|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Goodson tell Richards to do when he tried to convert him?
2. How does Mr. Richards imagine Goodson tried to kill himself?
3. What does Mrs. Richards say she has been all her life?
4. What did the stranger's plan light his head up with?
5. Why couldn't Mr. Richards have been able to save Goodson from drowning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Richardses decide is the best way to identify the rightful owner of the money?
2. Why does the stranger say he devised his scheme?
3. What happens in the morning?
4. How does a stranger try to get the 18 principals to bid for the sack?
5. How can the town identify the man?
6. What does Jack Halliday notice about the town?
7. What does Burgess write in his note to Mr. Richards?
8. What does Mrs. Richards say she now thinks about honesty?
9. What rumor does Burgess have to deny?
10. Why does Harkness want to buy the sack from the stranger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1900s.
In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
What values does modern society share with 1900s America?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about the early 20th century society:
2) Class system.
3) Treatment of outsiders.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)