|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the doctor say about the effect of cigarette smoking on Zeno?
2. What did Zeno think of Carla?
3. What did Carla do with the first envelope of money Zeno offered her?
4. Why didn't Guido want an office near the warehouse?
5. Where did Copler get the money to provide for Carla's support?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Carla get money for her daily needs?
2. How does Zeno describe his feelings for Ada after his marriage?
3. What excuse did Zeno invent to see Carla for the first time without Copler?
4. What did Zeno initially think of Carla's speaking voice and singing talent?
5. According to Dr. S, what was Zeno's main problem? How did Dr. S determine Zeno's main problem?
6. Why did Zeno seem pleased about Teresina's rejection of him?
7. What were some of the reasons Zeno went into business with Guido?
8. Did Zeno want to go into business with Guido?
9. Why did Ada go to the sanatorium?
10. Why did Zeno become dissatisfied with psychoanalysis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From Chapter 1, respond to Zeno's assertion that you can only maintain the noble attitude you struck by making a resolution by actually breaking and renewing the resolution.
Essay Topic 2
Zeno describes a situation in which his father raised his leg to kick him.
1) How do you think this colored his relationship with his father?
2) Do you think Zeno felt in competition with his father?
3) Is this related to Zeno kicking Guido's dog? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Zeno seems to use his addiction to smoking as an excuse for various types of troubling behavior. Examine this behavior.
1) Does his smoking really cause his problems?
2) Does he enjoy having an excuse not to excel?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)