|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what did Zeno think of Ada's babies?
(a) They cried too much.
(b) They were horrid monsters.
(c) They were as beautiful as their mother.
(d) They looked like Guido.
2. What was Carla's financial status?
(a) She was of little means.
(b) She was very wealthy.
(c) She was an up and coming business person.
(d) She had a small trust fund.
3. What did the doctor say about the effect of cigarette smoking on Zeno?
(a) It did not hurt him at all.
(b) It was an excuse for wrong doing.
(c) It was damaging his lungs.
(d) It was poisoning his blood.
4. What did Zeno think of Carla?
(a) He thought she was a hard nut to crack.
(b) He thought she was charming.
(c) He thought she was rude.
(d) He thought she was too passionate.
5. What surprised Zeno about Augusta?
(a) She had a nasty temper.
(b) She was a good wife.
(c) She stopped loving him.
(d) She was a good cook.
6. How did Zeno feel when he thought of Augusta taking a second husband?
7. Who caught Tacich's eye as a love interest?
(d) Zeno's daughter.
8. How many months did Zeno spend away from the office in Chapter 5?
(a) Two months.
(b) Five months.
(c) One month.
(d) Three months.
9. What did Zeno tell the doctor when he returned to see him the next day?
(a) His chronic bronchitis had broken out again.
(b) He'd been unable to sleep all night.
(c) Smoking no longer harmed him.
(d) He could no longer stand the smell of cigarettes.
10. What did Zeno worry that Carla would want from him?
(c) Too much time.
(d) Too much money.
11. Why did Zeno miss Guido's funeral?
(a) He overslept.
(b) He decided not to attend.
(c) He was with his mistress.
(d) He was gambling.
12. As time goes on, Zeno found new ways to justify his relationship with Carla. What was one of them?
(a) Augusta wasn't passionate enough.
(b) Augusta was unkind to him.
(c) Carla restored him to good health.
(d) It made him more loving to Augusta.
13. What did Ada ask Zeno to promise before she left for the sanatorium?
(a) To prevent Guido from cheating.
(b) To be faithful to Augusta.
(c) To care for her children.
(d) To take care of Guido.
14. What did the doctor say Zeno was lost without?
(a) A woman.
(b) A modicum of hatred.
(d) A mothering influence.
15. In Chapter 6, what did Zeno say the freedom to smoke gave him?
(b) A way out of thinking.
(d) The final coup de grace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect did Zeno think his marriage had on him at first?
2. What was the state of Carla's virtue before Zeno's affair with her?
3. In one of his memories, Zeno's father raises his leg to kick him. What or whom did Zeno kick when no one was looking?
4. On Zeno's third visit to see Carla, why didn't he think of Augusta?
5. Whom did Augusta say Antonia resembled?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)