|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts the hatter?
2. Which of the following words best describe the Richards' state of mind?
3. What frightens Sarah about the Richardses?
4. What will the stranger have to do to catch Hadleyburg napping again?
5. What does Burgess say one of either Mr. Wilson or Mr. Billson has committed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Mr. Richards' character to the person he was at the beginning to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Mr. Richards hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events change Mr. Richards' ideas about life?
3) How has Mr. Richards' character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Mark Twain's novels and stories greatly influenced modern American literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by The Man That Corrupted HAdleyburg and discuss its similarities with the novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)