|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character of this book?
2. How did Giovanni react to Zeno's talk about getting rid of Olivi and managing his own affairs?
3. A doctor asked Zeno's father to return for a follow-up visit after a few weeks. Why didn't his father go back to the doctor?
4. According to Zeno, when did his mother die?
5. How old does Zeno say Giovanni is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zeno marry Augusta?
2. What does the doctor apologize for in the preface? Why?
3. Who asked Zeno to write his own autobiography? Why?
4. At the end of Chapter 3, how did Zeno say he felt about marrying Augusta?
5. Did Zeno tell Augusta that he loved her before they were married?
6. What does Zeno write about tears and faults?
7. How does Zeno describe his future father-in-law?
8. How did Ada behave towards Zeno while he was intent on falling in love with her?
9. Why did Zeno go to see Dr. Canestrini?
10. Why does Zeno say it was difficult for him to spend time with his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Zeno want to possess all of Giovanni's daughters before he even meets them.
1) What does Zeno want from Giovanni's daughters?
2) Does he still want to possess Augusta even though he says she's ugly? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Zeno seems to think that death washes a person's flaws clean.
1) Give examples from the book that illustrate this thinking?
2) Why does Zeno seem to love some people more when they are dead?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Zeno's frequent lies and made up stories.
1) Why does Zeno make up lies to entertain others?
2) Do the lies entertain him as well?
3) How do the lies make him feel?
4) Do his made-up stories achieve the effect he desires?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)