|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sign does the narrator read that at first he's happy about, but later is disappointed by?
(a) That character's really on the ball.
(b) This guy's pretty swell.
(c) Hey, fella, good job.
(d) Who's that fantastic fellow?
2. Where does Qfwfq want Lll to come away with him to?
(a) A system of caverns in the forest.
(b) An island in the river.
(c) An underwater garden.
(d) A plain beyond the mountain.
3. What does Ursula H'x do as she falls?
(a) She plays music and sings.
(b) She does calisthenics.
(c) She sleeps constantly.
(d) She does her nails or combs her hair.
4. How often does the whole family visit N'ba N'ga to get his advice?
(a) Once a decade.
(b) Once a year.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Once a century.
5. What is the first bet Qfwfq makes before the beginning of the universe?
(a) That the universe will begin at a specific point.
(b) That there will be a universe.
(c) That matter will exist.
(d) That there was a previous universe.
6. Where are the universes that the narrator sees as he falls?
(a) All around, always near, but never crossing his path.
(b) Very far away so he almost thinks they're illusions.
(c) So near he can almost touch them.
(d) Always above him as he falls away from them.
7. What does Qfwfq do when a New One first calls to him?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He attacks the New One.
(c) He pretends to be dead.
(d) He stands perfectly still and hides.
8. How does Lieutenant Fenimore react when the narrator indicates he's seen a universe?
(a) He is thrilled.
(b) He is contemptuous.
(c) He is irritated.
(d) He is horrified.
9. What sign does the narrator finally choose as his response to the first sign?
(a) Who cares.
(b) So what?
(c) What do you mean?
(d) What of it?
10. What unplanned benefit does the shell give the narrator?
(a) Physical attraction for females.
(d) A weapon.
11. How does the narrator feel about the female he comes to notice?
(a) He hates her.
(b) He is irritated by her.
(c) He doesn't care about her.
(d) He loves her.
12. How do the New Ones subsist?
(a) They gather berries, mushrooms, and vegetables from the woods.
(b) They catch fish from the river.
(c) They hunt deer in the woods.
(d) They grow vegetables in gardens.
13. What does Qfwfq identify as the first numbers to exist?
(a) The numbers i and 0.
(b) The numbers 0 and 1.
(c) The numbers pi and phi.
(d) The numbers e and pi.
14. How does Qfwfq feel about N'ba N'ga?
(a) Qfwfq is afraid of N'ba N'ga.
(b) Qfwfq is jealous of N'ba N'ga's watery home.
(c) Qfwfq loves N'ba N'ga.
(d) Qfwfq is embarrassed by N'ba N'ga.
15. To what does the narrator compare the paths of the characters' falls?
(a) Vines on a trellis.
(b) Lines of handwriting.
(c) Metal chains.
(d) Strands of hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the sign "Tchk Tchk" refers to?
2. What is the second sign the narrator sees, when he is looking for reactions to his magnanimous and generous actions?
3. Why is Lll more agile than Qfwfq?
4. What bet does Qfwfq make about Signorina Giuseppina Pensotti before she (or humanity at all) yet exists?
5. How does Dean (k)yK react when Qfwfq loses a bet?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)