|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the stranger stands up like?
2. What does the narrator say the Richardses were about to learn?
3. Who does Wingate suggest they give the money to?
4. What is Wingate's occupation?
5. What will the stranger have to do to catch Hadleyburg napping again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE MAN THAT CORRUPTED HADLEYBURG is a novella. What are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Mark Twain writes the book in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)