|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of these folk songs does the cast of the play sing in Poem One?
(a) "Shake It Shimmy."
(b) "Little Sally Walker."
(c) "Riding Down the River."
(d) "Rollercoaster Ride."
2. Where is the lady in purple from?
(a) Outside Detroit.
(b) Outside Baltimore.
(c) Outside Houston.
(d) Outside San Francisco.
3. Who does the main character In Poem Three run off to see?
(a) Carlos Santana.
(b) Willie Colon.
(c) Celia Cruz.
(d) Tito Puente.
4. What is the only way that the lady in orange says she can communicate at the beginning of Poem Five?
(a) Through singing.
(b) Through writing letters.
(c) Through dancing.
(d) Through poetry.
5. Which character relays the main narrative in Poem Two?
(a) The lady in purple.
(b) The lady in red.
(c) The lady in yellow.
(d) The lady in green.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem Three, how old was the main character when she ran off?
2. What are the stage directions for all of the characters on stage at the end Poem Six?
3. At the end of Poem One, what type of colored girls does the narrator say this play is for?
4. What similarities exist between the cities that each character says that they are from?
5. What did the main character in Poem Four discover as a result of her relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the poetic imagery in Poem Seven.
2. What happened to Beau when he came back from the war? Why did Crystal have to get a court order against Beau?
3. What does Poem One represent? What is its significance?
4. What did Beau do after Crystal got a court order? What does Beau do on his last attempt to win Crystal back?
5. How is dance used in Poem Three?
6. What is the purpose of Poem Six?
7. Describe the language used in Poem Nine.
8. Why do the characters end the play on a good note, despite the journey?
9. What does Poem Eighteen allow the characters to do? What do the characters use the poem to describe?
10. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Four.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)