|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which war begins at the end of this book?
(a) The American Revolution.
(b) The Thirty Years' War.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
2. What did Zeno tell the doctor when he returned to see him the next day?
(a) He'd been unable to sleep all night.
(b) He could no longer stand the smell of cigarettes.
(c) His chronic bronchitis had broken out again.
(d) Smoking no longer harmed him.
3. What did Ada ask Zeno to promise before she left for the sanatorium?
(a) To take care of Guido.
(b) To prevent Guido from cheating.
(c) To care for her children.
(d) To be faithful to Augusta.
4. What did Zeno think of Carla?
(a) He thought she was too passionate.
(b) He thought she was charming.
(c) He thought she was rude.
(d) He thought she was a hard nut to crack.
5. Who initially worked in the office with Zeno and Guido?
6. About how long does Zeno say he preserved his faith in Guido's undertaking?
(a) Three months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two years.
7. What did the doctor think about Zeno's relationship with Guido?
(a) He had never ceased disliking him.
(b) He continuously envied him.
(c) He loved him.
(d) He came to regard him as a brother.
8. As time goes on, Zeno found new ways to justify his relationship with Carla. What was one of them?
(a) Augusta was unkind to him.
(b) It made him more loving to Augusta.
(c) Carla restored him to good health.
(d) Augusta wasn't passionate enough.
9. How does Zeno say he found solitude in Chapter 6?
10. Why does Zeno say Catina called him a little Jew?
(a) The way he looked.
(b) He refused to lend his brother his spoon.
(c) She disliked Jews.
(d) He refused to give her money.
11. How many months did Zeno spend away from the office in Chapter 5?
(a) One month.
(b) Five months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two months.
12. What decisive action did Carla take to end her affair with Zeno?
(a) She told Ada about the affair.
(b) She married Lali.
(c) She moved away.
(d) She told Zeno's wife about the affair.
13. How did Ada's illness make Augusta's family act towards Zeno?
(b) No differently.
(d) More affectionately.
14. With whom does Zeno say he returned to Trieste after being separated from his family?
(c) No one.
(d) A new mistress.
15. At first, what did Zeno and Guido spend a great deal of time doing instead of working?
(b) Chasing women.
(d) Buying things.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Copler take Zeno to meet Carla?
2. Who caught Tacich's eye as a love interest?
3. What did Ada say she hated about Guido?
4. With whom did Carla live?
5. Who was the fifth addition to the office Zeno shared with Guido?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)