|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Richards say he feels about helping the Reverend?
2. What does Mr. Richards want to make his proof of mind?
3. What does Mrs. Richards say she has been all her life?
(a) A blowbug.
(b) A lightning bug.
(c) A humbug.
(d) A firebug.
4. What is the old lady reading in the parlor?
(a) The Guardian.
(b) The New Age Observer.
(c) The Christian Times.
(d) The Missionary Herald.
5. Which of the following does Mrs. Richards use to describe the mentality of the town?
6. Where does Mr. Richards meet Mr. Cox?
(a) The church.
(b) The printing office.
(c) The town hall.
(d) The newspaper office.
7. What does the stranger say he used to be?
(a) A gambler.
(b) A con artist.
(c) A bank manager.
(d) An alcoholic.
8. Who do the townspeople think helped the Reverend?
(b) The stranger.
9. What does the narrator say the townfolk found the night after?
(a) Their dishonesty.
(b) Their tongues.
(c) Their love of life.
(d) Their hearts.
10. What does Mrs. Richards say her husband has never uttered?
(a) A curse word.
(b) A lie.
(c) A truth.
(d) A blasphemy.
11. What did the residents of Hadleyburg teach their babies in the cradle?
(a) The principles of honest dealings.
(b) The principles of life.
(c) The principles of Christianity.
(d) The principles of love.
12. Which of the following activities did Mr. and Mrs. Richards used to do in the evening?
(a) Listen to the radio.
(b) Read books.
(c) Play chess.
(d) Barbecue ribs.
13. What does Mr. Richards want to do with the money?
(a) Throw it in the sea.
(b) Bury it.
(c) Put it in the bank.
(d) Burn it.
14. Who is a puzzled man other than Jack Halliday?
(a) The Mayor Snip.
(b) Murray Goodwin.
(c) Mr. Pinkerton.
(d) The Reverend Burgess.
15. What does the narrator say Hadlyburg is vain beyond?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Mr. Richards plunges his hands through his hair like?
2. What happened to Nancy Hewitt?
3. What did the residents of Hadleyburg keep out of the way of young people?
4. Which of the following words best describes Jack Halliday?
5. What does the narrator say Hadleyburg is known to most Americans as?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)