|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Richards say it is dreadful to be?
2. From what country has the stranger just arrived?
3. What does Mrs. Richards say it is no time for?
4. What is the old lady reading in the parlor?
5. What happened to Nancy Hewitt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a builder come to the town?
2. How does a stranger try to get the 18 principals to bid for the sack?
3. How do the townspeople react when Mr. Richards stands up to address them?
4. How does Mr. Richards react when he reads the stranger's note?
5. What does the stranger do the next morning?
6. Why do the Richardses become paranoid about church sermons?
7. How does Burgess try to settle the dispute between Wilson and Burgess?
8. How does the town react when Burgess declares that Billson is the rightful heir to the money?
9. What does the stranger tell Mrs. Richards?
10. What does the stranger's second note say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Mr. Richards' character to the person he was at the beginning to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Mr. Richards hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events change Mr. Richards' ideas about life?
3) How has Mr. Richards' character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the story's premise? Why are premises so important to a story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)