|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose remark does Burgess open next?
2. Which of the following words best describe the Richards' state of mind?
3. Who do the Richardses see on the way home?
4. Where does Mr. Richards tell his wife to put the checks?
5. What does Mr. Richards ask his wife to do to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)