|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Zeno say Catina called him a little Jew?
(a) He refused to lend his brother his spoon.
(b) The way he looked.
(c) She disliked Jews.
(d) He refused to give her money.
2. What surprised Zeno about Augusta?
(a) She stopped loving him.
(b) She was a good wife.
(c) She was a good cook.
(d) She had a nasty temper.
3. What does Zeno say made him work so energetically for Guido?
(a) He wanted to prove his worth to Ada.
(b) His need for money.
(c) He wanted to take over Guido's business.
(d) His gratitude.
4. How did Guido die?
(a) He pretended to commit suicide again. He succeeded in killing himself this time.
(b) Ada murdered him.
(c) He had a heart attack.
(d) Carmen murdered him.
5. How many months did Zeno spend away from the office in Chapter 5?
(a) Two months.
(b) One month.
(c) Three months.
(d) Five months.
6. In Chapter 5, how does Zeno say Guido seemed to him?
(a) Weak and in need of protection.
(b) Confused about his future.
(c) Exceedingly happy.
(d) Worn out.
7. To what does Zeno usually attribute many of his shortcomings?
(d) A poor childhood.
8. Who asked Zeno to join him in business?
(a) Carla's husband.
(b) Ada's new husband.
9. About how long does Zeno say he preserved his faith in Guido's undertaking?
(a) One year.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two years.
10. Where did Ada go to recover from her illness?
(a) To live with her mother.
(b) To the family vacation home.
(c) To a sanatorium.
(d) To her sister's house.
11. What did Zeno tell himself he was going to do when he visited Carla for the third time?
(a) Kiss her.
(b) Confess his love for his wife.
(c) Make love to her.
(d) Give her up.
12. What did the doctor say about the effect of cigarette smoking on Zeno?
(a) It was poisoning his blood.
(b) It was an excuse for wrong doing.
(c) It was damaging his lungs.
(d) It did not hurt him at all.
13. To what did the doctor attribute Zeno's problems?
(a) A chemical imbalance.
(b) Hating himself.
(c) Being in love with his mother and wanting to kill his father--oedipal complex.
(d) Being too stubborn.
14. What was Carla's financial status?
(a) She was of little means.
(b) She was an up and coming business person.
(c) She was very wealthy.
(d) She had a small trust fund.
15. How did Zeno attempt to fool the doctor?
(a) By pretending he'd dreamed of sucking on a woman's left foot.
(b) By pretending he'd dreamed of Augusta.
(c) By pretending he'd dreamed of Carla.
(d) By pretending he'd dreamed of killing his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ada say she hated about Guido?
2. How did Zeno feel about diabetes when he thought he'd be diagnosed with it?
3. Why did Ada say Zeno was good?
4. In Chapter 4, what startling discovery did Zeno say he made?
5. How did Zeno feel about the doctor's diagnosis?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)