|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the paper's foreman the local representative of?
2. Why does Mrs. Richards think she and her husband deserve the money?
3. Which of the following does Mrs. Richards use to describe the mentality of the town?
4. Who falls down in this chapter?
5. Why does Mr. Richards not want to make the matter private?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Richardses decide is the best way to identify the rightful owner of the money?
2. What does Jack Halliday notice about the town?
3. How does Mr. Richards think Burgess is trying to harm him?
4. How can the town identify the man?
5. How does Mr. Richards react to the sack?
6. How do the townspeople react when Mr. Richards stands up to address them?
7. Why does a builder come to the town?
8. What does Mr. Richards confess to Burgess?
9. Why can the boy not stop the mail?
10. Why did the stranger fashion his scheme around a person that the townsfolk did not like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the story's premise? Why are premises so important to a story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1900s.
In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
What values does modern society share with 1900s America?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about the early 20th century society:
2) Class system.
3) Treatment of outsiders.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)