|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Wilsons arrange?
2. What is the paper's foreman the local representative of?
3. Who do the townspeople think helped the Reverend?
4. What did the stranger decide he wanted to do to the town?
5. Which of the following do the reporters make a picture of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the stranger say he devised his scheme?
2. Why does Mr. Richards say Burgess is friendly to them?
3. Why does Richards not tell his wife about the good deed he did for Goodson?
4. What does the stranger tell Mrs. Richards?
5. What does Mrs. Richards learn about the stranger?
6. What does Mrs. Richards say she now thinks about honesty?
7. What do the other towns think of Hadleyburg?
8. Why are the Hadleyburg residents acting so moody?
9. What is Hadleyburg's reputation?
10. What does Wilson accuse Billson of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE MAN THAT CORRUPTED HADLEYBURG is a novella. What are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Mark Twain writes the book in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)