|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose comments does the narrator say became increasingly disagreeable?
(a) Mr. Richard's.
(b) The foreman's.
2. What is the paper's foreman the local representative of?
(a) The Associated Press.
(b) The local government.
(c) The Folk Music Association.
(d) The National Guards.
3. What do the Wilsons arrange?
(a) A dinner party.
(b) A fancy dress ball.
(c) A pillow fight.
(d) A sermon.
4. Why does Mr. Richards say there is nothing to worry about regarding Reverend Burgess?
(a) He does not know he could have saved him.
(b) He does not care enough about life.
(c) He is a timid man.
(d) He has already forgiven them.
5. Where should the candidates appear at 8:00 in the evening on Friday?
(a) The assembly hall.
(b) The town hall.
(c) The theater.
(d) The bell tower.
6. What does the narrator say Hadleyburg is known to most Americans as?
(a) Hadleyberg the Discernable.
(b) Hadleyburg the Disruptible.
(c) Hadleyburg the Lovable.
(d) Hadleyburg the Incorruptible.
7. Which of the following words best describes Jack Halliday?
(d) Fun loving.
8. Why does Mrs. Richards say she wants to be left alone?
(a) She is too miserable.
(b) She is too happy.
(c) She is too fat.
(d) She is too ill.
9. Who does Mrs. Richards say her husband is free of?
10. What does the sack contain?
(b) $100 bills.
(d) $50 bills.
11. Why couldn't Mr. Richards have been able to save Goodson from drowning?
(a) There is no lakes in the town.
(b) He would have been at work.
(c) He can't swim.
(d) He is afraid of the water.
12. What does Mr. Richards say he and is wife should remember?
(a) It was the right thing.
(b) It was the nice thing.
(c) It was ordered.
(d) It was the Christian thing.
13. Who does Mr. Stephenson send letters to?
(a) The principal citizens.
(b) The dishonest citizens.
(c) The loyal citizens.
(d) The working class citizens.
14. Who falls down in this chapter?
(a) Mrs. Richards.
(b) Mr. Harkness.
(c) Mrs. Harkness.
(d) Mr. Richard.
15. Whose opinion does Mrs. Richards say she is now worried about?
(a) Barclay Gordon.
(b) James Anderson.
(c) Graeme Swann.
(d) Reverend Burgess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Cox's boss say Mr. Cox should not ship until he tells him?
2. What does the narrator say Hadlyburg is vain beyond?
3. What does Halliday realize are not dead?
4. Why does Reverend Burgess like Mr. Richards?
5. What does the narrator say Mr. Richards plunges his hands through his hair like?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)