|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Zeno tell himself he was going to do when he visited Carla for the third time?
(a) Make love to her.
(b) Give her up.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Confess his love for his wife.
2. What effect did Zeno think his marriage had on him at first?
(a) He believed it stifled his creative energy.
(b) He thought it put him on the road to perfect health.
(c) He believed it made his cigarette cravings more intense.
(d) He felt it dampened his passions.
3. In one of his memories, Zeno's father raises his leg to kick him. What or whom did Zeno kick when no one was looking?
(a) Augusta's dog.
(b) His son.
(c) His daughter.
(d) Guido's dog.
4. What did the doctor say Zeno was lost without?
(a) A woman.
(c) A mothering influence.
(d) A modicum of hatred.
5. In Chapter 5, how does Zeno say Guido seemed to him?
(a) Exceedingly happy.
(b) Confused about his future.
(c) Weak and in need of protection.
(d) Worn out.
6. About how long does Zeno say he preserved his faith in Guido's undertaking?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two weeks.
7. What did Ada ask Zeno to promise before she left for the sanatorium?
(a) To take care of Guido.
(b) To care for her children.
(c) To be faithful to Augusta.
(d) To prevent Guido from cheating.
8. How did Zeno usually treat Augusta during his affair with Carla?
(a) Like a sister.
(c) With hostility.
(d) With his customary tenderness and affection.
9. Why did Copler take Zeno to meet Carla?
(a) In the hopes that meeting Carla would prompt Zeno to continue his contributions.
(b) So that Zeno could advise Carla.
(c) Carla wished to meet one of her benefactors.
(d) So that Zeno could admire her beauty.
10. How many months did Zeno spend away from the office in Chapter 5?
(a) One month.
(b) Five months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Three months.
11. Why did Ada visit the office unexpectedly?
(a) To seduce Zeno.
(b) To announce that she was pregnant.
(c) To see the fifth addition to the office.
(d) To tell Zeno that Augusta was leaving him.
12. How did Zeno initially feel about sleeping with Carla?
(b) Young again.
13. In Chapter 5, what did Zeno think of Ada's babies?
(a) They were horrid monsters.
(b) They cried too much.
(c) They looked like Guido.
(d) They were as beautiful as their mother.
14. What does Zeno do about smoking after ending his psychoanalysis sessions?
(a) He decides to cut back on smoking instead of quitting.
(b) He entices his wife to take up the habit with him.
(c) He gives it up forever.
(d) He resumes making resolutions about smoking.
15. What did Zeno hope Dr. Paoli would do?
(a) Cure him of smoking.
(b) Agree with his other doctor.
(c) Cure him of lust.
(d) Tell him to stop going to psychoanalysis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the fifth addition to the office Zeno shared with Guido?
2. How did Zeno react towards his daughter when she screamed too much?
3. How did Zeno feel about diabetes when he thought he'd be diagnosed with it?
4. How does Zeno say he found solitude in Chapter 6?
5. What was the state of Carla's virtue before Zeno's affair with her?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)