|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Vhd Vhd at the end of the story?
2. How does Qfwfq get Ayl to come with him?
3. What scientific theory is the story "Games without End" based on?
4. Where does Qfwfq later meet Ayl again?
5. How do the people on the moon get back to Earth, after the moon starts behaving strangely?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the family and the planet after G'd(w)^n leaves?
2. Describe what Qfwfq thinks as he nears the end of the first galactic revolution and believes he's about to see his sign again.
3. What happens to the aunts and uncles when they leave?
4. What skills does the Deaf One have that make it easiest for him to climb up to the moon?
5. What outstanding physical characteristics does Mr. Pber^t Pber^d have?
6. What argument does Qfwfq give that the Z'zus could not be properly described as immigrants?
7. How does Qfwfq react after he sees that his sign is obliterated?
8. When Qfwfq finally sees Ayl again, after the meteor flying overhead, how does he lure her away from her friends?
9. When Qfwfq's father says they are hitting something, why doesn't Qfwfq understand what he means?
10. In the story, one of the characters accidentally floats up into the air. Describe how that character comes back down.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters in COSMICOMICS use reason and logic to different degrees to try to understand the universe. Discuss the role of reason and logic in COSMICOMICS.
1) How does Qfwfq use reason and logic to understand the universe in "How Much Shall We Bet?" What does Qfwfq miss about understanding the universe, through using reason and logic?
2) How does the narrator use reason and logic to understand the path of his fall and how to interact with other characters in "The Form of Space"? What role does reason and logic play in the narrator's personal relationships with the other characters?
3) How does Qfwfq's great-uncle use reason and logic to defend his position in "The Aquatic Uncle"? Why does his reason and logic break down when he is asked to make decisions about events that take place on land?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of women in CosmicomicsCOSMICOMICS.
1) Compare Ayl, Lll, and Qfwfq's sister G'd(w)^n. How are these characters similar? Are their similarities related to their gender? Are their other female characters who share similarities? Are there female characters who contrast to these three women?
2) What attracts Qfwfq or the unnamed narrator to female love interests? What is the source of love? How does Qfwfq and the unnamed narrator perceive women?
3) Discuss Mrs. Ph(i)NK_0. How does she represent women? How is she treated differently from the other characters in "All at One Point"? How does she compare with representations of women in other stories?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in COSMICOMICS have strange names which use symbols not normally found in names. Discuss the characters' names in COSMICOMICS.
1) Why are the names of Qfwfq's rivals Pfwfp and Kgwgk so similar to Qfwfq's name?
2) Why do the characters have unpronounceable names, with mathematical symbols and numbers in them? What affect do the strange names have on the reader? How do the names relate to the scientific subject matter of the stories? How do the names relate to the fantasy elements of the stories?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)