|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of philosophy does Augustine have?
2. What is the Fables of Manes?
(a) A book written by Aesop.
(b) A book of fables about the creation of the earth.
(c) A book that tells how to care for horses.
(d) A book of the Manicheans.
3. Where does Augustine go to study?
(d) The Vatican.
4. How could Augustine's "journey" be categorized?
(a) From riches to rags.
(b) From rags to riches.
(c) From prison to ruling a country.
(d) From one of being a sinful youth to becoming a great investigator of the truth and of the nature of God.
5. What is better to seek after than earthly pleasures?
(a) Joyful living with God.
(b) Heaven through being an ascetic.
(c) Marriage and propagating as God commanded.
(d) To be kind to all.
6. Why do Augustine and his friends steal a pear?
(a) Because they are hungry students.
(b) Because there is a beggar who is starving and they give it to him.
(c) Because the owner of the fruit trees had insulted them.
(d) For the pure pleasure of thievery.
7. What author does Augustine dislike?
8. Why is Augustine unable to believe in Jesus?
(a) He thinks Jesus is too good to be true.
(b) He thinks it is impossible for God to be also human.
(c) He thinks Christ would be defiled by being born of the Virgin Mary.
(d) He thinks Jesus wasn't a real person.
9. How would you characterize Augustine in this Book?
(a) A mama's boy.
(b) A serious and studies young man.
(c) A sinful young man.
(d) A pious young man.
10. What is Augustine thinking of doing?
(b) Taking vows as a monk.
(c) Going on a mission to Britain.
(d) Moving back to Carthage.
11. On what does Augustine eventually blame his actions?
(a) His parents pushing his to succeed.
(b) His own violition.
(c) God's disinterest in him.
(d) An evil force.
12. What happens when men act wickedly?
(a) They enjoy evil passions.
(b) They are punished either now or later.
(c) They do damage to their own soul.
(d) They chose their will and not God's.
13. What does Augustine feel when he reads of Zeus engaging in fornication and being powerful?
(b) He wants to do these deeds.
(d) Curious as to why a god would do that.
14. Besides thievery, in what is Augustine involved?
(c) Cheating on his exams.
15. Where does Monica want Augustine to be?
(a) In Carthage and Africa.
(b) In Florence.
(c) In Rome.
(d) In the Vatican.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is something Augustine finds very difficult to follow in real life?
2. Why does Augustine read books of rhetoric?
3. What happens to a friend who is ill and unconscious?
4. What is Augustine's position in his circle of friends?
5. What does Augustine fear that the pagan myths that he learned studying literature led to?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)