|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book V.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when men act wickedly?
(a) They do damage to their own soul.
(b) They are punished either now or later.
(c) They chose their will and not God's.
(d) They enjoy evil passions.
2. What does Augustine struggle to learn in school?
(a) To learn the rules of mathematics.
(b) To be humble when he knows more than the teachers.
(c) To learn Latin grammar and works by Virgil, such as the Aeneid.
(d) To get along well with his classmates.
3. What is better to seek after than earthly pleasures?
(a) Joyful living with God.
(b) To be kind to all.
(c) Marriage and propagating as God commanded.
(d) Heaven through being an ascetic.
4. What notion does Augustine attack?
(a) That if one studies diligently, one can come to understand how the world works.
(b) That there is no wrong behavior.
(c) That women are not equal to men.
(d) The idea of the innocence of childhood.
5. How does Augustine later view the Manichean myths?
(a) As correct by incomplete.
(b) As ridiculous.
(c) As evil.
(d) As misguided.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Augustine read books of rhetoric?
2. What does Hortensius promote?
3. What does Augustine fear that the pagan myths that he learned studying literature led to?
4. What book does Augustine understand that challenges many people?
5. For what is there always a rationale?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)