|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Ada say Zeno was good?
(a) He stopped making passes at her.
(b) He loved Augusta.
(c) He helped Guido for free.
(d) He always went home to his wife and children.
2. About how long does Zeno say he preserved his faith in Guido's undertaking?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Three months.
3. How did Zeno usually treat Augusta during his affair with Carla?
(a) With his customary tenderness and affection.
(b) With hostility.
(d) Like a sister.
4. What did the doctor say about the effect of cigarette smoking on Zeno?
(a) It was poisoning his blood.
(b) It did not hurt him at all.
(c) It was an excuse for wrong doing.
(d) It was damaging his lungs.
5. Why did Zeno tell Augusta about Carla?
(a) To trick her.
(b) To gain her trust.
(c) To maintain his innocence.
(d) To make her jealous.
6. What did Zeno hope Dr. Paoli would do?
(a) Tell him to stop going to psychoanalysis.
(b) Cure him of smoking.
(c) Agree with his other doctor.
(d) Cure him of lust.
7. How does Zeno say Augusta changed his home?
(a) She removed all of his favorite things.
(b) She chose unappealing furnishings.
(c) She added too many feminine touches.
(d) She made it warmer and more comfortable.
8. How did Guido die?
(a) Ada murdered him.
(b) He pretended to commit suicide again. He succeeded in killing himself this time.
(c) Carmen murdered him.
(d) He had a heart attack.
9. At first, what did Zeno and Guido spend a great deal of time doing instead of working?
(a) Chasing women.
(b) Buying things.
10. How did Zeno say he felt after his made-up dream?
11. What did Ada ask Zeno to promise before she left for the sanatorium?
(a) To be faithful to Augusta.
(b) To take care of Guido.
(c) To care for her children.
(d) To prevent Guido from cheating.
12. What did Zeno think of Carla?
(a) He thought she was too passionate.
(b) He thought she was charming.
(c) He thought she was a hard nut to crack.
(d) He thought she was rude.
13. Where did Copler get the money to provide for Carla's support?
(a) From his friends and other sympathetic people.
(b) From his own bank account.
(c) From his financial advisor.
(d) From his father.
14. With whom did Carla live?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her mother and father.
(d) Her father.
15. What two fears does Zeno discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) Fear that Augusta will betray him.
(b) Fear of life with only one woman.
(c) Fear of being insignificant.
(d) The fear of growing old and dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zeno say he found solitude in Chapter 6?
2. Why didn't Copler learn of the relationship between Carla and Zeno?
3. Why did Zeno miss Guido's funeral?
4. Who asked Zeno to join him in business?
5. How did Zeno feel about the doctor's diagnosis?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)