|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeno say one never talks about after getting married?
2. Who is the main character of this book?
3. At what time of day does Zeno say his father died?
4. How many women did Zeno ask to marry him after the table turning?
5. According to Zeno, what was the most important event of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Zeno describe Ada's appearance?
2. What does the doctor apologize for in the preface? Why?
3. How did Zeno behave in the company of Giovanni's daughters?
4. At the end of Chapter 3, how did Zeno say he felt about marrying Augusta?
5. How did Zeno initially describe Augusta?
6. How did Zeno feel he compared to his father?
7. How did Zeno escape from the sanatorium?
8. How did Zeno describe his troubles with women to the doctor who had the electricity machine?
9. What does Zeno write about tears and faults?
10. Why did Zeno become upset with the doctor who had the electricity machine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zeno describes a situation in which his father raised his leg to kick him.
1) How do you think this colored his relationship with his father?
2) Do you think Zeno felt in competition with his father?
3) Is this related to Zeno kicking Guido's dog? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Respond to Zeno's hypochondria.
1) Why does Zeno make up or imagine illnesses?
2) Why does he want to be ill?
Essay Topic 3
Respond to Zeno's marriage to Augusta after asking two of her other sisters to marry him.
1) Describe the opinion you think each sister would have of him after his proposal.
2) Describe what Alberta and Ada might think of Augusta's chances for a happy marriage.
3) Describe how Augusta might feel marrying a man she loves though she knows he loves her sister.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)