|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _______ Craven, walking along the bank of the creek, had just about given up on the shark when he saw something bobbing in the water. It was Lester.
2. The attack made the ________________ in the newspapers.
(a) Back pages.
(b) Middle pages.
(c) Second pages.
3. The shark withstood the vengeance of man and days enduring life-threatening fresh water and made its way to ______________ Bay.
4. Why did the shark do this to Renny?
(a) Probably to sate his hunger.
(b) Probably to get a sense of his size.
(c) Probably to see what kind of creature he was.
(d) Probably to see if he would taste good.
5. Joseph Dunn, his brother Michael and their friend Jerry Hollohan in __________________, a community downstream from the town of Matawan, had missed the warnings and cut through the woods for a quick swim in the creek.
(b) Cliff Falls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had drawn the shark?
2. Dr. Sir Victor Coppleson, __________________ surgeon, coined the phrase "rogue shark."
3. Hearing about the attacks, ichthyologist John Nichols drove from New York City to the Matawan Creek. Where did he stop first?
4. ________________ were strapped to the boats as gunmen stood waiting for the shark to surface.
5. The man the reporters visited was director of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had occurred by July 9th? Why?
2. Why might Bruder's legs not have been satisfying for the shark?
3. Describe what took place on July 7, 1916.
4. After the attack on Charles Bruder, what happened to the news regarding the shark? Why did this happen?
5. Describe the health of the average great white. How does this compare to the juvenile shark that attacked in 1916?
6. How did the boys react to Lester Stilwell being pull under by the shark? Was this a good idea? Why or why not?
7. How was John Nichols finally forced to believe that sharks could be deadly to humans?
8. What proof does Chapter 11 give to suggest this was a young shark?
9. How did Renny's cousin and friends react to the scratch marks on Renny's body and his fear? Why might they have reacted in this way?
10. What was done to try to catch the shark? Why did people react this way?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)