|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the other character's speak in Poem Two, what do they comment on?
(a) Their memories of baptism.
(b) Their sexual experiences.
(c) The fun they had in high school.
(d) Their favorite New Year's Eve.
2. Who is the artist that sings the song at the start of Poem Six?
(a) The Dells.
(b) Carlos Santana.
(c) Martha and the Vandellas.
(d) Willie Colon.
3. What is the title of Poem One?
(a) Dark phrases.
(c) No assistance.
4. Based on Poem One, what is a major theme of the play?
(c) An individual's relations to the gods.
(d) Freedom through story-telling.
5. Where is the lady in purple from?
(a) Outside Houston.
(b) Outside Baltimore.
(c) Outside Detroit.
(d) Outside San Francisco.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first word spoken in Poem Seven?
2. Who does the character in Poem Seven say she could not have see her in her current situation?
3. Where is the lady in brown from?
4. Who is the first person to speak in the play?
5. In Poem Seven, which character says,"tubes tables white washed windows/ grime from age wiped over once"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the lady in brown open and close the play?
2. Why does the lady in green call on white women and other men in Poem Seventeen?
3. How does the final poem sum up the dramatic and thematic journey of the play?
4. What happened to Beau when he came back from the war? Why did Crystal have to get a court order against Beau?
5. What happens in Poem Twelve? How do the women deal with the situation that arises?
6. What is ironic about Poem Six?
7. According to the stage directions, how does Sequence Four end?
8. What links Poems Six and Seven together?
9. What theme(s) are evident in Poem One and what is the meaning of this theme?
10. How is dance used in Poem Two?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)