|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator in Poem Fifteen suggest that black women should act like?
(a) Black men.
(b) White women.
(c) Hispanic women.
(d) White men.
2. In Poem Nine, why was the main character disqualified from a contest that she entered to see which child could read the most books?
(a) Because she did not read enough books.
(b) Because she was reading adult books.
(c) Because she did not complete the registration form correctly.
(d) Because she was African American.
3. Which character narrates Poem Fifteen?
(a) The lady in purple.
(b) The lady in orange.
(c) The lady in yellow.
(d) The lady in blue.
4. What does Beau do differently in his last attempt to win the main character back in Poem Nineteen?
(a) He gets dressed up.
(b) He brings flowers.
(c) He buys gifts for the kids.
(d) He takes the main character to dinner.
5. What event occurred that made the narrator of Poem Thirteen change the way that she danced?
(a) She met a new man at the bar.
(b) She saw the woman that her man left her for.
(c) Her boyfriend broke up with her.
(d) She found out her man was cheating on her.
6. What is Poem Ten about?
(a) A homeless woman who has to fend for her family.
(b) A short woman who longs to be tall.
(c) A crazy woman who kills her husband.
(d) A provocative woman who attracts men.
7. What character gives the narrative in Poem Eighteen?
(a) The lady in orange.
(b) The lady in blue.
(c) The lady in green.
(d) The lady in purple.
8. Where does the narrator say she "usedta live" in Poem Eleven?
(a) In the world.
(b) In Egypt.
(c) In Harlem.
(d) In Queens.
9. Who takes the "stuff" in Poem Seventeen?
(a) A stranger,
(b) The narrator's son.
(c) A friend of the family.
(d) The narrator's lover.
10. What is the title of Poem Seventeen?
(a) No More Love Poems.
(c) Somebody Almost Walked Off Wid Alla My Stuff.
(d) A Laying on of Hands.
11. What does the narrator say to begin Poem Sixteen?
(a) That she cannot love anymore.
(b) That she cannot fantasize.
(c) That she does not love men anymore.
(d) That she has lost touch with reality.
12. How does the narrator in Poem Fifteen describe the group that she thinks black women should become like?
(a) Dry with no rhythm.
(b) Unemotional and friendly.
(c) Talented and friendly.
(d) Smart with no desire for sexual pleasure.
13. In Poem Sixteen, what does the narrator want to do?
(a) Get over her broken heart.
(b) Stop loving the man that she loves.
(c) Find someone to love.
(d) Cherish her capacity to love.
14. How many kids do the main character and Beau have in Poem Nineteen?
15. Who narrates the story in Poem Twelve?
(a) The lady in red.
(b) The lady in blue.
(c) The lady in purple.
(d) The lady in green.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character of the story in Poem Eight?
2. What city is the main character in Poem Eight from?
3. What is the story about in Poem Twelve?
4. What feels strange to the narrator of Poem Thirteen?
5. Who does the main character in Poem Nine discover when she starts reading books from the adult section of the library?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)