|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Zeno feel about the doctor's diagnosis?
(a) Disbelief and amusement.
(b) Confusion and guilt.
(d) Anger and resentment.
2. What did the doctor say Zeno was lost without?
(a) A woman.
(c) A mothering influence.
(d) A modicum of hatred.
3. In Chapter 4, what startling discovery did Zeno say he made?
(a) He was unsuited to marriage.
(b) He loved Augusta as much as she loved him.
(c) Alberta met a man she wanted to marry.
(d) Ada secretly loved him.
4. Whom did Augusta say Antonia resembled?
(a) Augusta's mother.
(b) Augusta's aunt.
(c) Augusta's father.
5. Who was the fourth addition to the office Zeno shared with Guido?
(b) A dog.
(c) A bird.
6. After Zeno describes a particular dream, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What did the woman in his dream look like?
(a) Like his father with a feminine face.
(b) Dark, with brown eyes.
(c) Dark, with blue eyes.
(d) Fair, with blue eyes.
7. What does Zeno say he realized with horror after giving up treatment?
(a) He'd lost his focus in life.
(b) He craved cigars.
(c) He'd stopped chasing women, except for his wife.
(d) He really did hate his father.
8. Why did Ada visit the office unexpectedly?
(a) To seduce Zeno.
(b) To see the fifth addition to the office.
(c) To announce that she was pregnant.
(d) To tell Zeno that Augusta was leaving him.
9. In Chapter 5, how does Zeno say Guido seemed to him?
(a) Exceedingly happy.
(b) Worn out.
(c) Weak and in need of protection.
(d) Confused about his future.
10. At first, what did Zeno and Guido spend a great deal of time doing instead of working?
(a) Buying things.
(b) Chasing women.
11. Who was Carla Gerco?
(a) A stenographer.
(b) A singer Copler was helping to support.
(c) Augusta's friend.
(d) A maid.
12. Who asked Zeno to join him in business?
(c) Carla's husband.
(d) Ada's new husband.
13. In Chapter 6, why did Zeno leave the doctor's office smoking like a Turk?
(a) To re-educate himself.
(b) To prove the doctor wrong.
(c) To defy the doctor.
(d) To try the doctor's experiment.
14. To what did the doctor attribute Zeno's problems?
(a) A chemical imbalance.
(b) Hating himself.
(c) Being in love with his mother and wanting to kill his father--oedipal complex.
(d) Being too stubborn.
15. On Zeno's third visit to see Carla, why didn't he think of Augusta?
(a) He was feeling very passionate.
(b) He stopped loving her.
(c) He was angry with his father-in-law.
(d) He was angry with Augusta.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many months did Zeno spend away from the office in Chapter 5?
2. Where did Copler get the money to provide for Carla's support?
3. What did Ada ask Zeno to promise before she left for the sanatorium?
4. What surprised Zeno about Augusta?
5. In Chapter 5, how did Augusta feel after hearing that Zeno had dreamed of Ada?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)