|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zeno say Augusta changed his home?
(a) She made it warmer and more comfortable.
(b) She chose unappealing furnishings.
(c) She added too many feminine touches.
(d) She removed all of his favorite things.
2. After Zeno describes a particular dream, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What did the woman in his dream look like?
(a) Fair, with blue eyes.
(b) Dark, with blue eyes.
(c) Like his father with a feminine face.
(d) Dark, with brown eyes.
3. After Zeno describes a particular dream to the doctor, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What was Zeno in the dream?
(a) A woman.
(b) A baby.
(c) His father.
4. Why did Guido pretend to commit suicide?
(a) To convince Zeno to remain in the office.
(b) To convince Carmen to stay with him.
(c) To gain sympathy from his creditors.
(d) To convince Ada to give him money.
5. How did the doctor think Zeno really felt about Giovanni?
(a) He thought Zeno really hated him.
(b) He thought Zeno regretted being bad good son-in-law.
(c) He thought Zeno loved Giovanni more than his father.
(d) He felt that Zeno was jealous of him.
6. To what does Zeno usually attribute many of his shortcomings?
(c) A poor childhood.
7. What did the doctor say about Zeno seeing colors?
(a) Nicotine had made his eyes ultra-sensitive.
(b) Zeno must have been dreaming.
(c) He felt Zeno was making things up again.
(d) Zeno had made an important scientific discovery.
8. What was Carla's financial status?
(a) She was an up and coming business person.
(b) She was of little means.
(c) She was very wealthy.
(d) She had a small trust fund.
9. What effect did Zeno think his marriage had on him at first?
(a) He believed it made his cigarette cravings more intense.
(b) He felt it dampened his passions.
(c) He thought it put him on the road to perfect health.
(d) He believed it stifled his creative energy.
10. What does Zeno do about smoking after ending his psychoanalysis sessions?
(a) He entices his wife to take up the habit with him.
(b) He decides to cut back on smoking instead of quitting.
(c) He gives it up forever.
(d) He resumes making resolutions about smoking.
11. What did Zeno worry that Carla would want from him?
(a) Too much money.
(d) Too much time.
12. With whom does Zeno say he returned to Trieste after being separated from his family?
(a) A new mistress.
(b) No one.
13. Why did Zeno leave the office for an extended time?
(a) Augusta needed him at home.
(b) He couldn't get along with Guido.
(c) Olivi died.
(d) He was upset because Carla left him.
14. Whom did Augusta say Antonia resembled?
(b) Augusta's aunt.
(c) Augusta's mother.
(d) Augusta's father.
15. Why did Ada say Zeno was good?
(a) He stopped making passes at her.
(b) He loved Augusta.
(c) He always went home to his wife and children.
(d) He helped Guido for free.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asked Zeno to join him in business?
2. Why did Zeno buy a music book for Carla?
3. What kind of businessman was Guido?
4. In Chapter 5, how does Zeno say Guido seemed to him?
5. What did Zeno tell the doctor when he returned to see him the next day?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)