|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Richard call Mr. Richards' friend?
(a) Barclay Gordon.
(b) Mr. Harkness.
(c) Reverend Burgess.
(d) The stranger.
2. From what country has the stranger just arrived?
3. Which two characters sit in their parlor?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Cox.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Harkness.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Richards.
(d) Halliday and the foreman.
4. How does the author describe Hadleyburg?
(a) Hip and happening.
(b) Fun and immoral.
(c) Spirited and funky.
(d) Honest and upright.
5. Why did Mr. Richards not tell his wife about the Reverend?
(a) She would of turned hysterical.
(b) She would have told the newspaper.
(c) She would have beat up the Reverend.
(d) Her face would have betrayed the secret.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following areas of America does the narrator not mention?
2. Which of the following words best describes Mr. and Mrs. Harkness' state of mind?
3. Why can Mr. Richards not tell his wife how he helped Goodson?
4. Who does Mr. Halliday talk to about Mrs. Wilcox's happiness?
5. Who do Mr. and Mrs. Richards think gave the stranger $20?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Richards react when he reads the stranger's note?
2. Why does the stranger say he devised his scheme?
3. How does the town react when Burgess declares that Billson is the rightful heir to the money?
4. Why does a builder come to the town?
5. Why does the stranger want to do harm to Hadleyburg?
6. What do the Richardses decide is the best way to identify the rightful owner of the money?
7. Why does Mr. Richards think he and his wife are not to blame for what happened?
8. How does Mr. Richards react to the sack?
9. How does the town decide to change after the Richardses pass away?
10. Why does Mr. Richards say Burgess is friendly to them?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)