|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ada say Zeno was good?
2. After Zeno describes a particular dream, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What did the woman in his dream look like?
3. How does Zeno say he found solitude in Chapter 6?
4. With whom did Carla live?
5. Why did Copler take Zeno to meet Carla?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excuse did Zeno invent to see Carla for the first time without Copler?
2. Why did Zeno visit Dr. Paoli?
3. How did Zeno feel about cheating on Augusta?
4. What did Dr. S. say to Zeno when he ran into him by chance in Chapter 6?
5. According to Dr. S, what was Zeno's main problem? How did Dr. S determine Zeno's main problem?
6. What kind of businessman did Guido turn out to be?
7. What did Zeno initially think of Carla's speaking voice and singing talent?
8. How did Zeno attempt to train the dog Guido brought to the office? Why?
9. How did Ada react when Carmen joined the staff in Guido's office?
10. Was Carmen well qualified for the job Guido hired her to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zeno seems to think that death washes a person's flaws clean.
1) Give examples from the book that illustrate this thinking?
2) Why does Zeno seem to love some people more when they are dead?
Essay Topic 2
Zeno has a love/hate relationship with smoking. Examine the nature of a love/hate relationship.
1) Why would someone do something he hated?
2) What sort of gratification would a person get from engaging in activity that he both loved and hated?
3) How is it possible to love and hate something at the same time?
Essay Topic 3
Eventually, Zeno comes to feel healthy and even becomes motivated to work. When he gets started in business, he finds that he is successful.
1) What is Zeno's idea of health?
2) To what do you attribute his new found health?
3 ) Was Zeno cured? If so, from what and by whom?
4) Why is he finally successful in business?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)