|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes the "stuff" in Poem Seventeen?
(a) The narrator's lover.
(b) A friend of the family.
(c) The narrator's son.
(d) A stranger,
2. Which character in the play tells the story in Poem Eight?
(a) The lady in brown.
(b) The lady in purple.
(c) The lady in orange.
(d) The lady in green.
3. How does the narrator end Poem Fourteen?
(a) With a warning to single women.
(b) With another prayer for someone to love her as she is.
(c) With a letter to her future husband.
(d) With a plea to married women.
4. What event occurred that made the narrator of Poem Thirteen change the way that she danced?
(a) Her boyfriend broke up with her.
(b) She saw the woman that her man left her for.
(c) She found out her man was cheating on her.
(d) She met a new man at the bar.
5. How are the poems in Sequence Four different from earlier poems in the play?
(a) They use colloquial language.
(b) They are longer.
(c) They give a White woman's perspective on life.
(d) They are shorter.
6. What did the narrator of Poem Thirteen feel was redundant?
(a) Being a woman and being black.
(b) Being sensitive and being nice.
(c) Feeling sorrow and being black.
(d) Being smart and being a woman.
7. What does the main character do to keep her Beau away in Poem Nineteen?
(a) She changes her phone number.
(b) She gets a court order.
(c) She moves.
(d) She steals his car.
8. In what section of the library does the main character of Poem Nine find the books Cajun Katie and Christopher Robin?
(a) The reference section.
(b) The children's section.
(c) The adult section.
(d) The young adult section.
9. Which character narrates Poem Fifteen?
(a) The lady in yellow.
(b) The lady in blue.
(c) The lady in purple.
(d) The lady in orange.
10. How does the narrator in Poem Fifteen describe the group that she thinks black women should become like?
(a) Dry with no rhythm.
(b) Talented and friendly.
(c) Unemotional and friendly.
(d) Smart with no desire for sexual pleasure.
11. Who is the main character of the story in Poem Eight?
12. How do the women act towards each other at the end of the Poem Twelve?
(a) Like they were friends.
(b) Like they were sisters.
(c) Like they were cousins.
(d) Like they were enemies.
13. Where does the narrator say she "usedta live" in Poem Eleven?
(a) In Harlem.
(b) In Queens.
(c) In the world.
(d) In Egypt.
14. What words are the focus in Poem Eighteen?
(a) "I miss you."
(b) "I'm sorry."
(c) "I love you."
(d) "I forgive you."
15. According to the narrator of Poem Fourteen, what is she looking for in a man?
(a) Passoniate intimacy.
(c) A seamless love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who narrates the story in Poem Twelve?
2. What is the narrator referring to when she references her "stuff"?
3. Who does the main character in Poem Nine meet at the docks?
4. What is the title of Poem Eighteen?
5. How big does the narrator say her universe is in Poem Eleven?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)