|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes Pinkerton?
2. What did Goodson tell Richards to do when he tried to convert him?
3. Why does Mrs. Richards say they cannot find the right man?
4. What kind of expression do the town folks' faces have at the end of the week?
5. Who does Mr. Richards think that Goodson despised?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edward prove himself not as honest as what he would have his wife to believe?
2. What does the stranger write in his letter to Mr. Richards?
3. Why does a builder come to the town?
4. Why did the stranger have to wait before implementing his plan?
5. Why did the stranger fashion his scheme around a person that the townsfolk did not like?
6. Why does Mr. Richards say he did not speak up in defense of Burgess?
7. Why does Harkness want to buy the sack from the stranger?
8. How does Mr. Richards react to the sack?
9. How can the town identify the man?
10. Why can the boy not stop the mail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the town of Hadleyburg before the the stranger arrived with the money to the town of Hadleyburg after Mr. and Mrs. Richards' pass away. How did the stranger affect the following areas of Hadleyburg life:
1) The public's trust of their superiors.
2) The town's identity.
3) The town's attitude to outsiders.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)