|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Zeno hope Dr. Paoli would do?
(a) Agree with his other doctor.
(b) Cure him of smoking.
(c) Tell him to stop going to psychoanalysis.
(d) Cure him of lust.
2. Why didn't Guido want an office near the warehouse?
(a) He said they were too close to home.
(b) He said they smelled badly.
(c) He said they were too expensive.
(d) He didn't want his wife to drop by.
3. Why did Ada say Zeno was good?
(a) He always went home to his wife and children.
(b) He stopped making passes at her.
(c) He helped Guido for free.
(d) He loved Augusta.
4. On Zeno's third visit to see Carla, why didn't he think of Augusta?
(a) He was angry with Augusta.
(b) He stopped loving her.
(c) He was feeling very passionate.
(d) He was angry with his father-in-law.
5. In Chapter 5, what did Zeno think of Ada's babies?
(a) They were horrid monsters.
(b) They looked like Guido.
(c) They were as beautiful as their mother.
(d) They cried too much.
6. Why did Ada visit the office unexpectedly?
(a) To seduce Zeno.
(b) To see the fifth addition to the office.
(c) To announce that she was pregnant.
(d) To tell Zeno that Augusta was leaving him.
7. What did the doctor say about the effect of cigarette smoking on Zeno?
(a) It did not hurt him at all.
(b) It was damaging his lungs.
(c) It was an excuse for wrong doing.
(d) It was poisoning his blood.
8. Why does Zeno say he was irritated by Guido's way of thinking?
(a) He reminded him of his father.
(b) He reminded him of Giovanni.
(c) His thoughts were similar to Zeno's.
(d) He saw his faults so clearly.
9. How did Zeno feel about the doctor's diagnosis?
(b) Disbelief and amusement.
(c) Confusion and guilt.
(d) Anger and resentment.
10. Where did Copler get the money to provide for Carla's support?
(a) From his own bank account.
(b) From his financial advisor.
(c) From his father.
(d) From his friends and other sympathetic people.
11. How many months did Zeno spend away from the office in Chapter 5?
(a) One month.
(b) Five months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Three months.
12. Why did Zeno buy a music book for Carla?
(a) To make himself feel better about approaching her.
(b) Out of guilt.
(c) To express his genuine interest in her singing.
(d) As an apology.
13. What kind of businessman was Guido?
(a) A skilled businessman who had bad luck.
(b) A poor businessman,
(c) A businessman of average skill.
(d) A skilled businessman.
14. How does Zeno say Augusta changed his home?
(a) She added too many feminine touches.
(b) She made it warmer and more comfortable.
(c) She removed all of his favorite things.
(d) She chose unappealing furnishings.
15. How did Zeno feel about diabetes when he thought he'd be diagnosed with it?
(a) He felt he'd brought it on himself.
(b) He hated it.
(c) He was terrified of it.
(d) He loved it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zeno react towards his daughter when she screamed too much?
2. How did Zeno feel when he thought of Augusta taking a second husband?
3. What change did Zeno and Augusta disagree about?
4. What disease did Zeno think Dr. Paoli might diagnose him with?
5. What decisive action did Carla take to end her affair with Zeno?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)