|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following do the reporters make a picture of?
(a) The public monument.
(b) The public square.
(c) The stranger.
(d) The war memorial.
2. What do Mr. Cox and Mr. Richards drag themselves home like?
(a) Mortally stricken men.
(b) Guilt stricken men.
(c) Love stricken men.
(d) Poverty strcken men.
3. What is the paper's foreman the local representative of?
(a) The Folk Music Association.
(b) The Associated Press.
(c) The local government.
(d) The National Guards.
4. What does Mrs. Richards say she has been all her life?
(a) A humbug.
(b) A firebug.
(c) A lightning bug.
(d) A blowbug.
5. Who does Halliday realize has broken a leg?
(c) Mr. Richard's
(d) Mr. Harkness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the sides of the sack?
2. What do people keep handing the Reverend?
3. What did Goodson tell Richards to do when he tried to convert him?
4. What kind of expression do the town folks' faces have at the end of the week?
5. Who does the stranger say is Goodson's legitimate heir?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Richards react to the sack?
2. What is Hadleyburg's reputation?
3. Why does a builder come to the town?
4. What does Mrs. Richards learn about the stranger?
5. How does the town react when Burgess declares that Billson is the rightful heir to the money?
6. What does the stranger's second note say?
7. What does Wilson accuse Billson of?
8. Why does Mr. Richards say Burgess is not as mean-spirited as the town thinks?
9. Why can the boy not stop the mail?
10. How does the author describe the town hall on the day of the inquiry?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)