|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the town end up charging?
2. Where does the stranger set down his sack in the cashier's house?
(a) On top of the wardrobe.
(b) Under the bed.
(c) Behind the stove.
(d) Under the floorboards.
3. Which two characters sit in their parlor?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Cox.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Harkness.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Richards.
(d) Halliday and the foreman.
4. What does Mr. Richards say he and is wife should remember?
(a) It was ordered.
(b) It was the right thing.
(c) It was the Christian thing.
(d) It was the nice thing.
5. Who does Mr. Richards say is not a bad man?
(a) Mayor Jacks.
(b) Sheriff Jonson.
(c) The Reverend Burgess.
(d) Barclay Gorgon.
6. What did Nancy Hewitt have a spoonful of in her veins?
(a) Indian blood.
(b) Hispanic blood.
(c) Mexican blood.
(d) Negro blood.
7. Who does Mrs. Richard call Mr. Richards' friend?
(a) Mr. Harkness.
(b) Barclay Gordon.
(c) The stranger.
(d) Reverend Burgess.
8. Who does the stranger say is Goodson's legitimate heir?
(c) The Nightingales.
(d) The Richards.
9. Which of the following words best describes Jack Halliday?
(c) Fun loving.
10. Where do the Hadleyburg residents claim their town is destined to live in forever under the word incorruptible?
(a) The theasaurus.
(b) The dictionary.
(c) The encyclopedia.
(d) The national cook book.
11. Who is Mrs. Richards worried will come at any moment?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The stranger.
(d) A burglar.
12. Who did Goodson come close to marrying?
(a) Denise Harkness.
(b) Lottie Regal.
(c) Rose Darwin.
(d) Nancy Hewitt.
13. What does Mr. Cox's boss say Mr. Cox should not ship until he tells him?
(a) The lunchtime news.
(b) The early mail.
(c) The evening news.
(d) The late mail.
14. Why does Mrs. Richards think she and her husband deserve the money?
(a) They are old and poor.
(b) They have workerd hard all their lives.
(c) They will do good things with the money.
(d) They alway help other people.
15. What does the narrator say Hadleyburg is known to most Americans as?
(a) Hadleyburg the Lovable.
(b) Hadleyburg the Incorruptible.
(c) Hadleyberg the Discernable.
(d) Hadleyburg the Disruptible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose comments does the narrator say became increasingly disagreeable?
2. Why does Reverend Burgess like Mr. Richards?
3. What did Goodson tell Richards to do when he tried to convert him?
4. Who do Mr. and Mrs. Richards think gave the stranger $20?
5. What is the whole village now doing in the evenings?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)