|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book V.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of behavior is not tolerate in Rome?
(a) Showing no regard for one's parents.
(b) Students who are disruptive.
(c) Refusing to stand when a teacher enters.
(d) Spitting on the streets.
2. What does Augustine fabricate in order to be accepted by his peers?
(a) Stories of sexual conquests.
(b) Stories of his sisters' beauty.
(c) Stories of the wealth of his family.
(d) Stories about meeting the Emperor.
3. Though Augustine is proficient in learning the sciences and philosophy of his time what is he unable to formulate?
(a) A personal moral system on the use of knowledge.
(b) A personal belief system.
(c) How the Manichean thought system can be used in the area of mathematics.
(d) A way to merge Manichean and Chrisitan philosophies.
4. What drives Augustine farther away from thoughts of God?
(a) Making money.
(b) Sexual adventures.
(c) Studying the Greek philosophers.
(d) Being a soldier.
5. How does Augustine change his view of evil?
(a) He sees that evil only exists as a concept and is not real.
(b) He sees that evil is caused by corruption and lack of good.
(c) He believes evil is created by God and can be annihilated by God.
(d) He sees there is not such thing as evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Augustine read books of rhetoric?
2. In what does Augustine try to be honest?
3. Why is Augustine unable to believe in Jesus?
4. Why should Monica think Rome is a good place for Augustine?
5. How does Augustine possibly cross the boundaries between friendship and sex?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)