|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was wrong with the North Atlantic region for the shark?
(a) It had too many animals from which to choose.
(b) It was very cold.
(c) It did not offer him many food choices.
(d) It was very warm.
2. The shark craved large mammals rich with what?
3. An influx of salt water to the creek did what?
(a) Confused the shark.
(b) It helped give the shark new life.
(c) Forced the shark to enter the creek.
(d) Made the shark ill.
4. What had drawn the shark?
(a) The warm water.
(b) The smell of the boys.
(c) The sounds of the boys.
(d) The splashing of the boys.
5. There was a report of a thirteen-foot tiger shark that was towed ashore while still alive regurgitating, among other items, what?
(a) A small school of fish.
(b) A well-preserved human arm.
(c) A squid.
(d) A rubber tire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the shark do to Renny?
2. Fisher immediately closed his ____________ shop and ran to the creek.
3. Dr. Herbert Cooley at Keyport tended to Joseph when he was brought ashore. Joseph's ______________ received a large bite. The doctor treated the wound and had Joseph rushed to the hospital.
4. The US Bureau of ______________ declared that people should not be deterred from going into the waters since "sharks were not vicious" (p. 82). Sharks were deemed to be less a threat to man than horses and dogs.
5. Coppleson based his theory on the incidence of shark attacks that occurred when?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Renny's cousin and friends react to the scratch marks on Renny's body and his fear? Why might they have reacted in this way?
2. Whom did newspaper reporters in New York contact regarding shark attacks? Why did they contact this man?
3. How did the boys react to Lester Stilwell being pull under by the shark? Was this a good idea? Why or why not?
4. Why might Bruder's legs not have been satisfying for the shark?
5. What might have caused the shark to head north?
6. What is a rogue shark? How did this term come about?
7. After the attack on Charles Bruder, what happened to the news regarding the shark? Why did this happen?
8. What was done to try to catch the shark? Why did people react this way?
9. To what animal is a shark compared? How is this belief supported?
10. Describe the first realization that a shark had entered the Matawan Creek.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)