino's point of view on predetermination? Are the characters' lives fated, much as the formation of stars is fated?
Essay Topic 3
The stories in COSMICOMICS take place at different points of the universe, where distance and space play an important role. Discuss space and distance in COSMICOMICS.
1) What role does space and distance play in "All at One Point"? How does the confinement of a single point of space compare to the expanded universe and affect characters' perceptions and behaviors?
2) What role does space and distance play in "The Distance of the Moon" and "The Form of Space"? How does distance relate to love and attraction?
3) What role does space and distance play in "Games Without End?" What does the ending of the story say about space and distance?
This section contains 3,036 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)