|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The subject of Poem 640 was obviously a _____ as Emily states that in heaven they would be judged because the object of her admiration "served Heaven" while Emily did not.
(b) Social worker.
(d) Church worker.
2. Emily talks about the feeling of exhilaration in Poem 1118. She writes that this feeling of exhilaration raises people above their normal conditions and makes them feel as if they are somewhat better than their _____________.
(c) Average circumstances.
3. The ____ is the subject of Poem 737.
4. In Poem 1747, the parasol is generally associated with a ____ and is used mainly for decoration.
5. In Poem 621, Emily asks for only one thing. What does she offer for it?
(a) Her life.
(b) Her faith.
(c) Her writing.
(d) All her money.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 1176, Emily writes about the spectacular abilities of _____.
2. In Poem 737, Emily describes the moon in friendly terms. The description paints a picture of the moon being arrayed in silver, beryl and ____, materials used often in jewelry.
3. In Poem 824, Emily notes that, despite the threat of the storm, _______ is not damaged. Only a tree in the yard is split.
4. In Poem 1100, Emily writes about the death of a loved one. She first notes the night of the death was _____ for everyone not associated with the death.
5. Memory is the topic of Poem 1406. This poem states that those who have once been part of someone's memory never lose their place in the _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the poet's comparison of the brain to God in Poem 632.
2. Discuss the poet's relationship with the moon in Poem 737.
3. Describe the wind in Poem 1137.
4. How does Dickinson describe the death of a loved on in Poem 1100?
5. What is the metaphor for fame in Poem 1763?
6. How does Emily feel about the concept that pain grows less over time in Poem 686?
7. Discuss the theme of bravery in Poem 1699.
8. In Poem 964 Emily writes about the way in which God accepts His children. Describe this poem.
9. Describe the second version of Poem 1357.
10. How does the poet describe the lives of the children of God in Poem 1021?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)