|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Richards imagine Goodson tried to kill himself?
2. Who does Mr. Halliday talk to about Mrs. Wilcox's happiness?
3. What did the residents of Hadleyburg teach their babies in the cradle?
4. Who falls down in this chapter?
5. Complete the following sentence; "A proof once established is _________________."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Richards react when she realizes what is in the sack?
2. Why does Mr. Richards say Burgess is friendly to them?
3. How does Mr. Richards react when he reads the stranger's note?
4. What news spreads around the town about Mr. and Mrs. Richards?
5. Why are similar scenes as the scenes at the Richardses being performed in 18 other houses?
6. Why does the stranger want to do harm to Hadleyburg?
7. How does the town decide to change after the Richardses pass away?
8. Why does a builder come to the town?
9. Why does Mr. Richards not want to accept checks?
10. How does Edward prove himself not as honest as what he would have his wife to believe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Mr. Richards' character to the person he was at the beginning to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Mr. Richards hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events change Mr. Richards' ideas about life?
3) How has Mr. Richards' character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)