|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeno say that he did after making a resolution to stop smoking?
2. How does Zeno think his father felt about Zeno's future?
3. Who discovered that Zeno's father was having health distress?
4. What did Alberta say she wanted to do with her life?
5. How does Zeno identify Giovanni Malfenti?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the last thing Zeno's father did before he died?
2. Why did Zeno go to see Dr. Canestrini?
3. Who asked Zeno to write his own autobiography? Why?
4. Why does the doctor say he published Zeno's memoirs?
5. How did Zeno describe Ada's appearance?
6. How did Zeno escape from the sanatorium?
7. What does Zeno say he thinks will happen to pain and pleasure after death?
8. How does Zeno say his future father-in-law treated him?
9. Did Zeno's wife feel alarmed about Zeno's addiction to cigarettes?
10. Did Zeno's father regain consciousness and return to normal before he died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Zeno's relationship with Guido.
1) Does he like him or dislike him?
2) Would Zeno be friends with Guido if he wasn't married to Ada?
3) In Chapter 5, why does Ada say Zeno hated Guido? Is she correct?
Essay Topic 2
Zeno has a love/hate relationship with smoking. Examine the nature of a love/hate relationship.
1) Why would someone do something he hated?
2) What sort of gratification would a person get from engaging in activity that he both loved and hated?
3) How is it possible to love and hate something at the same time?
Essay Topic 3
From Chapter 1, respond to Zeno's assertion that you can only maintain the noble attitude you struck by making a resolution by actually breaking and renewing the resolution.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)