|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Zeno tell Augusta about Carla?
(a) To maintain his innocence.
(b) To make her jealous.
(c) To gain her trust.
(d) To trick her.
2. How did Zeno usually treat Augusta during his affair with Carla?
(a) Like a sister.
(c) With his customary tenderness and affection.
(d) With hostility.
3. Who caught Tacich's eye as a love interest?
(b) Zeno's daughter.
4. In Chapter 6, what did Zeno say the freedom to smoke gave him?
(b) A way out of thinking.
(d) The final coup de grace.
5. Why didn't Guido want an office near the warehouse?
(a) He said they smelled badly.
(b) He said they were too expensive.
(c) He didn't want his wife to drop by.
(d) He said they were too close to home.
6. What effect did Zeno think his marriage had on him at first?
(a) He believed it stifled his creative energy.
(b) He thought it put him on the road to perfect health.
(c) He felt it dampened his passions.
(d) He believed it made his cigarette cravings more intense.
7. In one of his memories, Zeno's father raises his leg to kick him. What or whom did Zeno kick when no one was looking?
(a) His son.
(b) His daughter.
(c) Augusta's dog.
(d) Guido's dog.
8. With whom did Carla live?
(a) Her mother and father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her father.
9. Why didn't Copler learn of the relationship between Carla and Zeno?
(a) He moved away.
(b) He ended his friendship with Zeno and stopped helping Carla.
(c) Carla moved and didn't give hime her address.
(d) He died.
10. Why did Ada visit the office unexpectedly?
(a) To seduce Zeno.
(b) To tell Zeno that Augusta was leaving him.
(c) To see the fifth addition to the office.
(d) To announce that she was pregnant.
11. Why did Copler take Zeno to meet Carla?
(a) In the hopes that meeting Carla would prompt Zeno to continue his contributions.
(b) Carla wished to meet one of her benefactors.
(c) So that Zeno could admire her beauty.
(d) So that Zeno could advise Carla.
12. In Chapter 4, what startling discovery did Zeno say he made?
(a) He was unsuited to marriage.
(b) He loved Augusta as much as she loved him.
(c) Alberta met a man she wanted to marry.
(d) Ada secretly loved him.
13. How did Zeno react towards his daughter when she screamed too much?
(a) He tenderly comforted her.
(b) He handed her to Augusta.
(c) He screamed insults in her ear.
(d) He cried as well.
14. Why did Zeno buy a music book for Carla?
(a) As an apology.
(b) To make himself feel better about approaching her.
(c) Out of guilt.
(d) To express his genuine interest in her singing.
15. In Chapter 5, how did Augusta feel after hearing that Zeno had dreamed of Ada?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zeno say Augusta changed his home?
2. What does Zeno say he realized with horror after giving up treatment?
3. Which war begins at the end of this book?
4. From which of the following people did the doctor solicit information about Guido: Carmen, Augusta, or Luciano?
5. After Zeno describes a particular dream to the doctor, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What was Zeno in the dream?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)