|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Zeno, when did his mother die?
(a) Before he was 15.
(b) At the same time as his father.
(c) When he was 20.
(d) When she was 73.
2. What was the Tergesteo?
(a) The Bourse of Trieste.
(b) The university he attended.
(c) The capital of Trieste.
(d) The tax authority.
3. How does Zeno describe the importance of cigarettes that are not a person's last?
(c) An assertion of freedom.
4. Using which words does Zeno describe Giovanna?
(a) Shrill and little.
(b) Mean and cold.
(c) Competent and no-nonsense.
(d) Large and overbearing.
5. What did Zeno shout in his father's ear when he died?
(a) "I am sorry!"
(b) "Don't leave me!"
(c) "It was not my fault!"
(d) "I'll never forgive you!"
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotions did Zeno feel when he realized his father was close to death thanks to him?
2. At what time of day does Zeno say his father died?
3. How many reasons did Zeno initially give his fiance for being late for the wedding?
4. What did the doctor say when Zeno asked him whether there was any hope?
5. Whom does Zeno say was left to guard him in the sanatorium?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zeno become upset with the doctor who had the electricity machine?
2. How did Zeno describe his troubles with women to the doctor who had the electricity machine?
3. What did Zeno say to Maria when she initially cried over his father's condition?
4. What does Zeno say he thinks will happen to pain and pleasure after death?
5. How did Ada behave towards Zeno while he was intent on falling in love with her?
6. Did Zeno's wife feel alarmed about Zeno's addiction to cigarettes?
7. Did Zeno's father regain consciousness and return to normal before he died?
8. Why did Zeno go to see Dr. Canestrini?
9. At the end of Chapter 3, how did Zeno say he felt about marrying Augusta?
10. Why does Zeno say it was difficult for him to spend time with his father?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)