|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Thompson's occupation?
2. What does Mr. Richards want to tell the house that he does not have?
3. What will the stranger have to do to catch Hadleyburg napping again?
4. What does the narrator say is quieting down?
5. What does the narrator say the sermon bristles with?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1900s.
In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
What values does modern society share with 1900s America?
Essay Topic 3
Mark Twain writes the book in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)