|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Richards say she has been all her life?
(a) A firebug.
(b) A lightning bug.
(c) A blowbug.
(d) A humbug.
2. What does the narrator say Mr. Richards plunges his hands through his hair like?
(a) A hypnotist.
(b) A somnambulist.
(c) A butcher.
(d) A farmer.
3. Why does Mr. Richards not want to make the matter private?
(a) It would be no fun.
(b) The town shares everything.
(c) It would be dishonest.
(d) It would spoil the romance.
4. Who does Mr. Halliday talk to about Mrs. Wilcox's happiness?
(a) The maid.
(b) The footman.
(c) The valet.
(d) The cook.
5. What is the whole village now doing in the evenings?
(b) Staying at home.
(d) Writing articles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people does Mrs. Richards say has twitted them?
2. Who is the letter from?
3. Whose comments does the narrator say became increasingly disagreeable?
4. What should the candidate hand to Rev. Burgess?
5. What does Mr. Cox's boss say Mr. Cox should not ship until he tells him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news spreads around the town about Mr. and Mrs. Richards?
2. How does the town react when Burgess declares that Billson is the rightful heir to the money?
3. What does Halliday notice about the town's citizens after they have received the letters?
4. What does the stranger's second note say?
5. What does Jack Halliday notice about the town?
6. Why does Mr. Richards say Burgess is not as mean-spirited as the town thinks?
7. How does Mr. Richards think Burgess is trying to harm him?
8. How does Mr. Richards react to the sack?
9. What does the Reverend tell the town before they proceed with opening the notes?
10. What do the Richardses decide is the best way to identify the rightful owner of the money?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)