|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Zeno say Catina called him a little Jew?
(a) The way he looked.
(b) He refused to lend his brother his spoon.
(c) She disliked Jews.
(d) He refused to give her money.
2. After Zeno describes a particular dream to the doctor, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What was Zeno in the dream?
(a) His father.
(b) A woman.
(d) A baby.
3. How does Zeno say he found solitude in Chapter 6?
4. What did the doctor say Zeno was lost without?
(a) A woman.
(c) A mothering influence.
(d) A modicum of hatred.
5. With whom did Carla live?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother and father.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her mother.
6. Why did Guido pretend to commit suicide?
(a) To convince Ada to give him money.
(b) To gain sympathy from his creditors.
(c) To convince Zeno to remain in the office.
(d) To convince Carmen to stay with him.
7. What kind of businessman was Guido?
(a) A businessman of average skill.
(b) A skilled businessman who had bad luck.
(c) A poor businessman,
(d) A skilled businessman.
8. To what does Zeno usually attribute many of his shortcomings?
(c) A poor childhood.
9. Why didn't Guido want an office near the warehouse?
(a) He didn't want his wife to drop by.
(b) He said they were too close to home.
(c) He said they were too expensive.
(d) He said they smelled badly.
10. Why did Copler take Zeno to meet Carla?
(a) In the hopes that meeting Carla would prompt Zeno to continue his contributions.
(b) So that Zeno could advise Carla.
(c) So that Zeno could admire her beauty.
(d) Carla wished to meet one of her benefactors.
11. After Zeno describes a particular dream, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What did the woman in his dream look like?
(a) Like his father with a feminine face.
(b) Dark, with brown eyes.
(c) Fair, with blue eyes.
(d) Dark, with blue eyes.
12. Who asked Zeno to join him in business?
(b) Ada's new husband.
(d) Carla's husband.
13. How did Zeno react towards his daughter when she screamed too much?
(a) He screamed insults in her ear.
(b) He tenderly comforted her.
(c) He cried as well.
(d) He handed her to Augusta.
14. What change did Zeno and Augusta disagree about?
(a) Adding a laundry.
(b) Adding a nursery.
(c) Keeping the study for Zeno.
(d) Adding a den.
15. What did Zeno tire of doing on his honeymoon?
(a) Kissing his wife.
(b) Going to museums.
(c) Spending money.
(d) Reassuring his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zeno think of Carla?
2. How did Zeno usually treat Augusta during his affair with Carla?
3. What did the doctor say about the effect of cigarette smoking on Zeno?
4. How did Augusta feel about the fifth addition to the office?
5. Why did Zeno tell Augusta about Carla?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)