|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _________________ miles up the coast from Beach Haven, the New Essex and Sussex Hotel occupied a large piece of real estate on the coast of Spring Lake.
2. What did Dowling swear?
(a) He would never swim again.
(b) He would catch the shark.
(c) He would never swim in the ocean again.
(d) He would help to save those attacked by sharks.
3. After the shark attacked, what had happened to Bruder?
(a) The shark bumped into him.
(b) The shark had bitten off his feet.
(c) The shark had scraped his side.
(d) The shark had bitten his hand.
4. The beach-goers of that year made up the largest gathering in the ____________ to date.
5. Noted _________________ Dr. John Treadwell Nichols was called in to investigate the attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. Successive rows of additional teeth are poised behind the functional teeth, ready to replace them when they are discarded. Every ______________ weeks, a new, serrated set of teeth replaces the current set.
2. Many years later, ichthyologist George Burgess concluded that the shark was a _________, serial killer, but in the rhetoric of the day, the shark was a sea monster.
3. As beach goers ran in to try to pull Charles ashore, the shark with bits of Charles' flesh in his mouth, did what?
4. As Gertrude stroked along parallel to the coastline, what happened to her?
5. The very next day, Gertrude Schuyler, from _________________, and her family were at a resort across from the spot where the shark had killed Charles Vansant.
Short Essay Questions
1. What led the shark to Matawan?
2. Describe the 1891 experiment. Is this a valid experiment? Why or why not?
3. How do events in this story prove that not everyone had heard about the man-eating shark?
4. Why does the great white still remain much of a mystery today?
5. What happened to both Joseph and Stanley Fisher?
6. Describe the attack on Bruder.
7. Why might Bruder's legs not have been satisfying for the shark?
8. Why might the hotel have kept Charles' death a secret?
9. How did Renny's cousin and friends react to the scratch marks on Renny's body and his fear? Why might they have reacted in this way?
10. What is a rogue shark? How did this term come about?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)