|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Zeno think the first time Carla sang for him?
(a) He thought she had a voice made for lullabies.
(b) He thought she had superior talent.
(c) He thought her voice lost its musical quality when she sang.
(d) He thought he could sing better.
2. How does Zeno say Augusta changed his home?
(a) She removed all of his favorite things.
(b) She chose unappealing furnishings.
(c) She added too many feminine touches.
(d) She made it warmer and more comfortable.
3. Whom did Augusta say Antonia resembled?
(a) Augusta's father.
(b) Augusta's aunt.
(c) Augusta's mother.
4. What did Zeno tell the doctor when he returned to see him the next day?
(a) He'd been unable to sleep all night.
(b) He could no longer stand the smell of cigarettes.
(c) His chronic bronchitis had broken out again.
(d) Smoking no longer harmed him.
5. How did Zeno attempt to fool the doctor?
(a) By pretending he'd dreamed of sucking on a woman's left foot.
(b) By pretending he'd dreamed of Carla.
(c) By pretending he'd dreamed of killing his father.
(d) By pretending he'd dreamed of Augusta.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Zeno describes a particular dream to the doctor, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What was Zeno in the dream?
2. Why does Zeno decide to give up on psychoanalysis?
3. What did the doctor say about the effect of cigarette smoking on Zeno?
4. What did Zeno hope Dr. Paoli would do?
5. To what does Zeno usually attribute many of his shortcomings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dr. S. say to Zeno when he ran into him by chance in Chapter 6?
2. After Guido's death, what did Ada say about her feelings for him and what did she admit she felt about Augusta's relationship with Zeno?
3. Was Carmen well qualified for the job Guido hired her to do?
4. How does Zeno say he felt after learning that he did not have diabetes?
5. What did Zeno write about his truthfulness in writing his memoirs?
6. Why does Zeno say he began to make up dreams to report to the doctor?
7. How did Zeno attempt to train the dog Guido brought to the office? Why?
8. Why did Ada go to the sanatorium?
9. Why did Carla break off the affair with Zeno?
10. What effect did World War I have on Zeno's business ability?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)