|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zeno say he found solitude in Chapter 6?
2. Why did the doctor say Zeno adopted smoking as his vice?
(a) To draw attention to himself.
(b) To compete with his father.
(c) To punish himself.
(d) His low self-esteem.
3. What did the doctor say Zeno was lost without?
(a) A woman.
(c) A mothering influence.
(d) A modicum of hatred.
4. Why did Carla end the affair with Zeno?
(a) Zeno was harsh with her.
(b) She wanted to get married.
(c) She didn't want to hurt Zeno's wife.
(d) Zeno tried to force her to continue singing.
5. The name of the last female Zeno mentions flirting with is __________.
6. From which of the following people did the doctor solicit information about Guido: Carmen, Augusta, or Luciano?
(c) None of them.
7. What did Ada say she hated about Guido?
(a) His violin playing.
(b) His cheating.
(c) His snoring.
(d) His pot belly.
8. What effect did Zeno think his marriage had on him at first?
(a) He thought it put him on the road to perfect health.
(b) He believed it made his cigarette cravings more intense.
(c) He believed it stifled his creative energy.
(d) He felt it dampened his passions.
9. How did Zeno react towards his daughter when she screamed too much?
(a) He screamed insults in her ear.
(b) He tenderly comforted her.
(c) He cried as well.
(d) He handed her to Augusta.
10. On Zeno's third visit to see Carla, why didn't he think of Augusta?
(a) He was angry with his father-in-law.
(b) He stopped loving her.
(c) He was feeling very passionate.
(d) He was angry with Augusta.
11. To what did the doctor attribute Zeno's problems?
(a) Being in love with his mother and wanting to kill his father--oedipal complex.
(b) A chemical imbalance.
(c) Hating himself.
(d) Being too stubborn.
12. What did Zeno hope Dr. Paoli would do?
(a) Tell him to stop going to psychoanalysis.
(b) Agree with his other doctor.
(c) Cure him of lust.
(d) Cure him of smoking.
13. About how long does Zeno say he preserved his faith in Guido's undertaking?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Two weeks.
14. Whom did Augusta say Antonia resembled?
(a) Augusta's father.
(b) Augusta's aunt.
(c) Augusta's mother.
15. What was Carla's financial status?
(a) She was very wealthy.
(b) She was an up and coming business person.
(c) She had a small trust fund.
(d) She was of little means.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Guido pretend to commit suicide?
2. What change did Zeno and Augusta disagree about?
3. How did Zeno say he felt after his made-up dream?
4. Why did Copler take Zeno to meet Carla?
5. What does Zeno say he realized with horror after giving up treatment?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)