|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ursula H'x do as she falls?
(a) She does calisthenics.
(b) She does her nails or combs her hair.
(c) She sleeps constantly.
(d) She plays music and sings.
2. In the world millions of years later, where does the narrator see the image of the first female mollusk he interacts with?
(b) In all women.
(c) In only one woman he sees for a fleeting moment.
(d) In only photographs and representations of women.
3. Why is the narrator certain Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore can't meet?
(a) They are all falling parallel to each other.
(b) Ursula H'x is completely contained in an inaccessible sphere.
(c) They cannot move as they fall.
(d) Lieutenant Fenimore and Ursula H'x are in separate dimensions.
4. What gives the narrator the idea that space has a shape and form?
(a) Watching Lieutenant Fenimore move.
(b) Watching his own unconscious movements.
(c) Watching universes fly by.
(d) Watching Ursula H'x move.
5. What unplanned benefit does the shell give the narrator?
(b) Physical attraction for females.
(d) A weapon.
6. When Fern-flower dreams of a dinosaur being teased, what does she do in the dream?
(a) She protects the dinosaur.
(b) She teases the dinosaur.
(c) She watches and finds it funny.
(d) She watches and finds it upsetting.
7. What does the narrator anticipate with relief at the end of "The Light-Years"?
(a) All the galaxies moving so far away that he can't communicate with them or change their opinions.
(b) The results of a final judgment on him from one central galaxy.
(c) A way finally emerging that he can communicate more fully across space, to make his situation clear.
(d) A time when the galaxies all contract back together and he can communnicate more quickly.
8. What does N'ba N'ga say his relatives get from living on land?
9. Who gives Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK the libraries, magazines, and computers they need for their calculations?
(a) A University Grant.
(b) A Government Agency.
(c) A Research Foundation.
(d) An International Conglomerate.
10. What does the narrator describe the making of his shell as?
(a) Self-expression, like an exclamation.
(b) Pleading, like reaching out his hands.
(c) Expansion, like taking new territory.
(d) Aggression, like punching outward.
11. How does Lieutenant Fenimore react when the narrator indicates he's seen a universe?
(a) He is contemptuous.
(b) He is irritated.
(c) He is horrified.
(d) He is thrilled.
12. What does the narrator say the sign "This time I like you." refers to?
(a) The time he locked himself out of his house.
(b) The time he ignored the doorbell because he didn't wat to see his great-aunt.
(c) The time he wore mismatched socks.
(d) The time he left a manuscript on a train.
13. What does Qfwfq discover when he goes to spy out the reported dinosaurs?
(a) They are hippopotamuses.
(b) They are rhinoceroses.
(c) They are aligators.
(d) They are ostriches.
14. What are the main things the narrator is aware of beyond himself?
(a) The dirt and the rain.
(b) The sky and the air.
(c) The mud and the plants.
(d) The rock and the water.
15. What does Qfwfq identify as the first numbers to exist?
(a) The numbers i and 0.
(b) The numbers pi and phi.
(c) The numbers e and pi.
(d) The numbers 0 and 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of fish is N'ba N'ga?
2. What name do the New Ones give to Qfwfq?
3. Which of the following impossible fantasies does the narrator have in his shapeless form?
4. How does the narrator first interact with a female?
5. How does the narrator know about females of his species?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)