* The narrator describes Hadleyburg as a small town renowned for its honesty.
* The residents of Hadleyburg train their citizens in the virtues of honesty as soon as they are born and the lessons continue through their school years.
* Although other towns are jealous of Hadleyburg's reputation, they admit that all a young man from Hadleyburg needs is proof that he is a citizen of the town.
* One day a Hadleyburg citizen insults a stranger passing through the town. The stranger is a vengeful man and promises to get his revenge.
* Six months after the stranger was insulted, he knocks on Mr. and Richards' door, carrying a large sack.
* The stranger tells Mrs. Richards that he is delivering the sack to its rightful owner. He says a note attached to the sack explains everything.
* Mrs. Richards reads the strangers notes. The stranger writes that a Hadleyburg resident once...
This section contains 1,680 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)