Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qfwfq complain about the Z'zu family wanting to do?
2. How does Qfwfq feel as he continues to wait to find his sign after the first galactic revolution?
3. How does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d feel about Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0?
4. Who is the Deaf One in love with?
5. How does Qfwfq personify the other galaxies he goes by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Qfwfq say that the sign is more important than its function of marking a place?
2. How does Qfwfq describe Dean (k)yK, on a typical day in the present?
3. How does Lll react when she first meets N'ba N'ga?
4. What happens to Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 at the end of the story?
5. What outstanding physical characteristics does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d have?
6. Describe Qfwfq's creation of a galaxy.
7. How is the food that the characters collect from the moon made?
8. What object's beauty do Qfwfq and Ayl disagree about?
9. What is the attitude of the New Ones to the Dinosaurs, when Qfwfq first encounters the New Ones after his period of isolation?
10. Why does the narrator get an enormous sign of a hand with a pointing finger?
The stories in COSMICOMICS take place at different points of the universe, where distance and space play an important role. Discuss space and distance in COSMICOMICS.
1) What role does space and distance play in "All at One Point"? How does the confinement of a single point of space compare to the expanded universe and affect characters' perceptions and behaviors?
2) What role does space and distance play in "The Distance of the Moon" and "The Form of Space"? How does distance relate to love and attraction?
3) What role does space and distance play in "Games Without End?" What does the ending of the story say about space and distance?
Throughout COSMICOMICS, characters generate ideas for the first time and do or conceive of things before the things themselves, or integral parts of those things, exist. Discuss these prototypes in COSMICOMICS.
1) How does Qfwfq think about the first sign? What is the significance of the sign being the "first"? How does this prototype differ from later signs?
2) How does the society in the point in "All at One Point" function as a prototype of later societies that will exist in the expanded universe?
3) How do the characters in "How Much Shall We Bet?" create a prototype of betting? How does betting change as the universe develops?
4) Why are there so many prototypes throughout COSMICOMICS? How are they related to each other and to the themes of the story collection?
In science, future events are predicable, based on physical laws. From this standpoint of predictable physical laws, it's possible to argue that with enough information, every aspect of the world is fated and predictable. Explain the role that fate and predictability plays in COSMICOMICS and Calvino's point of view on predetermination.
1) How are physical events of the universe predictable in Calvino's stories, such as "How Much Shall We Bet?" and "Games without End"? How are characters in tune with nature and able to predict what will happen, including Qfwfq and the Deaf One, in various stories?
2) How predictable is human nature in Calvino's stories? What elements make human choice less predictable than physical laws?
3) What is Calvino's point of view on predetermination? Are the characters' lives fated, much as the formation of stars is fated?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)