|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Nancy Hewitt?
(a) She ran away.
(b) She joined the marines.
(c) She died.
(d) She fell in love with someone else.
2. Which of the following people does Mrs. Richards say has twitted them?
(a) The Christians.
(b) The Wilsons.
(c) The Wombles.
(d) The Jeminas.
3. What kind of tone does the narrator say Mr. Cox speaks in when he says "What possessed you..."?
4. What is the old lady reading in the parlor?
(a) The Guardian.
(b) The New Age Observer.
(c) The Christian Times.
(d) The Missionary Herald.
5. What kind of fit does Mrs. Richards fall into as she feels the sack?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following areas of America does the narrator not mention?
2. What is the name of the stranger who wrote the letter?
3. Why does Mr. Richards say he published the letter?
4. Why did Mr. Richards decide against saving the Reverend Burgess?
5. What did the residents of Hadleyburg keep out of the way of young people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Richards think he and his wife are not to blame for what happened?
2. What does the stranger do the next morning?
3. How does Hadleyburg make sure all its residents are honest?
4. What does the stranger tell Mrs. Richards?
5. How does Burgess try to settle the dispute between Wilson and Burgess?
6. What kindness does Mr. Richards decide he must have performed for Goodson?
7. Why do the Richardses become paranoid about church sermons?
8. How does the town decide to change after the Richardses pass away?
9. Why does the stranger say he devised his scheme?
10. What rumor does Burgess have to deny?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)