|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sign does the narrator finally choose as his response to the first sign?
(a) What of it?
(b) So what?
(c) What do you mean?
(d) Who cares.
2. What does Qfwfq identify as the first numbers to exist?
(a) The numbers i and 0.
(b) The numbers e and pi.
(c) The numbers 0 and 1.
(d) The numbers pi and phi.
3. What weapon does Lieutenant Fenimore use against the narrator?
(a) A sword.
(b) A dart.
(c) A baton.
(d) A pistol.
4. To what does the narrator compare the paths of the characters' falls?
(a) Lines of handwriting.
(b) Vines on a trellis.
(c) Strands of hair.
(d) Metal chains.
5. How many people does the narrator expect will see the second event in his life, of which he is proud, compared to the first more shaming moment?
(a) Less than saw the first.
(b) More than saw the first.
(c) The same number who saw the first.
(d) No one.
6. How does Lieutenant Fenimore react when the narrator indicates he's seen a universe?
(a) He is irritated.
(b) He is contemptuous.
(c) He is horrified.
(d) He is thrilled.
7. After the narrator speculates that Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore might have met at some time in the past, what does he deduce from this speculation?
(a) That Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore are moving away from each other.
(b) That Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore will circle around and meet again.
(c) That Ursula H'x developed a love for Lieutenant Fenimore.
(d) That Ursula H'x developed a dislike for Lieutenant Fenimore.
8. Where does N'ba N'ga say is a good hunting ground?
(a) The underwater caves along the shore.
(b) Reed gardens near the water's edge.
(c) The pools near waterfalls.
(d) The roots of floating trees.
9. What is N'ba N'ga's relationship to Qfwfq?
(a) He is an elder third cousin.
(b) He is a great-uncle.
(c) He is a great-grandfather.
(d) He is a grandfather.
10. Who does the mollusk expect to develop sight but doesn't?
(a) The eggs that the mollusks lay.
(b) The mollusk shells.
(c) Himself and the female mollusk.
(d) The ocean and the sky.
11. How do the New Ones subsist?
(a) They catch fish from the river.
(b) They gather berries, mushrooms, and vegetables from the woods.
(c) They hunt deer in the woods.
(d) They grow vegetables in gardens.
12. Where does N'ba N'ga live?
(a) In a bay inlet, near a waterfall.
(b) In the shallow edge of a lagoon.
(c) In a rock formation in a river.
(d) In a quiet cove on the edge of the sea.
13. What gives the narrator the idea that space has a shape and form?
(a) Watching Ursula H'x move.
(b) Watching Lieutenant Fenimore move.
(c) Watching universes fly by.
(d) Watching his own unconscious movements.
14. Who gives Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK the libraries, magazines, and computers they need for their calculations?
(a) An International Conglomerate.
(b) A University Grant.
(c) A Research Foundation.
(d) A Government Agency.
15. Why does Qfwfq bet that there will be atoms?
(a) He makes mathematical calculations and predicts the atoms are coming.
(b) He reads a sign from a previous universe and interprets that it means there will be atoms soon.
(c) He gets a strange feeling like the weather is changing and intuits that atoms are coming.
(d) He sees one atom and realizes that more will probably follow soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first bet Qfwfq makes before the beginning of the universe?
2. During what period did the dinosaurs die out?
3. What does the narrator describe the making of his shell as?
4. What does the first sign the narrator sees say?
5. What type of fish is N'ba N'ga?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)