|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Poem Seven, which character says,"tubes tables white washed windows/ grime from age wiped over once"?
(a) The lady in yellow.
(b) The lady in brown.
(c) The lady in orange.
(d) The lady in blue.
2. What is the story in Poem Seven about?
3. What is the last line of Poem Seven?
(a) i just cdnt stop grinnin.
(b) waznt no need for colored folks to bear no cross at all.
(c) once i waz pregnant & shamed of myself.
(d) & we are left with scars.
4. Where is the lady in yellow from?
(a) Outside Houston.
(b) Outside Chicago.
(c) Outside Detroit.
(d) Outside San Francisco.
5. What does the narrator mean when she says, "dark phrases of womanhood/ of never havin been a girl/ half-notes scattered/ without rhythm" in Poem One?
(a) She takes life seriously.
(b) Her life is on track and very focused.
(c) Her life is scattered with no direction.
(d) Her life is perfect.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem One, which character(s) say(s), "an put your hands on your hips/ an let your backbone slip"?
2. What are the stage directions for all of the characters on stage at the end Poem Six?
3. Which character relays the main narrative in Poem Two?
4. In Poem Three, how old was the main character when she ran off?
5. Which one of these folk songs does the cast of the play sing in Poem One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Poem Twelve? How do the women deal with the situation that arises?
2. What does the final dance represent?
3. What happened to Beau when he came back from the war? Why did Crystal have to get a court order against Beau?
4. How do the women move to the ends of their rainbow?
5. Why do the characters end the play on a good note, despite the journey?
6. What does the lady in brown mean in Poem One when she says, "dark phrases of womanhood/ of never havin been a girl/ half-notes scattered/ without rhythm/ no tune"?
7. What is the purpose of Poem Seven?
8. Why do the women describe themselves as living outside of the cities in Poem One?
9. What does Poem Eighteen allow the characters to do? What do the characters use the poem to describe?
10. According to the stage directions, how does Sequence Four end?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)