|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the character in Poem Seven feel mentally about her situation?
(a) She feels happy.
(b) She feel anxious.
(c) She feels sad.
(d) She feels shameful.
2. What is the last line of Poem Seven?
(a) i just cdnt stop grinnin.
(b) once i waz pregnant & shamed of myself.
(c) & we are left with scars.
(d) waznt no need for colored folks to bear no cross at all.
3. Where is the lady in orange from?
(a) Outside St. Louis.
(b) Outside Chicago.
(c) Outside Houston.
(d) Outside Baltimore.
4. What is the first word spoken in Poem Seven?
5. What are the stage directions for all of the characters on stage at the end Poem Six?
(a) The characters run to one side of the stage.
(b) The characters dance to the music.
(c) The characters are all hit by an imaginary slap.
(d) The characters fall to the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, "are we ghouls?/ children of horror?/ the joke?"
2. Which one of these folk songs does the cast of the play sing in Poem One?
3. Where is the lady in red from?
4. What does the lady in orange do at the end of Poem Four?
5. Based on Poem One, what is a major theme of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the poetic imagery in Poem Six.
2. Why do the characters end the play on a good note, despite the journey?
3. Describe the character in Poem Fourteen.
4. What does Poem Eighteen allow the characters to do? What do the characters use the poem to describe?
5. Describe the language used in Poem Nine.
6. What did Beau do after Crystal got a court order? What does Beau do on his last attempt to win Crystal back?
7. What does the lady in brown mean in Poem One when she says, "dark phrases of womanhood/ of never havin been a girl/ half-notes scattered/ without rhythm/ no tune"?
8. Describe Poem Nine.
9. Describe the imagery and language in Poem Nineteen. Describe the rage in Poem Nineteen.
10. What is the theme of Poem Three? How is this a theme of the poem?
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)