|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lll do after N'ba N'ga says that he could teach her to live in the water?
(a) She immediately jumps in the water.
(b) She starts to cry.
(c) She laughs and runs off.
(d) She gives N'ba N'ga a kiss.
2. What sign does the narrator finally choose as his response to the first sign?
(a) What of it?
(b) So what?
(c) Who cares.
(d) What do you mean?
3. How does the narrator first interact with a female?
(a) He follows her path.
(b) He dances around her.
(c) He bumps into her.
(d) He fertilizes her eggs.
4. Why is the narrator certain Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore can't meet?
(a) Lieutenant Fenimore and Ursula H'x are in separate dimensions.
(b) Ursula H'x is completely contained in an inaccessible sphere.
(c) They cannot move as they fall.
(d) They are all falling parallel to each other.
5. What are the first things Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK have to bet with?
6. What example of a detailed bet that he makes does Qfwfq give?
(a) Whether the Assyrians will invade Mesopotamia.
(b) What shape Australia's coastline will take.
(c) Where the Great Pyramids will be located.
(d) How deep the Grand Canyon will be.
7. To what does the narrator compare the paths of the characters' falls?
(a) Vines on a trellis.
(b) Strands of hair.
(c) Metal chains.
(d) Lines of handwriting.
8. How does the narrator feel about the female he comes to notice?
(a) He doesn't care about her.
(b) He hates her.
(c) He is irritated by her.
(d) He loves her.
9. What does the narrator anticipate with relief at the end of "The Light-Years"?
(a) A way finally emerging that he can communicate more fully across space, to make his situation clear.
(b) The results of a final judgment on him from one central galaxy.
(c) All the galaxies moving so far away that he can't communicate with them or change their opinions.
(d) A time when the galaxies all contract back together and he can communnicate more quickly.
10. Who gives Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK the libraries, magazines, and computers they need for their calculations?
(a) A Research Foundation.
(b) An International Conglomerate.
(c) A Government Agency.
(d) A University Grant.
11. What name do the New Ones give to Qfwfq?
(a) The Grimacing One.
(b) The Large One.
(c) The Sad One.
(d) The Ugly One.
12. How does Lieutenant Fenimore react when the narrator indicates he's seen a universe?
(a) He is contemptuous.
(b) He is horrified.
(c) He is thrilled.
(d) He is irritated.
13. What does the narrator say the sign "This time I like you." refers to?
(a) The time he ignored the doorbell because he didn't wat to see his great-aunt.
(b) The time he wore mismatched socks.
(c) The time he left a manuscript on a train.
(d) The time he locked himself out of his house.
14. How often does the whole family visit N'ba N'ga to get his advice?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Once a decade.
(c) Once a year.
(d) Once a century.
15. Where does Qfwfq want Lll to come away with him to?
(a) A plain beyond the mountain.
(b) An island in the river.
(c) An underwater garden.
(d) A system of caverns in the forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ursula H'x begins swaying during her fall, what does Lieutenant Fenimore do?
2. Why is Lll more agile than Qfwfq?
3. What does the first sign the narrator sees say?
4. How does Qfwfq feel about N'ba N'ga?
5. What sign does the narrator read that at first he's happy about, but later is disappointed by?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)