|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the fifth addition to the office Zeno shared with Guido?
(a) Zeno's son.
(d) Olivi's son.
2. What did Zeno worry that Carla would want from him?
(b) Too much money.
(c) Too much time.
3. In Chapter 6, what did Zeno say the freedom to smoke gave him?
(b) The final coup de grace.
(d) A way out of thinking.
4. Where did Copler get the money to provide for Carla's support?
(a) From his father.
(b) From his financial advisor.
(c) From his own bank account.
(d) From his friends and other sympathetic people.
5. How did Zeno feel about the doctor's diagnosis?
(a) Confusion and guilt.
(c) Disbelief and amusement.
(d) Anger and resentment.
6. What change did Zeno and Augusta disagree about?
(a) Adding a laundry.
(b) Adding a den.
(c) Adding a nursery.
(d) Keeping the study for Zeno.
7. What does Zeno do about smoking after ending his psychoanalysis sessions?
(a) He decides to cut back on smoking instead of quitting.
(b) He resumes making resolutions about smoking.
(c) He entices his wife to take up the habit with him.
(d) He gives it up forever.
8. What did the doctor say about Zeno seeing colors?
(a) Zeno must have been dreaming.
(b) Nicotine had made his eyes ultra-sensitive.
(c) Zeno had made an important scientific discovery.
(d) He felt Zeno was making things up again.
9. On Zeno's third visit to see Carla, why didn't he think of Augusta?
(a) He was angry with Augusta.
(b) He stopped loving her.
(c) He was angry with his father-in-law.
(d) He was feeling very passionate.
10. After Zeno describes a particular dream to the doctor, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What was Zeno in the dream?
(a) His father.
(b) A baby.
(c) A woman.
11. In Chapter 5, what did Zeno think of Ada's babies?
(a) They cried too much.
(b) They were as beautiful as their mother.
(c) They were horrid monsters.
(d) They looked like Guido.
12. How did Augusta feel about the fifth addition to the office?
13. What was Carla's financial status?
(a) She had a small trust fund.
(b) She was very wealthy.
(c) She was of little means.
(d) She was an up and coming business person.
14. Why does Zeno say he was irritated by Guido's way of thinking?
(a) His thoughts were similar to Zeno's.
(b) He reminded him of Giovanni.
(c) He saw his faults so clearly.
(d) He reminded him of his father.
15. With whom does Zeno say he returned to Trieste after being separated from his family?
(c) No one.
(d) A new mistress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Guido pretend to commit suicide?
2. How did Ada's illness make Augusta's family act towards Zeno?
3. From which of the following people did the doctor solicit information about Guido: Carmen, Augusta, or Luciano?
4. What surprised Zeno about Augusta?
5. How many months did Zeno spend away from the office in Chapter 5?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)