|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was one of the physical features Zeno liked about his fiance?
2. What phrase does Zeno use to describe Dr. Muli?
3. How does Zeno say he used to decide when to stop smoking?
4. Who managed Zeno's father's business affairs?
5. Who is the main character of this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zeno's father say Zeno was mad?
2. How does Zeno say his future father-in-law treated him?
3. What did Zeno write about marriage and Mother Nature?
4. How did Zeno escape from the sanatorium?
5. What does Zeno write about tears and faults?
6. Why did Zeno become upset with the doctor who had the electricity machine?
7. Where does Zeno get his first cigarette, and how does he describe the first cigarettes he ever smoked?
8. What does Zeno say he thinks will happen to pain and pleasure after death?
9. How did Zeno's wife seem to feel about the idea of him going into the sanatorium?
10. What did Zeno say to Maria when she initially cried over his father's condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From Chapter 1, respond to Zeno's assertion that you can only maintain the noble attitude you struck by making a resolution by actually breaking and renewing the resolution.
Essay Topic 2
Zeno describes a situation in which his father raised his leg to kick him.
1) How do you think this colored his relationship with his father?
2) Do you think Zeno felt in competition with his father?
3) Is this related to Zeno kicking Guido's dog? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Eventually, Zeno comes to feel healthy and even becomes motivated to work. When he gets started in business, he finds that he is successful.
1) What is Zeno's idea of health?
2) To what do you attribute his new found health?
3 ) Was Zeno cured? If so, from what and by whom?
4) Why is he finally successful in business?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)