|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Burgess take out of his pocket?
2. What are the gallery fronts clothed in?
3. What frightens Sarah about the Richardses?
4. Who does the Chair call forward to receive the money?
5. Whose is the fifth remark that the Chair reads?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1900s.
In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
What values does modern society share with 1900s America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)