|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Richardses take as a sign of Sarah's guilt?
(a) Her defensiveness.
(b) Her anger.
(c) Her laugh.
(d) Her nerves.
2. Why does the doctor say the town is distressed?
(a) The Richardses were the town's last two honest people.
(b) The Richardses have threatened to kill themselves.
(c) The Richardses have contracted a contagious disease.
(d) The Richardses have burned their money.
3. What does the Chair order Mr. Billson and Mr. Wilson to do?
(a) Be quiet.
(b) Take their seats.
(c) Leave the building.
(d) Apoogize to each other.
4. What does Mr. Richards ask his wife to do to him?
(a) Kiss him.
(b) Kick him.
(c) Fan him.
(d) Slap him.
5. With what does Mr. Wilson charge Mr. Burgess?
(c) Pilfering his note.
6. How does the house react to Mr. Wilson's speech?
(a) They boo.
(b) They applaud.
(c) They sing.
(d) They cheer.
7. What does the narrator say the Richardses were about to learn?
(a) A sin is never forgotten.
(b) Money is everything,
(c) You cannot hide from the truth.
(d) A sin takes on new terrors.
8. What did the Richardses do after the church service?
(a) Talk to Burgess.
(b) Hurry home.
(c) Drink tea.
(d) Go to the railway station.
9. What does Mrs. RIchards say is not tasting good?
(a) The town's vanity.
(b) The town's praise.
(c) Her life.
(d) Her steak.
10. Who does the Reverend say wrote the first remark?
(a) Mr. Harkness.
(b) Mr. Billson.
(c) Mr. Pinkerton.
(d) Mr. Richards.
11. Who do the Richardses imagine is listening to them in the next room?
(a) The stranger.
(b) Their servant.
(c) Mr. Cox.
12. What does Mr. Stephenson write that the Richards' honesty is beyond the reach of?
13. Who talks to the stranger in private?
(a) Mr. Richards.
(b) Reverend Burgess.
(c) Mr. Cox.
(d) Mr. Harkness.
14. What is Wingate's occupation?
(a) A saddler.
(b) A tailor.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A hatter.
15. What will the stranger have to do to catch Hadleyburg napping again?
(a) Rise late.
(b) Bring weapons.
(c) Rise early.
(d) Bring enforcements.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say is quieting down?
2. Who does Richards receive a letter from after throwing the money in the fire?
3. What is the name of the Richards' servant?
4. What does the stranger say he wanted to damage?
5. Whose remark does Burgess open next?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)