|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Richards say is Mr. Goodson's one vanity?
(a) He thinks he has better hair.
(b) He thinks he is the town's most moral person.
(c) He thinks he gives better advice.
(d) He thinks his wife is the most beautiful.
2. What does Mr. Cox's boss say Mr. Cox should not ship until he tells him?
(a) The early mail.
(b) The late mail.
(c) The lunchtime news.
(d) The evening news.
3. Where does the stranger set down his sack in the cashier's house?
(a) On top of the wardrobe.
(b) Behind the stove.
(c) Under the bed.
(d) Under the floorboards.
4. Which of the following words best describes Mr. and Mrs. Harkness' state of mind?
5. Why does Mr. Richards say he published the letter?
(a) He wants to share the riches.
(b) He would have been found out.
(c) It said publish it.
(d) It was the honest thing to do.
6. Which of the following activities did Mr. and Mrs. Richards used to do in the evening?
(a) Barbecue ribs.
(b) Listen to the radio.
(c) Play chess.
(d) Read books.
7. What does the narrator say Mr. Richards plunges his hands through his hair like?
(a) A butcher.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A hypnotist.
(d) A somnambulist.
8. Which character does the narrator say always notices everything?
(a) Jack Halliday.
(b) Barclay Gordon.
(c) Jack Smitts.
(d) Reverend Burgess.
9. What did Nancy Hewitt have a spoonful of in her veins?
(a) Hispanic blood.
(b) Indian blood.
(c) Mexican blood.
(d) Negro blood.
10. What did the stranger's plan light his head up with?
(c) The luminosity of life.
(d) Evil joy.
11. Why does Mrs. Richards think she and her husband deserve the money?
(a) They are old and poor.
(b) They will do good things with the money.
(c) They alway help other people.
(d) They have workerd hard all their lives.
12. Why does Mrs. Richards say she wants to be left alone?
(a) She is too ill.
(b) She is too fat.
(c) She is too happy.
(d) She is too miserable.
13. Complete the following sentence; "A proof once established is _________________."
(a) The truth.
(c) A liability.
(d) Better left so.
14. Which of the following words best describes Jack Halliday?
(c) Fun loving.
15. How does Mr. Richards imagine Goodson tried to kill himself?
(a) By slitting his wrists.
(b) By shooting himself.
(c) By drowning.
(d) By hanging himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Richards say her husband has never uttered?
2. Why does Mr. Richards not want to make the matter private?
3. Why does Reverend Burgess like Mr. Richards?
4. Which of the following do the reporters make a picture of?
5. Why can Mr. Richards not tell his wife how he helped Goodson?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)