|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Richard call Mr. Richards' friend?
(a) Barclay Gordon.
(b) Reverend Burgess.
(c) The stranger.
(d) Mr. Harkness.
2. Which of the following words best describes Pinkerton?
3. Who did the town end up charging?
4. What does the stranger say he used to be?
(a) A con artist.
(b) A bank manager.
(c) An alcoholic.
(d) A gambler.
5. What happened to Nancy Hewitt?
(a) She died.
(b) She ran away.
(c) She joined the marines.
(d) She fell in love with someone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Richards say she wants to be left alone?
2. Who do Mr. and Mrs. Richards think gave the stranger $20?
3. What does Mrs. Richards say she could do for joy?
4. Which of the following do the reporters make a picture of?
5. What does the narrator say Hadlyburg is vain beyond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the stranger fashion his scheme around a person that the townsfolk did not like?
2. How does the stranger say he can make the coins worth their face value in gold?
3. How does a minor citizen make everyone in the town hall erupt with laughter?
4. What does Mrs. Richards say she now thinks about honesty?
5. How does Mr. Richards react to the sack?
6. How does Wilson get everyone on his side?
7. How can the town identify the man?
8. What does the stranger write in his letter to Mr. Richards?
9. How does Mr. Richards think Burgess is trying to harm him?
10. How does Edward prove himself not as honest as what he would have his wife to believe?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)