|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people does the narrator expect will see the second event in his life, of which he is proud, compared to the first more shaming moment?
(a) Less than saw the first.
(b) No one.
(c) More than saw the first.
(d) The same number who saw the first.
2. How do the New Ones subsist?
(a) They catch fish from the river.
(b) They hunt deer in the woods.
(c) They grow vegetables in gardens.
(d) They gather berries, mushrooms, and vegetables from the woods.
3. What variables does the narrator use to refer to the two moments in his life that he thinks others must be observing from far-away galaxies?
(a) The variables e and c.
(b) The variables a and b.
(c) The variables x and y.
(d) The variables pi and phi.
4. How does the narrator feel about the female he comes to notice?
(a) He is irritated by her.
(b) He hates her.
(c) He doesn't care about her.
(d) He loves her.
5. How does Dean (k)yK react when Qfwfq loses a bet?
(a) He solemnly chides Qfwfq's foolishness.
(b) He is polite and happy.
(c) He laughs at Qfwfq.
(d) He frowns, thinking that though he's won one bet, he's lost too many.
6. What example of a detailed bet that he makes does Qfwfq give?
(a) Where the Great Pyramids will be located.
(b) What shape Australia's coastline will take.
(c) How deep the Grand Canyon will be.
(d) Whether the Assyrians will invade Mesopotamia.
7. What does Qfwfq think of N'ba N'ga's way of speaking?
(a) His interesting metaphors are enlightening.
(b) He speaks in riddles that are difficult to understand.
(c) His singsong speech is annoying.
(d) His language is archaic.
8. During what period did the dinosaurs die out?
(a) The Miocene.
(b) The Paleozoic.
(c) The Cretaceous.
(d) The Eocene.
9. What does the second sign that the narrator sees through his telescope say?
(a) I saw it.
(b) I saw you.
(c) I know you.
(d) I know it.
10. What does the first sign the narrator sees say?
(a) I saw it.
(b) I know it.
(c) I know you.
(d) I saw you.
11. How does the narrator first interact with a female?
(a) He bumps into her.
(b) He dances around her.
(c) He follows her path.
(d) He fertilizes her eggs.
12. Why is Lll more agile than Qfwfq?
(a) She has run races all her life.
(b) She was born on land.
(c) She has a new kind of knee joint.
(d) She is younger than Qfwfq.
13. How does Qfwfq feel about N'ba N'ga?
(a) Qfwfq is jealous of N'ba N'ga's watery home.
(b) Qfwfq is afraid of N'ba N'ga.
(c) Qfwfq is embarrassed by N'ba N'ga.
(d) Qfwfq loves N'ba N'ga.
14. What does the narrator say the sign "Tchk Tchk" refers to?
(a) The time he swerved and crashed his car to avoid hitting a dog.
(b) The time he quit his job because they asked him to do something wrong.
(c) The time he stopped a bully from beating up a child.
(d) The time he gave a third of his salary to charity.
15. What is N'ba N'ga's relationship to Qfwfq?
(a) He is a great-grandfather.
(b) He is a great-uncle.
(c) He is a grandfather.
(d) He is an elder third cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator see the shape of space?
2. What does Qfwfq do when a New One first calls to him?
3. What sign does the narrator see, when he looks up in anticipation of a reaction to the second event, of which he is proud?
4. How does Lieutenant Fenimore react when the narrator indicates he's seen a universe?
5. Who gives Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK the libraries, magazines, and computers they need for their calculations?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)