|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea did Zeno's wife have for helping him to quit smoking?
2. What did Zeno's father do right before he died?
3. What was Guido teaching the family when Zeno professed his love for Ada?
4. What does Zeno describe as his second trouble?
5. What emotions did Zeno feel when he realized his father was close to death thanks to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the last thing Zeno's father did before he died?
2. Who asked Zeno to write his own autobiography? Why?
3. Did Zeno tell Augusta that he loved her before they were married?
4. Why did Zeno go to see Dr. Canestrini?
5. Did Zeno's wife feel alarmed about Zeno's addiction to cigarettes?
6. What did Zeno say to Maria when she initially cried over his father's condition?
7. How did Ada behave towards Zeno while he was intent on falling in love with her?
8. Did Zeno's father regain consciousness and return to normal before he died?
9. How did Zeno initially describe Augusta?
10. Why did Zeno's father say Zeno was mad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Zeno's desire to be liked.
1) Why is it important to Zeno that others like him even if he doesn't really like them?
2) How does Zeno attempt to make people like him?
3) Does anyone genuinely like Zeno for whom he is and in spite of his flaws?
4) Does Zeno like himself?
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, what is the reason you believe Zeno doesn't make a serious effort to work?
1) Is it due to inability or lack of a business mind?
2) Is it due to his father's lack of faith in him?
3) Is it fear of failure?
4) Does it have anything to do with poor self esteem?
Essay Topic 3
Respond to Zeno's desire to fall in live with Ada and marry her.
1) Why does he choose her?
2) What qualities in Ada does he enjoy besides her looks?
3) Do they have anything in common?
4) Can someone choose to fall in love?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)