|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zeno do about smoking after ending his psychoanalysis sessions?
(a) He gives it up forever.
(b) He resumes making resolutions about smoking.
(c) He decides to cut back on smoking instead of quitting.
(d) He entices his wife to take up the habit with him.
2. Why did Zeno buy a music book for Carla?
(a) To express his genuine interest in her singing.
(b) To make himself feel better about approaching her.
(c) Out of guilt.
(d) As an apology.
3. Who was Carla Gerco?
(a) A stenographer.
(b) A maid.
(c) Augusta's friend.
(d) A singer Copler was helping to support.
4. Why didn't Guido want an office near the warehouse?
(a) He said they smelled badly.
(b) He said they were too expensive.
(c) He said they were too close to home.
(d) He didn't want his wife to drop by.
5. What surprised Zeno about Augusta?
(a) She had a nasty temper.
(b) She was a good cook.
(c) She was a good wife.
(d) She stopped loving him.
6. In Chapter 6, what did Zeno say the freedom to smoke gave him?
(a) The final coup de grace.
(d) A way out of thinking.
7. How did Zeno usually treat Augusta during his affair with Carla?
(a) With hostility.
(b) With his customary tenderness and affection.
(c) Like a sister.
8. How did Augusta feel about the fifth addition to the office?
9. Who was the fifth addition to the office Zeno shared with Guido?
(b) Zeno's son.
(c) Olivi's son.
10. To what did the doctor attribute Zeno's problems?
(a) Being too stubborn.
(b) A chemical imbalance.
(c) Being in love with his mother and wanting to kill his father--oedipal complex.
(d) Hating himself.
11. About how long does Zeno say he preserved his faith in Guido's undertaking?
(a) One year.
(b) Three months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Two weeks.
12. How does Zeno say he felt when he discovered that he did not have the disease he expected?
(b) More confused than ever.
(c) Young again.
13. What did Zeno tell himself he was going to do when he visited Carla for the third time?
(a) Make love to her.
(b) Confess his love for his wife.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Give her up.
14. Why did the doctor say Zeno adopted smoking as his vice?
(a) To punish himself.
(b) To draw attention to himself.
(c) His low self-esteem.
(d) To compete with his father.
15. What did the doctor say about Zeno seeing colors?
(a) Zeno had made an important scientific discovery.
(b) He felt Zeno was making things up again.
(c) Nicotine had made his eyes ultra-sensitive.
(d) Zeno must have been dreaming.
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, what did Zeno and Guido spend a great deal of time doing instead of working?
2. What did Zeno think the first time Carla sang for him?
3. What was the state of Carla's virtue before Zeno's affair with her?
4. As time goes on, Zeno found new ways to justify his relationship with Carla. What was one of them?
5. What was Carla's financial status?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)