|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprised Zeno about Augusta?
(a) She had a nasty temper.
(b) She stopped loving him.
(c) She was a good wife.
(d) She was a good cook.
2. How does Zeno say Augusta changed his home?
(a) She added too many feminine touches.
(b) She chose unappealing furnishings.
(c) She made it warmer and more comfortable.
(d) She removed all of his favorite things.
3. What does Zeno do about smoking after ending his psychoanalysis sessions?
(a) He decides to cut back on smoking instead of quitting.
(b) He resumes making resolutions about smoking.
(c) He gives it up forever.
(d) He entices his wife to take up the habit with him.
4. In Chapter 4, what startling discovery did Zeno say he made?
(a) Ada secretly loved him.
(b) He was unsuited to marriage.
(c) Alberta met a man she wanted to marry.
(d) He loved Augusta as much as she loved him.
5. Who was Enrico Copler?
(a) Zeno's accountant.
(b) Zeno's sick friend.
(c) Zeno's rival.
(d) Augusta's love interest.
6. What does Zeno say made him work so energetically for Guido?
(a) His gratitude.
(b) He wanted to prove his worth to Ada.
(c) He wanted to take over Guido's business.
(d) His need for money.
7. What did Zeno hope Dr. Paoli would do?
(a) Tell him to stop going to psychoanalysis.
(b) Agree with his other doctor.
(c) Cure him of lust.
(d) Cure him of smoking.
8. How did Zeno feel about the doctor's diagnosis?
(a) Anger and resentment.
(c) Disbelief and amusement.
(d) Confusion and guilt.
9. What was the state of Carla's virtue before Zeno's affair with her?
(a) She'd been intimate with many men.
(b) She'd been uninterested in the opposite sex.
(c) She was a virgin.
(d) She'd had one previous lover.
10. Who initially worked in the office with Zeno and Guido?
11. In Chapter 5, how did Augusta feel after hearing that Zeno had dreamed of Ada?
12. Why does Zeno think Carmen screamed on the boat?
(a) Guido squeezed her.
(b) She caught a fish.
(c) She was afraid of the dark.
(d) She was angry with Zeno.
13. How did Zeno say he felt after his made-up dream?
14. After Zeno describes a particular dream, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What did the woman in his dream look like?
(a) Dark, with blue eyes.
(b) Fair, with blue eyes.
(c) Like his father with a feminine face.
(d) Dark, with brown eyes.
15. What change did Zeno and Augusta disagree about?
(a) Adding a den.
(b) Keeping the study for Zeno.
(c) Adding a laundry.
(d) Adding a nursery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the doctor say Zeno was lost without?
2. What did Zeno think the first time Carla sang for him?
3. In Chapter 5, how does Zeno say Guido seemed to him?
4. The name of the last female Zeno mentions flirting with is __________.
5. Why did Zeno leave the office for an extended time?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)