|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is there always a rationale?
(a) Studying esoteric philosophies.
(b) Going to Rome.
(d) Making money.
2. Where does Monica want Augustine to be?
(a) In Florence.
(b) In the Vatican.
(c) In Rome.
(d) In Carthage and Africa.
3. What happens when men act wickedly?
(a) They are punished either now or later.
(b) They do damage to their own soul.
(c) They chose their will and not God's.
(d) They enjoy evil passions.
4. Who is Simplicianus?
(a) Augustine's mother's older brother.
(b) Augustine's new born son.
(c) An old man and a teacher of Ambrose.
(d) One of the teachers in Carthage whom Augustine despises.
5. How does Augustine see Christianity as being deficient?
(a) It doesn't promote change through violence or any means possible.
(b) It fails to impress Augustine with its superior viewpoint to the many other religions and sects available.
(c) It is too simplistic.
(d) It is too improbable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What motivates Augustine's decision to become a philosopher?
2. How long as Augustine been a member of the Manichean sect when he is 29?
3. Where does Augustine go to study?
4. On what does Augustine eventually blame his actions?
5. Why does Augustine read books of rhetoric?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)