|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At one point, what does Augustine believe about evil?
(a) That it is as powerful a force as God.
(b) That it is an independant force.
(c) That it doesn't exist.
(d) That it is just one aspect of God.
2. Into what has St. Augustine sunk?
(a) A pit of despair.
(b) The a life of glory for God.
(c) A deep depression.
(d) Sin and lustful behavior.
3. What does Augustine fear that the pagan myths that he learned studying literature led to?
(a) His personal corruption.
(b) A slovenly attitude towards studying.
(c) Being unable to pray for years.
(d) A lack of faith in the true God.
4. What does Augustine resent about his studies of Latin and Greek literature?
(a) How he was led astray morally by some of the stories.
(b) How the teachers thought they were so important.
(c) How it took up so much of his youth.
(d) How it alienates him from his classmates.
5. Why does Augustine wish his family had arranged a marriage for him?
(a) For the prestige that a marriage could have brought.
(b) So that he wouldn't have to become a monk.
(c) So his mother could be taken care of.
(d) So that at least his sexual lust would have produced a family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Augustine's future struggles in life?
2. Why does he prefer that sect at that time in his life?
3. What sect does Augustine prefer?
4. What drives Augustine farther away from thoughts of God?
5. Why does Augustine write the confessions?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)