|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the residents of Hadleyburg keep out of the way of young people?
2. What does the narrator say Hadleyburg is known to most Americans as?
(a) Hadleyberg the Discernable.
(b) Hadleyburg the Lovable.
(c) Hadleyburg the Incorruptible.
(d) Hadleyburg the Disruptible.
3. What did Nancy Hewitt have a spoonful of in her veins?
(a) Indian blood.
(b) Negro blood.
(c) Hispanic blood.
(d) Mexican blood.
4. Who does the stranger say is Goodson's legitimate heir?
(b) The Nightingales.
(c) The Richards.
5. What does Mr. Richards say it is dreadful to be?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose opinion does Mrs. Richards say she is now worried about?
2. Which of the following do the reporters not make a picture of?
3. What does Mrs. Richards say it is no time for?
4. Complete the following sentence; "A proof once established is _________________."
5. Who is the letter from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Richards angry at her husband?
2. Why does Richards not tell his wife about the good deed he did for Goodson?
3. What do the Richardses think about during the night?
4. How does Mr. Richards think Burgess is trying to harm him?
5. What does the stranger write in his letter to Mr. Richards?
6. What news spreads around the town about Mr. and Mrs. Richards?
7. In what way does the author present Halliday as the only honest character in the story?
8. Why does Mr. Richards say he did not speak up in defense of Burgess?
9. How does Mrs. Richards react when she realizes what is in the sack?
10. What happens in the morning?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)