|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovered that Zeno's father was having health distress?
2. What was the name of the doctor who cared for Zeno's father until his death?
3. A doctor asked Zeno's father to return for a follow-up visit after a few weeks. Why didn't his father go back to the doctor?
4. How does Zeno identify Giovanni Malfenti?
5. How did Zeno tell his father he viewed religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zeno say he thinks will happen to pain and pleasure after death?
2. Why didn't Zeno want his father to regain consciousness after he fell ill?
3. How did Zeno feel he compared to his father?
4. Did Zeno's wife feel alarmed about Zeno's addiction to cigarettes?
5. Why did Zeno become upset with the doctor who had the electricity machine?
6. How did Zeno describe Ada's appearance?
7. Where does Zeno get his first cigarette, and how does he describe the first cigarettes he ever smoked?
8. What was the last thing Zeno's father did before he died?
9. What does Zeno write about tears and faults?
10. Who asked Zeno to write his own autobiography? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Zeno's personality, values, and habits with those of his father.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Zeno's relationship with Guido.
1) Does he like him or dislike him?
2) Would Zeno be friends with Guido if he wasn't married to Ada?
3) In Chapter 5, why does Ada say Zeno hated Guido? Is she correct?
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, what is the reason you believe Zeno doesn't make a serious effort to work?
1) Is it due to inability or lack of a business mind?
2) Is it due to his father's lack of faith in him?
3) Is it fear of failure?
4) Does it have anything to do with poor self esteem?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)