|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of poem sequence four, which character dances and wakes up the other characters from their frozen state?
(a) The lady in red.
(b) The lady in green.
(c) The lady in yellow.
(d) The lady in blue.
2. What is the title of Poem Seventeen?
(a) Somebody Almost Walked Off Wid Alla My Stuff.
(b) A Laying on of Hands.
(d) No More Love Poems.
3. Which character narrates Poem Fourteen?
(a) The lady in blue.
(b) The lady in purple.
(c) The lady in green.
(d) The lady in orange.
4. What themes are the poems in Sequence Four built around?
(a) Long lost love.
(b) Pain and misery.
(c) Love and relationships.
(d) Fear and Power.
5. According to the narrator, what does she say someone did with her "stuff" in Poem Seventeen?
(a) Walked off with it.
(b) Hid it.
(c) Threw it away.
(d) Stole it.
6. In Poem Sixteen, what does the narrator want to do?
(a) Stop loving the man that she loves.
(b) Cherish her capacity to love.
(c) Find someone to love.
(d) Get over her broken heart.
7. What is the story about in Poem Twelve?
(a) Five women who fight over a man.
(b) Two women who take a trip together.
(c) Three women who see an attractive man.
(d) A group of women who despise being loved by a man.
8. What is the title of Poem Eighteen?
(c) A Nite with Beau Wille Brown.
(d) A Laying on of Hands.
9. Who does the main character in Poem Nine meet at the docks?
(a) Ramsey Armstrong.
(b) Toussaint Jones.
(c) Toussaint L'Ouverture.
(d) James Baldwin.
10. What city is the main character in Poem Eight from?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) Little Rock.
11. What feels strange to the narrator of Poem Thirteen?
12. Who takes the "stuff" in Poem Seventeen?
(a) A friend of the family.
(b) A stranger,
(c) The narrator's son.
(d) The narrator's lover.
13. What does Poem Thirteen's narrator say she tried to bring into people's lives?
(a) Pain and heartache.
(b) Love and joy.
(c) Love and lust.
(d) Joy and pain.
14. What does Beau do differently in his last attempt to win the main character back in Poem Nineteen?
(a) He brings flowers.
(b) He buys gifts for the kids.
(c) He takes the main character to dinner.
(d) He gets dressed up.
15. What dilemmas does the narrator in Poem Sixteen believe she is caught up in?
(a) The dilemmas of being emotional, black woman.
(b) The dilemmas of being a single, white woman.
(c) The dilemmas of being smart, rich, and black.
(d) The dilemmas of being a woman, alive, and black.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator in Poem Fifteen think black woman deal with too much?
2. What happens when the main character arrives to the docks at the end of Poem Nine?
3. What words are the focus in Poem Eighteen?
4. Who narrates the story in Poem Ten?
5. What does the narrator in Poem Sixteen feel she should not be dependent on?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)