|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Richards say her husband is free of?
2. What does Mr. Richards want to do with the money?
(a) Burn it.
(b) Put it in the bank.
(c) Throw it in the sea.
(d) Bury it.
3. What is the name of the only other town that the narrator mentions?
4. Who does Mr. Richards think that Goodson despised?
5. Why did Mr. Richards decide against saving the Reverend Burgess?
(a) He did not have the pluck.
(b) He was too lazy.
(c) Burgess deserved what he got.
(d) He did not want to be unpopular.
6. What is Jack Halliday's job?
7. What does the narrator say Hadleyburg is known to most Americans as?
(a) Hadleyburg the Lovable.
(b) Hadleyburg the Disruptible.
(c) Hadleyburg the Incorruptible.
(d) Hadleyberg the Discernable.
8. Why does Mr. Richards not want to make the matter private?
(a) It would be dishonest.
(b) It would be no fun.
(c) The town shares everything.
(d) It would spoil the romance.
9. Which of the following words best describes Pinkerton?
10. What do people keep handing the Reverend?
11. Why can Mr. Richards not tell his wife how he helped Goodson?
(a) It was against the law.
(b) She would laugh.
(c) She would divorce him.
(d) He made a promise.
12. What does Mr. Richards want to make his proof of mind?
13. What does Halliday realize are not dead?
(a) The Wilcox's puppies.
(b) The Cox's ducks.
(c) The Richards' chickens.
(d) The Wilcox's kittens.
14. Who is a puzzled man other than Jack Halliday?
(a) The Reverend Burgess.
(b) The Mayor Snip.
(c) Mr. Pinkerton.
(d) Murray Goodwin.
15. Which of the following areas of America does the narrator not mention?
(c) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Nancy Hewitt?
2. What did the stranger decide he wanted to do to the town?
3. How does the narrator describe the sides of the sack?
4. What is the name of the stranger who wrote the letter?
5. Who does the stranger say is Goodson's legitimate heir?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)