|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zeno usually treat Augusta during his affair with Carla?
2. How many months did Zeno spend away from the office in Chapter 5?
3. What surprised Zeno about Augusta?
4. Whom did Augusta say Antonia resembled?
5. What was the state of Carla's virtue before Zeno's affair with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Carmen well qualified for the job Guido hired her to do?
2. In Chapter 5, was Zeno still in love with Ada?
3. How did Zeno feel about cheating on Augusta?
4. Why did Zeno seem pleased about Teresina's rejection of him?
5. Why does Zeno say he began to make up dreams to report to the doctor?
6. How does Zeno describe his home life with Augusta?
7. According to Dr. S, what was Zeno's main problem? How did Dr. S determine Zeno's main problem?
8. What was the state of Zeno's marriage after his affair with Carla ended?
9. Why did Zeno become dissatisfied with psychoanalysis?
10. How does Zeno say he felt after learning that he did not have diabetes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zeno has a love/hate relationship with smoking. Examine the nature of a love/hate relationship.
1) Why would someone do something he hated?
2) What sort of gratification would a person get from engaging in activity that he both loved and hated?
3) How is it possible to love and hate something at the same time?
Essay Topic 2
Zeno questions whether he is good in this book.
1) Is Zeno good?
2) What does it mean to be good or bad?
3) Can a person be all good or all bad?
4) Does Zeno ever decide whether he is good or not?
Essay Topic 3
Respond to Zeno's behavior of marking anniversaries and other events with L.C.
1) Does this make the anniversary or event seem less important?
2) Does it seem that Zeno makes smoking the matter of chief importance in his life?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)