|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Zeno say he was when he discovered that he hated the way cigarettes tasted and the way they made him feel?
2. How does Zeno describe his relationship with his father?
3. How does Zeno describe the importance of cigarettes that are not a person's last?
4. Where was Zeno when his father died?
5. According to Zeno's estimation, how old was his father's doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Carla break off the affair with Zeno?
2. What was the state of Zeno's marriage after his affair with Carla ended?
3. What did Zeno write about marriage and Mother Nature?
4. What effect did World War I have on Zeno's business ability?
5. How did Zeno describe Ada's appearance?
6. What did Dr. S. say to Zeno when he ran into him by chance in Chapter 6?
7. Who asked Zeno to write his own autobiography? Why?
8. Why did Zeno become dissatisfied with psychoanalysis?
9. How did Zeno behave in the company of Giovanni's daughters?
10. Why did Zeno marry Augusta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Respond to Zeno's behavior of marking anniversaries and other events with L.C.
1) Does this make the anniversary or event seem less important?
2) Does it seem that Zeno makes smoking the matter of chief importance in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Respond to Zeno's marriage to Augusta after asking two of her other sisters to marry him.
1) Describe the opinion you think each sister would have of him after his proposal.
2) Describe what Alberta and Ada might think of Augusta's chances for a happy marriage.
3) Describe how Augusta might feel marrying a man she loves though she knows he loves her sister.
Essay Topic 3
Respond to Zeno's hypochondria.
1) Why does Zeno make up or imagine illnesses?
2) Why does he want to be ill?
This section contains 1,394 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)