|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unplanned benefit does the shell give the narrator?
(c) Physical attraction for females.
(d) A weapon.
2. What does the narrator say the sign "This time I like you." refers to?
(a) The time he locked himself out of his house.
(b) The time he wore mismatched socks.
(c) The time he ignored the doorbell because he didn't wat to see his great-aunt.
(d) The time he left a manuscript on a train.
3. What does the narrator describe the making of his shell as?
(a) Self-expression, like an exclamation.
(b) Aggression, like punching outward.
(c) Pleading, like reaching out his hands.
(d) Expansion, like taking new territory.
4. What type of fish is N'ba N'ga?
5. In the world millions of years later, where does the narrator see the image of the first female mollusk he interacts with?
(a) In only one woman he sees for a fleeting moment.
(b) In only photographs and representations of women.
(c) In all women.
6. What is the first bet Qfwfq makes before the beginning of the universe?
(a) That the universe will begin at a specific point.
(b) That there will be a universe.
(c) That matter will exist.
(d) That there was a previous universe.
7. Where does N'ba N'ga say is a good hunting ground?
(a) The roots of floating trees.
(b) Reed gardens near the water's edge.
(c) The underwater caves along the shore.
(d) The pools near waterfalls.
8. How does the narrator see the shape of space?
(a) As a long and smooth spiral.
(b) As a long curve that meets back with itself.
(c) As a jagged-edged zig-zag.
(d) As a complex shape of curves, indentations, and projections.
9. How much does the narrator plan the details of his shell's appearance?
(a) He plans a general outline.
(b) He doesn't plan it at all.
(c) He plans it in specific detail, and it turns out as planned.
(d) He plans it in specific detail, but it doesn't turn out quite like planned.
10. Who does Ursula H'x always look at as she falls?
(a) Both the narrator and Lieutenant Fenimore.
(b) Lieutenant Fenimore.
(c) The narrator.
(d) No one.
11. How does the narrator know about females of his species?
(a) Through vibrations.
(b) Through sounds.
(c) Through smells.
(d) Through electric impulses.
12. What does the narrator anticipate with relief at the end of "The Light-Years"?
(a) A time when the galaxies all contract back together and he can communnicate more quickly.
(b) A way finally emerging that he can communicate more fully across space, to make his situation clear.
(c) All the galaxies moving so far away that he can't communicate with them or change their opinions.
(d) The results of a final judgment on him from one central galaxy.
13. How does Lieutenant Fenimore react when the narrator indicates he's seen a universe?
(a) He is thrilled.
(b) He is irritated.
(c) He is contemptuous.
(d) He is horrified.
14. What does Qfwfq do when a New One first calls to him?
(a) He attacks the New One.
(b) He stands perfectly still and hides.
(c) He pretends to be dead.
(d) He runs away.
15. For how long does Qfwfq say he was a dinosaur?
(a) About eighty million years.
(b) About thirty million years.
(c) About a hundred million years.
(d) About fifty million years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dean (k)yK react when Qfwfq loses a bet?
2. What does Qfwfq discover when he goes to spy out the reported dinosaurs?
3. What sign does the narrator finally choose as his response to the first sign?
4. How far away is the galaxy where the narrator sees the sign?
5. To what does the narrator compare the paths of the characters' falls?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)