|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Qfwfq think of N'ba N'ga's way of speaking?
(a) His singsong speech is annoying.
(b) His interesting metaphors are enlightening.
(c) He speaks in riddles that are difficult to understand.
(d) His language is archaic.
2. How often does the whole family visit N'ba N'ga to get his advice?
(a) Once a year.
(b) Once a decade.
(c) Once a century.
(d) Once a month.
3. To what does the narrator compare the paths of the characters' falls?
(a) Vines on a trellis.
(b) Lines of handwriting.
(c) Strands of hair.
(d) Metal chains.
4. What does the narrator anticipate with relief at the end of "The Light-Years"?
(a) A way finally emerging that he can communicate more fully across space, to make his situation clear.
(b) A time when the galaxies all contract back together and he can communnicate more quickly.
(c) The results of a final judgment on him from one central galaxy.
(d) All the galaxies moving so far away that he can't communicate with them or change their opinions.
5. After the narrator speculates that Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore might have met at some time in the past, what does he deduce from this speculation?
(a) That Ursula H'x developed a dislike for Lieutenant Fenimore.
(b) That Ursula H'x developed a love for Lieutenant Fenimore.
(c) That Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore will circle around and meet again.
(d) That Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore are moving away from each other.
6. What does the dinosaur do in the dream Fern-flower first tells Qfwfq about?
(a) The dinosaur hides in the woods and won't let himself be seen.
(b) The dinosaur carries Fern-flower off to eat her.
(c) The dinosaur lets Fern-flower ride on his back.
(d) The dinosaur destroys Fern-flower's house.
7. How far away is the galaxy where the narrator sees the sign?
(a) A hundred million light years.
(b) A hundred and fifty million light years.
(c) Fifty million light years.
(d) Ten million light years.
8. How many people does the narrator expect will see the second event in his life, of which he is proud, compared to the first more shaming moment?
(a) No one.
(b) Less than saw the first.
(c) The same number who saw the first.
(d) More than saw the first.
9. Why does Qfwfq bet that there will be atoms?
(a) He gets a strange feeling like the weather is changing and intuits that atoms are coming.
(b) He makes mathematical calculations and predicts the atoms are coming.
(c) He reads a sign from a previous universe and interprets that it means there will be atoms soon.
(d) He sees one atom and realizes that more will probably follow soon.
10. When Ursula H'x begins swaying during her fall, what does Lieutenant Fenimore do?
(a) He begins to imitate her swaying.
(b) He begins staring at her, hypnotized.
(c) He looks away.
(d) He lunges toward her.
11. Where is a dinosaur body uncovered?
(a) A melting glacier.
(b) A rock slide.
(c) A cavern.
(d) A tar pit.
12. How does Qfwfq feel about N'ba N'ga?
(a) Qfwfq is jealous of N'ba N'ga's watery home.
(b) Qfwfq is afraid of N'ba N'ga.
(c) Qfwfq loves N'ba N'ga.
(d) Qfwfq is embarrassed by N'ba N'ga.
13. What does Qfwfq identify as the first numbers to exist?
(a) The numbers i and 0.
(b) The numbers e and pi.
(c) The numbers 0 and 1.
(d) The numbers pi and phi.
14. What does Lll do after N'ba N'ga says that he could teach her to live in the water?
(a) She starts to cry.
(b) She immediately jumps in the water.
(c) She gives N'ba N'ga a kiss.
(d) She laughs and runs off.
15. In the world millions of years later, where does the narrator see the image of the first female mollusk he interacts with?
(a) In only photographs and representations of women.
(b) In only one woman he sees for a fleeting moment.
(c) In all women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lll dare Qfwfq to do when they are playing near the water?
2. What does N'ba N'ga say his relatives get from living on land?
3. What does the second sign that the narrator sees through his telescope say?
4. What does Qfwfq discover when he goes to spy out the reported dinosaurs?
5. What does the narrator describe the making of his shell as?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)