Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qfwfq complain about the Z'zu family wanting to do?
2. How does Qfwfq feel as he continues to wait to find his sign after the first galactic revolution?
3. How does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d feel about Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0?
4. Who is the Deaf One in love with?
5. How does Qfwfq personify the other galaxies he goes by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Qfwfq say that the sign is more important than its function of marking a place?
2. How does Qfwfq describe Dean (k)yK, on a typical day in the present?
3. How does Lll react when she first meets N'ba N'ga?
4. What happens to Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 at the end of the story?
5. What outstanding physical characteristics does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d have?
6. Describe Qfwfq's creation of a galaxy.
7. How is the food that the characters collect from the moon made?
8. What object's beauty do Qfwfq and Ayl disagree about?
9. What is the attitude of the New Ones to the Dinosaurs, when Qfwfq first encounters the New Ones after his period of isolation?
10. Why does the narrator get an enormous sign of a hand with a pointing finger?
Essay Topic 1
Each story in COSMICOMICS is based on a snippet of information about science. Discuss the role of science in Calvino's stories.
1) How does the author choose the science information to base the stories on? Why are some of the science ideas and theories ones that have been disproved?
2) What role does science play in the stories themselves? Why does Calvino make his stories fantastical, and what relationship does the fantastical have to science?
3) What is Calvino's attitude toward science in COSMICOMICS?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the stories in COSMICOMICS revolve around love. Discuss love in Calvino's stories.
1) Who are the women that the central characters fall in love with? What attracts the central characters to women in the stories?
2) What do women love in the stories? How do the women interact with the men who love them, and with the ones they love?
3) Why are there no happy endings to the love stories in Calvino's collection? What ways does love end? What does this say about Calvino's attitude toward love?
Essay Topic 3
Because the stories in COSMICOMICS discuss the natural world examined by science, they address mankind's relationship to the natural world. Discuss the relationship between man and the natural world in COSMICOMICS.
1) What is the relationship between the world of mankind and the natural world of the mollusk in "The Spiral"?
2) How is mankind related to the evolution of the universe? How does life on Earth contrast with the natural world before life developed?
3) How do natural forces like evolution and changes in the universe affect characters in the stories?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)