|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Poem Three, what happened as a result of the main character's favorite musician not playing?
(a) She learned to play an instrument.
(b) She discovered different kinds of music.
(c) She never listened to that artist again.
(d) She stopped listening to worldly music.
2. Who is the last character to speak in Poem One?
(a) The lady in green.
(b) The lady in red.
(c) The lady in brown.
(d) The lady in purple.
3. What is the purpose of Poem One?
(a) It is the introduction to a character's life.
(b) It is a preface to the story.
(c) It is a song about the main characters.
(d) It is an innvocation.
4. What is the last line of Poem Seven?
(a) & we are left with scars.
(b) i just cdnt stop grinnin.
(c) once i waz pregnant & shamed of myself.
(d) waznt no need for colored folks to bear no cross at all.
5. In Poem Two, what happened to the poem's main character the day after the party?
(a) She could not find her glasses.
(b) She had a bad headache.
(c) She could not stop smiling.
(d) She was in a car accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the main character in Poem Four decide to do as a result of her relationship?
2. In Poem One, which character says, "dark phrases of womanhood/of never havin been a girl"?
3. At the end of Poem One, what type of colored girls does the narrator say this play is for?
4. Where is the lady in yellow from?
5. What is the only way that the lady in orange says she can communicate at the beginning of Poem Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ntozake Shange juxtapose the images in Poems Six and Seven?
2. What does the lady in brown mean in Poem One when she says, "dark phrases of womanhood/ of never havin been a girl/ half-notes scattered/ without rhythm/ no tune"?
3. What is the purpose of Poem Six?
4. How are the poems in Sequence Two linked to each other?
5. Describe the imagery and language in Poem Nineteen. Describe the rage in Poem Nineteen.
6. How did the lady in red discover God?
7. Why does the lady in brown open and close the play?
8. Describe the language used in Poem Nine.
9. What issue is discussed in the final poem?
10. How do the women move to the ends of their rainbow?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)