|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Guido pretend to commit suicide?
(a) To convince Carmen to stay with him.
(b) To convince Ada to give him money.
(c) To gain sympathy from his creditors.
(d) To convince Zeno to remain in the office.
2. In Chapter 5, what did Zeno think of Ada's babies?
(a) They cried too much.
(b) They were as beautiful as their mother.
(c) They were horrid monsters.
(d) They looked like Guido.
3. What change did Zeno and Augusta disagree about?
(a) Adding a nursery.
(b) Adding a den.
(c) Keeping the study for Zeno.
(d) Adding a laundry.
4. At first, what did Zeno and Guido spend a great deal of time doing instead of working?
(a) Chasing women.
(b) Buying things.
5. Why did Zeno buy a music book for Carla?
(a) Out of guilt.
(b) As an apology.
(c) To express his genuine interest in her singing.
(d) To make himself feel better about approaching her.
6. In Chapter 5, how did Augusta feel after hearing that Zeno had dreamed of Ada?
7. What did Zeno tell himself he was going to do when he visited Carla for the third time?
(a) Make love to her.
(b) Kiss her.
(c) Give her up.
(d) Confess his love for his wife.
8. How did Zeno feel about diabetes when he thought he'd be diagnosed with it?
(a) He was terrified of it.
(b) He loved it.
(c) He hated it.
(d) He felt he'd brought it on himself.
9. Why didn't Copler learn of the relationship between Carla and Zeno?
(a) Carla moved and didn't give hime her address.
(b) He moved away.
(c) He ended his friendship with Zeno and stopped helping Carla.
(d) He died.
10. Why did Ada say Zeno was good?
(a) He loved Augusta.
(b) He always went home to his wife and children.
(c) He stopped making passes at her.
(d) He helped Guido for free.
11. On Zeno's third visit to see Carla, why didn't he think of Augusta?
(a) He was feeling very passionate.
(b) He was angry with his father-in-law.
(c) He was angry with Augusta.
(d) He stopped loving her.
12. What two fears does Zeno discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) Fear that Augusta will betray him.
(b) Fear of being insignificant.
(c) Fear of life with only one woman.
(d) The fear of growing old and dying.
13. To what did the doctor attribute Zeno's problems?
(a) Hating himself.
(b) A chemical imbalance.
(c) Being in love with his mother and wanting to kill his father--oedipal complex.
(d) Being too stubborn.
14. What kind of businessman was Guido?
(a) A poor businessman,
(b) A businessman of average skill.
(c) A skilled businessman who had bad luck.
(d) A skilled businessman.
15. How did Zeno feel about the doctor's diagnosis?
(a) Anger and resentment.
(b) Confusion and guilt.
(c) Disbelief and amusement.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Zeno describes a particular dream to the doctor, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What was Zeno in the dream?
2. What was Carla's financial status?
3. Why did Ada visit the office unexpectedly?
4. What did the doctor say Zeno was lost without?
5. With whom did Carla live?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)