Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotions did Zeno feel when he realized his father was close to death thanks to him?
2. What did Zeno's relatives reveal about his father?
3. According to Zeno's estimation, how old was his father's doctor?
4. When Zeno became ill with a painful sore throat and a fever, what did he resolve to do?
5. What does Zeno say one never talks about after getting married?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, how does Zeno describe his feelings towards his wife?
2. Why does Zeno say it was difficult for him to spend time with his father?
3. What two events does Zeno say stopped him from stealing?
4. Why did Zeno marry Augusta?
5. Why didn't Zeno want his father to regain consciousness after he fell ill?
6. How did Zeno behave in the company of Giovanni's daughters?
7. How did Zeno feel about cheating on Augusta?
8. What does Zeno write about tears and faults?
9. Why did Zeno visit Dr. Paoli?
10. What does the doctor apologize for in the preface? Why?
Describe Zeno's married life with Augusta.
1) Why does he come to love her?
2) What kind of love does it seem Zeno wants from Augusta?
3) Does Zeno's love for Augusta cure him of his lust for women?
Zeno has a love/hate relationship with smoking. Examine the nature of a love/hate relationship.
1) Why would someone do something he hated?
2) What sort of gratification would a person get from engaging in activity that he both loved and hated?
3) How is it possible to love and hate something at the same time?
Analyze Zeno's frequent lies and made up stories.
1) Why does Zeno make up lies to entertain others?
2) Do the lies entertain him as well?
3) How do the lies make him feel?
4) Do his made-up stories achieve the effect he desires?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)