Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotions did Zeno feel when he realized his father was close to death thanks to him?
2. What did Zeno's relatives reveal about his father?
3. According to Zeno's estimation, how old was his father's doctor?
4. When Zeno became ill with a painful sore throat and a fever, what did he resolve to do?
5. What does Zeno say one never talks about after getting married?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, how does Zeno describe his feelings towards his wife?
2. Why does Zeno say it was difficult for him to spend time with his father?
3. What two events does Zeno say stopped him from stealing?
4. Why did Zeno marry Augusta?
5. Why didn't Zeno want his father to regain consciousness after he fell ill?
6. How did Zeno behave in the company of Giovanni's daughters?
7. How did Zeno feel about cheating on Augusta?
8. What does Zeno write about tears and faults?
9. Why did Zeno visit Dr. Paoli?
10. What does the doctor apologize for in the preface? Why?
Essay Topic 1
Compare the way Zeno feels about his father before he learns that he is dying with the way he feels about him once he learns that he is ill, and there's no hope.
Essay Topic 2
Respond to Zeno's marriage to Augusta after asking two of her other sisters to marry him.
1) Describe the opinion you think each sister would have of him after his proposal.
2) Describe what Alberta and Ada might think of Augusta's chances for a happy marriage.
3) Describe how Augusta might feel marrying a man she loves though she knows he loves her sister.
Essay Topic 3
Respond to Zeno's desire to fall in live with Ada and marry her.
1) Why does he choose her?
2) What qualities in Ada does he enjoy besides her looks?
3) Do they have anything in common?
4) Can someone choose to fall in love?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)