|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Augusta say Antonia resembled?
(a) Augusta's father.
(c) Augusta's aunt.
(d) Augusta's mother.
2. How does Zeno say he felt when he discovered that he did not have the disease he expected?
(b) More confused than ever.
(d) Young again.
3. After Zeno describes a particular dream to the doctor, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What was Zeno in the dream?
(a) A baby.
(b) His father.
(c) A woman.
4. Why does Zeno think Carmen screamed on the boat?
(a) She was afraid of the dark.
(b) Guido squeezed her.
(c) She caught a fish.
(d) She was angry with Zeno.
5. Who was the fourth addition to the office Zeno shared with Guido?
(a) A bird.
(c) A dog.
6. Why does Zeno decide to give up on psychoanalysis?
(a) He thinks the doctor is a quack.
(b) He thinks the treatment made him worse.
(c) He finds a new doctor.
(d) He thinks he is cured.
7. How did Guido die?
(a) He had a heart attack.
(b) Ada murdered him.
(c) Carmen murdered him.
(d) He pretended to commit suicide again. He succeeded in killing himself this time.
8. How did Zeno feel about diabetes when he thought he'd be diagnosed with it?
(a) He felt he'd brought it on himself.
(b) He hated it.
(c) He loved it.
(d) He was terrified of it.
9. What did Zeno tell himself he was going to do when he visited Carla for the third time?
(a) Kiss her.
(b) Give her up.
(c) Make love to her.
(d) Confess his love for his wife.
10. What did Zeno tell the doctor when he returned to see him the next day?
(a) He'd been unable to sleep all night.
(b) His chronic bronchitis had broken out again.
(c) He could no longer stand the smell of cigarettes.
(d) Smoking no longer harmed him.
11. What change did Zeno and Augusta disagree about?
(a) Keeping the study for Zeno.
(b) Adding a laundry.
(c) Adding a nursery.
(d) Adding a den.
12. What does Zeno do about smoking after ending his psychoanalysis sessions?
(a) He entices his wife to take up the habit with him.
(b) He resumes making resolutions about smoking.
(c) He gives it up forever.
(d) He decides to cut back on smoking instead of quitting.
13. Why did Zeno continue with his psychoanalysis sessions after they became torture for him?
(a) It was always hard for him to stop something he'd begun.
(b) He wanted to convince the doctor he was wrong.
(c) He didn't want to hurt the doctor's feelings.
(d) He didn't want to lose money.
14. What surprised Zeno about Augusta?
(a) She was a good wife.
(b) She had a nasty temper.
(c) She was a good cook.
(d) She stopped loving him.
15. How did Zeno react towards his daughter when she screamed too much?
(a) He tenderly comforted her.
(b) He screamed insults in her ear.
(c) He cried as well.
(d) He handed her to Augusta.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who initially worked in the office with Zeno and Guido?
2. Why did Carla end the affair with Zeno?
3. In Chapter 5, how does Zeno say Guido seemed to him?
4. What effect did Zeno think his marriage had on him at first?
5. Why didn't Guido want an office near the warehouse?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)