|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the only other town that the narrator mentions?
2. Who is the letter from?
3. What is the name of the stranger who wrote the letter?
4. Why does Mr. Richards say there is nothing to worry about regarding Reverend Burgess?
5. Who is a puzzled man other than Jack Halliday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Richards react when he reads the stranger's note?
2. Why does Mr. Richards say Burgess is not as mean-spirited as the town thinks?
3. Why does Mr. Richards say he did not speak up in defense of Burgess?
4. Why did the stranger fashion his scheme around a person that the townsfolk did not like?
5. What kindness does Mr. Richards decide he must have performed for Goodson?
6. What do the Richardses decide is the best way to identify the rightful owner of the money?
7. What does the stranger say should happen if no one claims the money?
8. Why does Mr. Richards not want to accept checks?
9. What does the stranger do the next morning?
10. How does Mrs. Richards react when she realizes what is in the sack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)