|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the townspeople think helped the Reverend?
(c) The stranger.
2. What does Mr. Richards say it is dreadful to be?
3. What does Mr. Cox's boss say Mr. Cox should not ship until he tells him?
(a) The late mail.
(b) The lunchtime news.
(c) The early mail.
(d) The evening news.
4. Why does Mr. Richards say he published the letter?
(a) He wants to share the riches.
(b) It said publish it.
(c) He would have been found out.
(d) It was the honest thing to do.
5. What is Jack Halliday's job?
6. Why can Mr. Richards not tell his wife how he helped Goodson?
(a) He made a promise.
(b) She would laugh.
(c) She would divorce him.
(d) It was against the law.
7. What did the stranger's plan light his head up with?
(a) Evil joy.
(d) The luminosity of life.
8. What does Mrs. Richards say she has been all her life?
(a) A blowbug.
(b) A humbug.
(c) A firebug.
(d) A lightning bug.
9. What does the stranger say he used to be?
(a) An alcoholic.
(b) A con artist.
(c) A bank manager.
(d) A gambler.
10. How did Mr. Richards help the Reverend?
(a) He lent him money.
(b) He gave him food.
(c) He got him out of town.
(d) He hid him in his house.
11. What did Goodson tell Richards to do when he tried to convert him?
(a) Marry someone else.
(b) Mind your own business.
(c) Bury your head in the sand.
(d) Pick on someone who cares.
12. What does the narrator say Hadlyburg is vain beyond?
13. What is the whole village now doing in the evenings?
(c) Staying at home.
(d) Writing articles.
14. Whose opinion does Mrs. Richards say she is now worried about?
(a) James Anderson.
(b) Barclay Gordon.
(c) Graeme Swann.
(d) Reverend Burgess.
15. Why does Mr. Richards say there is nothing to worry about regarding Reverend Burgess?
(a) He has already forgiven them.
(b) He is a timid man.
(c) He does not care enough about life.
(d) He does not know he could have saved him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the stranger set down his sack in the cashier's house?
2. What kind of honesty does Mrs. Richards say the town has trained them to think?
3. Who did the town end up charging?
4. Where do the Hadleyburg residents claim their town is destined to live in forever under the word incorruptible?
5. What do Mr. Cox and Mr. Richards drag themselves home like?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)