|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of businessman was Guido?
(a) A poor businessman,
(b) A businessman of average skill.
(c) A skilled businessman who had bad luck.
(d) A skilled businessman.
2. Why does Zeno say Catina called him a little Jew?
(a) He refused to lend his brother his spoon.
(b) The way he looked.
(c) He refused to give her money.
(d) She disliked Jews.
3. In Chapter 5, what did Zeno think of Ada's babies?
(a) They were horrid monsters.
(b) They were as beautiful as their mother.
(c) They looked like Guido.
(d) They cried too much.
4. How did Zeno say he felt after his made-up dream?
5. What did the doctor say about the effect of cigarette smoking on Zeno?
(a) It did not hurt him at all.
(b) It was poisoning his blood.
(c) It was an excuse for wrong doing.
(d) It was damaging his lungs.
6. How did Guido die?
(a) Carmen murdered him.
(b) Ada murdered him.
(c) He pretended to commit suicide again. He succeeded in killing himself this time.
(d) He had a heart attack.
7. How did Ada's illness make Augusta's family act towards Zeno?
(b) No differently.
(c) More affectionately.
8. To what did the doctor attribute Zeno's problems?
(a) A chemical imbalance.
(b) Being in love with his mother and wanting to kill his father--oedipal complex.
(c) Being too stubborn.
(d) Hating himself.
9. What disease did Zeno think Dr. Paoli might diagnose him with?
(c) Grave's disease.
10. What change did Zeno and Augusta disagree about?
(a) Adding a nursery.
(b) Adding a den.
(c) Adding a laundry.
(d) Keeping the study for Zeno.
11. What did Ada ask Zeno to promise before she left for the sanatorium?
(a) To care for her children.
(b) To be faithful to Augusta.
(c) To prevent Guido from cheating.
(d) To take care of Guido.
12. At first, what did Zeno and Guido spend a great deal of time doing instead of working?
(b) Chasing women.
(d) Buying things.
13. After Zeno describes a particular dream, the doctor says Zeno is cured. What did the woman in his dream look like?
(a) Dark, with brown eyes.
(b) Fair, with blue eyes.
(c) Dark, with blue eyes.
(d) Like his father with a feminine face.
14. With whom did Carla live?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her mother and father.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her sister.
15. How did Zeno initially feel about sleeping with Carla?
(b) Young again.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zeno feel when he thought of Augusta taking a second husband?
2. How did Zeno react towards his daughter when she screamed too much?
3. With whom does Zeno say he returned to Trieste after being separated from his family?
4. What did Ada say she hated about Guido?
5. In Chapter 6, what did Zeno say the freedom to smoke gave him?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)