|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Zeno say he returned to Trieste after being separated from his family?
2. What was the state of Carla's virtue before Zeno's affair with her?
3. Why did Ada say Zeno was good?
4. In Chapter 5, what did Zeno think of Ada's babies?
5. What disease was Ada diagnosed with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ada go to the sanatorium?
2. What did Zeno initially think of Carla's speaking voice and singing talent?
3. How did Ada react when Carmen joined the staff in Guido's office?
4. Why did Zeno become dissatisfied with psychoanalysis?
5. What was the state of Zeno's marriage after his affair with Carla ended?
6. Why did Carla break off the affair with Zeno?
7. How does Zeno describe his feelings for Ada after his marriage?
8. In Chapter 5, was Zeno still in love with Ada?
9. How did Carla get money for her daily needs?
10. Why does Zeno say he began to make up dreams to report to the doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zeno has a love/hate relationship with smoking. Examine the nature of a love/hate relationship.
1) Why would someone do something he hated?
2) What sort of gratification would a person get from engaging in activity that he both loved and hated?
3) How is it possible to love and hate something at the same time?
Essay Topic 2
Respond to Zeno's desire to fall in live with Ada and marry her.
1) Why does he choose her?
2) What qualities in Ada does he enjoy besides her looks?
3) Do they have anything in common?
4) Can someone choose to fall in love?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Zeno's personality, values, and habits with those of his father.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)