|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zeno worry that Carla would want from him?
2. What did Zeno think the first time Carla sang for him?
3. In Chapter 6, what did Zeno say the freedom to smoke gave him?
4. How did Zeno feel about diabetes when he thought he'd be diagnosed with it?
5. At first, what did Zeno and Guido spend a great deal of time doing instead of working?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zeno flirt with Teresina?
2. In Chapter 4, how does Zeno describe his feelings towards his wife?
3. How did Zeno feel about cheating on Augusta?
4. What was the state of Zeno's marriage after his affair with Carla ended?
5. What effect did World War I have on Zeno's business ability?
6. How did Carla get money for her daily needs?
7. In Chapter 5, was Zeno still in love with Ada?
8. Why did Ada go to the sanatorium?
9. After Guido's death, what did Ada say about her feelings for him and what did she admit she felt about Augusta's relationship with Zeno?
10. Why did Zeno visit Dr. Paoli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Zeno's desire to be liked.
1) Why is it important to Zeno that others like him even if he doesn't really like them?
2) How does Zeno attempt to make people like him?
3) Does anyone genuinely like Zeno for whom he is and in spite of his flaws?
4) Does Zeno like himself?
Essay Topic 2
Eventually, Zeno comes to feel healthy and even becomes motivated to work. When he gets started in business, he finds that he is successful.
1) What is Zeno's idea of health?
2) To what do you attribute his new found health?
3 ) Was Zeno cured? If so, from what and by whom?
4) Why is he finally successful in business?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Zeno's personality, values, and habits with those of his father.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)