|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qfwfq do when he locates Ayl?
2. When does Qfwfq see his sister again?
3. Who is the first person Qfwfq complains about living so close to?
4. Who would Mr. Pber^t Pber^d like to keep out if the universe condenses to a point again?
5. What does Qfwfq complain about the Z'zu family wanting to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Ph(i)Nk_0.
2. What does G'd(w)^n make once matter begins to condense?
3. In the story, one of the characters accidentally floats up into the air. Describe how that character comes back down.
4. How does Mrs. Vhd Vhd act during her time trapped on the moon?
5. How is Qfwfq and Pfwfp's final game resolved?
6. Describe Qfwfq's creation of a galaxy.
7. What happens to the family and the planet after G'd(w)^n leaves?
8. Why does Qfwfq fear making a third true sign?
9. How is the food that the characters collect from the moon made?
10. Why does Qfwfq say he could not make an accurate guess as to how many beings their were at the point before the Big Bang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout COSMICOMICS, Qfwfq and the unnamed narrator have rivalries with other characters. Discuss rivalry in COSMICOMICS.
1) The narrator has rivalries for love in "The Form of Space," "The Aquatic Uncle," and "The Distance of the Moon." How does love relate to rivalry? What causes the rivalries in these stories, and how are rivalries based on competing love unique?
2) The narrator has rivalries based on competition in "A Sign in Space," "Games without End," and "How Much Shall We Bet?" How does competition relate to rivalry? What causes the rivalries in these stories? How is competition resolved?
3) How are rivalries perpetuated in Calvino's stories?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the stories in COSMICOMICS revolve around love. Discuss love in Calvino's stories.
1) Who are the women that the central characters fall in love with? What attracts the central characters to women in the stories?
2) What do women love in the stories? How do the women interact with the men who love them, and with the ones they love?
3) Why are there no happy endings to the love stories in Calvino's collection? What ways does love end? What does this say about Calvino's attitude toward love?
Essay Topic 3
In several of the stories, a family forms the central group of characters. Discuss the portrayal and role of family in COSMICOMICS.
1) Discuss the family in "At Daybreak." What role does each family member play in the family as a whole? How does being a family affect the characters' interactions?
2) How are the communities in "The Distance of the Moon" and "All at One Point" similar to and different from families?
3) What role does family play in "The Aquatic Uncle"? How does the familial relationship between Qfwfq and his uncle affect the story?
4) What role does family play in "The Dinosaurs"? How does Fern-flower's relationship to her brother affect the story? What is the import of Qfwfq fathering a son?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)