|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ada's illness make Augusta's family act towards Zeno?
2. What decisive action did Carla take to end her affair with Zeno?
3. Who was the fifth addition to the office Zeno shared with Guido?
4. How did Zeno usually treat Augusta during his affair with Carla?
5. Why did Guido pretend to commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zeno write about his truthfulness in writing his memoirs?
2. Why did Zeno become dissatisfied with psychoanalysis?
3. How did Carla get money for her daily needs?
4. What kind of businessman did Guido turn out to be?
5. In Chapter 5, was Zeno still in love with Ada?
6. Why did Zeno seem pleased about Teresina's rejection of him?
7. What were some of the reasons Zeno went into business with Guido?
8. How does Zeno describe his home life with Augusta?
9. Why does Zeno say he began to make up dreams to report to the doctor?
10. Why did Zeno visit Dr. Paoli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the way Zeno feels about his father before he learns that he is dying with the way he feels about him once he learns that he is ill, and there's no hope.
Essay Topic 2
Zeno has a love/hate relationship with smoking. Examine the nature of a love/hate relationship.
1) Why would someone do something he hated?
2) What sort of gratification would a person get from engaging in activity that he both loved and hated?
3) How is it possible to love and hate something at the same time?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Zeno's personality, values, and habits with those of his father.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)