|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Mr. Richards plunges his hands through his hair like?
2. Who do Mr. and Mrs. Richards think gave the stranger $20?
3. What does Mrs. Richards say her husband has never uttered?
4. Why did Mr. Richards not tell his wife about the Reverend?
5. What is the old lady reading in the parlor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Richards think he and his wife are not to blame for what happened?
2. What happens in the morning?
3. What does the stranger say should happen if his plan is successful?
4. What do the other towns think of Hadleyburg?
5. How does Mr. Richards think Burgess is trying to harm him?
6. What does Burgess write in his note to Mr. Richards?
7. In what way does the author present Halliday as the only honest character in the story?
8. What does the stranger's second note say?
9. How can the town identify the man?
10. Why is Mrs. Richards angry at her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE MAN THAT CORRUPTED HADLEYBURG is a novella. What are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Mark Twain's novels and stories greatly influenced modern American literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by The Man That Corrupted HAdleyburg and discuss its similarities with the novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)