|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Guido Speier?
2. Whom did Zeno ask to marry him next when Ada refused?
3. A doctor asked Zeno's father to return for a follow-up visit after a few weeks. Why didn't his father go back to the doctor?
4. How did Zeno feel after his future wife accepted his proposal?
5. How does Zeno describe his father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the last thing Zeno's father did before he died?
2. Why did Zeno become upset with the doctor who had the electricity machine?
3. What two events does Zeno say stopped him from stealing?
4. Who asked Zeno to write his own autobiography? Why?
5. Did Zeno tell Augusta that he loved her before they were married?
6. How does Zeno say his future father-in-law treated him?
7. How does Zeno describe his future father-in-law?
8. What does the doctor apologize for in the preface? Why?
9. Did Zeno's wife feel alarmed about Zeno's addiction to cigarettes?
10. What does Zeno say he thinks will happen to pain and pleasure after death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zeno seems to think that death washes a person's flaws clean.
1) Give examples from the book that illustrate this thinking?
2) Why does Zeno seem to love some people more when they are dead?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Zeno's personality, values, and habits with those of his father.
Essay Topic 3
Zeno questions whether he is good in this book.
1) Is Zeno good?
2) What does it mean to be good or bad?
3) Can a person be all good or all bad?
4) Does Zeno ever decide whether he is good or not?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)