|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does N'ba N'ga live?
(a) In a quiet cove on the edge of the sea.
(b) In the shallow edge of a lagoon.
(c) In a bay inlet, near a waterfall.
(d) In a rock formation in a river.
2. What swarm of insects does the narrator describe flying through the air in the second part of the story, in the railway embankment scene?
3. Which of the following impossible fantasies does the narrator have in his shapeless form?
(a) Snapping his fingers.
(b) Crossing his legs.
(d) Shaking someone's hand.
4. How does Dean (k)yK try to back out of the bet that there will be atoms?
(a) He accuses Qfwfq of cheating on the bet.
(b) He says that they never shook hands on the bet.
(c) He denies that he ever accepted a bet.
(d) He tries to deny that the atoms are atoms.
5. What does the narrator anticipate with relief at the end of "The Light-Years"?
(a) A time when the galaxies all contract back together and he can communnicate more quickly.
(b) A way finally emerging that he can communicate more fully across space, to make his situation clear.
(c) The results of a final judgment on him from one central galaxy.
(d) All the galaxies moving so far away that he can't communicate with them or change their opinions.
6. How many people does the narrator expect will see the second event in his life, of which he is proud, compared to the first more shaming moment?
(a) No one.
(b) Less than saw the first.
(c) More than saw the first.
(d) The same number who saw the first.
7. What does the dinosaur do in the dream Fern-flower first tells Qfwfq about?
(a) The dinosaur lets Fern-flower ride on his back.
(b) The dinosaur carries Fern-flower off to eat her.
(c) The dinosaur destroys Fern-flower's house.
(d) The dinosaur hides in the woods and won't let himself be seen.
8. When Fern-flower dreams of a dinosaur being teased, what does she do in the dream?
(a) She watches and finds it upsetting.
(b) She protects the dinosaur.
(c) She watches and finds it funny.
(d) She teases the dinosaur.
9. What does N'ba N'ga say his relatives get from living on land?
10. What weapon does Lieutenant Fenimore use against the narrator?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A dart.
(c) A baton.
(d) A sword.
11. How does the narrator see the shape of space?
(a) As a long and smooth spiral.
(b) As a jagged-edged zig-zag.
(c) As a long curve that meets back with itself.
(d) As a complex shape of curves, indentations, and projections.
12. What type of fish is N'ba N'ga?
13. What does the narrator say the sign "This time I like you." refers to?
(a) The time he locked himself out of his house.
(b) The time he left a manuscript on a train.
(c) The time he ignored the doorbell because he didn't wat to see his great-aunt.
(d) The time he wore mismatched socks.
14. How does the narrator first interact with a female?
(a) He dances around her.
(b) He bumps into her.
(c) He fertilizes her eggs.
(d) He follows her path.
15. How do the New Ones subsist?
(a) They grow vegetables in gardens.
(b) They catch fish from the river.
(c) They gather berries, mushrooms, and vegetables from the woods.
(d) They hunt deer in the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ursula H'x always look at as she falls?
2. In the world millions of years later, where does the narrator see the image of the first female mollusk he interacts with?
3. For how long does Qfwfq say he was a dinosaur?
4. What is the first bet Qfwfq makes before the beginning of the universe?
5. What are the first things Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK have to bet with?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)