|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the main character in Poem Eighteen speak with in the poem?
(a) An imaginary lover.
(b) An old lover.
(c) A best friend.
(d) A family member.
2. What does the narrator in Poem Fifteen think black woman deal with too much?
3. How does the narrator end Poem Fourteen?
(a) With a letter to her future husband.
(b) With another prayer for someone to love her as she is.
(c) With a warning to single women.
(d) With a plea to married women.
4. Which character tells the story in Poem Eight?
(a) The lady in yellow.
(b) The lady in green.
(c) The lady in orange.
(d) The lady in brown.
5. What was the profession of the main character in Poem Eight?
(a) A gypsy woman.
(b) A boat operator.
(c) A carnival dancer.
(d) A maid.
6. Who does the main character in Poem Nine discover when she starts reading books from the adult section of the library?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Malcolm X.
(c) Toussaint L'Ouverture.
(d) Geroge Washington Carver.
7. What does the narrator in Poem Seventeen want the person to do with her "stuff"?
(a) Give it to somepne else.
(b) Throw it away.
(c) Return it.
(d) Burn it.
8. What themes are the poems in Sequence Four built around?
(a) Pain and misery.
(b) Fear and Power.
(c) Love and relationships.
(d) Long lost love.
9. Who narrates the story in Poem Twelve?
(a) The lady in purple.
(b) The lady in blue.
(c) The lady in green.
(d) The lady in red.
10. What is Poem Fourteen about?
(a) The narrator's irritation with men.
(b) The narrator's need to be loved by a man.
(c) The narrator's love of friendship.
(d) The narrator's need for a new man.
11. Where does the narrator say she moved to in Poem Eleven?
(c) The world.
12. In Poem Sixteen, what does the narrator want to do?
(a) Cherish her capacity to love.
(b) Stop loving the man that she loves.
(c) Get over her broken heart.
(d) Find someone to love.
13. What is the title of Poem Nineteen?
(a) A Laying on of Hands.
(b) A Nite with Beau Wille Brown.
(d) No More Love Poems.
14. How are the ladies in blue, yellow, purple, and orange dancing at the start of Sequence Four?
(a) Like they are drowning in water.
(b) Like they are chocking.
(c) Like they are catching a disease.
(d) Like they are flying in the sky.
15. At the end of poem sequence four, which character dances and wakes up the other characters from their frozen state?
(a) The lady in green.
(b) The lady in red.
(c) The lady in blue.
(d) The lady in yellow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is the main character in Poem Eight from?
2. What event occurred that made the narrator of Poem Thirteen change the way that she danced?
3. Which character narrates Poem Fourteen?
4. In Poem Eleven, how does the narrator describe her current universe at the end of the poem?
5. Which character narrates Poem Sixteen?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)