|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Guido pretend to commit suicide?
(a) To convince Carmen to stay with him.
(b) To convince Ada to give him money.
(c) To gain sympathy from his creditors.
(d) To convince Zeno to remain in the office.
2. In one of his memories, Zeno's father raises his leg to kick him. What or whom did Zeno kick when no one was looking?
(a) Augusta's dog.
(b) His son.
(c) His daughter.
(d) Guido's dog.
3. What did the doctor say about the effect of cigarette smoking on Zeno?
(a) It was an excuse for wrong doing.
(b) It was damaging his lungs.
(c) It was poisoning his blood.
(d) It did not hurt him at all.
4. What did Zeno tell the doctor when he returned to see him the next day?
(a) He'd been unable to sleep all night.
(b) Smoking no longer harmed him.
(c) He could no longer stand the smell of cigarettes.
(d) His chronic bronchitis had broken out again.
5. Why didn't Guido want an office near the warehouse?
(a) He said they smelled badly.
(b) He said they were too close to home.
(c) He said they were too expensive.
(d) He didn't want his wife to drop by.
6. Who was Enrico Copler?
(a) Augusta's love interest.
(b) Zeno's rival.
(c) Zeno's sick friend.
(d) Zeno's accountant.
7. Which war begins at the end of this book?
(a) World War I.
(b) The American Revolution.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Thirty Years' War.
8. How did Zeno feel when he thought of Augusta taking a second husband?
9. About how long does Zeno say he preserved his faith in Guido's undertaking?
(a) One year.
(b) Three months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two years.
10. What did Zeno tell himself he was going to do when he visited Carla for the third time?
(a) Give her up.
(b) Make love to her.
(c) Confess his love for his wife.
(d) Kiss her.
11. To what does Zeno usually attribute many of his shortcomings?
(a) A poor childhood.
12. Why does Zeno say Catina called him a little Jew?
(a) The way he looked.
(b) He refused to give her money.
(c) She disliked Jews.
(d) He refused to lend his brother his spoon.
13. How did Zeno initially feel about sleeping with Carla?
(d) Young again.
14. Why did Carla end the affair with Zeno?
(a) Zeno was harsh with her.
(b) She didn't want to hurt Zeno's wife.
(c) She wanted to get married.
(d) Zeno tried to force her to continue singing.
15. What surprised Zeno about Augusta?
(a) She stopped loving him.
(b) She was a good wife.
(c) She was a good cook.
(d) She had a nasty temper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the doctor say Zeno was lost without?
2. How did Zeno react towards his daughter when she screamed too much?
3. What did Carla do with the first envelope of money Zeno offered her?
4. In Chapter 6, why did Zeno leave the doctor's office smoking like a Turk?
5. What did Zeno tire of doing on his honeymoon?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)