|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Qfwfq do when a New One first calls to him?
(a) He pretends to be dead.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He stands perfectly still and hides.
(d) He attacks the New One.
2. What example of a detailed bet that he makes does Qfwfq give?
(a) How deep the Grand Canyon will be.
(b) Where the Great Pyramids will be located.
(c) What shape Australia's coastline will take.
(d) Whether the Assyrians will invade Mesopotamia.
3. Who gives Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK the libraries, magazines, and computers they need for their calculations?
(a) An International Conglomerate.
(b) A Government Agency.
(c) A Research Foundation.
(d) A University Grant.
4. What does the narrator say the sign "Tchk Tchk" refers to?
(a) The time he gave a third of his salary to charity.
(b) The time he quit his job because they asked him to do something wrong.
(c) The time he stopped a bully from beating up a child.
(d) The time he swerved and crashed his car to avoid hitting a dog.
5. After the narrator speculates that Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore might have met at some time in the past, what does he deduce from this speculation?
(a) That Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore are moving away from each other.
(b) That Ursula H'x developed a dislike for Lieutenant Fenimore.
(c) That Ursula H'x developed a love for Lieutenant Fenimore.
(d) That Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore will circle around and meet again.
6. What does Qfwfq predict will happen to stars?
(a) They will slowly grow in size.
(b) They will burst into fire.
(c) They will break into smaller stars.
(d) They will begin emitting helium.
7. What does one of the spectators at the fight between Zahn and Qfwfq call out?
(a) Run, Dinosaur!
(b) Give it to him, Dinosaur!
(c) He's a Dinosaur!
(d) Die, Dinosaur!
8. What does Qfwfq identify as the first numbers to exist?
(a) The numbers i and 0.
(b) The numbers pi and phi.
(c) The numbers 0 and 1.
(d) The numbers e and pi.
9. What does Ursula H'x do as she falls?
(a) She plays music and sings.
(b) She does her nails or combs her hair.
(c) She sleeps constantly.
(d) She does calisthenics.
10. What swarm of insects does the narrator describe flying through the air in the second part of the story, in the railway embankment scene?
11. How much does the narrator plan the details of his shell's appearance?
(a) He plans it in specific detail, but it doesn't turn out quite like planned.
(b) He doesn't plan it at all.
(c) He plans a general outline.
(d) He plans it in specific detail, and it turns out as planned.
12. How many people does the narrator expect will see the second event in his life, of which he is proud, compared to the first more shaming moment?
(a) More than saw the first.
(b) No one.
(c) Less than saw the first.
(d) The same number who saw the first.
13. Who does the mollusk expect to develop sight but doesn't?
(a) The eggs that the mollusks lay.
(b) Himself and the female mollusk.
(c) The ocean and the sky.
(d) The mollusk shells.
14. What do the New Ones do when they find the dinosaur body?
(a) They celebrate.
(b) They burn the body out of fear.
(c) They move away from the area, now taboo.
(d) They hold a trial to determine the fate of the dinosaur.
15. What is the second sign the narrator sees, when he is looking for reactions to his magnanimous and generous actions?
(a) You have a flannel undershirt.
(b) You have a hole in your sock.
(c) You have a shoe untied.
(d) You have forgotten your gloves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the second sign that the narrator sees through his telescope say?
2. In the world millions of years later, where does the narrator see the image of the first female mollusk he interacts with?
3. How does the narrator first interact with a female?
4. What does Lll do after N'ba N'ga says that he could teach her to live in the water?
5. How does the narrator see the shape of space?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)