|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose is the fifth remark that the Chair reads?
2. What are the gallery fronts clothed in?
3. What is Eliphalet's last name?
4. What is Wingate's occupation?
5. What do the Richardses take as a sign of Sarah's guilt?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about the early 20th century society:
2) Class system.
3) Treatment of outsiders.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the town of Hadleyburg before the the stranger arrived with the money to the town of Hadleyburg after Mr. and Mrs. Richards' pass away. How did the stranger affect the following areas of Hadleyburg life:
1) The public's trust of their superiors.
2) The town's identity.
3) The town's attitude to outsiders.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)