|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beau threaten to do if the main character does not marry him in Poem Nineteen?
(a) To move back in.
(b) To drop the children out the window.
(c) To kill himself.
(d) To throw the children down the steps.
2. What did the narrator of Poem Thirteen feel was redundant?
(a) Being a woman and being black.
(b) Being sensitive and being nice.
(c) Being smart and being a woman.
(d) Feeling sorrow and being black.
3. Who does the main character in Poem Eighteen speak with in the poem?
(a) An imaginary lover.
(b) A family member.
(c) A best friend.
(d) An old lover.
4. Who narrates the story in Poem Twelve?
(a) The lady in blue.
(b) The lady in green.
(c) The lady in red.
(d) The lady in purple.
5. How big does the narrator say her universe is in Poem Eleven?
(a) Six blocks.
(b) An infinite amount of blocks.
(c) Twelve blocks.
(d) Two blocks.
6. In Poem Eleven, how does the narrator describe her current universe at the end of the poem?
(a) As a world of cruelty.
(b) As a world of hope.
(c) As a world of excitement.
(d) As a world of longing.
7. Who does the narrator in Poem Fifteen suggest that black women should act like?
(a) Hispanic women.
(b) Black men.
(c) White women.
(d) White men.
8. What is the story about in Poem Twelve?
(a) Five women who fight over a man.
(b) A group of women who despise being loved by a man.
(c) Two women who take a trip together.
(d) Three women who see an attractive man.
9. What does Beau do differently in his last attempt to win the main character back in Poem Nineteen?
(a) He takes the main character to dinner.
(b) He buys gifts for the kids.
(c) He brings flowers.
(d) He gets dressed up.
10. What feels strange to the narrator of Poem Thirteen?
11. Which character narrates Poem Seventeen?
(a) The lady in blue.
(b) The lady in purple.
(c) The lady in yellow.
(d) The lady in green.
12. What themes are the poems in Sequence Four built around?
(a) Long lost love.
(b) Fear and Power.
(c) Pain and misery.
(d) Love and relationships.
13. What does the narrator in Poem Seventeen want the person to do with her "stuff"?
(a) Return it.
(b) Give it to somepne else.
(c) Throw it away.
(d) Burn it.
14. What happens when the main character arrives to the docks at the end of Poem Nine?
(a) She rents a boat and sailed off.
(b) She runs into some of her friends.
(c) She reads one of her library books.
(d) She meets a man named Toussaint.
15. What does the narrator say to begin Poem Sixteen?
(a) That she cannot fantasize.
(b) That she does not love men anymore.
(c) That she cannot love anymore.
(d) That she has lost touch with reality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Poem Ten about?
2. At the end of Poem Eighteen, what suggestion does the narrator make to the person with whom she is speaking with?
3. Where does the narrator say she "usedta live" in Poem Eleven?
4. Which character narrates Poem Sixteen?
5. What is the name of the main character in Poem Nineteen?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)