|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ties Poems Two, Three, Four, and Five in Sequence One together?
(a) The image of laughter.
(b) The image of singing.
(c) The image of dancing.
(d) The image of sorrow.
2. In Sequence One, which character says, "forty poems 2 plants &3 handmade notecards i left/ town so i cd send to you have been no help to me/ on my job"?
(a) The lady in yellow.
(b) The lady in green.
(c) The lady blue.
(d) The ladty in red.
3. At the end of Poem One, what type of colored girls does the narrator say this play is for?
(a) Those who have moved to the ends of their own rainbow.
(b) Those who have abandoned their rainbow.
(c) Those who have found refuge in a new rainbow.
(d) Those who have created their own rainbow.
4. Who is the first person to speak in the play?
(a) The lady in orange.
(b) The lady in brown.
(c) The lady in red.
(d) The lady in green.
5. Which character(s) run off at the end of Poem Six?
(a) The lady in red.
(b) The ladies in purple and orange.
(c) The lady in orange.
(d) The ladies in green and red.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the race of the characters in For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf?
2. When the other character's speak in Poem Two, what do they comment on?
3. What are the stage directions for all of the characters on stage at the end Poem Six?
4. What ties Poems Six and Seven in Sequence Two together?
5. In Poem Six, which characters narrate the poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the theme of Poem Three? How is this a theme of the poem?
2. What does the final dance represent?
3. Why do the characters end the play on a good note, despite the journey?
4. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Thirteen.
5. What is ironic about Poem Six?
6. How does Ntozake Shange juxtapose the images in Poems Six and Seven?
7. Why does the lady in brown open and close the play?
8. What issue is discussed in the final poem?
9. What does Poem One represent? What is its significance?
10. How is dance used in Poem Four?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)