|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zeno feel about his future wife during his engagement?
2. Who is the main character of this book?
3. Whose idea was it to get the doctor when Zeno's father became ill?
4. What does Zeno say that he did after making a resolution to stop smoking?
5. Why did Zeno become agitated in the sanatorium?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two events does Zeno say stopped him from stealing?
2. Where does Zeno get his first cigarette, and how does he describe the first cigarettes he ever smoked?
3. Did Zeno tell Augusta that he loved her before they were married?
4. How did Zeno describe Ada's appearance?
5. How did Zeno behave in the company of Giovanni's daughters?
6. At the end of Chapter 3, how did Zeno say he felt about marrying Augusta?
7. What did Zeno say to Maria when she initially cried over his father's condition?
8. How did Zeno feel he compared to his father?
9. What did Zeno write about marriage and Mother Nature?
10. How did Zeno's wife seem to feel about the idea of him going into the sanatorium?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Respond to Zeno's behavior of marking anniversaries and other events with L.C.
1) Does this make the anniversary or event seem less important?
2) Does it seem that Zeno makes smoking the matter of chief importance in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Respond to Zeno's hypochondria.
1) Why does Zeno make up or imagine illnesses?
2) Why does he want to be ill?
Essay Topic 3
Zeno has a love/hate relationship with smoking. Examine the nature of a love/hate relationship.
1) Why would someone do something he hated?
2) What sort of gratification would a person get from engaging in activity that he both loved and hated?
3) How is it possible to love and hate something at the same time?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)