|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zeno describe his grief when his mother died?
2. How many commandments did Giovanni write in Zeno's notebook?
3. Who was Guido Speier?
4. According to Zeno, when did his mother die?
5. How did Zeno try to impress Ada and her sisters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zeno's father say Zeno was mad?
2. What did Zeno write about marriage and Mother Nature?
3. How did Zeno describe Ada's appearance?
4. How did Zeno escape from the sanatorium?
5. Why does Zeno say it was difficult for him to spend time with his father?
6. Why did Zeno marry Augusta?
7. Why does the doctor say he published Zeno's memoirs?
8. What did Zeno say to Maria when she initially cried over his father's condition?
9. What two events does Zeno say stopped him from stealing?
10. How did Zeno feel he compared to his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Zeno's relationship with Guido.
1) Does he like him or dislike him?
2) Would Zeno be friends with Guido if he wasn't married to Ada?
3) In Chapter 5, why does Ada say Zeno hated Guido? Is she correct?
Essay Topic 2
Zeno has a love/hate relationship with smoking. Examine the nature of a love/hate relationship.
1) Why would someone do something he hated?
2) What sort of gratification would a person get from engaging in activity that he both loved and hated?
3) How is it possible to love and hate something at the same time?
Essay Topic 3
Eventually, Zeno comes to feel healthy and even becomes motivated to work. When he gets started in business, he finds that he is successful.
1) What is Zeno's idea of health?
2) To what do you attribute his new found health?
3 ) Was Zeno cured? If so, from what and by whom?
4) Why is he finally successful in business?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)