|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zeno say he came to steal?
2. What was the name of the doctor who cared for Zeno's father until his death?
3. How many commandments did Giovanni write in Zeno's notebook?
4. How does Zeno describe the flavor of a last cigarette?
5. What did Zeno's relatives reveal about his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zeno write about marriage and Mother Nature?
2. Why did Zeno become upset with the doctor who had the electricity machine?
3. How did Zeno feel he compared to his father?
4. What does Zeno write about tears and faults?
5. Why did Zeno's father say Zeno was mad?
6. What did Zeno say to Maria when she initially cried over his father's condition?
7. Why does Zeno say it was difficult for him to spend time with his father?
8. Did Zeno tell Augusta that he loved her before they were married?
9. How did Zeno escape from the sanatorium?
10. What does the doctor apologize for in the preface? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Respond to Zeno's hypochondria.
1) Why does Zeno make up or imagine illnesses?
2) Why does he want to be ill?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Zeno's desire to be liked.
1) Why is it important to Zeno that others like him even if he doesn't really like them?
2) How does Zeno attempt to make people like him?
3) Does anyone genuinely like Zeno for whom he is and in spite of his flaws?
4) Does Zeno like himself?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Zeno want to possess all of Giovanni's daughters before he even meets them.
1) What does Zeno want from Giovanni's daughters?
2) Does he still want to possess Augusta even though he says she's ugly? Why?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)