|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where should the candidates appear at 8:00 in the evening on Friday?
2. Which of the following words best describes Pinkerton?
3. What did Goodson tell Richards to do when he tried to convert him?
4. Which of the following do the reporters make a picture of?
5. What does Mr. Richards say he and is wife should remember?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Richards think Burgess is trying to harm him?
2. What same conclusion do Mr. Cox and Mr. Richards come to?
3. What does Jack Halliday notice about the town?
4. What does Halliday notice about the town's citizens after they have received the letters?
5. What rumor does Burgess have to deny?
6. Why is Mrs. Richards angry at her husband?
7. Why does Mr. Richards say Burgess is friendly to them?
8. Why does the stranger say he devised his scheme?
9. How does Burgess try to settle the dispute between Wilson and Burgess?
10. Why does Harkness want to buy the sack from the stranger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about the early 20th century society:
2) Class system.
3) Treatment of outsiders.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)