|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the doctor decide was ailing Zeno?
2. How did Zeno and Giovanna pass their time together?
3. Who is the main character of this book?
4. What idea did Zeno's wife have for helping him to quit smoking?
5. What makes Zeno want to try Dr. Muli's cure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the doctor say he published Zeno's memoirs?
2. Why does Zeno say it was difficult for him to spend time with his father?
3. How did Zeno describe his troubles with women to the doctor who had the electricity machine?
4. Why did Zeno marry Augusta?
5. How does Zeno describe his future father-in-law?
6. How did Zeno initially describe Augusta?
7. Why didn't Zeno want his father to regain consciousness after he fell ill?
8. What does Zeno write about tears and faults?
9. What does Zeno say he thinks will happen to pain and pleasure after death?
10. How does Zeno say his future father-in-law treated him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Zeno's frequent lies and made up stories.
1) Why does Zeno make up lies to entertain others?
2) Do the lies entertain him as well?
3) How do the lies make him feel?
4) Do his made-up stories achieve the effect he desires?
Essay Topic 2
Zeno describes a situation in which his father raised his leg to kick him.
1) How do you think this colored his relationship with his father?
2) Do you think Zeno felt in competition with his father?
3) Is this related to Zeno kicking Guido's dog? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
From Chapter 1, respond to Zeno's assertion that you can only maintain the noble attitude you struck by making a resolution by actually breaking and renewing the resolution.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)