|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weapon does Lieutenant Fenimore use against the narrator?
(a) A baton.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A dart.
(d) A sword.
2. What type of fish is N'ba N'ga?
3. What things do Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK lack at first that makes betting difficult?
(a) Senses to see the world around them with.
(b) Pencils and paper to track their bets.
(c) Symbols, money, and numbers.
(d) Other people to referree the bets and fix disputes.
4. Who does Ursula H'x always look at as she falls?
(a) No one.
(b) Both the narrator and Lieutenant Fenimore.
(c) Lieutenant Fenimore.
(d) The narrator.
5. What does Lll do after N'ba N'ga says that he could teach her to live in the water?
(a) She starts to cry.
(b) She gives N'ba N'ga a kiss.
(c) She laughs and runs off.
(d) She immediately jumps in the water.
6. What does the narrator describe the making of his shell as?
(a) Aggression, like punching outward.
(b) Expansion, like taking new territory.
(c) Pleading, like reaching out his hands.
(d) Self-expression, like an exclamation.
7. What does Qfwfq do when a New One first calls to him?
(a) He stands perfectly still and hides.
(b) He attacks the New One.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He pretends to be dead.
8. When Fern-flower dreams of a dinosaur being teased, what does she do in the dream?
(a) She teases the dinosaur.
(b) She watches and finds it upsetting.
(c) She watches and finds it funny.
(d) She protects the dinosaur.
9. What is the second sign the narrator sees, when he is looking for reactions to his magnanimous and generous actions?
(a) You have forgotten your gloves.
(b) You have a hole in your sock.
(c) You have a shoe untied.
(d) You have a flannel undershirt.
10. How does the narrator see the shape of space?
(a) As a long curve that meets back with itself.
(b) As a long and smooth spiral.
(c) As a jagged-edged zig-zag.
(d) As a complex shape of curves, indentations, and projections.
11. How does the narrator first interact with a female?
(a) He dances around her.
(b) He bumps into her.
(c) He follows her path.
(d) He fertilizes her eggs.
12. What is N'ba N'ga's relationship to Qfwfq?
(a) He is a grandfather.
(b) He is a great-uncle.
(c) He is a great-grandfather.
(d) He is an elder third cousin.
13. Why does Qfwfq bet that there will be atoms?
(a) He sees one atom and realizes that more will probably follow soon.
(b) He makes mathematical calculations and predicts the atoms are coming.
(c) He gets a strange feeling like the weather is changing and intuits that atoms are coming.
(d) He reads a sign from a previous universe and interprets that it means there will be atoms soon.
14. During what period did the dinosaurs die out?
(a) The Cretaceous.
(b) The Miocene.
(c) The Paleozoic.
(d) The Eocene.
15. What does the narrator say the sign "Tchk Tchk" refers to?
(a) The time he stopped a bully from beating up a child.
(b) The time he swerved and crashed his car to avoid hitting a dog.
(c) The time he quit his job because they asked him to do something wrong.
(d) The time he gave a third of his salary to charity.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Qfwfq feel about N'ba N'ga?
2. What gives the narrator the idea that space has a shape and form?
3. What sign does the narrator read that at first he's happy about, but later is disappointed by?
4. Why is the narrator certain Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore can't meet?
5. How do the New Ones subsist?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)