|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator in Poem Seventeen want the person to do with her "stuff"?
(a) Return it.
(b) Throw it away.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Give it to somepne else.
2. According to Poem Ten, at what time do women from Louisiana shell peas?
(a) 5:00 pm.
(b) 6:00 pm.
(c) 4:00 pm.
(d) 3:00 pm.
3. What does Poem Thirteen's narrator say she tried to bring into people's lives?
(a) Love and joy.
(b) Love and lust.
(c) Pain and heartache.
(d) Joy and pain.
4. What is the story about in Poem Twelve?
(a) Two women who take a trip together.
(b) Three women who see an attractive man.
(c) Five women who fight over a man.
(d) A group of women who despise being loved by a man.
5. Who does the main character in Poem Nine meet at the docks?
(a) Toussaint Jones.
(b) Ramsey Armstrong.
(c) James Baldwin.
(d) Toussaint L'Ouverture.
6. In Poem Sixteen, what does the narrator want to do?
(a) Find someone to love.
(b) Cherish her capacity to love.
(c) Get over her broken heart.
(d) Stop loving the man that she loves.
7. According to the narrator, what does she say someone did with her "stuff" in Poem Seventeen?
(a) Stole it.
(b) Threw it away.
(c) Hid it.
(d) Walked off with it.
8. Who narrates the story in Poem Ten?
(a) The lady in blue.
(b) The lady in green.
(c) The lady in red.
(d) The lady in purple.
9. What was the profession of the main character in Poem Eight?
(a) A boat operator.
(b) A carnival dancer.
(c) A maid.
(d) A gypsy woman.
10. What is Poem Ten about?
(a) A homeless woman who has to fend for her family.
(b) A crazy woman who kills her husband.
(c) A provocative woman who attracts men.
(d) A short woman who longs to be tall.
11. Which character tells the story in Poem Eight?
(a) The lady in yellow.
(b) The lady in orange.
(c) The lady in brown.
(d) The lady in green.
12. Who does the narrator in Poem Seventeen say should handle her stuff?
(a) Her best friend is the only one.
(b) Her lover is the only one.
(c) Her husband is the only one.
(d) She is the only one.
13. In Poem Nine, why was the main character disqualified from a contest that she entered to see which child could read the most books?
(a) Because she was African American.
(b) Because she did not complete the registration form correctly.
(c) Because she did not read enough books.
(d) Because she was reading adult books.
14. What is Beau's full name in Poem Nineteen?
(a) Willie Brown.
(b) Jerome Smalls.
(c) James Johnson.
(d) Brandon Best.
15. How are the ladies in blue, yellow, purple, and orange dancing at the start of Sequence Four?
(a) Like they are drowning in water.
(b) Like they are catching a disease.
(c) Like they are chocking.
(d) Like they are flying in the sky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the main character in Poem Nine discover when she starts reading books from the adult section of the library?
2. Who does the main character in Poem Eighteen speak with in the poem?
3. Who is the main character of the story in Poem Eight?
4. Which character narrates Poem Thirteen?
5. What character gives the narrative in Poem Eighteen?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)