|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Augustine teach?
(a) Liberal arts and rhetoric.
(b) Painting and architecture.
(d) Algebra and Calculus.
2. Why does Augustine find a woman to live with him while his fiance is too young?
(a) He cannot stand to be without a woman.
(b) He is soft hearted and she needs a home.
(c) He thinks a man should always have a woman to show him the right way to live.
(d) He wants to provide a home for this woman until she has his baby.
3. In what does Augustine try to be honest?
(a) In the various competitions in which he participates.
(b) In how he teaches.
(c) In paying his taxes to Rome.
(d) In telling his parents about his life.
4. Why does Augustine wish his family had arranged a marriage for him?
(a) So that at least his sexual lust would have produced a family.
(b) So his mother could be taken care of.
(c) So that he wouldn't have to become a monk.
(d) For the prestige that a marriage could have brought.
5. Who is Fautus?
(a) Bishop of the Manicheans.
(b) Archbishop of Carthage.
(c) A character in a play by Cicero.
(d) The Pope's Secretary.
6. What is the Fables of Manes?
(a) A book that tells how to care for horses.
(b) A book of the Manicheans.
(c) A book written by Aesop.
(d) A book of fables about the creation of the earth.
7. What author does Augustine dislike?
8. What does Augustine feel when he reads of Zeus engaging in fornication and being powerful?
(c) He wants to do these deeds.
(d) Curious as to why a god would do that.
9. At the beginning of this book, where is Augustine a student?
(a) School of Rhetoric in Carthage.
(b) He is out of school.
(c) Lysortium Rhetorium in Rome.
(d) School of Philosophy in Athens.
10. What does Augustine find odd about Hortensius?
(a) He is a very religious man.
(b) It is written in Hebrew.
(c) It is very strongly biased towards Christianity.
(d) It does not promote any religion or sect.
11. What is the meaning of the phrase that God creates man in his own image?
(a) That God has a physical body very much like that of a man.
(b) It means God creates only man; woman already existed.
(c) That man needed God's image and woman don't as they are already pure.
(d) It is a metaphor referring to the Godlike attributes of man being also a creative and reasoning creature.
12. Besides thievery, in what is Augustine involved?
(d) Cheating on his exams.
13. What about Augustine are both of his parents proud?
(a) His wit.
(b) His appeal to women.
(c) His kindness.
(d) His intellect.
14. Who writes Hortensius?
15. Who leaves Augustine to return to Africa?
(a) His mother.
(c) His mistress of many years.
(d) His best friend Alypius.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Augustine's native language?
2. Instead of learning Christian stories, what does Augustine learn?
3. What does Alypius finally give up doing?
4. What do the Manicheans believe about man's soul?
5. What does Augustine fear that the pagan myths that he learned studying literature led to?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)