|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Zeno attempt to fool the doctor?
(a) By pretending he'd dreamed of Carla.
(b) By pretending he'd dreamed of sucking on a woman's left foot.
(c) By pretending he'd dreamed of killing his father.
(d) By pretending he'd dreamed of Augusta.
2. What did the doctor say about the effect of cigarette smoking on Zeno?
(a) It did not hurt him at all.
(b) It was poisoning his blood.
(c) It was damaging his lungs.
(d) It was an excuse for wrong doing.
3. To what did the doctor attribute Zeno's problems?
(a) Being too stubborn.
(b) Hating himself.
(c) Being in love with his mother and wanting to kill his father--oedipal complex.
(d) A chemical imbalance.
4. How many months did Zeno spend away from the office in Chapter 5?
(a) Two months.
(b) Three months.
(c) One month.
(d) Five months.
5. What did Zeno think the first time Carla sang for him?
(a) He thought she had superior talent.
(b) He thought her voice lost its musical quality when she sang.
(c) He thought she had a voice made for lullabies.
(d) He thought he could sing better.
6. Why did Zeno buy a music book for Carla?
(a) Out of guilt.
(b) As an apology.
(c) To make himself feel better about approaching her.
(d) To express his genuine interest in her singing.
7. What did Zeno think of Carla?
(a) He thought she was charming.
(b) He thought she was too passionate.
(c) He thought she was a hard nut to crack.
(d) He thought she was rude.
8. Why does Zeno say Catina called him a little Jew?
(a) He refused to lend his brother his spoon.
(b) She disliked Jews.
(c) He refused to give her money.
(d) The way he looked.
9. What disease was Ada diagnosed with?
(a) Morbus Basedow.
10. With whom does Zeno say he returned to Trieste after being separated from his family?
(a) No one.
(c) A new mistress.
11. Why does Zeno think Carmen screamed on the boat?
(a) She was angry with Zeno.
(b) Guido squeezed her.
(c) She was afraid of the dark.
(d) She caught a fish.
12. About how long does Zeno say he preserved his faith in Guido's undertaking?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three months.
13. Who was Carla Gerco?
(a) A maid.
(b) A singer Copler was helping to support.
(c) Augusta's friend.
(d) A stenographer.
14. What two fears does Zeno discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) Fear that Augusta will betray him.
(b) Fear of being insignificant.
(c) The fear of growing old and dying.
(d) Fear of life with only one woman.
15. In Chapter 6, why did Zeno leave the doctor's office smoking like a Turk?
(a) To try the doctor's experiment.
(b) To re-educate himself.
(c) To prove the doctor wrong.
(d) To defy the doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprised Zeno about Augusta?
2. What was Carla's financial status?
3. Who was Enrico Copler?
4. Where did Ada go to recover from her illness?
5. How did Zeno usually treat Augusta during his affair with Carla?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)