|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Richards say the town has trained them to think?
2. What is the old lady reading in the parlor?
3. Who does Mrs. Richards say her husband is free of?
4. Where does the stranger say Goodson made the remark to him?
5. What does Jack Halliday say Mrs. Wilcox's cat has had?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the author present Halliday as the only honest character in the story?
2. What does Halliday notice about the town's citizens after they have received the letters?
3. How does Mr. Richards react to the sack?
4. How does Mr. Richards react when he reads the stranger's note?
5. Why does Mr. Richards say Burgess is not as mean-spirited as the town thinks?
6. What does Burgess write in his note to Mr. Richards?
7. How does Burgess try to settle the dispute between Wilson and Burgess?
8. Why does Mr. Richards say Burgess is friendly to them?
9. What is Hadleyburg's reputation?
10. Why does the stranger want to do harm to Hadleyburg?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1900s.
In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
What values does modern society share with 1900s America?
Essay Topic 3
THE MAN THAT CORRUPTED HADLEYBURG is a novella. What are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of the following:
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)