|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes Jack Halliday?
(c) Fun loving.
2. Who did Goodson come close to marrying?
(a) Lottie Regal.
(b) Rose Darwin.
(c) Denise Harkness.
(d) Nancy Hewitt.
3. What does the sack contain?
(a) $50 bills.
(d) $100 bills.
4. Which of the following words best describes Pinkerton?
5. Complete the following sentence; "A proof once established is _________________."
(a) Better left so.
(b) A liability.
(c) The truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Richards say there is nothing to worry about regarding Reverend Burgess?
2. What should the candidate hand to Rev. Burgess?
3. Who does the stranger say is Goodson's legitimate heir?
4. What kind of expression do the town folks' faces have at the end of the week?
5. How does Mr. Richards imagine Goodson tried to kill himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hadleyburg's reputation?
2. Why does the stranger want to do harm to Hadleyburg?
3. How does the author describe the town hall on the day of the inquiry?
4. How does Hadleyburg make sure all its residents are honest?
5. How does Mr. Richards react when he reads the stranger's note?
6. How does Mrs. Richards react when she realizes what is in the sack?
7. How does the town react when Burgess declares that Billson is the rightful heir to the money?
8. What do the Richardses decide is the best way to identify the rightful owner of the money?
9. Why does Mr. Richards say Burgess is friendly to them?
10. Why does Harkness want to buy the sack from the stranger?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)