|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ada say she hated about Guido?
(a) His snoring.
(b) His pot belly.
(c) His cheating.
(d) His violin playing.
2. At first, what did Zeno and Guido spend a great deal of time doing instead of working?
(a) Chasing women.
(d) Buying things.
3. Why did Zeno leave the office for an extended time?
(a) He couldn't get along with Guido.
(b) He was upset because Carla left him.
(c) Augusta needed him at home.
(d) Olivi died.
4. Why did Ada visit the office unexpectedly?
(a) To seduce Zeno.
(b) To announce that she was pregnant.
(c) To tell Zeno that Augusta was leaving him.
(d) To see the fifth addition to the office.
5. How did Zeno feel about the doctor's diagnosis?
(a) Anger and resentment.
(b) Confusion and guilt.
(c) Disbelief and amusement.
6. Why did Carla end the affair with Zeno?
(a) She wanted to get married.
(b) Zeno was harsh with her.
(c) She didn't want to hurt Zeno's wife.
(d) Zeno tried to force her to continue singing.
7. In one of his memories, Zeno's father raises his leg to kick him. What or whom did Zeno kick when no one was looking?
(a) Guido's dog.
(b) Augusta's dog.
(c) His son.
(d) His daughter.
8. Why did Copler take Zeno to meet Carla?
(a) Carla wished to meet one of her benefactors.
(b) In the hopes that meeting Carla would prompt Zeno to continue his contributions.
(c) So that Zeno could admire her beauty.
(d) So that Zeno could advise Carla.
9. On Zeno's third visit to see Carla, why didn't he think of Augusta?
(a) He was feeling very passionate.
(b) He was angry with his father-in-law.
(c) He was angry with Augusta.
(d) He stopped loving her.
10. What does Zeno do about smoking after ending his psychoanalysis sessions?
(a) He decides to cut back on smoking instead of quitting.
(b) He resumes making resolutions about smoking.
(c) He gives it up forever.
(d) He entices his wife to take up the habit with him.
11. After Zeno describes a particular dream, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What did the woman in his dream look like?
(a) Dark, with brown eyes.
(b) Dark, with blue eyes.
(c) Like his father with a feminine face.
(d) Fair, with blue eyes.
12. With whom does Zeno say he returned to Trieste after being separated from his family?
(b) No one.
(d) A new mistress.
13. In Chapter 5, how did Augusta feel after hearing that Zeno had dreamed of Ada?
14. As time goes on, Zeno found new ways to justify his relationship with Carla. What was one of them?
(a) Augusta was unkind to him.
(b) It made him more loving to Augusta.
(c) Augusta wasn't passionate enough.
(d) Carla restored him to good health.
15. How many months did Zeno spend away from the office in Chapter 5?
(a) One month.
(b) Three months.
(c) Five months.
(d) Two months.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zeno feel when he thought of Augusta taking a second husband?
2. About how long does Zeno say he preserved his faith in Guido's undertaking?
3. To what did the doctor attribute Zeno's problems?
4. In Chapter 5, what did Zeno think of Ada's babies?
5. Who was Enrico Copler?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)