|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the character in Poem Seven say she could not have see her in her current situation?
(a) Her classmates.
(b) Her family.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her co-workers.
2. Which character relays the main narrative in Poem Three?
(a) The lady in green.
(b) The lady in purple.
(c) The lady in yellow.
(d) The lady in blue.
3. How does the character in Poem Seven feel physically in her situation?
(a) She feels tired.
(b) She feels numb.
(c) She feels pain.
(d) She feels relaxed.
4. When the other character's speak in Poem Two, what do they comment on?
(a) The fun they had in high school.
(b) Their favorite New Year's Eve.
(c) Their memories of baptism.
(d) Their sexual experiences.
5. What does the narrator mean when she says, "dark phrases of womanhood/ of never havin been a girl/ half-notes scattered/ without rhythm" in Poem One?
(a) She takes life seriously.
(b) Her life is scattered with no direction.
(c) Her life is on track and very focused.
(d) Her life is perfect.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many characters run off stage after the lights change at the end of Poem Five?
2. Early in Poem Three, what is the main character's favorite type of music?
3. Who is the first person to speak in the play?
4. What do the characters ironically suggest in Poem Six?
5. What does the main character in Poem Four make a list of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason do the characters give for dancing?
2. How does the language change at the end of Poem Nineteen? At what point at the end of the play does the language change?
3. Why do the characters end the play on a good note, despite the journey?
4. Describe the language used in Poem Nine.
5. Describe Poem Four.
6. Describe Poem Nine.
7. What is ironic about Poem Six?
8. How does Ntozake Shange juxtapose the images in Poems Six and Seven?
9. What does Poem One represent? What is its significance?
10. What is the purpose of Poem Six?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)