|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dilemmas does the narrator in Poem Sixteen believe she is caught up in?
(a) The dilemmas of being a woman, alive, and black.
(b) The dilemmas of being smart, rich, and black.
(c) The dilemmas of being emotional, black woman.
(d) The dilemmas of being a single, white woman.
2. In Poem Nine, why was the main character disqualified from a contest that she entered to see which child could read the most books?
(a) Because she did not read enough books.
(b) Because she was reading adult books.
(c) Because she did not complete the registration form correctly.
(d) Because she was African American.
3. Who is the main character of the story in Poem Eight?
4. What is Beau's full name in Poem Nineteen?
(a) Willie Brown.
(b) Jerome Smalls.
(c) James Johnson.
(d) Brandon Best.
5. What does the narrator in Poem Fifteen think black woman deal with too much?
6. What is the name of the main character in Poem Nineteen?
7. What does the narrator in Poem Seventeen want the person to do with her "stuff"?
(a) Give it to somepne else.
(b) Throw it away.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Return it.
8. Which character narrates Poem Fourteen?
(a) The lady in green.
(b) The lady in purple.
(c) The lady in blue.
(d) The lady in orange.
9. Who takes the "stuff" in Poem Seventeen?
(a) The narrator's son.
(b) A stranger,
(c) The narrator's lover.
(d) A friend of the family.
10. According to the narrator, what happens when Beau learns that the main character is pregnant again in Poem Nineteen?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He cries.
(c) He celebrates.
(d) He beats her.
11. Where does the narrator say she "usedta live" in Poem Eleven?
(a) In Egypt.
(b) In Queens.
(c) In the world.
(d) In Harlem.
12. In Poem Nineteen, which character narrates the story?
(a) The lady in purple.
(b) The lady in green.
(c) The lady in red.
(d) The lady in orange.
13. How many kids do the main character and Beau have in Poem Nineteen?
14. What is the story about in Poem Twelve?
(a) Two women who take a trip together.
(b) Five women who fight over a man.
(c) A group of women who despise being loved by a man.
(d) Three women who see an attractive man.
15. In Poem Eleven, how does the narrator describe her current universe at the end of the poem?
(a) As a world of cruelty.
(b) As a world of longing.
(c) As a world of hope.
(d) As a world of excitement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big does the narrator say her universe is in Poem Eleven?
2. According to the narrator of Poem Fourteen, what is she looking for in a man?
3. Which character narrates Poem Sixteen?
4. At the end of poem sequence four, which character dances and wakes up the other characters from their frozen state?
5. What city is the main character in Poem Eight from?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)