|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator in Poem Seventeen say should handle her stuff?
(a) Her husband is the only one.
(b) She is the only one.
(c) Her lover is the only one.
(d) Her best friend is the only one.
2. At the end of Poem Eighteen, what suggestion does the narrator make to the person with whom she is speaking with?
(a) Never say "I'm sorry."
(b) Admit shortcomings up front.
(c) Stop cheating with women that she knows.
(d) Be careful who you fall in love with.
3. Which character narrates Poem Fifteen?
(a) The lady in purple.
(b) The lady in blue.
(c) The lady in orange.
(d) The lady in yellow.
4. What does the main character in Poem Ten allow men to do?
(a) She allows them to hit her.
(b) She gives them no allowances.
(c) She allows them to spend the night.
(d) She allows them to spend her money
5. According to the narrator, what does she say someone did with her "stuff" in Poem Seventeen?
(a) Walked off with it.
(b) Hid it.
(c) Stole it.
(d) Threw it away.
6. What event occurred that made the narrator of Poem Thirteen change the way that she danced?
(a) She found out her man was cheating on her.
(b) She saw the woman that her man left her for.
(c) She met a new man at the bar.
(d) Her boyfriend broke up with her.
7. What is the name of the main character in Poem Nineteen?
8. What does Beau threaten to do if the main character does not marry him in Poem Nineteen?
(a) To kill himself.
(b) To move back in.
(c) To throw the children down the steps.
(d) To drop the children out the window.
9. What is the title of Poem Nineteen?
(a) No More Love Poems.
(c) A Laying on of Hands.
(d) A Nite with Beau Wille Brown.
10. What feels strange to the narrator of Poem Thirteen?
11. Who takes the "stuff" in Poem Seventeen?
(a) The narrator's son.
(b) A stranger,
(c) The narrator's lover.
(d) A friend of the family.
12. Where does the narrator say she moved to in Poem Eleven?
(d) The world.
13. In Poem Nine, why was the main character disqualified from a contest that she entered to see which child could read the most books?
(a) Because she was African American.
(b) Because she did not complete the registration form correctly.
(c) Because she did not read enough books.
(d) Because she was reading adult books.
14. How many kids do the main character and Beau have in Poem Nineteen?
15. According to Poem Ten, at what time do women from Louisiana shell peas?
(a) 5:00 pm.
(b) 3:00 pm.
(c) 4:00 pm.
(d) 6:00 pm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Poem Fourteen about?
2. In Poem Sixteen, what does the narrator want to do?
3. Where did the main character Beau return from psychologically damaged in Poem Nineteen?
4. What is the name of Beau's daughter in Poem Nineteen?
5. According to the narrator, what happens when Beau learns that the main character is pregnant again in Poem Nineteen?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)