|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qfwfq complain about the Z'zu family wanting to do?
2. How does Qfwfq feel as he continues to wait to find his sign after the first galactic revolution?
3. How does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d feel about Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0?
4. Who is the Deaf One in love with?
5. How does Qfwfq personify the other galaxies he goes by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Qfwfq say that the sign is more important than its function of marking a place?
2. How does Qfwfq describe Dean (k)yK, on a typical day in the present?
3. How does Lll react when she first meets N'ba N'ga?
4. What happens to Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 at the end of the story?
5. What outstanding physical characteristics does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d have?
6. Describe Qfwfq's creation of a galaxy.
7. How is the food that the characters collect from the moon made?
8. What object's beauty do Qfwfq and Ayl disagree about?
9. What is the attitude of the New Ones to the Dinosaurs, when Qfwfq first encounters the New Ones after his period of isolation?
10. Why does the narrator get an enormous sign of a hand with a pointing finger?
Essay Topic 1
In COSMICOMICS, the characters exist over enormous periods of time, while astronomical events take place in the formation of the universe. Discuss the role of time in COSMICOMICS.
1) What role does time play in communication in "The Light-Years"? How does time affect the separation between individuals?
2) What is the role of time in "The Dinosaurs"? How does time change perception?
3) What is the effect of passing time on the characters? How does passing time affect older characters like Qfwfq's uncle in "The Aquatic Uncle," and his grandmother in "At Daybreak"?
4) What is the effect of astronomical lengths of time in the stories? How does the passage of astronomical lengths of time affect the betting in "How Much Shall We Bet?" and Qfwfq in "A Sign in Space"? How do the astronomical lengths of time in the novel affect the reader's understanding of Qfwfq?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the stories in COSMICOMICS deal with change and stasis, and the characters' reactions to changes in their world. Discuss change and stasis in COSMICOMICS.
1) Which of the stories in COSMICOMICS are set at moments of change in the development of the universe? How do the characters respond to change?
2) Are there patterns to how different types of characters respond to change in COSMICOMICS? How do women respond differently than men? How do older people respond differently to younger people?
3) What is the role of stasis in COSMICOMICS? In what way are the end of "Games without End" and the parallel falls in "The Form of Space" representations of stasis, in contrast to change represented in other stories?
Essay Topic 3
Calvino's stories often center around signs and symbols. Discuss the role of signs and symbols in COSMICOMICS.
1) Discuss signs in "A Sign in Space." What is Qfwfq's first sign meant to represent? How does its meaning and function change over the course of the story? What does the story say about the nature of signs?
2) Discuss signs in "The Light-Years." How do the signs in "The Light-Years" compare to those in "A Sign in Space"? What is the function of signs? What problems do signs present?
3) What signs and symbols appear in other stories? How do the characters use signs and symbols and interpret them?
This section contains 3,015 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)