|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qfwfq do while looking for his siblings, so that the others can keep track of where he is?
2. How does Ayl feel when she first sees Qfwfq?
3. Who is Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0's lover?
4. What scientific theory is the story "Games without End" based on?
5. Why does Qfwfq make a sign?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Qfwfq say that the sign is more important than its function of marking a place?
2. Describe Qfwfq's creation of a galaxy.
3. How does Pfwfp start acting strangely, as the game between him and Qfwfq goes on?
4. Describe what Qfwfq thinks as he nears the end of the first galactic revolution and believes he's about to see his sign again.
5. What argument does Qfwfq give that the Z'zus could not be properly described as immigrants?
6. How is Qfwfq and Pfwfp's final game resolved?
7. What happens to the aunts and uncles when they leave?
8. What happens to Mrs. Ph(i)nK_0 at the end of the story?
9. How does Mrs. Vhd Vhd act during her time trapped on the moon?
10. What skills does the Deaf One have that make it easiest for him to climb up to the moon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The stories in COSMICOMICS take place at different points of the universe, where distance and space play an important role. Discuss space and distance in COSMICOMICS.
1) What role does space and distance play in "All at One Point"? How does the confinement of a single point of space compare to the expanded universe and affect characters' perceptions and behaviors?
2) What role does space and distance play in "The Distance of the Moon" and "The Form of Space"? How does distance relate to love and attraction?
3) What role does space and distance play in "Games Without End?" What does the ending of the story say about space and distance?
Essay Topic 2
Because the stories in COSMICOMICS discuss the natural world examined by science, they address mankind's relationship to the natural world. Discuss the relationship between man and the natural world in COSMICOMICS.
1) What is the relationship between the world of mankind and the natural world of the mollusk in "The Spiral"?
2) How is mankind related to the evolution of the universe? How does life on Earth contrast with the natural world before life developed?
3) How do natural forces like evolution and changes in the universe affect characters in the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Calvino's stories often center around signs and symbols. Discuss the role of signs and symbols in COSMICOMICS.
1) Discuss signs in "A Sign in Space." What is Qfwfq's first sign meant to represent? How does its meaning and function change over the course of the story? What does the story say about the nature of signs?
2) Discuss signs in "The Light-Years." How do the signs in "The Light-Years" compare to those in "A Sign in Space"? What is the function of signs? What problems do signs present?
3) What signs and symbols appear in other stories? How do the characters use signs and symbols and interpret them?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)