|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the doctor say about the effect of cigarette smoking on Zeno?
(a) It did not hurt him at all.
(b) It was poisoning his blood.
(c) It was an excuse for wrong doing.
(d) It was damaging his lungs.
2. To what did the doctor attribute Zeno's problems?
(a) Being in love with his mother and wanting to kill his father--oedipal complex.
(b) Hating himself.
(c) Being too stubborn.
(d) A chemical imbalance.
3. What decisive action did Carla take to end her affair with Zeno?
(a) She told Ada about the affair.
(b) She married Lali.
(c) She moved away.
(d) She told Zeno's wife about the affair.
4. What does Zeno do about smoking after ending his psychoanalysis sessions?
(a) He entices his wife to take up the habit with him.
(b) He decides to cut back on smoking instead of quitting.
(c) He gives it up forever.
(d) He resumes making resolutions about smoking.
5. Why does Zeno say he was irritated by Guido's way of thinking?
(a) His thoughts were similar to Zeno's.
(b) He reminded him of Giovanni.
(c) He saw his faults so clearly.
(d) He reminded him of his father.
6. What did Zeno think of Carla?
(a) He thought she was charming.
(b) He thought she was rude.
(c) He thought she was too passionate.
(d) He thought she was a hard nut to crack.
7. How did Zeno say he felt after his made-up dream?
8. What did the doctor say Zeno was lost without?
(a) A woman.
(b) A mothering influence.
(c) A modicum of hatred.
9. Why did Zeno tell Augusta about Carla?
(a) To make her jealous.
(b) To maintain his innocence.
(c) To gain her trust.
(d) To trick her.
10. How did the doctor think Zeno really felt about Giovanni?
(a) He thought Zeno really hated him.
(b) He thought Zeno regretted being bad good son-in-law.
(c) He thought Zeno loved Giovanni more than his father.
(d) He felt that Zeno was jealous of him.
11. What did Carla do with the first envelope of money Zeno offered her?
(a) She took it happily.
(b) She refused it.
(c) She gave it to her maid.
(d) She took it reluctantly.
12. Why did Zeno leave the office for an extended time?
(a) Augusta needed him at home.
(b) He was upset because Carla left him.
(c) Olivi died.
(d) He couldn't get along with Guido.
13. Why does Zeno decide to give up on psychoanalysis?
(a) He thinks the doctor is a quack.
(b) He thinks the treatment made him worse.
(c) He thinks he is cured.
(d) He finds a new doctor.
14. About how long does Zeno say he preserved his faith in Guido's undertaking?
(a) Three months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two years.
15. After Zeno describes a particular dream, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What did the woman in his dream look like?
(a) Dark, with blue eyes.
(b) Dark, with brown eyes.
(c) Like his father with a feminine face.
(d) Fair, with blue eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zeno say he felt when he discovered that he did not have the disease he expected?
2. The name of the last female Zeno mentions flirting with is __________.
3. Why did Carla end the affair with Zeno?
4. How does Zeno say Augusta changed his home?
5. Why does Zeno say Catina called him a little Jew?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)