|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes Pinkerton?
2. Whose opinion does Mrs. Richards say she is now worried about?
(a) James Anderson.
(b) Barclay Gordon.
(c) Reverend Burgess.
(d) Graeme Swann.
3. What does Mrs. Richards say it is no time for?
4. Which of the following people does Mrs. Richards say has twitted them?
(a) The Christians.
(b) The Wombles.
(c) The Wilsons.
(d) The Jeminas.
5. Who does Mr. Richards say is not a bad man?
(a) Sheriff Jonson.
(b) The Reverend Burgess.
(c) Mayor Jacks.
(d) Barclay Gorgon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the whole village now doing in the evenings?
2. What did the residents of Hadleyburg teach their babies in the cradle?
3. Who do Mr. and Mrs. Richards think gave the stranger $20?
4. What does Jack Halliday say Mrs. Wilcox's cat has had?
5. Who did Goodson come close to marrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Hadleyburg residents acting so moody?
2. What does the stranger do the next morning?
3. What do the other towns think of Hadleyburg?
4. Why does Mr. Richards say he did not speak up in defense of Burgess?
5. What does Jack Halliday notice about the town?
6. Why can the boy not stop the mail?
7. How does the stranger say he can make the coins worth their face value in gold?
8. What do the Richardses think about during the night?
9. Why did the stranger have to wait before implementing his plan?
10. In what way does the author present Halliday as the only honest character in the story?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)