|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The man the reporters visited was director of what?
(a) Liberty Science Center.
(b) The Rose Center.
(c) The American Museum of Natural History.
(d) The Sony Wonder Lab.
2. On July ____, 1916, a small group of men and their boats were organized to hunt the man-eater down.
3. Benjamin Everingham had been instructed to bring a rifle and ax along. Why did he not bring any weapons?
(a) He thought there was no real threat.
(b) He could not find a rifle or ax.
(c) He did not feel comfortable carrying weapons.
(d) He forgot.
4. Suddenly, Joseph was being pulled down by his leg. His brother Michael and a rescuer, Jacob Lefferts, both leaped in the water and tried to wrest Joseph from the shark's mouth. They were able to pull Joseph out and onto whose boat?
(a) Renny Cartan's.
(d) Captain Cottrell's.
5. What did the men do to attract the shark?
(a) They spread trails of blood behind their boats.
(b) They swam in the water around the boat.
(c) They called out for the shark.
(d) They shot into the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. The US Bureau of ______________ declared that people should not be deterred from going into the waters since "sharks were not vicious" (p. 82). Sharks were deemed to be less a threat to man than horses and dogs.
2. What had drawn the shark?
3. The shark hunters spotted what and shot at it repeatedly?
4. This doctor insisted what?
5. Why is it difficult to catch serial-killing man-eating sharks?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)