|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Richards' servant?
2. What does the narrator say the Richardses were about to learn?
(a) You cannot hide from the truth.
(b) A sin is never forgotten.
(c) A sin takes on new terrors.
(d) Money is everything,
3. Whose is the fifth remark that the Chair reads?
(a) Mr. Smith's.
(b) Mr. Richards'.
(c) Mr. Sargent's.
(d) Mr. Halliday's.
4. What does Mr. Richards call the language in Burgess's note?
(a) High brow.
(c) Low brow.
5. What is written on the second envelope Burgess pulls out of the sack?
(b) The light.
(c) The test.
(d) The riot.
6. Who do the Richardses call during the night?
(b) Mr. Halliday.
(c) The doctor.
(d) The stranger.
7. What is Mr. Wilson's occupation?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A dentist.
(d) A reporter.
8. Who does the Chair call forward to receive the money?
(a) Mr. Dark.
(b) Mr. Wilson.
(c) Mr. Richards.
(d) Mr. Billson.
9. Who talks to the stranger in private?
(a) Mr. Cox.
(b) Mr. Harkness.
(c) Reverend Burgess.
(d) Mr. Richards.
10. Who does Mr. Richards send for?
11. Why does Mr. Richards not want to cash the checks?
(a) He feels too guilty.
(b) He does not need the money.
(c) He thinks it is a trick.
(d) He wants to make his peace with God.
12. What does Mr. Wilson say he thought had taken his note to a different place on his desk?
(a) A bird.
(b) A draft.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A fan.
13. Which of the following couples stands to speak?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Laurel.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Fields.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Richards.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Cox.
14. What does the gold sack stand on?
(a) A stool.
(b) A little table.
(c) A sewing table.
(d) A throne.
15. Complete the following sentence; "When a man's afraid of a ................."?
(a) A pigeon.
(b) A noble woman.
(c) A small child.
(d) Beautiful maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts the hatter?
2. What does Burgess say one of either Mr. Wilson or Mr. Billson has committed?
3. For whom was Mr. Richards going to plead?
4. What tone of voice does the Tanner use to say that the money should be divided among the 18 incorruptibles?
5. What does the stranger say he received when he passed through Hadleyburg?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)