|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the lady in orange do at the end of Poem Four?
(a) She reads her own letter to a man that she can't talk to anymore.
(b) She talks to the audience about love.
(c) She recaps what happened earlier in the poem.
(d) She convinces the main character to leave her man.
2. Based on Poem One, what is this play about?
(a) It is about African American women finding their voice.
(b) It is about finding love.
(c) It is about abused women in America.
(d) It is about single women and their pursuits.
3. In Sequence One, which character says, "sneakin in under age to slug's/ to stare ata real 'artiste'/ & every word outta imamu's mouth waz gospel"?
(a) The lady in yellow.
(b) The lady in blue.
(c) The lady in green.
(d) The lady in red.
4. What does the narrator mean when she says, "dark phrases of womanhood/ of never havin been a girl/ half-notes scattered/ without rhythm" in Poem One?
(a) Her life is scattered with no direction.
(b) Her life is on track and very focused.
(c) Her life is perfect.
(d) She takes life seriously.
5. What does the main character in Poem Three identify as her race/heritage?
(a) Mostly African American wih hints of Spanish.
(b) Mostly Spanish with hints of African American.
(c) Mostly White with hints of Spanish.
(d) Mostly African American with hints of White.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do all of the characters in For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf have in common?
2. Where is the lady in purple from?
3. What is the first word spoken in Poem Seven?
4. In Poem One, which character(s) say(s), "mama's little baby likes shortnin bread"?
5. How does the character in Poem Seven feel mentally about her situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the lady in yellow begin Poem Sixteen? What feelings does she convey in the poem?
2. How does Ntozake Shange juxtapose the images in Poems Six and Seven?
3. Describe the character in Poem Fourteen.
4. How did the lady in red discover God?
5. What contrasts and juxtapositions are apparent at the beginning of Poem Eleven?
6. How does the language change at the end of Poem Nineteen? At what point at the end of the play does the language change?
7. What does the final dance represent?
8. How is dance used in Poem Three?
9. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Two.
10. What is the purpose of Poem Seven?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)