|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, why did Zeno leave the doctor's office smoking like a Turk?
(a) To re-educate himself.
(b) To prove the doctor wrong.
(c) To try the doctor's experiment.
(d) To defy the doctor.
2. With whom did Carla live?
(a) Her mother and father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her sister.
3. After Zeno describes a particular dream to the doctor, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What was Zeno in the dream?
(a) A baby.
(b) A woman.
(d) His father.
4. Why did Zeno buy a music book for Carla?
(a) To express his genuine interest in her singing.
(b) To make himself feel better about approaching her.
(c) As an apology.
(d) Out of guilt.
5. How did Zeno usually treat Augusta during his affair with Carla?
(a) Like a sister.
(b) With hostility.
(c) With his customary tenderness and affection.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zeno say Catina called him a little Jew?
2. How many months did Zeno spend away from the office in Chapter 5?
3. Who caught Tacich's eye as a love interest?
4. In one of his memories, Zeno's father raises his leg to kick him. What or whom did Zeno kick when no one was looking?
5. Why does Zeno decide to give up on psychoanalysis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Carla break off the affair with Zeno?
2. What effect did World War I have on Zeno's business ability?
3. Why did Zeno flirt with Teresina?
4. What did Zeno write about his truthfulness in writing his memoirs?
5. How did Carla get money for her daily needs?
6. How and why did Zeno meet Carla?
7. In Chapter 4, how does Zeno describe his feelings towards his wife?
8. Did Zeno want to go into business with Guido?
9. Why does Zeno say he began to make up dreams to report to the doctor?
10. What did Dr. S. say to Zeno when he ran into him by chance in Chapter 6?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)