|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As time goes on, Zeno found new ways to justify his relationship with Carla. What was one of them?
2. What does Zeno say he realized with horror after giving up treatment?
3. What did Zeno tell himself he was going to do when he visited Carla for the third time?
4. How many months did Zeno spend away from the office in Chapter 5?
5. At first, what did Zeno and Guido spend a great deal of time doing instead of working?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Zeno feel about cheating on Augusta?
2. According to Dr. S, what was Zeno's main problem? How did Dr. S determine Zeno's main problem?
3. In Chapter 5, was Zeno still in love with Ada?
4. What was the state of Zeno's marriage after his affair with Carla ended?
5. How does Zeno describe his feelings for Ada after his marriage?
6. How did Ada react when Carmen joined the staff in Guido's office?
7. What were some of the reasons Zeno went into business with Guido?
8. Why did Ada go to the sanatorium?
9. What excuse did Zeno invent to see Carla for the first time without Copler?
10. Why did Carla break off the affair with Zeno?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Zeno's personality, values, and habits with those of his father.
Essay Topic 2
Zeno describes a situation in which his father raised his leg to kick him.
1) How do you think this colored his relationship with his father?
2) Do you think Zeno felt in competition with his father?
3) Is this related to Zeno kicking Guido's dog? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Zeno's frequent lies and made up stories.
1) Why does Zeno make up lies to entertain others?
2) Do the lies entertain him as well?
3) How do the lies make him feel?
4) Do his made-up stories achieve the effect he desires?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)