|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the residents of Hadleyburg teach their babies in the cradle?
(a) The principles of life.
(b) The principles of love.
(c) The principles of honest dealings.
(d) The principles of Christianity.
2. Which of the following people does Mrs. Richards say has twitted them?
(a) The Christians.
(b) The Jeminas.
(c) The Wombles.
(d) The Wilsons.
3. Which of the following do the reporters make a picture of?
(a) The public square.
(b) The stranger.
(c) The public monument.
(d) The war memorial.
4. What kind of tone does the narrator say Mr. Cox speaks in when he says "What possessed you..."?
5. What does Mr. Richards say it is dreadful to be?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author describe Hadleyburg?
2. What is Jack Halliday's job?
3. What does Mrs. Richards say she has been all her life?
4. Who is the letter from?
5. Where should the candidates appear at 8:00 in the evening on Friday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Burgess write in his note to Mr. Richards?
2. How can the town identify the man?
3. What does the stranger tell Mrs. Richards?
4. Why is Mrs. Richards angry at her husband?
5. What does the stranger's second note say?
6. How does Mr. Richards react to the sack?
7. How do the townspeople react when Mr. Richards stands up to address them?
8. How does Hadleyburg make sure all its residents are honest?
9. Why does the stranger say he devised his scheme?
10. What does the stranger write in his letter to Mr. Richards?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)