|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zeno describe as his second trouble?
(a) An addiction to alcohol.
(b) The effort he put into quitting smoking.
(c) A chronic sore throat.
2. According to Zeno, when did his mother die?
(a) Before he was 15.
(b) When she was 73.
(c) When he was 20.
(d) At the same time as his father.
3. How did Zeno escape the sanatorium?
(a) He overpowered Giovanna.
(b) He overpowered Dr. Muli.
(c) He stole the key to a door that lead outside.
(d) He tricked Giovanna into giving him cigarettes and leaving the door open.
4. How does Zeno describe the importance of cigarettes that are not a person's last?
(d) An assertion of freedom.
5. At what time of day does Zeno say his father died?
(a) 7:00 p.m.
(b) 9:30 p.m.
(c) 4:30 a.m.
(d) 6:43 a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the nurse's name?
2. How long did Zeno listen to his friend's lecture about the Greeks and the Hebrews?
3. According to Zeno's estimation, how old was his father's doctor?
4. How does Zeno think his father felt about Zeno's future?
5. What was Zeno's nickname for his father when he was in college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zeno say he thinks will happen to pain and pleasure after death?
2. Why did Zeno marry Augusta?
3. Why didn't Zeno want his father to regain consciousness after he fell ill?
4. What does the doctor apologize for in the preface? Why?
5. How did Ada behave towards Zeno while he was intent on falling in love with her?
6. At the end of Chapter 3, how did Zeno say he felt about marrying Augusta?
7. How did Zeno behave in the company of Giovanni's daughters?
8. Did Zeno tell Augusta that he loved her before they were married?
9. Why does Zeno say it was difficult for him to spend time with his father?
10. Did Zeno's father regain consciousness and return to normal before he died?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)