|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the main character in Poem Nineteen?
2. Where did the main character Beau return from psychologically damaged in Poem Nineteen?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
3. According to the narrator, what does she say someone did with her "stuff" in Poem Seventeen?
(a) Stole it.
(b) Threw it away.
(c) Hid it.
(d) Walked off with it.
4. Which colorful character from the play represents the main character in the story portrayed through Poem Eight?
(a) The lady in green.
(b) The lady in brown.
(c) The lady in red.
(d) The lady in blue.
5. Which character narrates Poem Eleven?
(a) The lady in blue.
(b) The lady in purple.
(c) The lady in pink.
(d) The lady in green.
6. According to Poem Ten, at what time do women from Louisiana shell peas?
(a) 4:00 pm.
(b) 5:00 pm.
(c) 6:00 pm.
(d) 3:00 pm.
7. What was the profession of the main character in Poem Eight?
(a) A gypsy woman.
(b) A carnival dancer.
(c) A boat operator.
(d) A maid.
8. What does Beau do differently in his last attempt to win the main character back in Poem Nineteen?
(a) He takes the main character to dinner.
(b) He brings flowers.
(c) He buys gifts for the kids.
(d) He gets dressed up.
9. In Poem Nineteen, which character narrates the story?
(a) The lady in green.
(b) The lady in red.
(c) The lady in orange.
(d) The lady in purple.
10. How does the narrator in Poem Fifteen describe the group that she thinks black women should become like?
(a) Dry with no rhythm.
(b) Smart with no desire for sexual pleasure.
(c) Unemotional and friendly.
(d) Talented and friendly.
11. What does Poem Thirteen's narrator say she tried to bring into people's lives?
(a) Joy and pain.
(b) Pain and heartache.
(c) Love and joy.
(d) Love and lust.
12. What does Beau threaten to do if the main character does not marry him in Poem Nineteen?
(a) To throw the children down the steps.
(b) To kill himself.
(c) To move back in.
(d) To drop the children out the window.
13. What dilemmas does the narrator in Poem Sixteen believe she is caught up in?
(a) The dilemmas of being a woman, alive, and black.
(b) The dilemmas of being a single, white woman.
(c) The dilemmas of being smart, rich, and black.
(d) The dilemmas of being emotional, black woman.
14. According to the narrator, what happens when Beau learns that the main character is pregnant again in Poem Nineteen?
(a) He cries.
(b) He beats her.
(c) He celebrates.
(d) He kisses her.
15. What city is the main character in Poem Eight from?
(a) Little Rock.
(d) New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character gives the narrative in Poem Eighteen?
2. Who does the main character in Poem Nine discover when she starts reading books from the adult section of the library?
3. Who narrates the story in Poem Ten?
4. Where does the narrator say she moved to in Poem Eleven?
5. In Poem Fourteen, what does the narrator say she lacks in order to look for love?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)