Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qfwfq complain about the Z'zu family wanting to do?
2. How does Qfwfq feel as he continues to wait to find his sign after the first galactic revolution?
3. How does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d feel about Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0?
4. Who is the Deaf One in love with?
5. How does Qfwfq personify the other galaxies he goes by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Qfwfq say that the sign is more important than its function of marking a place?
2. How does Qfwfq describe Dean (k)yK, on a typical day in the present?
3. How does Lll react when she first meets N'ba N'ga?
4. What happens to Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 at the end of the story?
5. What outstanding physical characteristics does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d have?
6. Describe Qfwfq's creation of a galaxy.
7. How is the food that the characters collect from the moon made?
8. What object's beauty do Qfwfq and Ayl disagree about?
9. What is the attitude of the New Ones to the Dinosaurs, when Qfwfq first encounters the New Ones after his period of isolation?
10. Why does the narrator get an enormous sign of a hand with a pointing finger?
Essay Topic 1
Many of the stories in COSMICOMICS deal with change and stasis, and the characters' reactions to changes in their world. Discuss change and stasis in COSMICOMICS.
1) Which of the stories in COSMICOMICS are set at moments of change in the development of the universe? How do the characters respond to change?
2) Are there patterns to how different types of characters respond to change in COSMICOMICS? How do women respond differently than men? How do older people respond differently to younger people?
3) What is the role of stasis in COSMICOMICS? In what way are the end of "Games without End" and the parallel falls in "The Form of Space" representations of stasis, in contrast to change represented in other stories?
Essay Topic 2
Characters in COSMICOMICS use reason and logic to different degrees to try to understand the universe. Discuss the role of reason and logic in COSMICOMICS.
1) How does Qfwfq use reason and logic to understand the universe in "How Much Shall We Bet?" What does Qfwfq miss about understanding the universe, through using reason and logic?
2) How does the narrator use reason and logic to understand the path of his fall and how to interact with other characters in "The Form of Space"? What role does reason and logic play in the narrator's personal relationships with the other characters?
3) How does Qfwfq's great-uncle use reason and logic to defend his position in "The Aquatic Uncle"? Why does his reason and logic break down when he is asked to make decisions about events that take place on land?
Essay Topic 3
In science, future events are predicable, based on physical laws. From this standpoint of predictable physical laws, it's possible to argue that with enough information, every aspect of the world is fated and predictable. Explain the role that fate and predictability plays in COSMICOMICS and Calvino's point of view on predetermination.
1) How are physical events of the universe predictable in Calvino's stories, such as "How Much Shall We Bet?" and "Games without End"? How are characters in tune with nature and able to predict what will happen, including Qfwfq and the Deaf One, in various stories?
2) How predictable is human nature in Calvino's stories? What elements make human choice less predictable than physical laws?
3) What is Calvino's point of view on predetermination? Are the characters' lives fated, much as the formation of stars is fated?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)