|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Guido do better than Zeno?
2. How does Zeno say he came to steal?
3. How long did Zeno listen to his friend's lecture about the Greeks and the Hebrews?
4. How did Zeno try to impress Ada and her sisters?
5. Who managed Zeno's father's business affairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Zeno get his first cigarette, and how does he describe the first cigarettes he ever smoked?
2. After Guido's death, what did Ada say about her feelings for him and what did she admit she felt about Augusta's relationship with Zeno?
3. What did Zeno write about marriage and Mother Nature?
4. How did Ada react when Carmen joined the staff in Guido's office?
5. How did Ada behave towards Zeno while he was intent on falling in love with her?
6. How does Zeno say he felt after learning that he did not have diabetes?
7. How did Zeno escape from the sanatorium?
8. Did Zeno's wife feel alarmed about Zeno's addiction to cigarettes?
9. Why does the doctor say he published Zeno's memoirs?
10. In Chapter 4, how does Zeno describe his feelings towards his wife?
Essay Topic 1
Respond to Zeno's hypochondria.
1) Why does Zeno make up or imagine illnesses?
2) Why does he want to be ill?
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, what is the reason you believe Zeno doesn't make a serious effort to work?
1) Is it due to inability or lack of a business mind?
2) Is it due to his father's lack of faith in him?
3) Is it fear of failure?
4) Does it have anything to do with poor self esteem?
Essay Topic 3
Zeno seems to think that death washes a person's flaws clean.
1) Give examples from the book that illustrate this thinking?
2) Why does Zeno seem to love some people more when they are dead?
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)