|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Poem 1176, Emily writes about the spectacular abilities of _____.
2. The relationship between an _____ and a parasol is the topic of Poem 1747.
(b) Artist's painting.
3. In Poem 1168, Emily writes about the age old emotions of _________. Although these two emotions are usually found together, they are not generally of equal standing.
(a) Lust and pride.
(b) Sadness and joy.
(c) Faith and depression.
(d) Pride and generosity.
4. The subject of Poem 640 was obviously a _____ as Emily states that in heaven they would be judged because the object of her admiration "served Heaven" while Emily did not.
(a) Church worker.
(d) Social worker.
5. Poem 725 is a poem about finding home and comfort any place a ______ is located.
(b) Loved one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hope is the topic of Poem 1392. Emily states that hope is always working but never ___________.
2. In Poem 1374, Emily writes about comparisons. While a saucer holds only a little in the eyes of a human, it holds a feast in the eyes of a ____.
3. Poem 739 depicts Emily's search for peace. She writes she often felt peace was at hand, almost as some see hallucinations of ______ where there is none.
4. In Poem 1680, Emily writes about the nature of love. She states that in her opinion, there are few people in the world who ___________.
5. In Poem 726, lines 2, 4, and 6 end with the rhyming words of die, by and ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emily feel about the concept that pain grows less over time in Poem 686?
2. How does Emily use the imagery of the sea in Poem 723?
3. What is the metaphor for fame in Poem 1763?
4. Describe the second version of Poem 1357.
5. How does Dickinson describe the death of a loved on in Poem 1100?
6. How does the poet describe the nature of God in Poem 1163?
7. What does Emily write of "hope" in poem 1392?
8. Discuss the theme of bravery in Poem 1699.
9. How does the poet describe the lives of the children of God in Poem 1021?
10. Describe the wind in Poem 1137.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)