|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Zeno say he returned to Trieste after being separated from his family?
2. What decisive action did Carla take to end her affair with Zeno?
3. In one of his memories, Zeno's father raises his leg to kick him. What or whom did Zeno kick when no one was looking?
4. What disease was Ada diagnosed with?
5. Why did Ada say Zeno was good?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Carla break off the affair with Zeno?
2. Why did Ada go to the sanatorium?
3. What effect did World War I have on Zeno's business ability?
4. In Chapter 5, was Zeno still in love with Ada?
5. How and why did Zeno meet Carla?
6. How did Carla get money for her daily needs?
7. According to Dr. S, what was Zeno's main problem? How did Dr. S determine Zeno's main problem?
8. How did Zeno attempt to train the dog Guido brought to the office? Why?
9. In Chapter 4, how does Zeno describe his feelings towards his wife?
10. What did Dr. S. say to Zeno when he ran into him by chance in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Zeno's relationship with Guido.
1) Does he like him or dislike him?
2) Would Zeno be friends with Guido if he wasn't married to Ada?
3) In Chapter 5, why does Ada say Zeno hated Guido? Is she correct?
Essay Topic 2
Respond to Zeno's desire to fall in live with Ada and marry her.
1) Why does he choose her?
2) What qualities in Ada does he enjoy besides her looks?
3) Do they have anything in common?
4) Can someone choose to fall in love?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Zeno's personality, values, and habits with those of his father.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)