|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Richards not want to make the matter private?
2. Why does Mrs. Richards say they cannot find the right man?
3. What did Goodson tell Richards to do when he tried to convert him?
4. What does the narrator say Mr. Richards plunges his hands through his hair like?
5. Who did Goodson come close to marrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the stranger have to wait before implementing his plan?
2. What do the Richardses think about during the night?
3. What kindness does Mr. Richards decide he must have performed for Goodson?
4. What does a man say is the difference between Wilson's and Billson's notes?
5. What does the stranger's second note say?
6. Why does Mr. Richards say Burgess is friendly to them?
7. Why do the Richardses summon Burgess to their house?
8. What do the Richardses decide is the best way to identify the rightful owner of the money?
9. How does Mr. Richards react when he reads the stranger's note?
10. How does a minor citizen make everyone in the town hall erupt with laughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Mark Twain uses a fictional town as his setting? How would he have to change the story if he used a real town? How does Twain use his setting to communicate character and theme?
Essay Topic 2
THE MAN THAT CORRUPTED HADLEYBURG is a novella. What are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the story? How do turning points work to keep a reader interested in the story? When does Twain use his turning points and why does he use them at those particular moments in the story?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)