|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what did Zeno say the freedom to smoke gave him?
2. To what does Zeno usually attribute many of his shortcomings?
3. Why does Zeno think Carmen screamed on the boat?
4. How did Zeno feel when he thought of Augusta taking a second husband?
5. How many months did Zeno spend away from the office in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Dr. S, what was Zeno's main problem? How did Dr. S determine Zeno's main problem?
2. What was the state of Zeno's marriage after his affair with Carla ended?
3. How does Zeno say he felt after learning that he did not have diabetes?
4. What did Dr. S. say to Zeno when he ran into him by chance in Chapter 6?
5. What did Zeno write about his truthfulness in writing his memoirs?
6. How did Carla get money for her daily needs?
7. What were some of the reasons Zeno went into business with Guido?
8. How does Zeno describe his home life with Augusta?
9. What effect did World War I have on Zeno's business ability?
10. Why did Zeno seem pleased about Teresina's rejection of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Respond to Zeno's marriage to Augusta after asking two of her other sisters to marry him.
1) Describe the opinion you think each sister would have of him after his proposal.
2) Describe what Alberta and Ada might think of Augusta's chances for a happy marriage.
3) Describe how Augusta might feel marrying a man she loves though she knows he loves her sister.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, what is the reason you believe Zeno doesn't make a serious effort to work?
1) Is it due to inability or lack of a business mind?
2) Is it due to his father's lack of faith in him?
3) Is it fear of failure?
4) Does it have anything to do with poor self esteem?
Essay Topic 3
Zeno seems to use his addiction to smoking as an excuse for various types of troubling behavior. Examine this behavior.
1) Does his smoking really cause his problems?
2) Does he enjoy having an excuse not to excel?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)