|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Fern-flower dreams of a dinosaur being teased, what does she do in the dream?
(a) She watches and finds it upsetting.
(b) She protects the dinosaur.
(c) She teases the dinosaur.
(d) She watches and finds it funny.
2. To what does the narrator compare the paths of the characters' falls?
(a) Metal chains.
(b) Strands of hair.
(c) Lines of handwriting.
(d) Vines on a trellis.
3. What does the dinosaur do in the dream Fern-flower first tells Qfwfq about?
(a) The dinosaur carries Fern-flower off to eat her.
(b) The dinosaur lets Fern-flower ride on his back.
(c) The dinosaur destroys Fern-flower's house.
(d) The dinosaur hides in the woods and won't let himself be seen.
4. What does Qfwfq think of N'ba N'ga's way of speaking?
(a) His singsong speech is annoying.
(b) His interesting metaphors are enlightening.
(c) He speaks in riddles that are difficult to understand.
(d) His language is archaic.
5. What name do the New Ones give to Qfwfq?
(a) The Large One.
(b) The Grimacing One.
(c) The Ugly One.
(d) The Sad One.
6. How many people does the narrator expect will see the second event in his life, of which he is proud, compared to the first more shaming moment?
(a) More than saw the first.
(b) Less than saw the first.
(c) No one.
(d) The same number who saw the first.
7. What does Lll dare Qfwfq to do when they are playing near the water?
(a) Hold his breath under water as long as he can.
(b) Make as big a splash as he can.
(c) Run through the waves as fast as he can.
(d) Get as close to the water as he can.
8. Who does Ursula H'x always look at as she falls?
(a) No one.
(b) Both the narrator and Lieutenant Fenimore.
(c) The narrator.
(d) Lieutenant Fenimore.
9. When Ursula H'x begins swaying during her fall, what does Lieutenant Fenimore do?
(a) He looks away.
(b) He begins staring at her, hypnotized.
(c) He lunges toward her.
(d) He begins to imitate her swaying.
10. How does the narrator see the shape of space?
(a) As a jagged-edged zig-zag.
(b) As a long curve that meets back with itself.
(c) As a long and smooth spiral.
(d) As a complex shape of curves, indentations, and projections.
11. What does Qfwfq predict will happen to stars?
(a) They will burst into fire.
(b) They will break into smaller stars.
(c) They will begin emitting helium.
(d) They will slowly grow in size.
12. What swarm of insects does the narrator describe flying through the air in the second part of the story, in the railway embankment scene?
13. Where does the narrator strike Lieutenant Fenimore as he falls on him?
(a) On the gluteus maximus.
(b) In the spleen.
(c) On the cervical vertibrae.
(d) On the cranium.
14. What is N'ba N'ga's relationship to Qfwfq?
(a) He is a great-uncle.
(b) He is an elder third cousin.
(c) He is a great-grandfather.
(d) He is a grandfather.
15. What sign does the narrator see, when he looks up in anticipation of a reaction to the second event, of which he is proud?
(a) Not at home.
(b) Oh, well.
(d) I missed it.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the narrator speculates that Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore might have met at some time in the past, what does he deduce from this speculation?
2. Where does N'ba N'ga live?
3. How does Dean (k)yK react when Qfwfq loses a bet?
4. What variables does the narrator use to refer to the two moments in his life that he thinks others must be observing from far-away galaxies?
5. What is the first bet Qfwfq makes before the beginning of the universe?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)