|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Wilson say he thought had taken his note to a different place on his desk?
2. What do the Richardses have to endure until midnight?
3. To whom do the voices say the Chair should be kind?
4. Who do the Richardses call during the night?
5. Why does the doctor say the town is distressed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the town of Hadleyburg before the the stranger arrived with the money to the town of Hadleyburg after Mr. and Mrs. Richards' pass away. How did the stranger affect the following areas of Hadleyburg life:
1) The public's trust of their superiors.
2) The town's identity.
3) The town's attitude to outsiders.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Mark Twain's novels and stories greatly influenced modern American literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by The Man That Corrupted HAdleyburg and discuss its similarities with the novel in terms of the following:
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)