|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two fears does Zeno discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) The fear of growing old and dying.
(b) Fear of being insignificant.
(c) Fear of life with only one woman.
(d) Fear that Augusta will betray him.
2. How did Zeno initially feel about sleeping with Carla?
(a) Young again.
3. How did Zeno usually treat Augusta during his affair with Carla?
(a) Like a sister.
(b) With hostility.
(c) With his customary tenderness and affection.
4. Why didn't Copler learn of the relationship between Carla and Zeno?
(a) He moved away.
(b) Carla moved and didn't give hime her address.
(c) He died.
(d) He ended his friendship with Zeno and stopped helping Carla.
5. In one of his memories, Zeno's father raises his leg to kick him. What or whom did Zeno kick when no one was looking?
(a) His son.
(b) His daughter.
(c) Augusta's dog.
(d) Guido's dog.
6. What did Zeno tell himself he was going to do when he visited Carla for the third time?
(a) Confess his love for his wife.
(b) Make love to her.
(c) Give her up.
(d) Kiss her.
7. What did the doctor think about Zeno's relationship with Guido?
(a) He loved him.
(b) He continuously envied him.
(c) He had never ceased disliking him.
(d) He came to regard him as a brother.
8. Why did Carla end the affair with Zeno?
(a) She didn't want to hurt Zeno's wife.
(b) Zeno tried to force her to continue singing.
(c) She wanted to get married.
(d) Zeno was harsh with her.
9. Where did Copler get the money to provide for Carla's support?
(a) From his father.
(b) From his friends and other sympathetic people.
(c) From his own bank account.
(d) From his financial advisor.
10. What did the doctor say about Zeno seeing colors?
(a) Nicotine had made his eyes ultra-sensitive.
(b) He felt Zeno was making things up again.
(c) Zeno had made an important scientific discovery.
(d) Zeno must have been dreaming.
11. How does Zeno say Augusta changed his home?
(a) She chose unappealing furnishings.
(b) She made it warmer and more comfortable.
(c) She added too many feminine touches.
(d) She removed all of his favorite things.
12. What did the doctor say about the effect of cigarette smoking on Zeno?
(a) It was an excuse for wrong doing.
(b) It was poisoning his blood.
(c) It did not hurt him at all.
(d) It was damaging his lungs.
13. Where did Ada go to recover from her illness?
(a) To live with her mother.
(b) To the family vacation home.
(c) To her sister's house.
(d) To a sanatorium.
14. Who was the fifth addition to the office Zeno shared with Guido?
(b) Olivi's son.
(c) Zeno's son.
15. In Chapter 6, what did Zeno say the freedom to smoke gave him?
(c) A way out of thinking.
(d) The final coup de grace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Zeno continue with his psychoanalysis sessions after they became torture for him?
2. What decisive action did Carla take to end her affair with Zeno?
3. Why did Zeno miss Guido's funeral?
4. How does Zeno say he felt when he discovered that he did not have the disease he expected?
5. What did Zeno hope Dr. Paoli would do?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)