|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sequence One, which character says, "sneakin in under age to slug's/ to stare ata real 'artiste'/ & every word outta imamu's mouth waz gospel"?
(a) The lady in green.
(b) The lady in red.
(c) The lady in blue.
(d) The lady in yellow.
2. How does the main character in Poem Four refer to her relationship with her former boyfriend?
(a) "A last chance."
(b) "A crash course in love."
(c) "An experiment."
(d) "A test."
3. Which character relays the main narrative in Poem Two?
(a) The lady in yellow.
(b) The lady in purple.
(c) The lady in red.
(d) The lady in green.
4. Where is the lady in purple from?
(a) Outside Houston.
(b) Outside Baltimore.
(c) Outside Detroit.
(d) Outside San Francisco.
5. What does each character do before anyone starts to speak?
(a) Dances to a popular song.
(b) Runs on stage and freezes in a position of distress.
(c) Sings a popular song.
(d) Runs on stage and falls on the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the character in Poem Seven say she could not have see her in her current situation?
2. What is the setting of this work?
3. What do all of the characters in For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf have in common?
4. What ties Poems Six and Seven in Sequence Two together?
5. How does the narrator in Poem Seven tell her story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ntozake Shange juxtapose the images in Poems Six and Seven?
2. What happened to the main character's "stuff" in Poem Seventeen?
3. What does dance represent at the beginning of Sequence Four? What does dance represent at the end of Sequence Four?
4. How is dance used in Poem Three?
5. Based on the information in Poem One, what is the play about?
6. How does the final poem sum up the dramatic and thematic journey of the play?
7. What is the purpose of Poem Seven?
8. What contrasts are made in Poem Fifteen?
9. What is the theme of Poem Three? How is this a theme of the poem?
10. What does the lady in blue talk about in Poem Fifteen?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)