|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d feel about Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0?
2. What has opened up fissures in the ground?
3. What warms the Earth at night?
4. Who does Grandma Bb'b think stole her cushion?
5. Where does Qfwfq find Ayl after the colors appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Qfwfq and Pfwfp's final game resolved?
2. What happens to the family and the planet after G'd(w)^n leaves?
3. What does Granny think is happening when light first appears?
4. Why does Qfwfq say he could not make an accurate guess as to how many beings their were at the point before the Big Bang?
5. Why does Qfwfq fear making a third true sign?
6. How does Qfwfq react after he sees that his sign is obliterated?
7. What object's beauty do Qfwfq and Ayl disagree about?
8. What traps Ayl at the end of the story?
9. What does Qfwfq try to communicate with Ayl when they first meet?
10. What outstanding physical characteristics does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout COSMICOMICS, Qfwfq feels judged by others, and characters enter into petty squabbles with each other. Discuss judgment throughout COSMICOMICS.
1) In "A Sign in Space," why does Qfwfq feel judged? What reasons does he have to feel that others are judging him? How does he judge himself?
2) In "All at One Point," how do the characters judge and criticize each other? Why is Mrs. Ph(i)NK_0 immune to this judgmental behavior?
3) How do Qfwfq and his uncle judge each other in "The Aquatic Uncle"? Where do their opinions of each other stem from?
4) In "The Light-Years," why does the narrator feel judged? How does he judge himself? How does his perception of being judged affect his actions and his relationship with others?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the stories in COSMICOMICS revolve around love. Discuss love in Calvino's stories.
1) Who are the women that the central characters fall in love with? What attracts the central characters to women in the stories?
2) What do women love in the stories? How do the women interact with the men who love them, and with the ones they love?
3) Why are there no happy endings to the love stories in Calvino's collection? What ways does love end? What does this say about Calvino's attitude toward love?
Essay Topic 3
In COSMICOMICS, objects and things outside the self often reflect the self to the outside world. Discuss the role of objects and belongings in COSMICOMICS, and their relationship to identity and self.
1) What is the role of the characters' outer appearance in reflecting their inner selves? How do Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore's appearances reflect their personalities? How does the mollusk's shell become an embodiment of the mollusk's self?
2) How do objects the characters create and acquire reflect themselves? How does the sign in space become a representation of Qfwfq? How do the hydrogen atoms and the galaxies the boys form in "Games Without End" become representations of the boys, and part of their comparisons with each other?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)