|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Richards want to make his proof of mind?
2. Complete the following sentence; "A proof once established is _________________."
(a) The truth.
(b) A liability.
(d) Better left so.
3. What do people keep handing the Reverend?
4. What did Nancy Hewitt have a spoonful of in her veins?
(a) Indian blood.
(b) Mexican blood.
(c) Negro blood.
(d) Hispanic blood.
5. Which of the following words best describes Mr. and Mrs. Harkness' state of mind?
6. Where do the Hadleyburg residents claim their town is destined to live in forever under the word incorruptible?
(a) The dictionary.
(b) The theasaurus.
(c) The encyclopedia.
(d) The national cook book.
7. Which of the following do the reporters make a picture of?
(a) The public square.
(b) The war memorial.
(c) The public monument.
(d) The stranger.
8. Who does Mrs. Richard call Mr. Richards' friend?
(a) Mr. Harkness.
(b) Barclay Gordon.
(c) Reverend Burgess.
(d) The stranger.
9. Why does Mr. Richards say there is nothing to worry about regarding Reverend Burgess?
(a) He has already forgiven them.
(b) He does not care enough about life.
(c) He does not know he could have saved him.
(d) He is a timid man.
10. What does the stranger say he used to be?
(a) An alcoholic.
(b) A con artist.
(c) A bank manager.
(d) A gambler.
11. What does Mr. Richards want to do with the money?
(a) Burn it.
(b) Bury it.
(c) Put it in the bank.
(d) Throw it in the sea.
12. What does Mrs. Richards say it is no time for?
13. Why does Reverend Burgess like Mr. Richards?
(a) He helped him out.
(b) He is a regular at church.
(c) He fixed the Reverend's bicycle.
(d) He made a big donation to the church.
14. What did the stranger decide he wanted to do to the town?
(a) Help it.
(b) Islamize it.
(c) Corrupt it.
(d) Destroy it.
15. Why does Mr. Richards not want to make the matter private?
(a) The town shares everything.
(b) It would spoil the romance.
(c) It would be no fun.
(d) It would be dishonest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Mr. Richards not tell his wife how he helped Goodson?
2. What did the residents of Hadleyburg keep out of the way of young people?
3. Who does the stranger say is Goodson's legitimate heir?
4. Which of the following areas of America does the narrator not mention?
5. What does Halliday realize are not dead?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)