|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book XI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Augustine get in trouble?
(a) He follows his friends who are smarter than he.
(b) He is angry with his father.
(c) He believes he deserves a better life.
(d) He has no discipline.
2. What notion does Augustine attack?
(a) The idea of the innocence of childhood.
(b) That if one studies diligently, one can come to understand how the world works.
(c) That there is no wrong behavior.
(d) That women are not equal to men.
3. In the Manichean doctrine, what does light and darkness represent?
(a) The way and the non-way.
(b) Morality and immorality.
(c) Good and evil.
(d) The smooth path and the rocky path.
4. To what does Augustine compare the recitation of a psalm?
(a) The song of creation.
(b) Hope spoken.
(d) The passing of one human life or all of human history.
5. Who joins Augustus in Milan?
(a) His mother.
(b) No one.
(c) His wife.
(d) His brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alypius finally give up doing?
2. What does Augustine see as his responsibility?
3. What do the Manicheans believe when one their "Elect" digest food gifts?
4. What is Augustine's new life?
5. What does a Christian priest predict of Augustine?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)