|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Richard call Mr. Richards' friend?
(a) The stranger.
(b) Mr. Harkness.
(c) Reverend Burgess.
(d) Barclay Gordon.
2. What does the stranger say he used to be?
(a) A con artist.
(b) An alcoholic.
(c) A bank manager.
(d) A gambler.
3. What does Halliday pretend is a camera?
(a) A cigar box.
(b) A cigarette box.
(c) A fishing rod.
(d) A helmut.
4. Who falls down in this chapter?
(a) Mrs. Harkness.
(b) Mrs. Richards.
(c) Mr. Harkness.
(d) Mr. Richard.
5. What does Mr. Cox's boss say Mr. Cox should not ship until he tells him?
(a) The late mail.
(b) The early mail.
(c) The evening news.
(d) The lunchtime news.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the townfolk found the night after?
2. What is the paper's foreman the local representative of?
3. Who is a puzzled man other than Jack Halliday?
4. What kind of expression do the town folks' faces have at the end of the week?
5. What is the old lady reading in the parlor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Richards react when he reads the stranger's note?
2. Why does the stranger say he devised his scheme?
3. How does Mrs. Richards react when she realizes what is in the sack?
4. Why did the stranger have to wait before implementing his plan?
5. What does Wilson accuse Billson of?
6. What does Jack Halliday notice about the town?
7. What does the stranger say should happen if no one claims the money?
8. What do the other towns think of Hadleyburg?
9. What do the Richardses think about during the night?
10. How does the stranger say he can make the coins worth their face value in gold?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)