|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Halliday talk to about Mrs. Wilcox's happiness?
(a) The valet.
(b) The cook.
(c) The maid.
(d) The footman.
2. What kind of honesty does Mrs. Richards say the town has trained them to think?
(a) Hateful honesty.
(b) God's honesty.
(c) Artificial honesty.
(d) Idealistic honesty.
3. Which of the following words best describes Mr. and Mrs. Harkness' state of mind?
4. Which of the following words best describes Jack Halliday?
(b) Fun loving.
5. Who did the town end up charging?
6. Where does the stranger say Goodson made the remark to him?
(a) Didcot Alley.
(b) Berlin Alley.
(c) Utopia Alley.
(d) Hale Alley.
7. What does the narrator say Hadlyburg is vain beyond?
8. Why can't the Wilcox's kittens be dead?
(a) They were not born.
(b) The whole town would of heard about it.
(c) The Wilcoxes would hold a funeral.
(d) They are still alive.
9. Who did Goodson come close to marrying?
(a) Nancy Hewitt.
(b) Rose Darwin.
(c) Lottie Regal.
(d) Denise Harkness.
10. What is the name of the stranger who wrote the letter?
(a) Mr. Stephenson.
(b) Mr. Jakes.
(c) Mr. Barrington.
(d) Mr. Laurel.
11. Who is Mrs. Richards worried will come at any moment?
(a) A burglar.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her husband.
(d) The stranger.
12. Why did Mr. Richards decide against saving the Reverend Burgess?
(a) He did not want to be unpopular.
(b) Burgess deserved what he got.
(c) He did not have the pluck.
(d) He was too lazy.
13. Where does the stranger set down his sack in the cashier's house?
(a) Under the bed.
(b) Behind the stove.
(c) Under the floorboards.
(d) On top of the wardrobe.
14. Who does Mr. Stephenson send letters to?
(a) The dishonest citizens.
(b) The loyal citizens.
(c) The working class citizens.
(d) The principal citizens.
15. Which of the following do the reporters not make a picture of?
(a) Mr. Cox's house.
(b) The sack.
(c) The bank.
(d) Mr. Richard's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes Pinkerton?
2. Why does Mr. Richards say he published the letter?
3. What is the old lady reading in the parlor?
4. Why did Mr. Richards not tell his wife about the Reverend?
5. Whose comments does the narrator say became increasingly disagreeable?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)