|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Richard call Mr. Richards' friend?
2. From what country has the stranger just arrived?
3. Why does Mr. Richards say he published the letter?
4. Why did Mr. Richards not tell his wife about the Reverend?
5. Who falls down in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stranger write in his letter to Mr. Richards?
2. How does Edward prove himself not as honest as what he would have his wife to believe?
3. Why did the stranger have to wait before implementing his plan?
4. What does the Reverend tell the town before they proceed with opening the notes?
5. What does the stranger tell Mrs. Richards?
6. What does the stranger's second note say?
7. Why does a builder come to the town?
8. What kindness does Mr. Richards decide he must have performed for Goodson?
9. How does Wilson get everyone on his side?
10. How does Mr. Richards react to the sack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about the early 20th century society:
2) Class system.
3) Treatment of outsiders.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)