|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Zeno's relatives reveal about his father?
(a) He drank too much.
(b) He knew Zeno's secret.
(c) He was a gambler.
(d) He may have been unfaithful.
2. Where was Zeno when his father died?
(a) At school.
(b) With a friend.
(c) With his mother.
(d) With his father.
3. What was the nurse's name?
4. How does Zeno describe his father's death?
(a) An abyss of regret.
(b) An unimaginable catastrophe.
(c) A robber of joy.
(d) Surprisingly peaceful.
5. How does Zeno identify Giovanni Malfenti?
(a) As his future wife's uncle.
(b) As his future father-in-law.
(c) As his future wife's guardian.
(d) As his future wife's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cigarettes did Zeno take to the sanatorium?
2. How does Zeno say he used to decide when to stop smoking?
3. Whom did Zeno ask to marry him next when Ada refused?
4. How does Zeno always try to quit smoking?
5. How does Zeno say Guido felt about women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Zeno get his first cigarette, and how does he describe the first cigarettes he ever smoked?
2. Did Zeno tell Augusta that he loved her before they were married?
3. How did Zeno initially describe Augusta?
4. How did Zeno describe his troubles with women to the doctor who had the electricity machine?
5. Did Zeno's father regain consciousness and return to normal before he died?
6. Why does the doctor say he published Zeno's memoirs?
7. At the end of Chapter 3, how did Zeno say he felt about marrying Augusta?
8. How did Ada behave towards Zeno while he was intent on falling in love with her?
9. What does Zeno say he thinks will happen to pain and pleasure after death?
10. Who asked Zeno to write his own autobiography? Why?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)