|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alberta say she wanted to do with her life?
2. According to Zeno, when did his mother die?
3. How did Zeno escape the sanatorium?
4. What was Guido teaching the family when Zeno professed his love for Ada?
5. Who accepted Zeno's proposal in the end?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zeno say his future father-in-law treated him?
2. Why does the doctor say he published Zeno's memoirs?
3. Why did Zeno's father say Zeno was mad?
4. How did Ada behave towards Zeno while he was intent on falling in love with her?
5. What two events does Zeno say stopped him from stealing?
6. How did Zeno feel he compared to his father?
7. What did Zeno say to Maria when she initially cried over his father's condition?
8. How did Zeno behave in the company of Giovanni's daughters?
9. Why did Zeno go to see Dr. Canestrini?
10. Why didn't Zeno want his father to regain consciousness after he fell ill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zeno seems to use his addiction to smoking as an excuse for various types of troubling behavior. Examine this behavior.
1) Does his smoking really cause his problems?
2) Does he enjoy having an excuse not to excel?
Essay Topic 2
Eventually, Zeno comes to feel healthy and even becomes motivated to work. When he gets started in business, he finds that he is successful.
1) What is Zeno's idea of health?
2) To what do you attribute his new found health?
3 ) Was Zeno cured? If so, from what and by whom?
4) Why is he finally successful in business?
Essay Topic 3
Respond to Zeno's hypochondria.
1) Why does Zeno make up or imagine illnesses?
2) Why does he want to be ill?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)