|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Cox's boss say Mr. Cox should not ship until he tells him?
(a) The late mail.
(b) The evening news.
(c) The early mail.
(d) The lunchtime news.
2. Which of the following do the reporters not make a picture of?
(a) Mr. Richard's house.
(b) Mr. Cox's house.
(c) The bank.
(d) The sack.
3. What does Mrs. Richards say she could do for joy?
4. Why does Mr. Richards say there is nothing to worry about regarding Reverend Burgess?
(a) He has already forgiven them.
(b) He is a timid man.
(c) He does not know he could have saved him.
(d) He does not care enough about life.
5. Where does the stranger set down his sack in the cashier's house?
(a) Behind the stove.
(b) Under the floorboards.
(c) Under the bed.
(d) On top of the wardrobe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the town end up charging?
2. What do the Wilsons arrange?
3. Why does Mrs. Richards say she wants to be left alone?
4. Which two characters sit in their parlor?
5. What is the old lady reading in the parlor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richards not tell his wife about the good deed he did for Goodson?
2. What does Mr. Richards confess to Burgess?
3. How does Burgess try to settle the dispute between Wilson and Burgess?
4. Why does Mr. Richards say Burgess is not as mean-spirited as the town thinks?
5. Why are similar scenes as the scenes at the Richardses being performed in 18 other houses?
6. What does the stranger do the next morning?
7. In what way does the author present Halliday as the only honest character in the story?
8. What is Hadleyburg's reputation?
9. Why does the stranger say he devised his scheme?
10. What does the stranger write in his letter to Mr. Richards?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)