Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qfwfq complain about the Z'zu family wanting to do?
2. How does Qfwfq feel as he continues to wait to find his sign after the first galactic revolution?
3. How does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d feel about Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0?
4. Who is the Deaf One in love with?
5. How does Qfwfq personify the other galaxies he goes by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Qfwfq say that the sign is more important than its function of marking a place?
2. How does Qfwfq describe Dean (k)yK, on a typical day in the present?
3. How does Lll react when she first meets N'ba N'ga?
4. What happens to Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 at the end of the story?
5. What outstanding physical characteristics does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d have?
6. Describe Qfwfq's creation of a galaxy.
7. How is the food that the characters collect from the moon made?
8. What object's beauty do Qfwfq and Ayl disagree about?
9. What is the attitude of the New Ones to the Dinosaurs, when Qfwfq first encounters the New Ones after his period of isolation?
10. Why does the narrator get an enormous sign of a hand with a pointing finger?
Each story in COSMICOMICS is based on a snippet of information about science. Discuss the role of science in Calvino's stories.
1) How does the author choose the science information to base the stories on? Why are some of the science ideas and theories ones that have been disproved?
2) What role does science play in the stories themselves? Why does Calvino make his stories fantastical, and what relationship does the fantastical have to science?
3) What is Calvino's attitude toward science in COSMICOMICS?
Throughout COSMICOMICS, perception affects and often creates reality. Discuss the relationship of perception and reality in COSMICOMICS.
1) How do others' opinions of Qfwfq (or the unnamed narrator) shape his opinion of himself and his actions in Calvino's stories?
2) In "All at One Point," how does shared perception create reality? Why is shared perception more powerful than individual perception?
3) How do the different characters' perceptions of change in "At Daybreak" and "Without Colors" affect their experience of reality?
In COSMICOMICS, objects and things outside the self often reflect the self to the outside world. Discuss the role of objects and belongings in COSMICOMICS, and their relationship to identity and self.
1) What is the role of the characters' outer appearance in reflecting their inner selves? How do Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore's appearances reflect their personalities? How does the mollusk's shell become an embodiment of the mollusk's self?
2) How do objects the characters create and acquire reflect themselves? How does the sign in space become a representation of Qfwfq? How do the hydrogen atoms and the galaxies the boys form in "Games Without End" become representations of the boys, and part of their comparisons with each other?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)