|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what did the doctor attribute Zeno's problems?
(a) A chemical imbalance.
(b) Hating himself.
(c) Being in love with his mother and wanting to kill his father--oedipal complex.
(d) Being too stubborn.
2. What decisive action did Carla take to end her affair with Zeno?
(a) She moved away.
(b) She told Ada about the affair.
(c) She married Lali.
(d) She told Zeno's wife about the affair.
3. What does Zeno say made him work so energetically for Guido?
(a) He wanted to prove his worth to Ada.
(b) His need for money.
(c) His gratitude.
(d) He wanted to take over Guido's business.
4. What did Zeno hope Dr. Paoli would do?
(a) Cure him of smoking.
(b) Cure him of lust.
(c) Agree with his other doctor.
(d) Tell him to stop going to psychoanalysis.
5. In Chapter 5, how does Zeno say Guido seemed to him?
(a) Worn out.
(b) Exceedingly happy.
(c) Confused about his future.
(d) Weak and in need of protection.
6. How did Zeno feel about diabetes when he thought he'd be diagnosed with it?
(a) He felt he'd brought it on himself.
(b) He loved it.
(c) He hated it.
(d) He was terrified of it.
7. In Chapter 5, what did Zeno think of Ada's babies?
(a) They were as beautiful as their mother.
(b) They were horrid monsters.
(c) They looked like Guido.
(d) They cried too much.
8. What did Ada say she hated about Guido?
(a) His violin playing.
(b) His snoring.
(c) His cheating.
(d) His pot belly.
9. How did Guido die?
(a) Carmen murdered him.
(b) He had a heart attack.
(c) He pretended to commit suicide again. He succeeded in killing himself this time.
(d) Ada murdered him.
10. How did Zeno usually treat Augusta during his affair with Carla?
(a) With his customary tenderness and affection.
(b) With hostility.
(d) Like a sister.
11. Why didn't Copler learn of the relationship between Carla and Zeno?
(a) He ended his friendship with Zeno and stopped helping Carla.
(b) He moved away.
(c) He died.
(d) Carla moved and didn't give hime her address.
12. How did Zeno initially feel about sleeping with Carla?
(b) Young again.
13. What kind of businessman was Guido?
(a) A businessman of average skill.
(b) A skilled businessman.
(c) A skilled businessman who had bad luck.
(d) A poor businessman,
14. In Chapter 5, how did Augusta feel after hearing that Zeno had dreamed of Ada?
15. Why did Guido pretend to commit suicide?
(a) To convince Ada to give him money.
(b) To convince Carmen to stay with him.
(c) To convince Zeno to remain in the office.
(d) To gain sympathy from his creditors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeno say he realized with horror after giving up treatment?
2. What does Zeno do about smoking after ending his psychoanalysis sessions?
3. In Chapter 4, what startling discovery did Zeno say he made?
4. What did Zeno worry that Carla would want from him?
5. What did Ada ask Zeno to promise before she left for the sanatorium?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)