|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Mrs. Richards use to describe the mentality of the town?
2. What does Mrs. Richards say it is no time for?
3. What did the residents of Hadleyburg keep out of the way of young people?
4. What do people keep handing the Reverend?
5. What is the name of the stranger who wrote the letter?
(a) Mr. Stephenson.
(b) Mr. Barrington.
(c) Mr. Jakes.
(d) Mr. Laurel.
6. What do the Wilsons arrange?
(a) A sermon.
(b) A pillow fight.
(c) A dinner party.
(d) A fancy dress ball.
7. Why does Mr. Richards say he published the letter?
(a) He wants to share the riches.
(b) It was the honest thing to do.
(c) It said publish it.
(d) He would have been found out.
8. Where does Mr. Richards meet Mr. Cox?
(a) The church.
(b) The printing office.
(c) The newspaper office.
(d) The town hall.
9. Which two characters sit in their parlor?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Harkness.
(b) Halliday and the foreman.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Cox.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Richards.
10. What is the paper's foreman the local representative of?
(a) The National Guards.
(b) The Associated Press.
(c) The local government.
(d) The Folk Music Association.
11. Whose opinion does Mrs. Richards say she is now worried about?
(a) Graeme Swann.
(b) James Anderson.
(c) Reverend Burgess.
(d) Barclay Gordon.
12. What does Mr. Richards say the town has trained them to think?
13. Why does Mrs. Richards say they cannot find the right man?
(a) He is in another town.
(b) He is in his grave.
(c) He is a con artist.
(d) He is a higher force.
14. Where does the stranger say Goodson made the remark to him?
(a) Berlin Alley.
(b) Hale Alley.
(c) Utopia Alley.
(d) Didcot Alley.
15. What does Mr. Cox's boss say Mr. Cox should not ship until he tells him?
(a) The early mail.
(b) The lunchtime news.
(c) The late mail.
(d) The evening news.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose comments does the narrator say became increasingly disagreeable?
2. What does Mr. Richards say it is dreadful to be?
3. What does Jack Halliday say Mrs. Wilcox's cat has had?
4. Which of the following areas of America does the narrator not mention?
5. What do Mr. Cox and Mr. Richards drag themselves home like?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)