|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the doctor say Zeno adopted smoking as his vice?
2. Why didn't Copler learn of the relationship between Carla and Zeno?
3. How did Zeno feel about diabetes when he thought he'd be diagnosed with it?
4. How does Zeno say he found solitude in Chapter 6?
5. With whom does Zeno say he returned to Trieste after being separated from his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zeno seem pleased about Teresina's rejection of him?
2. Why did Ada go to the sanatorium?
3. What did Dr. S. say to Zeno when he ran into him by chance in Chapter 6?
4. How does Zeno describe his home life with Augusta?
5. Why did Zeno visit Dr. Paoli?
6. What was the state of Zeno's marriage after his affair with Carla ended?
7. What did Zeno initially think of Carla's speaking voice and singing talent?
8. After Guido's death, what did Ada say about her feelings for him and what did she admit she felt about Augusta's relationship with Zeno?
9. How did Zeno feel about cheating on Augusta?
10. Why does Zeno say he began to make up dreams to report to the doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Zeno want to possess all of Giovanni's daughters before he even meets them.
1) What does Zeno want from Giovanni's daughters?
2) Does he still want to possess Augusta even though he says she's ugly? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Respond to Zeno's marriage to Augusta after asking two of her other sisters to marry him.
1) Describe the opinion you think each sister would have of him after his proposal.
2) Describe what Alberta and Ada might think of Augusta's chances for a happy marriage.
3) Describe how Augusta might feel marrying a man she loves though she knows he loves her sister.
Essay Topic 3
Eventually, Zeno comes to feel healthy and even becomes motivated to work. When he gets started in business, he finds that he is successful.
1) What is Zeno's idea of health?
2) To what do you attribute his new found health?
3 ) Was Zeno cured? If so, from what and by whom?
4) Why is he finally successful in business?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)