|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Richards receive a letter from after throwing the money in the fire?
2. For whom was Mr. Richards going to plead?
(a) The stranger.
(c) The town.
(d) The other men.
3. What are the yellow coins made of?
4. How does the house react to Mr. Wilson's speech?
(a) They applaud.
(b) They boo.
(c) They sing.
(d) They cheer.
5. What does the stranger say he wanted to damage?
(a) The town's goodness.
(b) The town's vanity.
(c) The town's pride.
(d) The town's unity.
6. Which of the following words best describe the Richards' state of mind?
7. What does the narrator say the sermon bristles with?
8. Why does the doctor say the town is distressed?
(a) The Richardses have contracted a contagious disease.
(b) The Richardses have burned their money.
(c) The Richardses have threatened to kill themselves.
(d) The Richardses were the town's last two honest people.
9. What does the narrator say the stranger stands up like?
(a) An English Earl.
(b) An American President.
(c) A Cuban Communist.
(d) An Italian Count.
10. Why does Mr. Richards say he wants people to stay in the room?
(a) He wants to feel energy.
(b) He wants to give a speech.
(c) He wants witnesses.
(d) He wants to feel love.
11. What is Mr. Wilson's occupation?
(a) A dentist.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A doctor.
12. Where does Mr. Richards tell his wife to put the checks?
(a) In the cellar.
(b) In the fire.
(c) In the lake.
(d) In the bank.
13. Who do the Richardses see on the way home?
(a) Mr. Halliday.
(b) Reverend Burgess.
(c) Mr. Cox.
(d) The stranger.
14. What does the narrator say the stranger looks like?
(a) An amateur detective.
(b) A thief.
(c) A butcher.
(d) A dentist.
15. Complete the following sentence; "When a man's afraid of a ................."?
(a) A noble woman.
(b) A pigeon.
(c) Beautiful maid.
(d) A small child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Burgess take out of his pocket?
2. What does the stranger say he received when he passed through Hadleyburg?
3. Who do the Richardses say the checks came from?
4. Where does the stranger take the sack?
5. What do the Richardses have to endure until midnight?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)