|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Zeno get his first cigarette?
(a) His brother gave it to him.
(b) He stole it from his father.
(c) He purchased a pack of cigarettes from a store.
(d) His friend Giuseppe gave it to him.
2. How does Zeno describe the flavor of a last cigarette?
(b) Like freedom.
(d) More poignant than others.
3. Who was Dr. Muli?
(a) A doctor who treated people for love addiction.
(b) The doctor who treated Zeno's chronic sore throat.
(c) A doctor who opened a sanatorium in Trieste.
(d) The doctor with the electrical shock device.
4. What does Zeno say about the noble attitude one has when he makes a resolution to quit smoking?
(a) It ensures that the resolution will work.
(b) It helps a person to feel better about himself.
(c) A person can only keep the noble attitude by renewing his resolutions.
(d) It makes quitting easier.
5. Who discovered that Zeno's father was having health distress?
(c) Dr. Muli
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zeno always try to quit smoking?
2. Why did Zeno become agitated in the sanatorium?
3. How did Zeno try to impress Ada and her sisters?
4. How did Zeno act whenever he was with Ada?
5. Why is Zeno keeping a journal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Zeno behave in the company of Giovanni's daughters?
2. Why does Zeno say it was difficult for him to spend time with his father?
3. What two events does Zeno say stopped him from stealing?
4. Did Zeno's father regain consciousness and return to normal before he died?
5. How did Zeno feel he compared to his father?
6. Where does Zeno get his first cigarette, and how does he describe the first cigarettes he ever smoked?
7. Why did Zeno's father say Zeno was mad?
8. Who asked Zeno to write his own autobiography? Why?
9. At the end of Chapter 3, how did Zeno say he felt about marrying Augusta?
10. How did Zeno escape from the sanatorium?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)