|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does each character do before anyone starts to speak?
(a) Dances to a popular song.
(b) Runs on stage and freezes in a position of distress.
(c) Sings a popular song.
(d) Runs on stage and falls on the floor.
2. In Poem One, which character says, "dark phrases of womanhood/of never havin been a girl"?
(a) The lady in orange.
(b) The lady in brown.
(c) The lady in red.
(d) The lady in green.
3. What is the last line of Poem Seven?
(a) i just cdnt stop grinnin.
(b) & we are left with scars.
(c) waznt no need for colored folks to bear no cross at all.
(d) once i waz pregnant & shamed of myself.
4. Who is the artist that sings the song at the start of Poem Six?
(a) The Dells.
(b) Martha and the Vandellas.
(c) Willie Colon.
(d) Carlos Santana.
5. What are the stage directions for all of the characters on stage at the end Poem Six?
(a) The characters fall to the floor.
(b) The characters dance to the music.
(c) The characters run to one side of the stage.
(d) The characters are all hit by an imaginary slap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game do the characters play at the end of the play?
2. What ties Poems Six and Seven in Sequence Two together?
3. How does the narrator in Poem Seven tell her story?
4. In Sequence One, which character says, "sneakin in under age to slug's/ to stare ata real 'artiste'/ & every word outta imamu's mouth waz gospel"?
5. How many characters run off stage after the lights change at the end of Poem Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ntozake Shange juxtapose the images in Poems Six and Seven?
2. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Four.
3. How does the lady in yellow begin Poem Sixteen? What feelings does she convey in the poem?
4. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Two.
5. What metaphors are apparent in Poem Seventeen? What do these metaphors represent?
6. Why do the characters end the play on a good note, despite the journey?
7. Who is the main character in Poem Ten? What story does the lady in red share about this character?
8. What does Poem One represent? What is its significance?
9. How did the lady in red discover God?
10. How does the final poem sum up the dramatic and thematic journey of the play?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)