|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the universes that the narrator sees as he falls?
(a) Always above him as he falls away from them.
(b) All around, always near, but never crossing his path.
(c) So near he can almost touch them.
(d) Very far away so he almost thinks they're illusions.
2. Who gives Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK the libraries, magazines, and computers they need for their calculations?
(a) An International Conglomerate.
(b) A Research Foundation.
(c) A University Grant.
(d) A Government Agency.
3. What does Lll do after N'ba N'ga says that he could teach her to live in the water?
(a) She laughs and runs off.
(b) She gives N'ba N'ga a kiss.
(c) She immediately jumps in the water.
(d) She starts to cry.
4. What weapon does Lieutenant Fenimore use against the narrator?
(a) A sword.
(b) A dart.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A baton.
5. What are the first things Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK have to bet with?
6. How does the narrator see the shape of space?
(a) As a jagged-edged zig-zag.
(b) As a long curve that meets back with itself.
(c) As a long and smooth spiral.
(d) As a complex shape of curves, indentations, and projections.
7. How does Dean (k)yK try to back out of the bet that there will be atoms?
(a) He tries to deny that the atoms are atoms.
(b) He denies that he ever accepted a bet.
(c) He says that they never shook hands on the bet.
(d) He accuses Qfwfq of cheating on the bet.
8. What job does Zahn recommend Qfwfq for, which Qfwfq would rather not do?
(a) Exploring new territory.
(b) Being ambassador to neighboring species.
(c) Defending the village.
(d) Ruling the village.
9. What do the New Ones do when they find the dinosaur body?
(a) They hold a trial to determine the fate of the dinosaur.
(b) They burn the body out of fear.
(c) They celebrate.
(d) They move away from the area, now taboo.
10. How many people does the narrator expect will see the second event in his life, of which he is proud, compared to the first more shaming moment?
(a) More than saw the first.
(b) The same number who saw the first.
(c) Less than saw the first.
(d) No one.
11. How does Dean (k)yK react when Qfwfq loses a bet?
(a) He is polite and happy.
(b) He frowns, thinking that though he's won one bet, he's lost too many.
(c) He laughs at Qfwfq.
(d) He solemnly chides Qfwfq's foolishness.
12. Who does Ursula H'x always look at as she falls?
(a) The narrator.
(b) Both the narrator and Lieutenant Fenimore.
(c) No one.
(d) Lieutenant Fenimore.
13. How do the New Ones subsist?
(a) They gather berries, mushrooms, and vegetables from the woods.
(b) They catch fish from the river.
(c) They hunt deer in the woods.
(d) They grow vegetables in gardens.
14. What does N'ba N'ga say his relatives get from living on land?
15. What things do Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK lack at first that makes betting difficult?
(a) Other people to referree the bets and fix disputes.
(b) Pencils and paper to track their bets.
(c) Symbols, money, and numbers.
(d) Senses to see the world around them with.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bet does Qfwfq make about Signorina Giuseppina Pensotti before she (or humanity at all) yet exists?
2. In the world millions of years later, where does the narrator see the image of the first female mollusk he interacts with?
3. What does the second sign that the narrator sees through his telescope say?
4. What does the narrator anticipate with relief at the end of "The Light-Years"?
5. What does the mollusk think of the development of eyesight?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)