|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name do the New Ones give to Qfwfq?
(a) The Grimacing One.
(b) The Large One.
(c) The Ugly One.
(d) The Sad One.
2. How often does the whole family visit N'ba N'ga to get his advice?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Once a decade.
(c) Once a year.
(d) Once a century.
3. What does Qfwfq discover when he goes to spy out the reported dinosaurs?
(a) They are ostriches.
(b) They are rhinoceroses.
(c) They are aligators.
(d) They are hippopotamuses.
4. What does the narrator say the sign "This time I like you." refers to?
(a) The time he locked himself out of his house.
(b) The time he left a manuscript on a train.
(c) The time he wore mismatched socks.
(d) The time he ignored the doorbell because he didn't wat to see his great-aunt.
5. How does Qfwfq feel about N'ba N'ga?
(a) Qfwfq loves N'ba N'ga.
(b) Qfwfq is jealous of N'ba N'ga's watery home.
(c) Qfwfq is embarrassed by N'ba N'ga.
(d) Qfwfq is afraid of N'ba N'ga.
6. Who does the mollusk expect to develop sight but doesn't?
(a) The eggs that the mollusks lay.
(b) Himself and the female mollusk.
(c) The ocean and the sky.
(d) The mollusk shells.
7. What begins to happen to Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK's bets after humanity appears on the scene?
(a) Dean (k)yK stops betting.
(b) Dean (k)yK begins to win more bets.
(c) Qfwfq begins to win every bet, without exception.
(d) Dean (k)yK begins to win every bet, without exception.
8. What type of fish is N'ba N'ga?
9. Where does N'ba N'ga live?
(a) In a quiet cove on the edge of the sea.
(b) In the shallow edge of a lagoon.
(c) In a rock formation in a river.
(d) In a bay inlet, near a waterfall.
10. What is N'ba N'ga's relationship to Qfwfq?
(a) He is a great-uncle.
(b) He is a great-grandfather.
(c) He is a grandfather.
(d) He is an elder third cousin.
11. What does Lll do after N'ba N'ga says that he could teach her to live in the water?
(a) She gives N'ba N'ga a kiss.
(b) She laughs and runs off.
(c) She immediately jumps in the water.
(d) She starts to cry.
12. What are the main things the narrator is aware of beyond himself?
(a) The dirt and the rain.
(b) The mud and the plants.
(c) The sky and the air.
(d) The rock and the water.
13. What does the narrator anticipate with relief at the end of "The Light-Years"?
(a) All the galaxies moving so far away that he can't communicate with them or change their opinions.
(b) A time when the galaxies all contract back together and he can communnicate more quickly.
(c) The results of a final judgment on him from one central galaxy.
(d) A way finally emerging that he can communicate more fully across space, to make his situation clear.
14. Why is Lll more agile than Qfwfq?
(a) She has a new kind of knee joint.
(b) She was born on land.
(c) She is younger than Qfwfq.
(d) She has run races all her life.
15. What do the New Ones do when they find the dinosaur body?
(a) They burn the body out of fear.
(b) They move away from the area, now taboo.
(c) They hold a trial to determine the fate of the dinosaur.
(d) They celebrate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following impossible fantasies does the narrator have in his shapeless form?
2. What swarm of insects does the narrator describe flying through the air in the second part of the story, in the railway embankment scene?
3. What does the narrator describe the making of his shell as?
4. What unplanned benefit does the shell give the narrator?
5. How does the narrator first interact with a female?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)